Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quackles posted:

I can safely assume there's no text dump anywhere online, then.

:eng101: Generating text dumps is (in the general case) complicated. The internal structure of DS ROMs is well understood at this point, but there's no standard format for text; each game does its own thing at the whims of the developers. So if you're lucky, there's a text file called "game_script.txt" inside the ROM, and if you're unlucky, there's a bespoke archive file that contains game script intermixed with all sorts of other things, using some sort of custom compression algorithm and probably a weird non-standard character set as well. At that point, even figuring out where the script is, let alone how to decode it, usually involves attaching a debugger to the game and reverse-engineering the loading and text-display routines.

To use it for an LP (rather than for a translation or statistical analysis or pulling out item descriptions or whatever), you also need to untangle enough of the game to figure out when and in what order the text is displayed; there's no guarantee that the order it's stored in bears any resemblance to when it will appear in the game, although it's nice when that is the case. This is pretty much the state existing tools for AAI are in: they can extract the text, but it's in (effectively) completely random order, and weaving it back together into the right order is just as much work as manually transcribing everything is.

The approach taken here is completely different, and while unsuitable for generating script dumps, it's fine for LPs: a bunch of image processing bullshit is done to detect screenshots with dialogue in them, more image processing bullshit is done to extract the dialogue as crisp black-on-white text, and then the result is fed to an OCR program (gocr) which has been trained to specifically recognize the fonts used by Ace Attorney and nothing else. :science:

If there's interest, I can do a detailed walkthrough of the guts of the OCR script sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ToxicFrog posted:

If there's interest, I can do a detailed walkthrough of the guts of the OCR script sometime.

Oh, I'm interested, but I'm also a complete nerd.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welcome back! Glad to see this continuing! :)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Quackles posted:

Have you played The Grand Turnabout from AAI2?
Yes but it wasn't as boring as this case is. :colbert:

(OK, this case has some good bits like introducing Kay & Lang, and seeing Edgeworth's despair at Oldbag, but I just don't like it. At all.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ToxicFrog posted:

:eng101: Generating text dumps is (in the general case) complicated. The internal structure of DS ROMs is well understood at this point, but there's no standard format for text; each game does its own thing at the whims of the developers. So if you're lucky, there's a text file called "game_script.txt" inside the ROM, and if you're unlucky, there's a bespoke archive file that contains game script intermixed with all sorts of other things, using some sort of custom compression algorithm and probably a weird non-standard character set as well. At that point, even figuring out where the script is, let alone how to decode it, usually involves attaching a debugger to the game and reverse-engineering the loading and text-display routines.

Oh, I feel you. One LP I have in the works is for a DS game called AGAIN: Eye of Providence; the text was in these '.dat' files, which looked like this:

code:
/6540376/6980000/61000010002000400000000/618/40100000192/621/671000200000005
+2ÇsÇàÇâÇéÇãÅ@ÇóÇÖÅ@ÇìÇàÇèÇïÇåÇÑÅ@ÇáÇèÅ@ÇîÇèÅ@ÇîÇàÇÖ+2+0ÇêÇèÇåÇâÇÉÇÖÅH+1
/624/61000010002000100000000/618/40100000193/621/671000200000005
+2Çh.VÇçÅ@ÇìÇïÇíÇÖÅ@ÇîÇàÇÖÇôÅ@ÇÉÇèÇïÇåÇÑÅ@ÇÜÇâÇåÇåÅ@ÇïÇì+2+0ÇâÇéÅ@ÇèÇéÅ@ÇîÇàÇÖÅ@ÇkÇâÇÇÇÖÇíÇîÇâÇéÇÖÅ@ÇgÇèÇîÇÖÇå+2+0ÇâÇéÇñÇÖÇìÇîÇâÇáÇÅÇîÇâÇèÇéÅD+1
/624/61000010002000200000000/618/40100000194/621/671000200000005
Which translates to:

code:
/[@ node 376 @]/[pan left]/[Kate, pose 4]/[line 192]/[KATE]

Think we should go to the police?

CMD /[wait]/[Kate, pose 1]/[line 193]/[KATE]

I'm sure they could fill us in on the Libertine Hotel investigation.

CMD /[wait]/[Kate, pose 2]/[line 194]/[KATE]
In case you're wondering, the stuff with the 'Ç's is game text, in a custom encoding. The numbers with the slashes are control codes to the game engine. I had a wonderfully fun time figuring out, by playing through the game and comparing the results with the raw control codes, what each code referred to.
(I built a script that unpacks the game's .dat files, and it's quite complex by now...)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 25, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Quackles posted:

Have you played The Grand Turnabout from AAI2?

The only one in AAI2 that felt like it went on too long for me was the second case.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Aha, I caught up as this returns!

I'm going to be very late to say it took until reading this for me to notice Cammy's surname was Meele and not, in fact, Melee. Though given that she turned out to be a killer...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Elfface posted:

Aha, I caught up as this returns!

I'm going to be very late to say it took until reading this for me to notice Cammy's surname was Meele and not, in fact, Melee. Though given that she turned out to be a killer...

This is Cammy Meele:

This is Cammy Melee:

Be careful not to confuse the two!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I was kidnapped yesterday morning.
They had me shut in that room, blindfolded, the entire time.
But the kidnappers suddenly disappeared around the time I heard rain falling outside.
My hands were cuffed, but it was a stroke of luck that they left me alone.
I made my escape and ran away from that room as fast as I could.

Are you OK?
Sorry, I really didn't want to recall that horrible ordeal, but...but now you believe me, right?
No, not quite yet.
Aaah! How can you not!? Why do you look at me with icy daggers in your eyes?
Because he's a prosecutor, and because they're all like that.
I'll have you know, Agent Lang, a prosecutor's eyes are for discerning the truth.
And should they be interpreted to be cruel at times, then so be it.
............Tch.
(There is a sticking point in Lance's testimony. Let's see what he offers up when I push a little.)

Confrontation ~ Moderato 2009

Can you tell us about when you were abducted in a little more detail?
It was a strange morning. I felt like I was right in the middle of a great calm.
And where were you when you experienced this...calm?
Our family garden, of course! Where else could it have been!?
(Well! Excuse me for asking! This child is more princess than prince...)

Bad Edgeworth, no treat.

I was out taking a walk to shake off the morning blah.
Then, out of the blue, someone from behind clamps a hand over my mouth.
You didn't see your attacker?
They must've used some drug to knock me out. Because before I knew it, I was off in La-La Land again. When I woke up, I was in the kidnappers' hideout already, all tied up.

By "that room", you mean the room in the kidnappers' hideout, correct?
Yes, but I was blindfolded the whole time, so I didn't know that until I made my escape.
Then, you were in the same room as your kidnappers?
They spoke in hushed tones, but I could catch bits of their conversation. It was definitely two people, and one of them was definitely a woman.
I was so scared. I could tell they were nearby, so I didn't dare make a move.

The kidnappers disappeared?
The room fell into a sudden silence. I had been left behind like an unwanted mutt.
And what do you mean by "unwanted mutt"?
What a pointless question. It's not like he's going to tell you anything new, you know.
It's a poetic simile. You should learn how to use them, too. You may look refined on the outside...

Then, those cuffs on your wrists...I suppose you are still cuffed, in that case.
I am well aware of how I am chained to reality. I couldn't find the key, so I'm afraid that I'm stuck like this. Even though I escaped from that jail cell, I will forever be a prisoner.

How did you manage to escape?
I wanted to just get out of there, but the door leading outside was locked. Which is why I had to use the underground passageway to make my escape.
(I remember our escape to be equally as hard...)
(This is an invaluable piece of testimony. I mustn't let it go unexamined.)

By "underground passageway", you mean the one the staff uses to travel unnoticed?
I suppose that's what it's for, but I didn't run into any staff members on my way out. And once I was up top, I was busy trying to find a member of the police.
And that is when you found us congregated at the stadium, I suppose? Let me ask you, then. How did you get ahold of the key to the underground door?
That was easy. It was hanging right there in the room on the wall.

And loop.

Boy does that bring back memories of our situation and how we made our escape.
Indeed. And although the door in the floor of our room led to an underground room...the door in the floor of the room next door had a secret passageway.
A secret passageway under a theme park! Ooh, that just sounds like so much fun!
(I wonder...Is there something off about the way Lance made his escape...?)

You say that the door leading out was locked, but was it really?

We're talking about that room behind the saloon front, right? Look, I heard that it took quite a few men to get that thing open. Right, Shih-na?
Yes, that's correct.

Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly

What is that? A sword? It's not an especially reliable one if it's broken like that!
Allow me to start from the end. My conclusion is that the door was never locked.

!
Lance, even though your hands were cuffed together, you could still use them. If that's the case, then why did you not just simply remove the sword and escape?
Wh-Why didn't I...? I was disoriented...Yes, that's it! I didn't notice it!

You locked yourself in that room because you had to make yourself look like the victim. But you did not, in fact, possess the key to the door.

You've been making this guy out to be one of the kidnappers for some time now. I wonder if you've forgotten something very important along the way.
And what would that be?
A motive! What else!? Do you honestly think that an upright, pure boy like him...

To put it simply, Lance has a very urgent need...for money.
This is hardly your typical love letter. It is, in fact, a collections bill. It appears our upstanding boy has accumulated quite a debt. Isn't that right, Lance?
Uuugh...
Looks like it's hard being the son of a rich man, too. It must be rough when you have to resort to stealing from your own old man, huh.

Silence

Gnn! A-Alright! I give up! I abducted myself.

Reminiscence ~ False Relations

It's over, Lolli. In this life, we really are bound to our fates after all. All I wanted was to go with you to a new town, somewhere where no one would know us. I wanted us to be well off with that $ 1 million, but now...that dream is over.
Oh, Lance!
Then, you are giving yourself up?
Yes. I had planned to run away from this world with my Lolli.
Oliver even helped us with the plan, but then, he had to go and stab us in the back!
He turned on you?
Maybe he didn't want to split the ransom money. That's my guess. It happened almost right after you made the drop-off.

Suspense

After a brief struggle, I was able to contain him and keep him under control. We left him inside that room as Lolli and I made our escape.

Lolli left first in the Blue Badger costume.
(That would mean the person Officer Meekins saw was Ms. Paups.)
But right then, the old man just had to wake up!
I was careless, and he tackled me pretty hard from behind.
Then, Oliver put on a Bad Badger costume...took the suitcase with the million dollars and ran!
I contacted Lolli right away, and warned her that he had a gun.
They had no idea that they were related, so I thought that it could only end badly.
I still don't believe it! That person was not my father!
Because...because if he was...I...
I just killed my own father!

Silence

!
Lolli! Then...Then it really was you...?

Confrontation ~ Allegro 2009

That man was not my father! I mean...Because...at the stadium...
...there was a Bad Badger pulling the suitcase with the $ 1 million in it.
But that Badger pointed his gun at me, aiming to shoot me dead!
That's why I...I used the gun I got from Lance...!
There was a gunshot, the other person crumpled to the ground, and I ran, scared for my life.

Lolli...Forgive me. I didn't think it would turn into something so frightening.
If only...If only I could've protected you!
So...Ms. Paups...She shot her own dad without even knowing who he really was?
If what she says is true...
Are you saying she's lying? But why would she lie about something like that!? What purpose would it serve!?
You would be surprised how often people lie without even realizing it themselves, Kay.
Huh? What's that supposed to mean?
What I mean is, listen very carefully to her confession once more and you'll see.

Please calm down and let's slowly talk through this.
But! I...!
All you have to do is simply tell us what happened at the stadium.
Leave it to us to search out the truth. Can you do that for me?
.......... A-Alright. So... at the stadium...

That was the ransom money, wasn't it!?
Yes. That's how I was able to identify Mr. Deacon almost immediately. It was all thanks to what Lance told me.
And what did he tell you?
Well, he called me on my cell phone and told me...that Mr. Deacon had betrayed us and had run off with the ransom money.
And...about how he had a gun.

Were you able to clearly see the gun?
Yes, I got a very good look at it while it was pointed at me.
Oh, father...Why would you try to shoot me?
Do you really think a father would shoot his own daughter, Mr. Edgeworth?
I...don't know.
I don't want to believe it myself...
But it's true. My father's left arm was raised with a gun in it...pointed straight at me! "I'm about to die!" I thought.
Ms. Paups!
Please calm down, and take a deep breath.
And then, would you allow me to please hear that last statement one more time?
...Y-Yes, of course.

And you felt that your life was in danger, correct?
Yes. "I'm about to die!" I thought. So...So...

You shot Mr. Deacon...?
Ms. Paups...
............Yes. I-I shot him.
!
Ha ha ha! And that, as they say, is that.
Agent Lang, Ms. Paups is far from done. She hasn't even finished her testimony yet!
You're going to continue questioning her? What a waste of time.
Ms. Paups, if you please.
...Alright.

Did you take off immediately following the gunshot?
Yes.
And you didn't attempt to approach the victim at all after he was shot?
I...I was scared...
I don't blame you. I would've done the exact same thing...

And loop.

Poor Ms. Paups...What will become of her, Mr. Edgeworth?
She seems to be telling the truth regarding what happened at the stadium.
However, I don't believe it to be absolutely correct. Listen very carefully to her confession once more and you'll see.

How convenient that his dossier points out his dominant hand.

I have here a dossier on your father.

Miles Edgeworth ~ Objection! 2009

Ah! Then!
The person pointing a gun at you from atop the stage was not Mr. Deacon.

Hold on there, Mr. Prosecutor. I think you need to take a refresher course.

Which is why the only hand he could have held the real gun with was his left. Isn't it possible that it went down like that?
Agent Lang, were you paying attention to what Ms. Paups was saying?
Then again, I suppose I can't expect someone who has never set foot in court to catch it.
Enough with the smugness. Out with it already.
Ms. Paups told us earlier:

According to you, the Bad Badger had the gun in his left hand...which would mean that he was pulling the suitcase with his right hand. Is that correct, Ms. Paups?
...Yes, exactly.
And I'm sure it was the Bad Badger! It had those huge sunglasses on its face!
But if that's the case, even I can see there is a huge contradiction!
Yes. Ms. Paups claims to have seen the Bad Badger. And yet, the Bad Badger had both of his hands full.

Conveniently going down the line of wrong answers, starting from the top:

Ms. Paups. What you saw was not the Bad Badger. Think back, and recall which character was it that leveled a gun at you.
But it was wearing a pair of sunglasses, and it had that strange blue beard.
That sums up the Bad Badger pretty well, I'd say.
Too bad for you, but it looks like the Bad Badger wasn't the mistake here!
Arrgn!

>Both hands were not occupied

Holding a gun in his right hand as he pulls the suitcase with the same hand...isn't it possible for a right-handed person to do both things simultaneously?
Your deduction is full of one too many conjectures, don't you think, Mr. Prosecutor?
Arngh! I suppose it IS pretty difficult, if not impossible.

And the correct answer:
>Both are correct

They are both correct.
Impossible! That just leaves us with an irresolvable contradiction!
(Ms. Paups's entire statement rests on the fact that she saw his sunglasses and beard. But what if that Bad Badger wasn't wearing pants on his lower half...?)

The costumes have two parts to them, a head and the body.
Oh! I get it now!
The head Ms. Paups saw was probably really the head of the Bad Badger. However, is it not possible that the body was that of an entirely different Badger?
A different Badger...?
Yes. Or to put it more bluntly, I believe it was the lower half of this Badger!

Wh-what?!.............the heck is it?!
It's the Proto Badger...
Yes, and it's a simple matter of process of elimination. Ms. Paups was wearing the Blue Badger's costume, so we can eliminate that one. And the Pink Badger is of the wrong color, which would have been incredibly obvious. All that is left is the Proto Badger costume!
Ms. Paups! Who was the one who wore the Proto Badger costume?
.........Th-That... w-would be...Lance...
.........!

Are you saying what I think you are!?
That Lance Amano donned the Bad Badger's head...and pretended to be Mr. Deacon? On top of which, he plotted to shoot Ms. Paups while wearing that hideous thing!?
The stage that was set up in the stadium was nothing more than that, a set-up...and its purpose was to lead Ms. Paups into believing she had committed murder. Standing there in front of Ms. Paups, and pretending to be the victim...
...it was all done so that she would pull the trigger.
Hahahaha. I have no idea what you're talking about.

You are the real culprit behind the murder of Mr. Oliver Deacon!

What!?
N-No!
That's slander! Take it back! You take it back right now!
Just out of curiosity, Lance, which is your dominant hand?
I-I'm left-handed...but what does that have to do with anything!?
It depends. According to Ms. Paups, her attacker held a gun in his left hand.

Hah! Who is what-handed doesn't prove a thing! And besides! Now you're just being absurd! It's not like the Proto Badger is bulletproof.
One misfire, and he would've found himself dead, right?

Of course. Logically, if he had been shot, he probably wouldn't be here with us.
But I believe he had thought of that as well, and prepared accordingly. And this should be all the evidence you need.

We found one half of a Bad Badger costume in the hideout, a broken one.

Wh-Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?
Ms. Paups, where is the gun you used now?
I ...I threw it away into the sea.
That...makes it a bit tough to verify what it was...Although, I believe that we can safely assume that it was the model gun in question.

Silence

I've heard enough. All you've been spouting so far is pure conjecture.

I admit that as long as the model gun is lost to us, I can't prove I'm right.
However, I can say that the probability that I am right is very high.
OK, let's pretend that you're right, and that the murder at the stadium was a fabrication.
In that case, where do you think the murder really took place, Mr. Prosecutor!?
I...don't know yet.
Ha! I knew you were full of it!
However, I do believe that the murder took place during an earlier timeframe.

Please, wait a second! It's simply not possible! Because...Because...
I saw Mr. Deacon after he was restrained by Lance.
(She saw the victim in the state of being restrained?)

Next time:

Sorry, it's not a Christmas miracle, this case is still going.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That "It wasn't the Bad Badger" choice feels a little misleading, because I figured it was the Bad Badger head on another body.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's always nice to see Edgey Bad-gering a witness.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Lance catching his own cuffs when startled is pretty good.

Also dangit Lang, this is why I say you drag this out a bit!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm always astounded at the quality of the translation work in this game series; all too often I find that the dialogue in games from Japan translated into English sounds like... Well, translated English. But the writing here is almost always bang-on.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I assume this one uses the same localisation team from the mainline games, who are very cool and good. I'll take any excuse to link to Janet Hsu's blog where she talks about various localisation challenges and stories from AA. It has spoilers for the whole series, though.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Lang seems to have turned around pretty quick from "There are no innocent people, just arrest everyone who seems suspicious and let the courts sort out who's actually guilty" now that he's the main person we need to convince to be suspicious of someone. I think it's only been two confirmed innocent suspects since then.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mycelia posted:

I assume this one uses the same localisation team from the mainline games, who are very cool and good. I'll take any excuse to link to Janet Hsu's blog where she talks about various localisation challenges and stories from AA. It has spoilers for the whole series, though.

Goddamn, their job seems simultaneously enjoyable and unenviable.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Samovar posted:

Goddamn, their job seems simultaneously enjoyable and unenviable.

She got handed a series where they had already reset it in Los Angeles when she started on AA2 and just. Has had to make it work since then to maintain continuity. On top of having to localize a series full of puns and jokes, which is already a localizer’s hell.

Lots of respect.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
We have approximately two or three updates left before this case is finally done, so let's get to it!

I came back to the hideout long after the other two.
By that time, Lance had already subdued and restrained Mr. Deacon.
He had tied Mr. Deacon securely to the beam in the room next door.
After that, the two of us put on our costumes and made our escape.

We thought that it'd attract too much attention if we left together, so I left first. We planned to meet up again at the stage in the stadium.
But then! As I was walking through the park, I got a call from Lance on my cell phone.
Oliver managed to escape. It looked like he was waiting until I was alone. He also stole the gun from me at that time...
And then, the murder happened. Mr. Deacon must have overheard their plan to meet up at the stage.
Well, Mr. Prosecutor? Ms. Paups saw the victim with her own eyes...which means that the victim was still alive at that time, wouldn't you agree?
............(Why does that sound wrong to me...?)
(There must be something amiss about this account! Let's see what happens when I examine it in more detail.)

Confrontation ~ Allegro 2009

When exactly did you arrive back at the hideout?
It was after we had picked up the ransom money.
And where were you up until the time you returned?
I was scouting the park out, and making preparations for our escape. I walked around in the various areas, looking for the best route.
(Ah, so each of them had their own roles to play.)
After I was done, I went back to the hideout.

How did Lance look at that time?
He, well...He looked shocked.
He also looked a little down. When I saw that sadness in his eyes, I...
Thank you, that's enough for now. And what of Mr. Deacon? What was his situation like? You are sure that it was Mr. Deacon that you saw?
Yes. I am certain of what I saw.
Did you go into the other room to check?
Lance said that it was best if I didn't get too close to him...Lance...He's such a kind soul.
Then, are you telling me that you did not confirm that it was Mr. Deacon for yourself?
I checked through the slit in the door that separates the two rooms. He had a Bad Badger's head on, so I'm absolutely sure. That just had to be Mr. Deacon!
(She saw a Bad Badger head?)

So the tied-up Mr. Deacon was still in his Bad Badger costume?
Yes... And...?
(It would appear that she misread the whole situation...What now? Should I raise an objection?)

Not yet.

(Perhaps I should listen to more of what she has to say.)

I assume you two split up, but planned to rendezvous later at a set time and place?
Yes. We planned to meet up at the stage, and then I left the hideout not long after.
And what about the ransom money?
You mean that absolutely tasteless suitcase? Lance was supposed to bring that with him.
But Oliver stole it from me, along with the gun, when he escaped.

And loop.

If Mr. Deacon was alive in the hideout, then the murder must've happened after that. Meaning it probably all went down at the stage. I mean, I can't really see why Ms. Paups would lie at a time like this, you know?
Kay, I don't think she is lying, but rather, that she is making a bad assumption.
She is?
Yes, and I intend to show what that bad assumption is.

Pretty obvious.

The person you saw was not the victim.
What!? Why not?
I will tell you why not...with this!

Ms. Paups. The person you saw was not Mr. Deacon at all.

From top to bottom:

>Kay Faraday

Ms. Paups, the person you saw tied up to the beam was, in fact, Kay...
Hey! Hold on! I was never tied up like that!
R-Right, I suppose not...
The one tied up to the beam screaming, "Nnngghhooooooh!!" was...
That will do, Kay! Anyway! The person you saw was most definitely not Mr. Deacon.

>Lance Amano

The person you saw tied up to the beam was none other than Lance!
But Lance was the one who showed me the tied up person in the next room...
You're claiming that the boy somehow showed himself tied up to the beam?
Are you serious!? Or perhaps you believe there was a rip in the space-time continuum?
(Nnngh...!)
(Who was it that was tied up to that beam...Aha! I see! Now I know who it was!)
As I thought, the person you saw was most definitely not Mr. Deacon.

That's because it was actually:
>Miles Edgeworth

Huh? The person I saw was you, Mr. Edgeworth?
I always thought it was a bit odd.
Why would the kidnappers abduct me, even after I had handed over the ransom?

It's not as though I saw the face of the kidnappers. If I were them, I would have just taken the million dollars and ran.
But, in the end, there was a point to it all; it was to make me look like Mr. Deacon. And if that was the reason for which I was abducted...then, I believe we can assume that the victim was already dead at that time.
Well, Lance? Am I right?
Nngh...Th-That's...
You showed Ms. Paups a person, namely me, with a Bad Badger's head on.
And then, made your costumed escape together...Or so you pretended.
Huh!? What do you mean he "pretended"!?
Exactly that. I believe Lance watched you escape, and then doubled back to the hideout. Probably to come and remove the Bad Badger head from my unconscious self...
Unnnnngh..................
And to create his fake "prison" with the prop sword. He then escaped via the passageway.

Lang, please just let this case end already. :cripes:

Don't get caught up in that tidal wave of words coming out of Mr. Prosecutor's mouth.
Tidal wave?
We've heard a lot come out of you, but I've yet to see a shred of evidence. The victim's betrayal, and his subsequent detainment...All of that could've happened while you were out cold.
Th-That's right! You were out for quite a while, Mr. Prosecutor.
Even if that were the case, Ms. Paups would have still seen me tied to that beam.
I...I was scared of Mr. Deacon, so I didn't go into the next room. So I really have no idea if you were in there or not, Mr. Edgeworth...
You see. It would seem that you can't prove a thing.
Gnngh!

Interesting People

And Lance...It's not good to cause trouble for others.
D-Dad!
Let's see...You are the one in charge of the investigation, correct?
Yeah, that's right.
I'm sorry that my son has been nothing but trouble. This probably won't make up for anything, but I have some evidence for you.
Oh? Do you, now?

Investigation ~ Core 2009

I couldn't wait around for the police, so I went and found these myself. It appears that they were disposed of in the sea.
Argh! Is there no one in this country who actually obeys the law!?

Hm? What the heck is that scrap of paper?

"Please allow Mr. Amano complete freedom to do as he sees fit," it says.
What!?
Th-The Chief of Poliiiiiice!? What the.........Just who does he think he is!?
The person who wields the highest authority in this area...
Ho ho ho. There, there, now. There is no need to be so upset.
Heh. I'm not a cop from this land. So I'm not bound by the laws of your country.

Now I'm just a simple country lawyer prosecutor, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, Lang.

Now, now, now. This wasn't meant to strong-arm you into anything. It's just a request.
I'm only asking that you please respect the laws of the land.
Argh. I can't really say no to that. However, returning to the topic at hand...
...it doesn't matter who found the evidence. Its value remains unchanged. Alright now, let's take a look at this new evidence.
I've already got the results back. I had a special forensics research lab that I'm on good terms with conduct the tests. They verified that the blood on this costume belonged to Oliver. As for the gun...
...the only fingerprints they could find were yours, Lauren!
Wh-What!?
You disappoint me, Miles.
I can't believe that you...that you would...cause my son such stress and heartache!
Thank goodness I was able to find the final pieces of evidence. With this, you'll have no reason left to push my poor boy around!
(That's it? These are the case-making pieces of evidence? Hah! I'll be the judge of that!)

Examining the head itself:

Sorry, but they're just pieces of a mirror...(But why are they in here?)

And the gun:

But there's also an interesting bullet hole in the costume:

It looks kind of burnt around the edges.
Wait! Those burn marks were left by the gunpowder...This is a most important fact. Because it is proof that the victim was shot at point blank range.

:thermidor:

Confrontation ~ Presto 2009

Make no mistake. There are fingerprints on that murderous gun.
And they prove that it was Lolli who killed Oliver.
But Oliver was also after Lolli's life.
So Mr. Edgeworth, even you must see that Lolli was only acting in self-defense.

Oh, no! This isn't helpful at all!
Look, Mr. Edgeworth...All I want to do is save Lolli. But in the end, all I can do is watch on as she takes the punishment for her crimes.
That may be all you can do, however...
...I still have a case to solve and a job to do.
The job of unraveling your insidious lie!
...You wound me. Why won't you believe me, even in the face of all this evidence?

Those fingerprints...Are you sure they belong to Ms. Paups?
There's no mistake about it. Through my connections, I had the best forensics techniques money can buy performed.
I find that to be a bit peculiar.
What? Are you trying to pick an argument with me!?
(What should I do? Should I raise an objection?)

Nope.

(Perhaps I should wait and see how this pans out first...)

You sure are calm for someone who is accusing his own girlfriend of murder.
You have it all wrong! Allowing her to pay the price is a form of love. She says that she also wants to pay back her debt to society, but...

And why do you believe that the victim was set on taking Ms. Paups's life?
I suppose it's because he wanted to silence her. To keep her quiet, because she knows the truth behind the kidnapping.
In that case, why did he not target you as well?
...Th-That's because...because he knew that if he killed me, he wouldn't be able to control my father.
Ho ho ho. Right you are. Even if it cost me millions, I would have had the killer found.
I believe he didn't kill you for an entirely different reason, however, I digress...
L-Look, more than why he didn't kill me, I'm worried about what'll happen to Lolli!

Justified self-defense? I suppose that is a possibility, given the circumstances.
Really!? Oh, thank goodness...!
However, self-defense was not necessary in this case.
Wh-What do you mean!?
Ms. Paups is innocent.
She didn't do anything, so why would she need to defend herself from nothing?
You still don't believe a word I say, do you...!?

Loop.

(His entire argument hinges on the fact that her fingerprints are on the gun. However, the truth does not lie there. It lies in whatever he is hiding from me, but not for long!)

And back to the objection about the gun fingerprints.

It's simply not possible for Ms. Paups to have left any prints on the murder weapon. Because, while she was at the stadium, Ms. Paups was wearing a costume.

Huh!?
But there's been no mistake! We found fingerprints!
Well, Ms. Paups? Do you remember touching the gun at all at any time?
Ah, yes! As a matter of fact, I did hold it for a bit back in the hideout! I handed it off to Mr. Deacon when he and Lance left for the haunted house.
(To retrieve the ransom money, I suppose...)
And there you have it. That is when Ms. Paups's prints found their way onto the gun.
Grrrrrr...
Do you understand now, Mr. Amano? The fingerprints do nothing to prove that Ms. Paups is the murderer.
But you still don't have anything to prove that she ISN'T the killer, right?
You seem very adamant about insisting that your girlfriend is a cold-blooded killer...
Oh, Lance...!
What!? No way! I'm incredibly worried about her!
But that doesn't change the fact that you don't have any evidence, right?
Hmph. That's where you're wrong. I have the evidence.
What...How...!?
The story that Ms. Paups killed the victim at the stage in the stadium... The whole affair is simply not true, because that was not the real crime scene, but a set-up.

Let us take another good look at the costume the victim was wearing. Then, I believe you will see why I insist he was not shot at the stadium.

The burn around this bullet hole was made when the victim was shot at point-blank range.
Ah! So then, you mean the "murder" Ms. Oldbag saw at the stadium really was...
Yes. She saw two people, but they were separated by a distance. If the victim was indeed shot from below the stage, there shouldn't be a gunpowder burn!
Argn!
Heh, look at you, Mr. Smarty-Pants Prosecutor. Since you seem to know all the answers, why not tell us where the real crime scene is then?

Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly

(If that's the case, then the murder must have happened prior to that! And the location where Lance and the victim were at just before I was imprisoned was...)

I think it's not unreasonable to assume the murder took place in the haunted house.

Yes, and I have proof that it is highly likely that the victim was killed there!

A mirror? And what does that have to do with anything?
Indeed. You don't exactly expect to find pieces of a mirror inside a costume.
Yeah, that's actually pretty dangerous.
However, there is one place I can think of where there is a plethora of mirror fragments. And that is the haunted house.

After that, you stole the Blue Badgermobile to move his body to the Wild, Wild West area. The timing of when the Blue Badgermobile was stolen confirms this as fact!
Miles, my boy. Say no more!
I'm sorry, Mr. Amano, but I cannot do that.

Be quiet!
Yes, please, do something! Stop that boy from speaking any more nonsense!
Ernest Amano, correct? I meant you. Now be quiet, gramps.
H-How dare you!?
I don't need words. The only thing I require is evidence. Decisive evidence! And to call these mirror bits "decisive" is a bit too presumptuous, Mr. Prosecutor.
What!?
Shih-na! Wasn't there a mirror in the kidnappers' hideout?
Yes, there was a mirror there.

But, Agent Lang, there were no fragments on the floor, so the probability is very low.
"Probability"? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Lang Zi says: "On truth's path, the word "probability" does not exist." The only thing that does is definitive proof. The question, Mr. Prosecutor, is, "Do you have the definitive proof you need?"
Well, Mr. Edgeworth? Do you!?
............(Do I have solid evidence that proves the murder took place at the haunted house...?) The answer is...no.
See! So since you don't have any, shut up!
(I don't have the evidence yet...But...)

Suspense

(At that time, the only people at the haunted house besides myself...were Lance and Mr. Deacon. If I can prove that the murder took place at the haunted house...then I can prove Lance's guilt in connection to the murder!)

Agent Lang. I have a special request.
Yeah?
I'd like to prove to you that the scene of the crime was indeed the haunted house.
Why in the world are you asking the werewolf for permission!?
Because I don't really have a choice, if I want to find the truth.
Alright, permission granted. But you're not to touch a single thing, got it!?
That won't be a problem. All that's important to me is that the truth be brought to light. It doesn't matter by who or how it's done, as long as it is.
..................Tch! Shih-na!
I'm here.
Put in the paperwork for the authorization immediately.
Understood. I'll go get the Gatewater Group's approval.

Wh-Who was that!?

Mr. Amano...?

What is this...? Shih-na!
It's...the deed to the haunted house.
The deed?
Read it, out loud!
"Gatewater Land, Inc. hereby bequeaths the property known as the "Haunted House"...to Mr. Amano for the lump sum of $ 1 million, paid in full in cash. "
What!?
Ho ho ho. As you can see, I am now the legal owner of the haunted house.
Are you kidding?! When did you--!?
I ran into the owner of the park earlier, and we made the deal almost immediately. How quickly things move when you can prepare a million dollars in the blink of an eye.
Th - That $ 1 million you paid...Don't tell me it was...!
Oh, that's right.

I don't have any more use for it, so you may have it back now.
Y-You used the ransom money...!?
My Lance is a good boy. He even apologized for the kidnapping a bit earlier...so I do believe that I will forgive him. After all, he did return the ransom money. That's the way things are, so if you would please discuss things with me from now on...
Discuss? What is there to discuss?
Why, permission to enter the haunted house, of course.
(While we were busy listening to Lance's story, Mr. Amano was out there preempting us!)

Agent Lang, I want you to arrest that girl. And Miles, you should hurry on home now, my boy, before I really lose my temper.
(Arngh! Mr. Amano definitely has the deck stacked in his favor here...What should I do? If I leave it like this, the truth will be lost forever!)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 20, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

I appreciate the hat tip to Clue.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wow they're not being subtle about the guy buyinh his way out of trouble are they

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Uuuuuuuuugghhhhhhhhhh

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is his ears being super long some cultural stereotype thing? The only place I've seen that before was a sort of extreme punk rock ear spool thing which I kind of doubt is what they're going for here.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

V. Illych L. posted:

wow they're not being subtle about the guy buying his way out of trouble are they

The dude's Dad using/abusing the power of money to keep his son from being convicted is exactly the sort of shenanigans I expect from an Ace Attorney game.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Mzbundifund posted:

Is his ears being super long some cultural stereotype thing? The only place I've seen that before was a sort of extreme punk rock ear spool thing which I kind of doubt is what they're going for here.

I presume it's a reference to the long ears of the Buddha, theoretically suggesting wisdom, enlightenment, and compassion. Of course, we're kind of past that by now.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Haifisch posted:

Argh! Is there no one in this country who actually obeys the law!?

No. No, there is not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Reminds me of a Final Fantasy monster, personally, but it's probably a Buddha thing as another goon mentioned.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mycelia posted:

No. No, there is not.
That whole exchange is basically capitalism.txt.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Haifisch posted:

(That's it? These are the case-making pieces of evidence?) Hah! I'll be the judge of that!)

There's an extra or missing parenthesis here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the update! This case definitely drags a bit when playing through, but we're in the homestretch for real now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'd have to imagine Ernest's deal is based on Daikokuten, god of commerce and financial prosperity.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This case drags on forever in the middle, but it at least has a solid home stretch coming up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This case drags on forever in the middle, but it at least has a solid home stretch coming up.

It's been going on for so long at this point that I've forgotten how it started!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's an extra or missing parenthesis here.
Fixed.

ToxicFrog posted:

It's been going on for so long at this point that I've forgotten how it started!
To be fair, I've literally been doing updates for this case for over a year now. :shepface:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ToxicFrog posted:

After getting off the airplane from case 1 we got a call from Mr. Buying Us Out Of The Case asking us to handle a random demand from his son. We showed up at the theme park, went into the haunted house for the money drop and got clobbered by a badger.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Long ears = long life (= wisdom???) is definitely a thing I picked up from the Chinese side of my family. They skew Catholic but it's probably from Buddhism.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

After getting off the airplane from case 1 we got a call from Mr. Buying Us Out Of The Case asking us to handle a random demand from his son. We showed up at the theme park, went into the haunted house for the money drop and got clobbered by a badger.

Case 2. Case 1 is after this.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Case 2. Case 1 is after this.

Man, Edgeworth really hasn't had a good few days, has he?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

This isn’t even the worst case in terms of dragging itself out for way too drat long, believe it or not.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regalingualius posted:

This isn’t even the worst case in terms of dragging itself out for way too drat long, believe it or not.

Turnabout Ablaze is perfect and beautiful and I will not accept otherwise. The Grand Turnabout from AAI2, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Quackles posted:

Man, Edgeworth really hasn't had a good few days, has he?

Surely it can't get worse. :v:

Quackles posted:

Turnabout Ablaze is perfect and beautiful and I will not accept otherwise. The Grand Turnabout from AAI2, though...

That is the exact reverse of my opinion.