Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't play until I get home from work, so I ask:

What kind of online multiplayer game options are there? Singles and doubles, tournament, etc? Can you change match length, court type etc? Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So the online multiplayer is tie-breakers only? You can't play a bunch of games or a bunch of sets? That's terrible.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

From what I see you can do sets with people. You stay in the same room after a round. It's just you can't set it to keep going and just have to re-ready up

Playing 5 tie breakers over and over is not the same as playing, you know, an actual tennis match in the structure that tennis is supposed to be played in. It would be like having a golf game where you can play online multiplayer but you can only play 2 holes and have to exit and reload a new game to play another 2 more, 9 separate times. How do they not just have a simple menu that lets you choose how many sets you want to play, with X amount of games per set? (Like every tennis game ever to exist)

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me with it's "Amazing game missing 1 basic feature that has existed for 20 years" shtick.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was wrong. You can do normal rear end matches. Watching a couple friends play normal matches with each other, not just tie breakers.

Yes! Thank you for confirming this. That is great to hear.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I absolutely loved Mario Tennis on the 64 and played the poo poo out of it. Will I like this game?

I was interested in this strictly because I love Mario Tennis 64. I've only played the demo (will play the full game as soon as I'm off work today), but that was enough to sell me on it. I think it's safe to say if you liked Mario Tennis 64 you will like this game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Less single player chat and more multiplayer chat please.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just got home to play the game. I jumped right into multiplayer without touching single player, and started off with the simple mode tournament. I’m 3-0 and in the semi finals right now but every match is loving tense as hell. I’m using chain chomp and basically just overpowering people. Rosalina has definitely been my hardest opponent so far.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Went 5-0 to win my first tournament. Final match I beat someone with 5000 points. I have a feeling I’m gonna like this game 😊

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the voice chat app available for this game? How do I talk with a friend?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also how the hell do I play with a friend? My buddy is online and I’m in free play but it won’t let me select the invite friends button?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

quaunaut posted:

Having the lob button, if pressed twice, turn into a trick shot is one of the worst possible control decisions I could imagine. I genuinely cannot fathom who could think that was a good idea.

Just use A->B to lob.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do I invite a friend to play with me online!?!?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ok so to play with a friend you both have to create a room with the same exact preferences, then one person has to back out, and THEN you should see your friends name/icon there to join. As far as I can see you CANNOT play doubles online with a friend against other real people (doubles online as in I’m at my house and my friend is at his house). Nintendo online multiplayer is terrible as always.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RME posted:

I still haven't been able to find anyone to test this with, by the way

You cannot. What you CAN do, is have one person set up a doubles only room, and then have your friend do a normal game search. Hopefully they will get put into your room, and then you will have to wait for 2 strangers to fill the room via matchmaking (can take a long time). If you manage to do that then you can play doubles but it’s random partnering so you won’t be able to be on your buddies team every game. :yeah:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Jeez louise, Nintendo really needs to fix the balance issues in the online mode. I have like 70 points and was matched up against somebody with over 14,000!

More points =/= more skill

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea that’s absolutely a feature of the tourney mode in the full game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

murked by dragon posted:

there's also an extremely irritating bug that seemingly at random will change whether motion controls are on or not during tournament play

I haven't played much but I hadn't noticed a difference between having motion controls on or off. Does your character spaz out if you tilt the controller or something?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

It lets you aim your special shots by tilting, like in Zelda. It’s great.

Oh that's great. Why wouldn't you want that on?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ZeButler posted:

Yes, we are on the Nintengoons discord, and generally someone will ask in the Tennis channel if people want to play doubles. The person that asks can even be you! It might cause others in your time zone to speak up as well.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask if people want to play, because a game of doubles with voice chat is great (except when the AI's involved).

How are you using voice chat on a system that doesn't support voice chat?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

How is a group organizing matches on discord using voice.

That's a real thinker.

Sorry I’ve never used discord I thought it was an irc type deal. I am not hip I guess.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like this game would be so much better if trick shots didn’t exist.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Is there a way to play doubles with a friend against randoms online?

Not easily no! You have to create a doubles lobby and hope he can get in before it fills with randoms. Then the teams are randomly assigned every match! :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Will I ever win a tournament? I get to the championship pretty much every time and always lose. :smith:

I made sure I won one on release day so I never have to play again.