Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Super helpful. So is there any a reason to do a normal shot over a double tap shot?

Double-tap Powerful shots go faster but they tend to go down the middle of the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

It's changing between matches. I haven't changed the settings and it went from being off for the first three matches of a tournament to on in the semi finals and it cost me my loving match because all of a sudden my controller jiggles the cursor outside the court. I have no loving idea what's going on.

Clearly it's telling you to use the gyro controls

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

How can Boo even play tennis

I'm staring it in the face the entire time

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

But they're not very good!

Also I'm on tilt because I can't seem to get momentum against anyone. I'm building meter about half as fast as everyone else and they're getting super charged shots seemingly instantly. What am I doing wrong? I'm returning red with blue and visa versa and purple with purple.

The best way to regain momentum is with trick shots. Even if you do it late and spend bar, it'll still be a near-full-strength shot.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I still have yet to win a tournament. I vastly prefer Classic mode. I got to the semi-finals only to lose to a vastly more experienced Boo. I was playing Chain Chomp, who I can't say I'm really fond of, but CC has some insane coverage. I was returning things I had no business being close to. Still, I had trouble reading him as a power character, everything I hit felt pretty week.

How does one do a proper smash shot in this game? Before there were stars you could run up to them and smash a ball for a good powerful shot, but I can't consistently pull it off. And what's the R button Leap shot all about?

The power of your shot depends partly on where you're positioned where the ball lands. If you're too far away from the ball your character will lunge for it, but the shot will be very weak.

When any other character does this you'll see them visibly break form and stumble but Chomp is literally just a giant sphere so you can't really notice. So it looks like its reach is wider than it really is. That's why your shots aren't as strong as they could be.

As far as stars are concerned, this got shown on the Nintengoons discord: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yqhB5A9YPwkeEadGa86LCvU8ZjW0tmZ-vOP9LSBNts/mobilebasic

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

soggybagel posted:

One thing that is a recurring slight annoyance is that even if you're in the right position and you have a full charged shot the game doesn't really let you hit a shot right down the line. Its annoying because I do think it takes a tad bit of strategy/mind game element out of it.

If you double-tap the button for a powerful shot, those tend to go down the middle more than single-tap shots.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The defensive characters are really undertuned, but a bigger problem is that playing the net seems like it's very low-risk medium-reward. It's unlikely you'll miss a return if you position yourself right and hammer buttons.

Lob shots are supposed to counter this, but it's not especially difficult to return those, especially with trick shots, and especially with defensive characters. It seems even more brutal in Simple mode, weirdly enough, since you don't have access to Zone shots and spikes seem harder to come by.

I'm at a loss for how to deal with this.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Just never hit X, it's terrible. Use the right stick for trick shots. use A+B and B+A for lobs and drops. X is only there as a concession for using single joycons. Nintendo should release a circle pad pro for Joycons.

I disagree? I've had a few annoying mis-inputs with the right stick, and I find using the left stick and double-tap X to be more precise and more comfortable.

I think this might come down to personal preference though.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I've been playing Simple mode and I keep getting wrecked by my own lob shots.

Whenever an opponent has to run back and break form to return a lob it sends another lob back to my half of the court, but no matter how long I charge any of my shots I always return a wimpy little tap shot that travels at like five miles an hour and gets slammed back into my face.

So what's the actual play I need to be doing here?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I haven't been able to make that work. The return takes so long to reach me that the opponent has plenty of time to get back into position.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Homestar Runner posted:

I think the situation he's describing doesn't result in a star landing marker, it's just a floaty ball with no spin trail

And like OP I have the same probalo. My dude is at the net and should be able to just smash those away Pete Sampras style but for some reason he taps it back like an idiot

Yeah, it's this. It's kind of frustrating!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

Bowser Jr. and Trick Shots are getting nerfed soon.

https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/35399

Shamelessly stolen translations:

1. The range of the backwards trick shot has been reduced (the "cone width")

2. The amount of energy gained from successful backwards trick shots have been reduced

3. The distance of horizontal trick shots have been reduced

4. The cone width of horizontal trick shots have been reduced

5. The timing to pull of successful trick shots in general is stricter

6. Doing a late trick shot uses up more energy

7. In order to do a body shot from a zone serve it has to bounce once.

8. Bowser Jr's charge move speed has been reduced

9. Bowser Jr's "turning angle" has been reduced (I have no idea what this means lol)

10. There will be more balancing for the entire roster by the August tournament

I wonder if this means he'll have inertia like Koopa does.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I started playing simple and it such a better experience. If you are burning out because magic super powers are ruining your tennis experience, it is right there.

I've been doing this. You gotta wait longer between games though

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Deltron 3030 posted:

It's a bit strange that they give you like 10 seconds to cancel a tournament match once you see the player and their character. Couldn't you just bail every time you see you are up against a strong character?

On a related note, gently caress you Waluigi! (Editor's note: I also play as Waluigi)

This happens to me all the time and I play Bowser. It's frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The update is live, boys and girls! Go get it!