Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's definitely Nick and Edgey. The Edgeworth we know and love was invented later on, and the original design eventually grew into Manfred von Karma. Don't know the story for the other three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Haifisch posted:

And my all-time favorite, some extremely beta artwork featuring Edgeworth as Generic McEvil.

little known fact: Ace Attorney was originally about resolving court cases through card game battles

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Omobono posted:

Is that basically the first concept art for the series? From left, are they meant to be Nick, Edge, probably Maya, ??? and Mia?

I think that's Gumshoe.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

little known fact: Ace Attorney was originally about resolving court cases through card game battles

"You've activated my Perjury Trap Card!"

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I had no idea that this series started as an Advance Wars spinoff.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BlazeEmblem posted:

I had no idea that this series started as an Advance Wars spinoff.

I was thinking Megaman Legends personally.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Huh, interesting that Ema Skye seems to have ended up using some of that proto-assistant's design.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, I didn't know there was an AAI thread going. I love this game!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

With Lance safe, the focus of the investigation will shift solely onto the murder.
You mean the in-fighting between the kidnappers?
Yes, and also the identity of the remaining kidnapper...

Interesting People

Yes, Mr. Amano. We found him earlier in the stadium.
Then...my little Lance is unhurt?!
He's not exactly the picture of perfect health, but his life is not in danger. He's being questioned right now by Agent Lang.

See, readers, it's fine. Lang didn't get his statement and leave his corpse to rot. He got his statement and then ignored his not-corpse for 10 minutes because he had to keep trying to dunk on Edgeworth.

Poor Lance...it must've been so horrible for him...locked up like a...*sob*

And with that, we're let loose to roam around. Let's start by talking to Kay.

What is it, Kay? You look like you've stumbled upon something.
I'm kind of confused by all the different events going on. First, there's the kidnapping, and then the co-conspirators of that end up in a murder. And Ms. Oldbag saw the crucial moment, but you and Ms. Oldbag are kinda...
We do NOT need to investigate further into that last statement!
(Disregarding the fact of who it came from, the witness's testimony was a mess. However, it did shed some light on the truth behind this case.)
Well, let's keep investigating and see what other types of people we run into, shall we?

What we need to move forward is on this screen, but optional stuff awaits us to the right. And we can't not do optional stuff, right?

At long last, we're allowed back to the entry to the park.

Investigation ~ Opening 2009

Are you deathly allergic to him or something?
Umm...it's not that. It's more the half-smile on his face; it's really unsettling.
(She's disturbed by the half-smile? I'm more disturbed by its movements and how it managed to obstruct an investigation.)

Daughter: Aaaaah! It's looking at me! Make it stooooooop! It's scaaaaaaaaaryyyyyyyy!
Chief: It's alright, dear. You want to know something? I was the one who created the Blue Badger! See, look at his eyes. Don't they look just like daddy's?
Daughter: It's scaryyyyyyyy! It's scary because they do look like yooooooours, daddy!
Chief: ......
Well, that was rather depressing. I think I'd better leave the two of them alone.

Serves him right, if you ask me. :colbert:

Talk about a veritable goulash of rides and attractions.
With so many of them, you'd think they'd have a ninja house! Like one of those buildings with a zillion secret places to hide in! Those are fun!
Well, they don't.
Hey! How can you be so sure?! Oh, I know! I bet they really do have one, but it's hidden in real ninja fashion! Come on out, ninja house! I know you're around here somewhere!
(A hidden ninja house...next she'll be looking for a lost pirate ship!)

Oh? It looks incredibly new to me.
Argh! Mr. Edgeworth, you need to lighten up and get a sense of humor!
That was rather rude! But just this once, I'll look the other way.
...on second thought, maybe the first thing you need to work on is tact.

Hey, there's some weirdos on a boat!

Edgeworth cannot acknowledge their existence in any way.

He can, however, talk about the bridge he's on.

But you'd think that they'd already be happy because they were able to come together.
Logistics aside, I wonder who came up with this tale and when? This bridge doesn't look old enough to be the stuff of legends.
Well, some things are better left uninvestigated, don't you think? Ignorance is bliss!

Alright, back to the real investigation.

He said it was stolen, didn't he...?
Don't tell me that you were the one who stole it.
What the heck are you talking about?! I don't even have a license! It's illegal to drive a car without a license! A Great Thief doesn't break the law!
(This little girl has a very odd understanding of the word "law".)

"This cactus is a very gracious gift to Gatewater Land from the local police precinct."
(I can't believe the police went so far as to even donate a cactus to this place.)
So, is the police department running a cactus farm on the side? Ha ha, just kidding! They wouldn't do something so silly!
(Actually, I have the vague impression I've seen a cactus farm at the precinct before.)

Target acquired.

I'm not a bad person, and I'm not out to seduce you. Come now, won't you talk...
No! You're showing that to me to lord over me with how much authority you have. Well, I will not be bullied! You should be ashamed of yourself, you evil man!
(...how should I repent in order for this woman to talk to me?!)

Showing her anything irrelevant nets you this.

I was so busy eating a loaf of bread that I ran right into him! It was destiny, as people like to say...
(I'll take that as she's not interested in this...)

Curiously, the pendant gets special treatment.

If you're not going to show it to her, then why not give it to me for safe-keeping?
Why would I do anything of the sort?!
?

AaaaAAaaaaAAAAAaaAaAAah!!!
Wh--?!
You big bully! I can't believe you'd show me something so gruesome!
But, but, I have to admit I kind of like that mavericky aura around him...Oh, Lauren, are you becoming "bad" as well...?
(She's off in La-La Land again, I see...)

I know that it may look like a monster, however, I'd like to ask you about it...
Oh, Lance up in heaven, lend your little Lolli your strength!
But he's not dead.
If you lend me your strength, I can defeat the bad monster and live a long and happy life!
...I'm beginning to suspect that you are not very good at this listening business.

It's the perfect new house for us made out of candies and sweets...
But I can't seem to get the door open...why?
Because this is a theme park, and I highly doubt they would let you live here for real.
You won't let me in my own house...? You truly are a terrible man, you know that?!
Wh-- But I have nothing to do with that!

She's been so helpful so far, clearly questioning her will make her even more helpful!

No, you can't give up, Lauren! Just one more try!
Excuse me, but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for all the flowers you've gone through...
I suppose...If they were me, then...*blush*
I believe you said that you are Lance's girlfriend when we first met, correct?
Yes, I am, but...oh! It's not like we both think of each other as lovers! But he DID give me this ring, so I guess we're not just "friends" either...? I mean, because! This isn't just any ordinary ring! It tastes so sweet when you lick it! Ah! It' so wonderful!
(You mean to tell me that he gave you a lollypop ring...?)
So, which is it?! Have you guys not decided if you're going out, or is it just one-sided?
"Decided"...? Shouldn't the parties involved naturally just know...?
My father used to work for Mr. Amano.
And so, Lance and I grew up together. ...*gasp!* I said it out loud!
(I don't see how that's anything to embarrassed about...)
So your father was an employee of the Amano Group? What did he do?
I heard his job was to fly around the world...on Pegasus...
P-Pegasus?!
Oh, Pegasus was the name of the airplane. The airplane belonged to the company.
Y-You had me there for a second...!
But now...it's all changed. My father...he isn't around anymore.
Oh...I see...
About 10 years ago, he rode in Pegasus off to somewhere, and never returned.
(Riding Pegasus to whereabouts unknown...sounds like the stuff legends are made of.)
It's been so long...I don't think I'd recognize him if we were to ever meet again...
I'm so sorry, Lauren...
But I won't give in to the sadness! I have to live! Yes, Lauren! Live!

>About the case

Incident? But isn't the kidnapping already over and dealt with? I've been here the whole time, so I'm afraid I don't know much about any other incident.
How did you come to know that Lance had been kidnapped?
Oh! Ummmm...that's because...of my woman's intuition!
You based everything on that?
I know everything when it comes to my Lance! It's really strange! It really must be destiny...! *blush*
Argh. She's started fantasizing again.

Yeah, not getting anything super useful here. Onto more productive things.

Like bugging Ernest about the dead guy.

*sigh* He served me well for such a long time. What am I going to do without him...? I'm afraid my money will continue to be dampened by my tears in the long nights ahead.

I'd say eat the rich, but I guess Edgeworth is one of the rich. Maybe he can be an exception?

It's a disgrace to the way businesses are run everywhere!
Well, thieves, by their nature, generally tend to target these types.
Stealing is an abominable behavior, don't you agree, little miss?!
...y-yeah, the worst!
(Am I going to have to add "hypocrite" to the list of things you are, missy?)

Oliver...
But what strikes me as odd is the name engraved on the back, "Colin Devorae"...
Oh...Coden Livorea? ...Veldor Dalein...?
He's so sad that he's got it all mixed up in his mind.
I understand, but that last one wasn't even close.

Hint hint, hint hint.

Time for an actual conversation.

It was nothing.
I'm still in shock over what happened to Oliver...
...but I have to say I'm relieved that Lance is alright. Oh, that's right! I mustn't forget to pass this on to Lance as soon as the police are finished with him.

A letter!

I almost can't believe he received yet another love letter, you know. Here! Take a look for yourself.
(Isn't this a breach of confidentiality?)

Oh? Hey, let me see! Hm? That's really weird. It's from a loan company, "Tender Lender." Looks more like a collection bill to me.

It's my duty to figure out who this other person is.

Wrong answers first, as is traditional.

The place where we were held as prisoners!
Hoooold it! Don't lump me in with you!
I can't allow you to slander my good name as a Great Thief by saying I was "captured"!
(Not being able to escaped from somewhere qualifies you as a caged bird, Kay.)
Besides, we checked that place out pretty well while we were there, remember?! Don't you think it'd be an even better idea to check somewhere else?
Perhaps you are right. (What I really need right now are leads to the killer's identity...)

>Crime scene

Which means we should give the stadium another sweep.
That's pretty good! Very "professional prosecutor"-like of you!
And of course we'd go investigate if we hadn't just been tossed from there!
...true, and Agent Lang is still conducting his investigation there.
Yeah, now get it together, will you, Mr. Edgeworth?
Alright, then. To do our part, we should leave them alone and investigate somewhere else.

>Kidnapper's hideout

But we're still not allowed in, remember?
Agent Lang and his men should be done with this area. In that case, there is no harm in asking that officer over there to let us in.

(...? Where have I heard such redundancy before...?)
Hmmm...is it possible for you to let us take a look around inside?
Officer: Sir! Roger, sir!

Are you certain? Didn't Agent Lang order you not to allow me in?
Officer: Sir! That's true sir, but...Detective Gumshoe asked me personally to let you in, sir! And I couldn't refuse a request from him!
Wow, looks like Detective Gumshoe has a following!
Officer: Furthermore! I was asked to give this document to you, sir!

Fun(?) fact: It took me until the writing of this update to notice the joke with Penn E. Dent Prison.

But the name here says "Colin Devorae"!
(That's the same name as the one on the back of the pendant.) It appears that Colin Devorae was his real name...what's this? He was convicted in a case 10 years ago and sent to prison.
What?! Then what was he doing here?
Apparently he broke out of jail...and then just vanished. He must have become "Oliver Deacon" to cover up the fact that he was an escaped felon.

(Is there some sort of link between the victim's past and the current case? These police documents are rather detailed. I should take the time to give them a thorough read eventually.)

Right now is eventually enough for me. It's just a clearer shot of the image from before.

Yeah, I agree! We should investigate first, think later!
More than thinking things through, I think you should try remembering things first.
Now then, if you could please unlock the door, officer.
Officer: It was locked up until a little while ago, but since then, the door's been wide open, sir!
I'm not sure I follow what it is you're saying. Care to explain in a bit more detail?
Officer: Sir! The door was locked down tight when they went to check out that room...so they got about ten officers to help out and break the door down, sir!
I see. (I guess that means I get Agent Lang's leftovers. Well, let's see what we find.)

Next time: Seeing what we find, hopefully not several months from now.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 17, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Haifisch posted:

A Great Thief doesn't break the law!

Kay Faraday, ladies and gentlemen.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Nice to see that Violetta is still getting along okay :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The chief's daughter isn't wrong.

Seeing Viola is nice, but it reminds me that I hope Mors Rattus comes back. I really want to see people's reactions to some of the really outlandish characters in this series.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

theshim posted:

Nice to see that Violetta is still getting along okay :allears:

Y'know, I had a wonderful idea for a fanfic based on Trials and Tribulations, where Furio Tigre is the freewheeling, rip-roaring defense attorney who intimidates his way through witnesses (though the Judge is used to his antics), and Viola is his kinda-creepy-looking but ultimately good-hearted partner.

Then, Furio suddenly loses a case for a client who never hired him, as he has been impersonated by a very sly fellow...

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Edit: Typo fixed

I'm enjoying the lp, there's a lot of stuff I either missed or don't remember, including those cameos.

neon flame fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 17, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The cameos are nice. It makes me want to hear someone say, "It's a ladder." / "No, that's a stepladder," again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Shirtless Zhang is simply incredible.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Gatewater got Jake Marshall's catcus? Isn't the tallest one of those evidence?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Oh sure, bump the thread and make me feel guilty for being a lazy sack of poo poo who keeps putting off updating. :argh:

Update soon. Probably.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Oh sure, bump the thread and make me feel guilty for being a lazy sack of poo poo who keeps putting off updating. :argh:

Update soon. Probably.

That's ok, I'm pretty sure Phoenix Wright LPs are cursed.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The curse of the stepladder.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the curse of the ladder.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

While you were tied up for a while in the room next door, hee hee!
Kay, please. Must you bring that up again? Now then, down to business. There might still be some clues left in this room. Let's try to find out what we can of the other kidnapper's identity.

Investigation ~ Contradiction At The Crime Scene

It's not a trapdoor; it's an entrance to an underground passage, Kay.
I know that!
The door leading to the outside world was closed...so Lance must have escaped his prison through here.

Yes, and?
well, I know I already asked you when we were out there, but...if these were real, what would you put in them?
(There's an expectant gleam in her eyes that I'm about to dash...)

Let's start with the broken thing that's mostly covered by the text box.

That's true.
Alright then, let's think about it this way: Maybe it broke when someone was trying to use it for or on something.
Hmm...
Hypotheticals aren't going to get us anywhere. Perhaps we should think more on this later.

Next, the door handle.

I suppose that's what happens when ten officers break their way in with brute force.
Hey, that's odd...the lock on this is completely fine. Look, not a single dent!
But how is that possible after what that officer told us?
Yeah! If the lock had been in use when the door was busted down, then the lock itself would be completely wrecked!

Last but not least, the trapdoor underground panel.

Be careful of where you step, Kay.
I only fell into that other opening once, you know!

And that's all for the door area. Back to the rest of the room!

Wow, whoever lined these up did it perfectly! They're not even a single hair off! I'd feel bad using these because it'd be like stealing the perfection away!
(I suspect it's more like you wouldn't want to be the one to put them away.)

It's a broken mirror...it probably came from the haunted house. (Why is this here? Are they planning to repair it?)

That's so sad...

Yeah, but I do! And I'm going to get my hands on the rest of the Badger family! You'll see!
(She definitely brings a decidedly different atmosphere to a criminal investigation)

First, the chairs.

Next, the poster. Nothing escapes Edgeworth's notice.

"Intrigue! Fun! Prestige! Gatewater Land has it all, and it's waiting for you!" ...it's not especially catchy, is it?

There's also the key below the poster, which may or may not be more important.

Hmm...you got me.

That's it! This must be the key for one of those trapdoors!
That wasn't a trapdoor. You only call it one because you quite literally jumped into it.
Hey, but isn't that what you're supposed to do when you see one?
I am not having this conversation with you.

Finally, coffee.

Onward!

...is where the kidnappers held you after getting the jump on you!
...must you keep reminding me?
But it's the room where I got to see your awesome "Nnnghhhoooh!!" face!
You didn't need to remind me of that mortifying moment either...

That's everything in here, so it's Logic time.

Logic ~ The Way To The Truth

These might get something vaguely resembling difficult someday, but today is not that day.

One look at the pristine door lock, and anyone can see that it was not in use at the time.
But the policeman outside said that it took 10 men to get it open!
Hmm...a door that was locked tight, despite it not being locked at all...

Oh! You mean?!
Yes, it was used to jam the door. Here, take a look at the door handle.

So that's how the sword broke!

Three plus three equals logic.

...is the number three. Speaking of which...

Wait. But I thought there were only two kidnappers...
Indeed. Something isn't adding up...literally. Is it possible that there is a third kidnapper that Lance didn't see?

...but instead, we've only uncovered more questions that need to be answered.

Silence

Wh-what are you doing, suddenly popping out of the secret entrance like that!?
Proto Badger: This is an underground passage used by staff members, sir. We Badgers also make use of it in our duties.
Look, why don't you get out of there first, and then we'll talk, OK?
Proto Badger: Ah, I beg your pardeon, miss.

The Blue Badger ~ I Want To Protect You

What are you getting all excited about?
*gasp!* Did you forget?! The photo rally, duh! See, look! Now all I have to do is get a picture of the Bad Badger and I'm done!
(Ah yes, I vaguely recall a contest or something of that sort...)

Suspense

(Hm? What happened?)

Proto Badger: A Bad Badger costume is missing, sir!
Oh, is that all! Well, it's missing because the kidnappers stole it.
Proto Badger: I heard about how they were stolen...but they said that only three of the costumes had been taken.
What? (Is he saying that more than three of them are gone?)
Mr. Proto Badger, please tell me a little more about these costumes you use.

We're given free roam, but there's not much point in doing anything but talking to the soulless Badger.

Proto Badger: Counting the spares, we have two of each costume on hand at all time.
OK, so because one of them is walking around in the park...
...the other should be in that room.
Proto Badger: Ah, actually, both of them should be in that room.
Huh? What do you mean?
Proto Badger: Normally, we don't use the Bad Badger costumes. In fact, we only use them during a certain event at a set time each day.

...I'm speechless that such a show exists.
Proto Badger: Well, sir, I was just trying to explain to you the only time we use that costume.
Then doesn't that make it near-impossible to take a picture of the Bad Badger?!

Youthful innocence, crushed by the reality of companies wanting it to be as difficult as possible to actually win things like this photo rally. :(

Proto Badger: Personally, I can't believe that it's this close to show time and there's no costume! Oh, dear. What am I to do, sir?!
All this basically means is that the kidnappers stole four costumes in total.
Then, are you saying that there are four kidnappers?
No, I don't think that's very likely.
Oh?
Recall the costumes for a minute.
The stolen ones, you mean?

Tricks and Baroque

...wouldn't you naturally go for the full set and steal a Pink Badger costume instead?
Yeah, that makes sense!
And yet, the kidnappers decided to steal another Bad Badger.

Now there's just logic left to do, but first...

...Mr. Proto Badger, how did you know my name?
Proto Badger: You're pretty famous, sir. I would think that most people would know who you are.
Famous? Me?
Proto Badger: Ab-SO-lutely, sir. You're always very active in the community, I hear.
Wow, I didn't know you were such a celebrity, Mr. Edgeworth!
(I feel like I've met this person before...maybe it's just my imagination?)

Logic ~ The Way To The Truth

These are the only two pieces of Logic we have, so this one's even easier than normal.

Hm? What do you mean?

Wouldn't you say that it's wearing some very telltale pants?
Hey, you're right! Let's get it out of there and take a look!

Well, minus the head.
(I won't rest until I've inspected every suspicious-looking nook and cranny.)

Suspicious nook/cranny 1: The costume.

Hmm...maybe it's a flesh wound from a fight with the Blue Badger! I always knew the Blue Badger was one ferocious beast!
(I somehow doubt that even real badgers are as bloodthirsty as that, Kay.)

Next, folding chairs. Specifically, the ones on the left. Because both of them have unique stuff to talk about.

I can't say they were arranged nearly as nicely as their siblings to the right.
You think so? I think they're just fine, like a bunch of used chairs ought to be.
...*sigh* I'm beginning to think you must keep a most chaotic room.
Hey! Don't slander and sigh at me all in one shot.

Despite having no apparent inclinations for marriage or family, Edgeworth has some extreme dad energy. Also, moving on to the rightmost chairs.

The ones over by the table probably came from this stack.

Next, specifically looking at that hand with a big ol' hole in it.

(Hm? It looks more like something was ripped off of it.)

I don't blame you if you don't remember the relevant bit of the Badger Bible, but Edgeworth will cover it in a moment.

Hm? Between what?

Investigation ~ Middle 2009

Hmm...oh, the gun!
Precisely. The Bad Badger was designed to always hold a gun in his right hand. However...

Proto Badger: No, I did not, sir. The gun is supposed to be securely attached to the costume.
As I thought. The rip itself confirms my hypothesis that the gun was forcibly removed.
Mr. Proto Badger, the gun is, of course, not a functioning weapon, correct?
Proto Badger: Ab-SO-lutely not, sir. It's just a model gun. However, it can fire blanks. We need to use them for the stage show.
It seems that our kidnappers also had a need for the model gun, my dear costumed friend.

So, what's next?
Well, we found a few answers...but there are still a few things left that we have to ask a certain person about.
Let's go, Kay!

Investigation ~ Core 2009

Mr. Edgeworth, sir!

What is it, Detective?
They found a Blue Badger costume down in front of the main gate, sir!
What?!
Isn't that what one of the kidnappers was wearing?!
Bingo! That's why you've gotta come to the main gate with me right now! If we hurry, we still might be able to get there before Wolf-Boy does, sir!
Alright. Let's make haste to the main gate!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Woooo! A new update!

Fun fact: I think the Proto Badger is supposed to be the Bellboy That Swore Out An Affidavit from the original Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Truly, Phoenix Wright planted the seed for something amazing...!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Quackles posted:

Woooo! A new update!

Fun fact: I think the Proto Badger is supposed to be the Bellboy That Swore Out An Affidavit from the original Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Truly, Phoenix Wright planted the seed for something amazing...!

Take a closer look at the question mark when Edgeworth is wondering if he's met the person in the costume before

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

blackmongoose posted:

Take a closer look at the question mark when Edgeworth is wondering if he's met the person in the costume before

O-ho. Nice job spotting that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

blackmongoose posted:

:doh: I never picked up on who it was in the costume. But then again, thus far I remember almost nothing about this game, even though I've played it!

EvilMidnightLurker
Sep 25, 2018

What Lurks at Midnight
Edgeworth: You, sir, should unmask.

Proto Badger: Indeed?

Edgeworth: Indeed it’s time. We all have laid aside disguise but you.

Proto Badger: I wear no mask.

Kay: (Terrified, aside to Edgeworth) No mask? No mask!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Good news! Updates will be coming more than once a century thanks to goon ToxicFrog hooking me up with OCR stuff so I'm not typing five million :words: by hand every update. Give her a round of applause!

And now, actual update:

Just on the other side of the fountain, sir!

Investigation ~ Core 2009

No, it was discovered in the tall grass back there! We moved it out here in order to examine it more thoroughly.
Then let's get down to it. (I won't rest until I've inspected every suspicious- looking nook and cranny.)

Ooh, the nerve of someone throwing a Blue Badger away like this! I worked so hard to create this character; it's like my baby! How could someone do this, sir!? How!?
Detective. How about channeling your anger towards finding the culprits?
Good idea! Ooh, wait until I get my hands on-- So, who are they, Mr. Edgeworth!?
Why don't you try figuring it out yourself for a change!?

How so?
Going through all the trouble to steal this costume, only to throw it away in the end... A real thief wouldn't do such a thing, nope, no way!
(I wouldn't think a real thief would steal something so gaudy to begin with...)

Oh, it's another pendant! That's two treasures in one day! How lucky is that!? And hey! This pretty baby's made of platinum silver, too!
(Another pendant on top of the one we found on Mr. Deacon? Is it possible that these two...)
???: Hold it right there!

Shi-Long Lang ~ Lang Zi Says!

Arghn!

How can you tell?
Look here and read off what you see.

Aha! We have you now, Ms. Kidnapper!

:siren: Reminiscence ~ False Relations :siren:

No, you don't understand! I...I...!

Lance...
You're kidding! Ms. Paups was one of the kidnappers!?
..................Yes.
It...It was me...I held Lance hostage...
(So Ms. Paups is one of the kidnappers...But even knowing that, I can't call this case solved...or over.)

Suspense

Hey! Guys! Case closed!
Get the car ready, and I mean the special one for this young lady!

Heh. Again, Mr. Prosecutor? What is it this time?
Are you proposing that Ms. Paups is also the culprit in the murder case?
What happened? I thought Officer Meekins was your suspect.
Hmph! We found it...
Found what?

Your country's police are a sham. Just look at how careless they are!
Who are you calling a "sham"!?
The officer's gun didn't show signs of having been fired, so it can't be the murder weapon.
(So Officer Meekins has been cleared of all charges, I see...)
And that's when a brand-new suspect comes walking onto the scene. The murder only happened because the kidnappers started fighting amongst themselves. As I recall, it was you who said that, right, Mr. Prosecutor?
Ms. Paups! Did you...Did you really kill Mr. Deacon...!?
..................I... Yes, I killed him.
I-I can't believe it...
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks for the confession!

Agent Lang, it's much too early to declare this case closed!

Look at you, so sure of yourself. We've got the culprit's own confession and some very incriminating evidence.
What more could you ask for?

Miles Edgeworth ~ Objection! 2009

Ms. Lauren Paups.
Y-Yes!?
I want to hear it from you. Tell me your side of all that has happened today, from the kidnapping to the murder.
B-But why? I...I'm a kidnapper and the killer!

It's fine if you're the one behind everything, but only if that is the truth.
!
Now then, will you tell us the truth?
Or is there some reason why you can't?
I've had a change of heart. I think I'd enjoy seeing you sulk away as the losing mutt.
Alright, you heard me. Let's hear about all the evil deeds you committed today.

Confrontation ~ Moderato 2009

The one who came up with the kidnapping plan was the butler, Mr. Deacon.
We knew that we could get rich by holding Lance hostage.
Mr. Amano would pay anything to get his son back, after all.
Everything was going according to plan, but as soon as we got the money...
...Mr. Deacon turned on me, and tried to kill me!

At least you have the guts to admit what you've done. I can at least respect that much.
Ms. Paups...Is what you said really the truth?
Y-Yes...it...is...
(If that is the truth, it certainly isn't the whole truth. Because there is something that seems a bit too improbable in her confession.)

How well did you know the victim?
I've spoken with him only a few times at Lance's house.
A "few times"? That's it?
...Um, yes.
(If they only met a few times, I don't see how they could've trusted each other...)
But if you hardly ever talked, then how could he trust you not to steal his plan?

That's completely irrelevant. He was planning to betray her from the very beginning. Which is why he chose someone he wasn't especially close to. Isn't that right, Shih-na?
Yes, however, Mr. Deacon made a very poor choice. In the end, he was killed by the one he intended to betray himself.
Hah! I bet he didn't see that one coming!

You knew? How did you know something like that?
Aah! Oh, no! What should I do...?
............Kay, what's wrong with her now?
Come on, isn't it obvious!? You're making your scary face again, that's why! Why don't you try asking her in a nicer, more gentle way?
Hmm...
No, stop it, Lauren! You're always like this!
You always fall for the stern-looking one...That's why you'll always be unhappy!
............Or maybe that's it. She's been bewitched by your icy glare.
Mind your own business, Kay....Now then, Ms. Paups, let's continue with your testimony.
Oh! Y-Yes, of course!

Why did you believe that?
Anyone who knows Mr. Amano would think the same...
I bet Lance is that old man's greatest "treasure".
(I suppose he would be to a doting father like Mr. Amano.)
I always figured that was it, too. And I was always envious of Lance for it.
Oh...Because your dad's...

And I believe that as long as I have this, I'll find my father again someday. He'll welcome me into his arms, riding on the back of Pegasus.
(That pendant...She must truly believe it to be the wings of Pegasus.)

Would you mind telling us a little about the plan itself?
Well...First, we captured Lance...
Ooh, how did you do that?
Um...That...Well, Mr. Deacon did that on his own, so I don't quite know...
Bah. And here I thought you knew how to steal people away.
(I shudder to think what she would do with such knowledge...)
Sorry, I really don't know, but somehow, Mr. Deacon was able to contain him. All we had to do after that was wait for the ransom to be paid, but...

Why do you think he did?
I have no idea. But maybe he had planned on doing so from the very beginning.
...Ms. Paups...

(Wait. Mr. Deacon planned to kill Ms. Paups from the very beginning...? Was that ever really likely to happen? What should I do? Should I raise an objection?)

No, not yet, gotta get all the optional dialogue first. :colbert:

Hah, I see kidnappers also weep when they get stabbed in the back. Even as you betray the one you claim to "love" the most!
That's...No...You don't understand...
What's there to understand?

And loop.

What's wrong, Kay?
I can't believe she was betrayed...I...kinda feel sorry for her.
(I feel a little sorry for her, too, however, I also wish she would tell us the whole truth. Because there is something that seems a bit too improbable in her confession. But I'll give it another careful listen and see.)

Let's actually examine those pendant wings we got earlier. No reason. Just because.

Hey! Nice to see that even you can appreciate its beauty! Things made of platinum silver tend to have a nice feeling about them, you know?
...I was only talking about its shape, Kay.
Oh, is that what you were talking about...? Umm...but you know...if we're talking about wing shapes, I think the broach on my scarf is way cooler!
But that's not made of platinum silver, is it...?
...it's hand-made, OK? So I'm sorry that it's not made of the expensive stuff!
(She made that by herself?! ...it's incredibly well-crafted...)

I see that they wrote out her first name, but why just the "D."?
Maybe it's the result of poor planning?
I guess...well, at least if I had to shorten my name, I could make it "K. Faraday"! That way, even if you just sounded it out, it'd stll say my name, "Kay Faraday"!
I suppose if I had to do the same, I would rather it be abbreviated as "M. Edgeworth".
Hold on! I think you should abbreviate it as "M. E."! Get it!? Ha ha!
(...who would've thought that this little pendant could stir up such a strange conversation?)

No objection bubble this time, sorry. You'll just have to pretend.

I'm sorry, but I don't think what you just claimed is all that likely. I don't think Mr. Deacon would have ever been capable of killing you.
But why!? We were total strangers! It's not uncommon for people to kill each other over money...

Ms. Paups, you really are clueless, aren't you?

Wh-What do you mean?
You never knew what your role in the kidnapping was, nor do you know who you really are.
But I do, and I can show you with this piece of evidence!

These two pendants resemble each other, wouldn't you agree?
Hey, you're right! They're the same color, and they're even made of the same material!
I believe that these two pendants are actually one.

Shall we give it a try?

B-But why!? Why does my pendant match up with Mr. Deacon's!?
You're a smart lady. I'm sure you can imagine why that might be.
Wh--! No! That can't be!
So the two make a set. Heh! It's just another trinket. It's not as though this changes anything!
Hmph. You lack imagination, Agent Lang. Very well, I'll show you with this evidence!

His real name was "Colin Devorae", the name that is etched on the horse pendant.
What!? An alias!?
I suppose he had to hide the fact that he was a felon somehow in order to live. And it makes sense, given what is written in Mr. Devorae's dossier. But what I really wanted to point out was this.

Mr. Devorae had one daughter. And her name is Lauren Paups.

He couldn't come out and tell you he was your father because he was in hiding. However, I believe he was trying to secretly watch over you.
Do you still believe that a man like that could kill the daughter he was separated from?
Or even, that such a man would allow his daughter to get involved in a kidnapping plot?

Silence

Ha ha ha ha!
And what is so funny, Agent Lang?
You're good at making things up in your head and deciding it's the truth, aren't you?
What are you trying to say?
Your thinking is much too innocent. After all, I've thought of another possibility.
Is that so? Well, let's hear it.

Confrontation ~ Allegro 2009

I'll grant you that the two of them are father and daughter.
But, isn't it possible that they both knew that fact?
It was no coincidence that the reunited pair became involved in the house of Amano.
And the two of them made good use of their meetings to plan this little kidnapping.
Wouldn't you say my scenario is perfectly probable as well?

You don't have any proof that either one didn't know of their true relationship, right?
You mean they knowingly committed the kidnapping as father and daughter?
That's right. As one really rotten family!
(Is that really what happened? I had better take a long, hard look at the evidence.)

Precisely. And what father would ever willingly kill his own daughter?
I've seen a lot of things in my travels...and I can tell you that being related by blood is sometimes proof of nothing.

You think they knew?
Yeah, I don't think only the victim knew. I think the girl realized it as well. They both knew who the other person was, but they had to pretend that they didn't.
Because he was on the lam?
You got it. The victim couldn't exactly go around flaunting who he was. Furthermore...

One as a butler, and one as the friend of the son, you mean?
They probably thought that was their best shot.
Is that what you honestly believe?
Of course.

You mean how they plotted to commit this crime as blood relatives?
Can you think of a better partner? They're certainly a clever pair.
The butler and the girlfriend. Nc one would ever suspect that they were, in fact, family.
Yes, from the very beginning, they painstakingly practiced those roles well.

I believe you're being a bit too over-confident for someone with no evidence.
Am I? Because I don't see you presenting any evidence to the contrary.
Mnngh... (Without evidence to counter him, we're stuck at a draw.)

And loop.

You'd better hurry up and do something, or Lauren's gonna wind up looking really bad.
I know, but first thing's first. Is Agent Lang's line of logic factually correct...? (Did the two of them really knowingly commit the crime as father and daughter?)

This kidnapping wasn't planned by just two people alone.
And what kind of proof do you have of that!?

Quite simply, there were three kidnappers.
Three!?
Four costumes were stolen from the Wild, Wild West area's backroom.

But as for the other three, we can assume they were being worn by three different people.

It all clearly points to a three-man group! And I believe this third person is the real mastermind behind the kidnapping!

Confess the Truth 2009

Yes, this abduction was, in fact, schemed up by Lance himself! Recall what he said when he appeared before us.

However, there were three kidnappers, which is in direct contradiction to what he said.
But, but...I know I only saw two people...
This guy was being held hostage. It's possible he couldn't see all three of them.
Ah, yes, about when you were being held...I have my doubts about what happened then. Lance, would you mind telling us what happened while you were being held captive?
I really don't remember much anymore...Honest...But if I don't tell you at least something, you won't believe me at all, will you?

Next time:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I'm glad this is back. I assumed that you were going to abandon it at some point.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hooray! It's good to have you back.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

I'm glad this is back. I assumed that you were going to abandon it at some point.
The Ace Attorney Curse almost did it, but not quite.

(In this case the curse being "me getting really loving sick of transcribing so much by hand and also this case going on forever and also me going through Things irl".)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Lang has a cool aesthetic but he really drags things out here.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Haifisch posted:

The Ace Attorney Curse almost did it, but not quite.

(In this case the curse being "me getting really loving sick of transcribing so much by hand and also this case going on forever and also me going through Things irl".)

I can safely assume there's no text dump anywhere online, then.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Quackles posted:

I can safely assume there's no text dump anywhere online, then.
Nope. Just case 1, and then nothing. Why only case 1? Who the gently caress knows.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Lang has a cool aesthetic but he really drags things out here.
This is probably the worst case in the AAI games, if only because it goes on forever. And Lang isn't helping(as cool as his aesthetic and theme song are).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AAI has a lot of cases that go on for way too long, but the others are at least more interesting than this one.

Also just gotta reiterate how real good the Confess the Truth theme is in AAI.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Haifisch posted:

This is probably the worst case in the AAI games, if only because it goes on forever.

Have you played The Grand Turnabout from AAI2?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Nope. Just case 1, and then nothing. Why only case 1? Who the gently caress knows.

At a guess? You weren't the only one who got sick of transcribing text. Though why somebody didn't just use a text ripper or whatever to do it for them I can't tell you...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

my problem with the Investigations games is that I feel like the investigation parts of Ace Attorney games are the most boring, unfun bits, and really only play the game for the courtroom sections. So the idea of an entire game that's just investigation sections is... not my jam.

But Edgeworth is the best character in the series, so I'm glad you're back to updating again. :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

someone awful. posted:

my problem with the Investigations games is that I feel like the investigation parts of Ace Attorney games are the most boring, unfun bits, and really only play the game for the courtroom sections. So the idea of an entire game that's just investigation sections is... not my jam.

But Edgeworth is the best character in the series, so I'm glad you're back to updating again. :sax:

We're in the trial section right now though, just without the trial trappings.
Both Investigations games don't have a strict separation between the investigative sections and the cross-examination sections, but they're still there.