Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For Starmie, I personally prefer Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave/Recover/Psychic (or Surf) to the traditional special sweeper. Or get two Starmies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MagusofStars posted:

Is Recover not very useful in the Cups so you intentionally overwrote it or were you forced to skip it due to the level restriction?
Unfortunately. Starmie is also a very good special tank, so I might have even been able to use something else over Chansey.

SirSystemError posted:

That said, surprised at no Dragon Ragers on the team. When I think "break the game in half" and "Pika Cup" I think Dragon Rage.
Oh, we can do better than guaranteed two hit KOs. :unsmigghh:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 23, 2018

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Aww, no Gen 2 tradebacks for Gengar or Alakazam?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sorites posted:

Aww, no Gen 2 tradebacks for Gengar or Alakazam?
I could get both of them now, actually, but mostly limited to just the TM move pool, Alakazam loses half of his good, and Gengar just becomes a Starmie who doesn't get STAB.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ephraim225 posted:

I own a copy of that and Japanese Blue. Don't you have to do something with the console or cartridge to make it fit in the slot?
You can swap the back of the Japanese cart with one from a US cart to make it fit in the slot. Maybe you can also modify the slot itself like you could with the SNES (where all you needed to play Super Famicom games on a US system was to grab a pair of pliers and pull out a couple of plastic tabs from the back of the cartridge slot), but I haven't looked into that.

I think the Japanese carts are the same shape as PAL ones, so they should fit in that version of the system but won't play because of the whole 50/60Hz issue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PMush Perfect posted:

Trade gymnastics

This is amazing.

I'm curious, do you not consider the Missingno item duping trick to be legit?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That's a lovely description for an attack.

Also this is a wonderful team set-up and I appreciate it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'm curious, do you not consider the Missingno item duping trick to be legit?
Rules-as-written, yes. But I wanted to do this rules-as-intended. I'm actually considering doing a victory lap that doesn't even require non-NPC trading, much less duping.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, that's some effort into building up a team. I can't wait to see how it tears through everything. I was a kid when I played this so even using my cartridge Pokemon they weren't...great...to say the least. This team definitely looks very solid.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This already looks like it's going to be loads of fun, I've never played this so this is all new to me.

I knew you could get underlevelled things from in-game trades in various games, but I'd always thought of that as a novelty with little practical use. Looks like it's going to be a lot more useful than I thought.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

This guy's theme seems to be "please don't use Psychic moves on me"

Isn't that the theme of any Gen1 team that doesn't have psychic typing on every team member?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I remember a gaming magazine as a kid devoted a lot of time over several issues on how to beat the game, and by the end the guy doing the playthrough was not even attempting to hide how it had almost driven him insane from the difficulty.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This should be a lot of fun, since I don't know much about the Stadium games and I didn't go into a lot of metagame stuff like we're already seeing in my Yellow LP. It's also cool seeing the move descriptions since they weren't a thing until Gen 2, as well as all the various intricacies of Gen 1, since while I talked about them a bit here and there, there's just so much stuff to go into ridiculous detail, so this should be a treat.

As for the Lickitung trade, I never ever thought about using other games to help with that, especially to get an early Lickitung to then get an early Dugtrio. The trade is completely pointless, as Lickitung is the last regular Pokemon you obtain in Yellow, obtained just before Mewtwo and the trade for Dugtrio occurs AFTER you can already catch Dugtrio. It's not an awful trade, but it pales in comparison to the Cubone for Machamp trade.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, we can do better than guaranteed two hit KOs. :unsmigghh:
Fair, and very true.

Crosspeice posted:

As for the Lickitung trade, I never ever thought about using other games to help with that, especially to get an early Lickitung to then get an early Dugtrio. The trade is completely pointless, as Lickitung is the last regular Pokemon you obtain in Yellow, obtained just before Mewtwo and the trade for Dugtrio occurs AFTER you can already catch Dugtrio. It's not an awful trade, but it pales in comparison to the Cubone for Machamp trade.

It is pretty absurd aside from this case...which is also kinda absurd in itself. But considering every single Pokemon you can trade for in Yellow can be obtained at a low enough level for Pika Cup - Kangaskhan for Muk in English aside since that needs Japanese Blue - it almost makes me think that was the point. As touched on in enabling a few of the trades too, Yellow also has low level captures that can fit into Pika Cup as well, like Dragonair.

Pika Cup is actually probably my favorite Stadium cup because of all that and how interesting battles at low levels are. Wish it came back in future installments.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh good lord.

The Pika Cup has no idea what's coming for it. TREMBLE MORTALS, AND DESPAIR. DOOM HAS COME TO THIS TOURNAMENT.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Managed to get the update with the entire tournament down to just under 100 images, so I don't have to break my image naming conventions. Normally I'm gonna split each tournament into two smaller updates, but this time, I just had to get it all at once. Expect something later today, I have a lot of filename alt text to write!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was trying to beat Pika Cup with a rental team and gently caress that stupid Gyarados and that stupid Tentacruel and also that stupid Mr. Mime on the semifinals.

Anyway, wanna see some breaking of Gen 1, that's always fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yes, my request for the new thread tag went through!

Edit: Let's celebrate with an UPDATE!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 23, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 2: There's a starman waiting in the sky

We're here to prove just how crazy you can get with imported Pokemon, and our team is ready as they're ever going to be. This is gonna be a bit of a long one, so buckle up!

Tournament opponents are static, it's only which Pokemon they send out that changes, so Bug Boy has the same team as before.

Said team is still weak to Psychic.

Lad also returns, with the same team as before.

Through use of Quick Attack, which almost always goes first, he even gets one attack off!

One.

Swimmer who, as you might imagine, has a team of mostly Water Pokemon, plus also a Nidorino because, I dunno, maybe Seadra didn't return his calls. Nidorino doesn't even get his Ground-typing until he evolves so it can't be to cover the electric weakness. Grass, maybe?

Whatever, Ziggy do what Ziggy do. Wartortle and Nidorino fall in short order, and his last Pokemon is...

Well, now that's just insulting.

Bye.

Burglar is the same, except with being weak to Water instead of Electric.

The match doesn't go well for him.

An Electrician! He's got some real shocking dreams!

I think I'm going to have to ground them.

Wait, what?

Okay, that's fine, I'll just crush it with a couple Earthquakes. Kingler has a really lovely Special stat anyways, which means its Water-type attacks are fairly garbage.

Wait... what?

Well, alright, Gurio still survived with a sliver of HP, let's use that Hyper Beam I've been sitting on!

Aw, man, I lost my perfect. :( That's what I get for showboating.

Gurio is avenged, quite messily.

Porygon puts up a fight, but unfortunately even Psychic and a type weakness can't make up for Porygon's mediocre stats.

Elvis isn't dead, kid, he just went home.

Round six is against a Hiker, our first opponent with a decent type spread, and some Pokemon who might provide actual threats, namely Seadra, who's got a very respectable Surf coming off a solid 47 Special, Wigglytuff, bringing Sing to put you to sleep, Mega Kick (Normal-type Fire Blast) for damage, and a boatload of HP, and Rhyhorn, who's got basically the same moveset as Buffy. Bring the wrong team, and these guys could put some serious hurt on you.

We didn't bring the wrong team.

Lass is another competent opponent, bringing quite a few evolved Pokemon. Dewgong even requires low-level trade shenanigans (Growlithe for a Dewgong in Red or Yellow), and is unavailable for rental. Most of them have very solid moves, too, with Gyarados having Double-Edge, Surf, and even Thunder.

Shame it takes quadruple damage from electric itself, huh?

Mr. Mime is slower than Kadabra and Alakazam (in fact it has the same base speed as Abra), and is somewhat lacking in physical bulk, but it's still a Psychic-type in Generation 1.

I still two-shot it with Surf.

And her last Pokemon? Meowth, more like Meowned! wait poo poo I made that joke last update

The final round, and this one's actually exciting!

Fisher has a very respectable team that doesn't lean too hard on his type theme. All of them have incredibly powerful moves, with Dragonair in particular having a Thunder Wave / Wrap combo used by Dragonites in competitive, Double Team, and Dragon Rage. Dragon Rage is the only damaging Dragon-type move in Generation 1, and it always does exactly 40 damage, regardless of typing or stats. It will two-shot anyone except Chansey, and even one-shot Gurio. And with a speed of 46, it will go before everyone on our team except Starmie.

It's an exact copy of a moveset I seriously considered putting on our team, but I didn't because I thought it'd be a bit too cheap. We might be in for a ride.

He opens with Slowbro, while I open with Ziggy, because of course I do.

Thunderbolt happens and lands a paralysis, but with its own ridiculous bulk, Slowbro actually survives with a sliver of health...

...and then hits that 1/4 chance to miss its turn. Ouch. No points for guessing what happens next. It's another Thunderbolt.

Up next is his Clefable, which sports Hyper Beam, Double Edge, Thunderbolt, and the obligatory Metronome. Coming off of a 42 Attack, and Double Edge getting STAB, that is a respectable amount of hurt it can put down.

In addition to being the most damaging move in the best type in the game, Psychic also has a 1/3 chance to lower the target's Special stat. Because of how the Special stat works, not only does this mean that your future Psychics will do more damage, but also your opponent's special attacks will do less.

And this is as good a chance to talk about Special as any. In later games, it would be split into Special Attack and Special Defense, mirroring physical Attack and Defense, but in Generation 1, it's both. Anything that lowers your defenses also lowers your damage, and anything that raises your damage also raises your defenses. Case in point, between Starmie's rather massive Special stat, and the drop put on Clefable, the super effective Thunderbolt would take four hits to bring down Starmie (barring critical hits).

It doesn't get a chance to use it twice.

And Fisher's last Pokemon is Raticate. Raticate doesn't top out a lot of threat lists. It's available early, evolves early, and gets STAB on some very respectable moves, as well as a decent pool of TMs, but its somewhat average stats and the presence of stronger Normal-types means it tends to lag behind.

Buffy comes in, being a physical powerhouse who also resists Normal means even a critical hit doesn't put much of a dent in it, and Buffy is now in a position to level it with Earthquake.

Unless, of course, I underestimate it and forget it has Bubblebeam.

Well, Lola has pretty bad defenses, but after putting Ticatish to sleep, she'll be able to buff it up with Barrier and go to town with Psychic.

Or that could happen. Well, this could be a bit of a pickle. With Raticate having taken down two of our team members, we only have one left, that gaffe could cost me the game.

Or Ziggy could just keep being a badass, that works, too.

And that's the end of the Pika cup! There's also a little Hall of Fame spread, but we're gonna save that for when we actually earn it. That being said, the MVP award clearly goes to...

Nah, just kidding, it's Ziggy.

Well, that was fun.

:siren: Audience Participation :siren:
I've been keeping track of all the "other" votes from the previous update, and have compiled them into a list of interesting team gimmicks. Let's see which one sounds best to y'all!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 2, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bug get overlooked a lot because of their weaknesses and not many great STAB moves (I can't even recall which of the good ones existed in gen1) so I want to see what you can do with them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Bug get overlooked a lot because of their weaknesses and not many great STAB moves (I can't even recall which of the good ones existed in gen1) so I want to see what you can do with them.
Pin Missile and Twinneedle. Twinneedle is only learned by a Pokemon weak to Psychic, Beedrill, and Pin Missile is only learned by Beedrill and Jolteon. Leech Life also exists, but has a base power of 20. Bug is... not very good in Gen 1.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

:same:
I'm probably forgetting something, but the only actual Bug damage move that sticks out in my mind was the (lovely!) Beedrill-specific one and Leech Life. In the main RBY games, a couple of the bugs got Psychic-type abilities, so you can make them viable, but that's all I ever managed to do with them beyond the very early game when I was basically just looking for any warm body to have 6 different types to fill out the roster*.

*In all honesty, just feeding that XP to the starter would probably have been a smarter move given just how poo poo the bugs are, but 12-year old me wasn't exactly a master of tactical efficiency.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, there's different animations for light and heavy damage? I didn't know that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, there's different animations for light and heavy damage? I didn't know that.
That might have been unclear. If you take a small enough amount of damage, there's no damage animation at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

Pin Missile... which was available exclusively on non-bugs and bugs that were part-poison type so psychic was super effective against them. Bugs didn't get good for a long time. And Twinneedle, which was stuck on a very mediocre pokemon that was also part poison.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Scyther and Pinsir didn't learn bug-type moves at all. You basically played them as Normal attackers.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

One cup into the game and already we see the game's issue of wanting to have themed trainers, but not like...having enough pokemon for variety. So instead you get half hearted attempts at something that might be a theme, sometimes.

The Pika Cup is pretty interesting conceptually, since it has such a specific & weird pool of pokemon, and it's kind of a shame they never tried it again outside of stadium 1 & 2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes, my request for the new thread tag went through!

Edit: Let's celebrate with an UPDATE!

The Robot worked its metal rear end off to get it and now EVERYONE IN LP has access to Wallhack Mario :homebrew:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm impressed by these nicknames, goddamn.

"Broish".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:toot:

People have strong opinions about bugs and minigames.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pin Missile was good on Jolteon because every grass type worth using was 4x weak to it and would otherwise wall Jolteon. You still don't use it against psychic types that aren't Exeggutor because Thunderbolt does more damage, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WrightOfWay posted:

Pin Missile was good on Jolteon because every grass type worth using was 4x weak to it and would otherwise wall Jolteon. You still don't use it against psychic types that aren't Exeggutor because Thunderbolt does more damage, though.

Jolteon also had nothing else worth using beyond Thunder/bolt and thunder wave. Gen1 has serious issues with pokemon having badly limited movesets and/or great stats they can't use effectively.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't beat me to talking about everything I want to!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jolteon is my Eeveelution of choice, but I will admit it was kinda meh in the first generation. I don't think any of the 3 were particularly good in the first generation, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Jolteon had a pretty good run on serious teams back in the early RBY days in a very specific role that I won't describe in case PMush wants to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Jolteon is my Eeveelution of choice, but I will admit it was kinda meh in the first generation. I don't think any of the 3 were particularly good in the first generation, though.

Jolteon having Pin Missile helped it stand out from the other electrics if nothing else. Your standard electric in Gen1 had thunderbolt, thunder wave, and ???. The really good electrics had something to fill in that ??? with, like Jolteon with pin missile, Raichu with surf (a fringe case due to how problematic getting that was), and Electabuzz with fire punch.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Jolteon was very good in the first generation because it had a good moveset and was fast as gently caress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And we're up to almost 70 responses, still with the two neck and neck, but as for right this very moment, Minigame Gang is winning. So, here's what I'm gonna do.

Both. It's pretty obvious the one I don't pick would dominate the next poll, so why even pretend it wouldn't? However, since one of them technically has to win, I'll be doing Minigame Gang first.

This also lets me have a head start if I get in a mood to record a bunch at once.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

quote:

Dumb minor thing I forgot how much I appreciated:

Stadium tweaks color schemes slightly depending on your mon's nickname. The results are sometimes cool, sometimes...less so. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Dumb minor thing I forgot how much I appreciated:

Stadium tweaks color schemes slightly depending on your mon's nickname. The results are sometimes cool, sometimes...less so. :v:
I always wondered if this is where they got the idea for shinies.