Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

:objection: I have no idea what Ace Attorney is!
The main Ace Attorney games are courtroom drama turned anime as hell, featuring heavy riffs on the Japanese legal system, cross-examinations of animals, and ancient mystic villages in Japan California. The main stars of the series are Phoenix Wright(main character of the first three games), Apollo Justice(introduced in the fourth game) & Athena Cykes(introduced in the fifth game).

The Investigations(AAI for short) series are side games, featuring none of the typical courtroom proceedings or mystical superpowers AA fans are used to. Instead, they're primarily investigation/detective games, starring Phoenix's longtime rival & star prosecutor Miles Edgeworth.

Games? Plural?
Yup! Investigations 1 got released in the US. Investigations 2 never did, but there's a surprisingly high-quality fan translation to fill the void. I plan on playing both. AAI2 will get its own thread if/when I come to it, just to avoid clutter.

Where the hell is Phoenix?
:iiam:, but that's not important to the game's plot. This is Edgeworth's story, not his.

Music?
Pro-click. All of it. Even if you're not normally someone who clicks the music links in a screenshot LP. Brand new tracks will be denoted with :siren: sirens :siren: after the first update.

:siren: Spoiler Policy :siren:
Spoilers, including tagged spoilers, for anything happening in the Investigations games are banned. Half the point of these games is figuring out the mysteries, and spoilers would ruin the fun for people not already familiar with it.
Spoilers for anything from AA4 onward should be tagged. These games canonically take place between AA3 and AA4, so anything up to the end of Trials and Tribulations is not considered a spoiler. That said, knowledge of those games isn't really required to appreciate the Investigations games, so don't be intimidated if you're out of the loop. I'll drop some tidbits on AA1-3 when I think it helps newcomers understand what's going on, but they'll be infrequent - AAI is mostly self-contained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Updates

Turnabout Visitor
Intro+Beginning of the Investigation | Investigation 2 | Argument VS Portsman | Hallway Investigation | Argument VS Portsman 2 | Case End

Turnabout Airlines
Intro | Lounge Investigation | Argument VS Lablanc | Gift Shop Investigation | Franziska Appears | Argument VS Franziska | Flight Attendant's Room | Cargo Hold | Cargo Hold 2 | Argument VS Meele | Case End

The Kidnapped Turnabout
Intro+Meeting Kay | Meeting Lang | Meekins | Argument VS Lang & Meekins | Oldbag | Recreation with Little Thief | Arguments VS Lang 2 | Questioning Lauren and Ernest | Kidnappers' Hideout | Pendant Truths | Arguments vs Lance and Lauren | Surprise Evidence from Ernest

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 20, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Let's get this show on the road.

The chapter select has images which look...less than great when you don't have an actual DS spacing out the top and bottom screens.

My commentary will be fairly minimal other than pointing out what we're doing once we get to actual gameplay. For now, enjoy a cutscene.

Ace Attorney Investigations - Prologue

A gunshot rings out.

Investigation ~ Opening 2009

Unlike most AA games, in Investigations most of the game takes place from a third person perspective, and every character you can talk to(plus Edgeworth) has a sprite on the overworld.

This plus the usual talking sprites means that a lot of animations happen. So many that this LP would take forever if I made gifs of all of them. Instead I'll be focusing on the interesting ones.

For those completely out of the loop, this is Edgeworth. He became a prosecutor at the age of 20 and was famed for having a perfect record until some nobody named Phoenix Wright defeated him in a trial. He has a reputation for being ruthless & humorless but effective, although he's softened over the years.

There's a lot more to say about him, but I'll sprinkle it in as needed instead of giving you a paragraph infodump straight out of the gate.

(I hope Detective Gumshoe has been keeping an eye on my office. And keeping it clean.)

(Hm? What’s this smell...? It’s very familiar...Blood?)

Suspense

................Shut up.
Hmph. You’ve got some nerve, committing murder in a prosecutor’s office.

Is that a threat?

What?
No one gets away with committing murder in my office. No one.

And I work as a prosecutor in my local district. Little did I know that upon my return home after a month abroad, I would be thrust into a multitude of cases, and some very frantic and busy days.

I hope you like this room, because we're going to be here for quite a while. Future cases involve more locations, but the first case keeps it simple.

Very well. Please continue your investigation.

Forensics: Yes, sir!

For longer gifs that have dialogue in them, I'll transcribe the text below for your convenience.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Mr. Edgeworth, sir!! Are you OK, sir!?

Keep it down, Detective. This is a crime scene.

You'll learn everything you need to know about Gumshoe quickly enough. All you need to know right now is that he's one of the best characters in the franchise.

No, I'm perfectly fine. However...

Get used to this. This game really loves switching between portait dialogue mode and overworld mode at the drop of a hat. Incidentally, some of the animations from the large portraits carry over to the smaller sprites. I'll be using those to approximate what the dialogue portraits should be, since the tiny sprites would look awful for that purpose.

I'll say. The culprit sullied my floor with dirt rather well. No one gets away with tracking mud into my office.
Whoa! Sounds like you're getting really burned up over this whole thing!

Ho ho! That's just like you, Mr. Edgeworth! OK! Time to do some investigating!
Agreed. Our first course of action is to gather relevant facts and leads.

(So I'll keep any leads or information we find etched in the forefront of my mind.) Speaking of things that pique my curiosity...Why of all places did the murder occur in my office?

(Hmm... I get the nagging feeling that this is something important to keep in mind.)

I mean, you can't really say it's just a coincidence, can you?

"The office key" also goes into the mysterious Logic button.

What do you mean, sir?
If you think about it carefully and use Logic, it should become clear to you.
Logic...?
By finding the connection between two pieces of information and connecting them, new information is born. That is the end result of using Logic.
So how do you use it?
First, I recall information through the Logic Button, and then Connect them together.

Ace Attorney protagonists have had all sorts of ridiculous mystical superpowers over the years. Even Phoenix gets the superpower of being able to see into people's souls and unlock the secrets within.

Edgeworth's superpower is logic.

Logic ~ The Way To The Truth

Logic mode is relatively simple. The information Edgeworth has noticed is on the bottom screen. Select two pieces of information to connect them together, and if you're right, Edgeworth will realize something new. In this case we only have two things to work with, so...

Which means it would have been hard for the murderer and the victim to get in here. Ergo, it's impossible to dismiss the location of this crime as a mere coincidence.
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking, sir!

You're really on the ball today, Mr. Edgeworth! That's some beautiful Logic, sir!
Yes, well... When you follow leads to their conclusion, only the truth remains.

Yes, we have a life bar. Get enough wrong and you lose.

(But if I think carefully before piercing leads together, the Logic should flow.) Well, let's get started with our investigation, shall we?
Yes, sir!

Investigation ~ Contradiction At The Crime Scene

The basis of any good investigation is to examine everything, sir!
I know that. And when I want to examine something, I simply touch the Examine Button.
Oh, if you ever feel lost and want to talk, just touch the Partner Button, OK!? I'll give you great, precise advice as an Ace Investigator, sir!
(*sigh* Something to try later if I have free time, I suppose.)

There's quite a bit to look at here, but let's start with the UI. You can move around freely on the map, and need to do that to investigate things and talk to people.

The Organizer button lets us see the physical evidence we've gathered. Note that this is different from the information used in Logic, and is used for different purposes.

Right now the only 'evidence' we have is our trusty prosecutor's badge. Don't leave home without it!

The organizer also lets us see the profiles of everyone involved in the current case. Right now that's limited to the murder victim and Gumshoe.

For tidiness' sake I'll mostly be showing these off at the end of each update whenever something changes.

And these are the options after hitting the Partner button. This lets us talk to Gumshoe, which is mostly helpful if we forget what we're doing.

Notice anything?

Is there anything you noticed that you'd like to share, Detective Gumshoe?
Just that I rushed over here as soon as I heard there was a murder in your office, sir! The investigation's just gotten started, so I guess there's not much else to say. So, uh, were you the one that found the body, Mr. Edgeworth?
Unfortunately. Upon my return, I found my office door to be unlocked. And what awaited me inside was this whole messy affair.
Ouch, that's rough...
Even though I left the security of this room to a "certain detective"...
S-Sorry, sir...

About investigating

I assume you understand how to conduct investigations, Detective Gumshoe?
Of course, sir! Examine things by tapping them or by touching the Examine Button! By checking various things out, we gather evidence and information. You can see the evidence we've collected by touching the Organizer Button.
For information... information... um...
For information and leads, it's the Logic Button.
That's it! Great job, sir! Deductive reasonable is the way to go!
(It's called "Deductive Reasoning", Detective... Clearly, something you lack.)

We can also present evidence to our investigation partner. And by that I mean "everyone gets to see our prosecutor badge."

Oh! But, um......It's really cool, sir! Much, much cooler than my badge could ever be!
...There's no need to suck up to me, Detective.

Onward to the actual investigation.

I think I've seen one of these before... Hmm...
Care to enlighten me as to where?
Oh! I know! I was issued the exact same model! .........I think.
*sigh* Detective...
I don't really like guns all that much. I mean, they're really dangerous! But now that I think about it, you do see this model around the precinct a lot, sir. I don't use mine much, except in emergencies, so that's why I didn't recognize it...

And if we check the revolver again...

So the detectives of this precinct all use this same model of revolver?
I guess. I don't really like guns, but at least I do know the different types out there!
(At least he knows SOMETHING related to his job.)

Officer: And yet, there's something out of the ordinary right in front of my eyes.
Talk about a contradiction!
(Something out of the ordinary, huh... I should look around a bit more.)

I had it all set up, ready for when you got back. I figured we could play a few games.
I had no idea you were interested in chess.
I'm actually pretty good at checkers, so I thought I'd give chess a try.
Hmm... In that case, I suppose I can set some time aside after we solve this case. (Though I don't expect the games to tax my mental acuity much.)

This mode ought to be familiar to AA veterans. Poke thing on touchscreen to examine it. I start with the body.

Let's see here...Hmm, there's blood all over his lower abdominal area.
It looks like the bullet passed clean through his stomach area, sir...
In other words, he was shot.
Yup. And until the autopsy's done, I don't think we'll know much more than that.
Please have the body sent to the morgue once they're done processing the crime scene.

This is our first piece of evidence that goes into the Organizer instead of Logic. The game gives a brief explanation of what the Organizer does, but I went over that already.

Next are the files all over the floor.

Aww, and I tried so hard to keep this place spotless while you were away... I mean, this just rendered all the time and effort I put in pointless!
I don't recall ever asking you to clean my room!
Well, I watered the flowers every day, just like you requested, sir. I just added cleaning to the list as a weekend special! For about half a day every Saturday, I'd come in and clean this place until it sparkled!
(Does he have a life...?)

And now the black rectangle near the victim's hand.

Hey, I think I've seen one of these before...
It's a police badge, Detective...
Oh, hey! I have the exact same thing, actually! What a coinkidink!
......... Let's take a look inside.

We could do that, or I could keep looking at the crime scene. Guess which one I pick.

Let's take a gander at that shelf.

...that not even an earthquake could make them fall off, but just look at them! At this rate, the rest of the files won't be able to withstand an earthquake at all!
...A-A problem to be sure. Well, once the investigation is over, we'll put them back up on the shelf.

And that's everything near the body. Let's keep going counterclockwise around the room.

......Nnngh...That killer is going to pay! This tea set...!
Yikes! You're really mad over this!
This tea set is very dear to my heart and can only be bought in England. It cost more than your whole month's paycheck.
Wh...Whaaaaaaaat!? Now I feel like the killer's wasted one of my monthly paychecks!

...King. King of Prosecutors. And it's not a trophy; it's a shield.
They only send this to the winning prosecutor, right!?
...Yes, but I have no real interest in the perceived worth of other people. As for my own worth, that is something only I can determine for myself.
Th-that's so slick, sir! I'm gonna have to try saying that sometime!
(Unfortunately for him, his monetary worth is tied directly to his worth to me.)

...Hm? It's so tidy that it looks newer than when I first bought it.
Ho ho, yeah! That thing's so polished that it makes mirrors jealous!
Don't tell me you had no other work the entire time I was away, Detective...
My job is to protect your office, sir!
...And you did such a good job protecting it that a murder occurred in it.
..........That's harsh, sir...
(I have to admit the desk has never looked better, so I guess I can't dock his pay.)

Speaking of which, I still haven't actually sat down and watched any of that show. What's it about again?
Well, I don't know much about it myself, but...the hero of "The Steel Samurai: Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo" is the Steel Samurai...
...and his goal is to defeat the Evil Magistrate. It's a show geared towards kids...
...however its high production values and riveting plot draws in a number of adults as well.
Spin-offs like "Pink Princess: Warrior of Little Olde Tokyo" and "The Nickel Samurai"...
...along with the deluge of merchandise, and even a new stage show, gives it presence.
You...sure know a lot. Are you sure you're not some sort of rabid fanboy?
...! O-Of course not! Anyone that keeps up with society know at least this much! And that conversation lasted longer than expected. Let us return to the investigation!

The ones that come with a card attached every month like clockwork for you? Yup. Speaking of that! Let's see what's on the card this month, sir! "All will be resolved. --Wendy"
(Oh, Ms. Irony... How painful are thy thorns.)
Wendy... Isn't that the name of that old lady with the whiny voice that's stalk--
That's enough, Detective. You need not remind me further. *shudder*

Forensics: Please, I need absolute silence. Fingerprint lifting is a delicate art!
(...Well, I never!)

That thing looks a billion times softer than my mattress at home! C-Can I sit on it, too? Just for a little while, sir?
Detective Gumshoe. You know I can't allow that. Until this case is solved, neither of us has time to spare, let alone rest.
...! You're right, sir! I'm gonna work hard and be a real trooper to the end!
(Even once this case is over, I don't think he can afford to take any time off...)

And now there's nothing left to do but logic our way closer to the truth. But I'm going to end the update here before it gets overly long.

This is all the information we have to work with. Which two go together shouldn't be particularly hard to figure out.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Haifisch posted:

Ace Attorney protagonists have had all sorts of ridiculous mystical superpowers over the years. Even Phoenix gets the superpower of being able to see into people's souls and unlock the secrets within.

Edgeworth's superpower is logic.

Edgeworth's "superpower" keeps pace easily with all the other supernatural or quasi-supernatural BS superpowers in the series. I still have trouble deciding whether this fact says more about Edge or about the rest of the AA world.

Anyway, hooray for one of my favorite character getting his own game, and Gumshoe is the best teenage girl sidekick in the series.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Not going for anything small or easy this time are you, Haifisch? :allears:

Also, man, this game was way crueller to Gumshoe's characterisation way earlier than I remembered. One update in and he's already a shell of his original self.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I love the Investigations games. To me they feel like actual games due to the third person camera perspective and getting to actually walk around/investigate places. It's great.

Also Edgeworth's superpower being bog standard Logic is my favorite thing.

It also makes the game a bit easier than the standard Ace Attorney's since it helps you get on the level of what the game expects of you. There were only two places in this game I got stuck at because I couldn't see what it wanted me to do compared to the dozens of times I had to make great leaps in logic/reasoning in the main games.

Omobono posted:

Edgeworth's "superpower" keeps pace easily with all the other supernatural or quasi-supernatural BS superpowers in the series. I still have trouble deciding whether this fact says more about Edge or about the rest of the AA world.

It's a little bit of both. Another one of the things I like about this game is that Edgeworth consistently feels intelligent, compared to Pheonix's mix of bumbling hypercompetence.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dragonatrix posted:

Not going for anything small or easy this time are you, Haifisch? :allears:
I went into this really wanting to LP AAI2, but that wouldn't make sense without having an LP of AAI1 first, and well, here I am. (To be clear I like AAI1 too, but it's hard to explain why I wanted to LP AAI2 so much more without turning into one of those annoying 'oh man, you guys are gonna FREAK when we get to X part' people)

Dragonatrix posted:

Also, man, this game was way crueller to Gumshoe's characterisation way earlier than I remembered. One update in and he's already a shell of his original self.
I didn't remember it being this bad, but apparently it was. Although it helps to assume we're getting it through a heavy Edgeworth filter, with all the biases that implies.

e: Remembering to stick that I in AAI1/2 is going to be the death of me.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 22, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Investigations 1 is not amongst the strongest games in the series, but Edgeworth as the protagonist salvages a lot. It's not a bad game by any measure, but it's definitely not one you play for the amazing cases but rather because it's a full drat game of Miles motherfucking Edgeworth destroying criminals with the power of LOGIC while also struggling to deal with being the only sane and serious man in a world of wackos and weirdoes known as the Ace Attorney universe.

AAI 2 on the other hand is just drat solid throughout and also has Edgeworth as the protagonist, putting it pretty solidly in the top tier of AA games. It's a sin that it never got an official localization, but a blessing that it at least eventually got such a high-quality fan translation instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I saw this was coming because the SSLP test poster is sequential, and I got curious about what was coming around between my testposts.

So, a big security no-no with a cool benefit! Never got around to playing this myself, looking forward to seeing Captain Cravat's Logic Adventure.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Awesome, this'll be an LP I get to follow from the word go!

I've never personally played this game cause I could never find it, so seeing how things play out should be good fun.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It bugged the poo poo out of me that this game was titled Ace Attorney: Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, when all the other games in the franchise were Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney: [SUBTITLE]. It should be Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney: Investigations :mad:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Actually, it should have been Ace Attorney:

PMush Perfect posted:

Captain Cravat's Logic Adventure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love games like this where we get to play as the cool, unflappable rival and he's really just as weird as everyone else. :allears:

Also, obligatory Awkward Zombie for an AA game:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Haifisch posted:

A JumpStartTM game

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Godspeed, you crazy bastard. :allears:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Haifisch posted:

A Star Wars Story

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Haifisch posted:

PMush Perfect posted:

Not even a page in and I think we have a new thread title

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Oh good, now I don't have to feel weird asking for a title change less than a day after making the thread. :v:

Things nobody tells you about LPing: The hardest part is thinking of a good title. The second hardest part is picking the thread icon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Oh good, now I don't have to feel weird asking for a title change less than a day after making the thread. :v:

Things nobody tells you about LPing: The hardest part is thinking of a good title. The second hardest part is picking the thread icon.

Agh. It won't fit, even with mod renaming privilages. Unless you're fine with the title being "Eureka! I've deduced this is a Let's Play of Ace Attorney: Captain Cravat's Logic Ad!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Agh. It won't fit, even with mod renaming privilages. Unless you're fine with the title being "Eureka! I've deduced this is a Let's Play of Ace Attorney: Captain Cravat's Logic Ad!"
"Captain Cravat's Logic Adventure! Let's Play Ace Attorney: Investigations"

Edit: Yessssss :kheldragar:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 23, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It bugged the poo poo out of me that this game was titled Ace Attorney: Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, when all the other games in the franchise were Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney: [SUBTITLE]. It should be Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney: Investigations :mad:

They do follow the same naming scheme in Japan where the base Ace Attorney entries are called Gyakuten Saiban (Turnabout Trial) and these games are Gyakuten Kenji (Turnabout Prosecutor). Between the names and changing the location to America, the initial localization choices ended up being a little awkward in the long run. :v:

Oh also, setting the screen gap to I believe 90 pixels displays the episode images properly:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh yay, I love this game. I know it's not the best Ace Attorney game, but I'd rank it higher than the second and Apollo Justice at least. and mostly off the back of Edgeworth being a really enjoyable lead. The second is a step up, and it's tragic it never got an official translation. The unofficial translation, however, is not only pretty good, but not as mean on Gumshoe, IIRC.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I stalled out somewhere on the fourth case of this game so this LP is good motivation for me to get back to it and finish it when I have time.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

PMush Perfect posted:

My only regret, is that I have only one :five: to give.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kanfy posted:

while also struggling to deal with being the only sane and serious man in a world of wackos and weirdoes known as the Ace Attorney universe.

Honestly that's part of the joy of Phoenix as a protagonist too. Despite the magical lie detecting powers he obtains, he is still very much the straight man to an extremely zany world. Maybe that's why him and Edgeworth end up being good friends, both of them needing to put up with being surrounded by insanity.

AAI1 is a pretty good game, and it also has one of the very best music tracks in the series.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ground floor. To be honest, I enjoyed this game quite a bit more than some of the later mainline Ace Attorney games; it's a shame AAI2 didn't get an official release.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly that's part of the joy of Phoenix as a protagonist too. Despite the magical lie detecting powers he obtains, he is still very much the straight man to an extremely zany world. Maybe that's why him and Edgeworth end up being good friends, both of them needing to put up with being surrounded by insanity.

AAI1 is a pretty good game, and it also has one of the very best music tracks in the series.

True enough, though the contrast is still sharper with Edgeworth since Phoenix is at the end of the day a bit of a goofball and has at least some ability in taking all the weirdness in stride. Edgeworth meanwhile is so comically serious and rational in a world that places very little value on either that he might as well be from a different planet, and it's that neverending conflict between him and everything surrounding him which makes him work as a protagonist.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Kanfy posted:

True enough, though the contrast is still sharper with Edgeworth since Phoenix is at the end of the day a bit of a goofball and has at least some ability in taking all the weirdness in stride. Edgeworth meanwhile is so comically serious and rational in a world that places very little value on either that he might as well be from a different planet, and it's that neverending conflict between him and everything surrounding him which makes him work as a protagonist.

In a way, that makes him similar to Apollo as well. Of the three Wright Agency Lawyers, Apollo is probably the most serious and definitely straight-man of the bunch. But the main difference between him and Edgeworth is that Apollo's actions can come across as just as silly without him meaning them to while Edgeworth is almost always played completely straight and serious. I wish the two could have worked together somewhat because I think Edgeworth and Apollo would get along pretty well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Welcome back. Before moving on, here's what happens if you Logic wrong.

And then you take damage. You don't even get a hilarious damage animation. :rip:

As you've probably figured out, these are the two that go together.

Could it have belonged to our recently departed? Detective Gumshoe, could you please thoroughly check the victim's body one more time?
Yes, sir! On it now, sir!

:siren: Tricks And Gimmicks :siren:

Hmm, so it appears that our killer somehow managed to take the victim's gun from him.

You can use the scroll wheels to rotate an object. There's no such thing as a bad angle! Use the Slide Bar or the X and Y Arrows to zoom in and out to get at the nitty gritty!

In this mode, we can examine evidence in 3D! It's not available for everything we pick up, and it's usually pretty simple to find the points of interest, but hey, gotta show off what the DS can do, right?

This is a relatively simple one where you don't even have to rotate the gun at all, and there's only two things to look at. I start with the trigger.

You know, I can't ever see myself really liking guns. Oh! But I love the ones they use at track and field meets to start races! If you take off before it's fired, everybody always ends up following your lead!
...To chase you down for a false start, Detective.
Now that you mention it, even when I finish first, I always wind up in last place...

Next is the chamber with the bullets.

Wow, so the killer killed the vic with just one shot after wrestling the gun from him? Sounds like the guy knew how to handle a gun, huh, Mr. Edgeworth.
We have no proof for now, but that is a distinct possibility...

And with that we've discovered everything we can about the gun.

Silence

Why, oh why!? How could this have happened to a guy like you!?
.........Are you alright?
Don't touch me! Leave me alone! Just let me be!
Sorry, but I can't do that. The investigation is still ongoing, so please refrain from touching the body.
The "body"? The "BODY"!? Don't talk about him like he's just some lump of flesh! Look at him... Jim looks like he's just turned in for the night.
Um, sure. Just in a blood-stained suit, pal.

Jim here was my partner in crime busting...
I'm Miles Edgeworth, and like you, I am also a prosecutor.
Detective Dick Gumshoe, sir.
So you're Miles Edgeworth...I guess this is your office?
Yes, that is correct.

Hey, don't go around jumping to conclusions, pal! Just calm down, OK!?
I will not! I know how things work around here! High prosecutors' office doors all have locks built into them. And only the owner of the office has the key to his or her own office door!

Suspense

That is correct. However, I was not the one who killed your partner.
Yeah! Mr. Edgeworth has been overseas on a business trip this whole time, pal.
And the key to the door was with me the entire time, OK!? So the only one who could get in here was me! Ho ho ho ho.

So it was you, then! You're Jim's killer!!
No way, pal! You've got it all wrong!!

...!

Mr. Portsman, correct? If you are a real prosecutor, you should know to stay collected. The investigation has only just begun. Isn't it too early to be drawing conclusions?
...Alright, I get the point. You're right, my mistake. I tend to get a little too hot-headed sometimes. You sure are one cool customer, though, Mr. Edgeworth.
I've heard all the rumors about you. You're the great "Genius Prosecutor". You're something of a legend, you know. Anyway! Let's call a truce and work together, OK?

............ A pleasure to work with you.
You guys were conducting your investigation, right? Sorry for barging in like that. Carry on, then. It's your room, after all.
Thank you, I intend to.
I just want a little more time to say good-bye to Jim...You there!

My final farewell to my partner Jim...
............ (I should probably give them some space...)

And we're free to investigate again. Only three things have changed with Portsman's entrance. Let's start with the obvious one.

You wait and see. It'll be for the both of us! Now then! You wanted to talk to me about something?
...Um, no. That's alright. (I feel like I'm interrupting their... conversation.)

Next is the forensics guy.

Forensics: Please, I need absolute silence. This picture is too important to mess up.
(I'll leave the man to his art.)

The way forward is in this framed jacket, which we can access now that forensics guy isn't blocking it.

It must have fallen off the wall when the killer tried to threaten me by firing a round.
So the killer not only shot the victim, but they shot your jacket as well!? They dared to shoot the ultra-special jacket that you made your prosecutorial debut in!? What if they had shot through it!? It would've been a disaster!
It's not worth getting worked up over, Detective. Not when there's something more here.
Huh? Like what?

:siren: Investigation ~ Core 2009 :siren:

I take it you haven't noticed it yet, Detective. There is a giant contradiction right here in front of us.
Really!?

I'm 99% sure Phoenix is never mentioned by name in AAI, but we all know who's being talked about.

(But I have my own methods and I will conduct this investigation my way. When the scene before me contradicts a piece of evidence or seems off that's when my deductive skills come into play. First, I have to find the spot that holds the contradiction.)

This plays out similarly the body scene investigation earlier, except now we're moving crosshairs to pinpoint what Edgeworth's looking for. Since we're still in tutorial land, simply moving them over the point in question(or using the touch screen to poke it) triggers a response.

(When I spot something that's off, I should touch the Deduce Button with conviction! And when I have found sufficient proof to prove the contradiction, I Present it! This is how I do things.)

Again, the contradiction should be obvious. If the gun only fired once, how did it shoot the victim and the jacket?

Click the bubble to get the accompanying vocals. I won't do this for every interjection bubble, but I feel like this one's special.

:siren: Tricks and Baroque :siren:

This bullet hole is the contradiction!
Wh-What do you mean, sir!?
It's elementary. Two shots were fired in this room.

However, this gun was only fired once.
Hey, that's true, too...
Which means that one of these two bullets was fired from a different gun.

By the way, I noticed something, sir...
Yes?
What's that thing sticking out from behind the frame?
Ah, that. It's a secret safe.
A s-secret safe?! Oh, I smell money!
I'll spare us the trouble and just say it. Nothing like what you're imagining is inside. Now, if you could kindly move this frame out of the way.
Roger that!

I suppose that's what happens when I'm not here to dust it once in a while.
I had no idea there was a safe here, or I'd have kept it clean for you, sir! So when did you put this thing in?

Really!? I had no idea!
Well, only prosecutors are supposed to have knowledge of their existence.
So... what's inside, Mr. Edgeworth!?
Right now? Nothing. We only use them to store especially important evidence when a trial is in session.
That's it...? Talk about squashing my hopes and dreams...

First in the inspection list is just...the safe. Itself. Accomplished by looking at any part of the safe that isn't the Not Suspicious Keypad.

Well, if detectives knew about them, then they wouldn't be "secret" now would they?
Are there any other secret, hidden things in this room?
Even if there were, it would defeat the purpose of them being "hidden" if I told you. So don't bother looking for them.
S-So there's no, like, hidden camera around, right?
Hm? And what if there was...?
A-Ah! No, it's nothing! Forget I said anything!
(Do I even want to ask what he's been doing in my office while I've been away!?)

:ohdear:

Let's just move on to the keypad.

You found something, sir?
This keypad... Don't you find it to be a bit too clean?
Yeah! There's a thick layer of dust all around it, but not on the keypad itself.

Forensics: Yes, sir!
Could you please dust this area for fingerprints?
Forensics: You got it, sir!

As I thought... (It appears that Logic is the only way around this setback. Time to rationally and calmly play connect the dots with the information we have.)

Four pieces of information we can connect again, and to progress we need to use three of the four - this is the first instance where using Logic produces new information that we need to immediately use for more Logic.

For the first set, we're using 'information' that's really just a question in search of an answer by connecting The Killer's Goal with the Wiped Fingerprints.

The fact that the safe was wiped clean of fingerprints suggests that the criminal had at least attempted to open my safe.

Edgeworth: So dedicated to logic that he insists on keeping a question mark in whether or not this was theft.

(I wonder if knowing that the motive behind this break-in was theft changes what the other pieces of information can tell me about this crime?)

Next, we connect the new Motive: Theft(?) with Signs Of A Struggle.

Oh! You mean like it could be from when the killer tried to find something, sir!?
Precisely. We need to figure out if any of the files have been stolen.
Yes, sir! I'm gonna shelve files like you've never seen before, even at a library!
Um, sure... Let's give that a try...

Surely you must ponder that every once in a while, Mr. Edgeworth.
......... No matter how much we lament, the dead will not come back to life. All we can do is search for the truth.
......... And? So what are we supposed to do? How do we go about finding the truth?
First, we calmly restore the files to their rightful place.
You got it! Here, let me help!
Um, so this file goes here, and that book goes there...
You sure know a lot about where things go, despite it being Mr. Edgeworth's office.
Because I'm the one who keeps it tidy, pal! OK! Done!

Investigation ~ Core 2009

Unnngh... The bloodstains on the bookshelf are still fresh...
I suspect that the victim was killed in a standing position, hence the prints on the shelf.
And then the guy fell onto the floor, right? The blood on the floor's kinda grossing me out!
Detective, I don't have the time to deal with your weak stomach right now.
Nnngh... But you know I'm no good with blood, sir...
(I'm certain there's something wrong with this picture...)

Time for another scene investigation. We'll start with the bloody handprints.

He must have tried to support himself with his hands here after being shot.
There are prints on the floor, too.
Those must have been made when, unable to stay standing, he dropped to the floor.

Next is the files.

Although, it does look like the killer moved the body to flip through my shelves. (I wonder if they found what they were looking for...?)

And the bloodstain on the floor...

Oh! So that's why the seat of the victim's pants has blood on it!
That would be the logical conclusion.

And the body.

The blood on this guy's pants proves that pretty well!
In a sense, I suppose.
See! I'm not completely useless, Mr. Edgeworth!

And last but not least, the bullet hole.

For the bullet to be lodged so squarely in a file spine indicates that the files were ransacked after the shooting had occurred.
Then I guess the victim was moved because he was in the killer's way...

The problem here should be obvious: How is the bullet hole all the way down there when the victim was shot in the abdomen while apparently standing up?

Wh-What do you mean, sir!?

Tricks and Baroque

Quite simply, the bullet hole is too low. If the victim was shot in the stomach, the hole should be much higher up.
But what if the guy was shot while he was sitting or lying down, sir!?
That would be illogical. The victim leaned against this shelf here after being shot. Which suggests that he was standing when he was shot.
Then that means...! ............Wait, what does that mean, sir?
It means you need to use your brain every once in a while instead of mine, Detective.
In any case, it means someone made a faulty assumption. And it was from this mistake that our current contradiction was born!

Only one of these is right, but I'll show off the wrong answers because why not.

The position of the body

If the victim was shot while he was lying down...
Wait... Didn't you just say that line of reasoning is illogical, sir? You said, "The victim leaned against this shelf here after being shot."
...I was trying to be nice and explain my complex logic in an easier way for you, Detective.
Oh, really!? Thanks for thinking of me, sir!
(...Good, I don't think he noticed my mistake.)

You still take damage even if nobody notices you made a mistake. Edgeworth has standards.

The position of the handprints

The position of the handprints is what's causing this problem. We wouldn't be in this dilemma if the handprints were closer to the ground!
But the handprints are where they are... Up top.
...Yes, you are quite perceptive! Which is why this is not a viable hypothesis.
Oh, so it was just a "what if"? Then what's the right answer?
Hmph...You still can't figure it out? Then allow me to explain.
Yes, please, sir!
(Guess he didn't notice the slip-up. Although, at this point, I shouldn't be surprised.)

And the correct answer is...

The order of the files

I believe the order of the files is a bit off.
You mean I put them back in the wrong order just now?

Oh?
Yeah! You see here how the files that were shot begin with the number 0? What are those doing all the way down there after 1, 2, and 3!? That's really weird!!

They are exactly as I see them in my mind's eye.
But the numbers are all out of order.
Those white binders are special, so they are arranged a little differently. But from this, we know that the files were not in this order when the crime occurred.
(Aha! So that's it!) I believe the killer made the same incorrect assumption as you just did, Detective. Let's re-arrange the files in numerical order and see what we find out.
Do you think it'd be OK to prop the body back up to how it was before it was moved?
They've finished processing the crime scene, so I don't see why it wouldn't be. If you please, Detective Gumshoe!

Investigation ~ Core 2009

The killer went through my files first before shooting Mr. Faith.
And then put the files back in numerical order, I guess.
Exactly. And then proceeded to shoot the victim.
But why would someone kill a man and then look through your files one more time?
Puzzling indeed.

Examination time.

The body:

But there is no time to ponder that now. Let us continue with our investigation, Detective.
Roger that, sir! I'm raring to go!

The bullet hole:

And we figured out that the killer went through your bookshelf twice.
Indeed... There are many things the killer did that don't make sense. But to figure out the whys, we need more information.

The handprints:

Yes, he must have left them when he was trying to support himself after he was shot. (However, the final position of the body shows that it was moved... I need to go over this crime scene with a fine-toothed comb one more time.)

The bloody writing I've been pointedly ignoring:

Silence

Why does it say "Gumshoe" on there in blood!?
I'd say it's some incredibly incriminating evidence...
Yes, indicative of criminal activity, indeed.
No! Wait! There's gotta be some mistake! Mr. Edgeworth, sir! Help me! Say something, sir!
......... It appears that one of my files was stolen.
Is that all, sir!? What about me and my situation!?
(Is this what the killer was really after?)

Completing an investigation restores your health. Not that Edgeworth ever makes mistakes, of course.

And this most important message managed to reach us.
I'm telling you! It wasn't me!!!
You can't be terribly pleased to hear that your partner is the guilty party.
If you are going to accuse Detective Gumshoe of being the culprit I sincerely hope you have some proof to back it up.
Jim's words... They're more than enough, wouldn't you say?
If that's how you want to play it, then at least allow me to understand your reasoning.
You got it!

(And there must be some sort of flaw to his logic waiting for me to dig out.)
Mr. Edgeworth! Wh-What are you going to do?
What I always do in court; I'm going to cross-examine him. One way or another, I'll expose the flaw in his logic with this technique.

Sure, why not.

If I find a flaw in the testimony, something that contradicts the evidence...
I open the Organizer and Present the piece of contradictory evidence! (To Present something, I simply touch the Present Button, but that's old news.)
But it's not like there's gonna be a flaw in their testimony every time, right!?
Correct, and at those times, I need to Press the witness by touching the Press Button. Sometimes by pressing, I can draw out new information, and new or modified testimony.
I think I get it, sir! I'll be sure to try this technique out during investigations, too!
Very well. I'll even show you how it's done. Now watch carefully.

And you will watch carefully. Next time.

Evidence dump:

And profiles:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
And this leads into what I find to be the weakest aspect of the Edgeworth games: it makes no goddamn sense for there to be a cross-examination. They could have framed it differently, and they kinda did in the sequel, but it feels ludicrously artificial and makes other flaws with the game considerably more noticeable.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
See to me it was mostly just Edgeworth pointing out how the other people were wrong in his own Edgeworth way which I found very entertaining.

They definitely weren't as fun as the investigations though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if the Ace Attorney world is where they record all those infomercials...

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Eee, I love AAI and AAI2, they're two of my favorite in the series, and Edgeworth is a great protagonist. Definitely gonna be watching this LP closely.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
One of the great things about these games is that unlike the main PW series the dialogue upon getting a game over changes several times as the case goes on. For instance if you game over at the beginning of this first investigation Gumshoe decides Edgeworth is too tired and takes over; losing during the second half leads to Jacques kicking Edgeworth out; and losing during the testimony coming up leads to Gumshoe's arrest.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

This is slightly more believable in Japanese since the handwriting doesn't need to be quite as pretty.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's kind of funny that we have an AAI thread while the AA2 thread is ongoing and acting as though Edgeworth committed suicide.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'm not sure if anyone bought that even back at release, and certainly not by now. The existence of these games is hardly a secret after all.

It's not particularly central to that game's plot anyway.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm curious, is there anyone in this thread who has read Mors Rattus's LPs but hasn't played the games?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ithe AA2 thread is ongoing

It is? Is it in a new thread? The old one is pretty dead looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
For the record I'm assuming most people reading this are familiar with the series, but I'm trying to take into account both the few that aren't and the many that either haven't played every game to completion or that forgot parts of the earlier games.

I mean, hell, my playthrough of the series looked like this:

AA2->the first two cases of AA1->AA4->half of AAI1->the first two cases of AA3->AA5->AAI1->AAI2->AA3->AA6->reading Mors' LP of AA1.

And AA2 and AA4 were so long ago that I only half-remember them.

Kanfy posted:

It's not particularly central to that game's plot anyway.
Also you have to remember that with the way the JP releases worked, the plot of AA2 was written before Rise From The Ashes(which kind of reframes what Edgeworth is likely up to).