Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

What are you all talking about bugs for? Half the fun of gen one is that aside from the focus energy stuff, everything in that post was by design.

This is the best part of Gen 1 to me. Is the code horribly broken? Undeniably, but a lot of that didn't come from genuine glitches, it came from terrible decisions and a desperate attempt to make things work in the Gameboy despite pushing it to its absolute limits.

By Gen 2 they had gotten wiser but it really took until like Gen 4 to make a lot of really obvious fixes. Much like the creatures themselves, Pokemon is a game that evolved with time. And its first stage was wacky as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gen 1 feels a lot like some of the "success" states in pseudocode games like TIS-100 and 7 Billion Humans. Program technically completes successfully, but one/half/all but one of your workers hurls themselves into a bottomless pit? Program completes successfully, ship it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

all it takes is peeling back the thinnest layer to start finding bugs.

Or just walking into viridian forest :v:

Also insert a joke about Satoshi Tajiri's insect collecting hobby and inspiration here, there is probably something good there

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Dareon posted:

Gen 1 feels a lot like some of the "success" states in pseudocode games like TIS-100 and 7 Billion Humans. Program technically completes successfully, but one/half/all but one of your workers hurls themselves into a bottomless pit? Program completes successfully, ship it.

So long as the elementary kid playing doesn't see the workers hurling themselves in to pits, its a success.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dareon posted:

You just brought back memories of Lemmings 2. One idea touted by game guides was such a thing. Kill all but one lemming on the first stage of each one, take him through the rest of the stages, go back to the first, save them all. Technically you get gold talisman pieces you need for the ending.

It's false, though. You need a minimum of 30 to get through all the various stages for it to count, and the game will tell you so at the end.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

PMush Perfect posted:

it stored encounter data in the same place as your name.
TL;DR: Generation 1 is weird, y'all.

:stare: So does this mean you can control encounter rates with specific name choices?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

:stare: So does this mean you can control encounter rates with specific name choices?

That's how the MissingNo trick works, but no, not quite.

When you talk to the Old Man, the game needs to replace your name with OLD MAN. But it needs to store your name somewhere, so that you don't become OLD MAN forever.
Since encounter data isn't used for that encounter, it stores it there, and copies it back to your name when it's done. Now, that should be safe, because as soon as you'd enter an encounter area, the game would overwrite it with the encounter data for that area.
Cinnabar Island doesn't have any encounter data, so it doesn't get replaced. And the one tile bar on the coast of that DOES have ENCOUNTERS, which would normally take encounters from the encounter field. Go to Safari Zone, then to Cinnabar? Floating Kangaskhan.

But since if you do the glitch, your name IS the encounter data, it reads from there. Specifically, it takes certain slots for the Pokemon species, other slots for the levels.

Details here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Old_man_glitch

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I came here from reborn.

I guess this is abandoned.

Still wanted to know if ponyta or porygon was going to take down mewtwo.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Porygon might be able to. I don't see ponyta pulling it off, though!

A shame it was put on the dreaded indefinite hiatus, was great seeing someone dominate the broken-rear end gen 1 Stadium.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can revive this soonish. Real life has been a crazy cluster gently caress the last couple months. Most recently and most importantly, my newborn son is in the NICU.

But if I can still keep this moving, I will. The power of spite is strong in me.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good luck with the wee one. The internet can wait!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Good luck with your son!!!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Good luck with your son! With the holidays adding on to everything else, it's not unexpected for folks to just disappear for a few months to get everything back in order. Spite alone can only get you so far!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'd be concerned if you were prioritizing playing video games for the internet over your son. :v:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm definitely still interested in this, but do what's most important to do first.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Real life comes first. Do what you have to.

Wish you and your son all the best, I hope he gets all the good egg moves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spit Up
Screech
Charm
Sludge Bomb

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Spit Up
Screech
Charm
Sludge Bomb

What ability did he get? Cute Charm? Intimidate?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chronische posted:

What ability did he get? Cute Charm? Intimidate?
Levitate. :kheldragar:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just make sure you report back with his IV spread once he's leveled up enough to tell.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Haifisch posted:

Just make sure you report back with his IV spread once he's leveled up enough to tell.

Hey, this is Stadium 1. Use era-appropriate lingo.
DVs instead of IVs, stat exp instead of EVs, and no natures or abilities. :colbert:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hidden ability babies are very rare!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Golux posted:

Hidden ability babies are very rare!

I don't know. I've heard they all float down here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Obligatory keep this from falling into archives post because I've had some difficulties with things (such as new baby!) and haven't felt up to updating this, but I'm not ready to give up on it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Godspeed Pmush and Pmush jr.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And Mr/Ms. PMush

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Consider your moral supported!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Grats on the baby!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just confirming this as dead. I've started a new Stadium LP here. Thanks for coming along the journey, y'all. See you around.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 10, 2019