Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh good, a completionist LP of a game I never played, and it's Pokemon, and it's an SSLP? A dream come true.

I love the naming convention this game has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Quantum Toast posted:

I always wondered if this is where they got the idea for shinies.

Either me or my friend had Mewtwos in their oldman/fly/surf glitch, so I had a team of Mewone through Mewsix in stadium.

My other friends did not like me.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

So, something we all probably know but I'm going to mention for posterity's sake. The opponent's pokemon can be much higher level than yours. That last Raticate for instance, was level 18. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but remember that rental pokemon are all hard locked at the lowest possible level of whatever tournament you're fighting in. Lao, pretty sure official gen 1 tournaments worked on an average level spread. So you could have three level 53 pokemon, or two 50s and one 55. I don't think the AI plays by that rule. If it wants to bring it's best monsters to destroy your poorly balanced rental tem, then by God it will.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So, something we all probably know but I'm going to mention for posterity's sake. The opponent's pokemon can be much higher level than yours. That last Raticate for instance, was level 18. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but remember that rental pokemon are all hard locked at the lowest possible level of whatever tournament you're fighting in. Lao, pretty sure official gen 1 tournaments worked on an average level spread. So you could have three level 53 pokemon, or two 50s and one 55. I don't think the AI plays by that rule. If it wants to bring it's best monsters to destroy your poorly balanced rental tem, then by God it will.

It was actually level 50-55 and the sum of the 3 levels selected from your 6 could not exceed 155

the perils of competitive formatting that must allow for the one (1) pokemon in the game that evolves at level 55

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man I loved this game. It came out at the perfect time and has so many little touches and whistles it's just wonderful. Some of the noises and animations and announcements are just burnt into my memory. Plus it has some of my favourite music from the whole game series. The Prime Cup one rules.

Also the minigames were so good. And being able to sequence break the GB games by getting a drink early and going to Saffron city as soon as possible. I don't remember if there was anything you could do with that, but it was neat.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can you recruit Ticatfish to your team?

I would appreciate this a lot as a fan of both the Ticats and fish

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

McDragon posted:

Some of the noises and animations and announcements are just burnt into my memory.

"Savage attack!"
"Ride that Surf!"
"A Psychic flash!"
"It's finally taken down."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"What's the matter trainer?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's one I heard a lot this time that I don't normally hear "it's casually cast aside!". Pretty sure it's after getting a OHKO with a move that isn't super effective.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sorites posted:

"Savage attack!"
"Ride that Surf!"
"A Psychic flash!"
"It's finally taken down."

"Oooh, this one looks tough!"
"Submission going down!"
"Wearing the foe down appears to be the plan."

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
"It goes down after a good fight!"

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

There's one I heard a lot this time that I don't normally hear "it's casually cast aside!". Pretty sure it's after getting a OHKO with a move that isn't super effective.

I think so too. And "it's...too...strong!" is for an OHKO with a resisted move. Although that one might be in Pokemon Stadium 2 only.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That was hilarious, Starmie isn't even the strongest Gen 1 Pokemon but here we see how broken its wide movepool is in a game where most Pokemon wish they had a STAB.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can you do the twitch plays pokemon team at some point?

I think it was Omanyte, Pidgeot, Zapdos, Nidoking, Lapras and Venemoth

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"The Pokemon are entirely different types."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

That was hilarious, Starmie isn't even the strongest Gen 1 Pokemon but here we see how broken its wide movepool is in a game where most Pokemon wish they had a STAB.

I like how Starmie has been a Very Good Pokmon throughout the series basically on the back of its amazing movepool and speed. Apparently it's finally Not Very Good in SM, which I can only imagine means they powercreeped the gently caress out of stats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dias posted:

I like how Starmie has been a Very Good Pokmon throughout the series basically on the back of its amazing movepool and speed. Apparently it's finally Not Very Good in SM, which I can only imagine means they powercreeped the gently caress out of stats.

Starmie also has the advantage of being a psychic type, which for a long time in Pokemon was the best type in the game. It's also one of those rare really good critters that has two distinct and effective sets, the special sweeper we saw here, and confuse ray/thunder wave/recover/one of psychic, thunderbolt, surf, or ice beam.

Great stats, terrific (if very TM-dependent for single player) movepool, and very readily available. Once you get the Good Rod, fish up a staryu at Fuschia, slap it with a water stone, and you're off to the races.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Hey, what's it doing? Down it goes!

PMush Perfect posted:

I believe this is for when a Pokemon defeats one much below its level. It's most likely to happen in Pika Cup because 20 vs 15 counts in that regard, and of course you were running a level 20 Starmie most of the time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't know about *the* strongest (Mew and Mewtwo aside of course) but Starmie is a tip-top tier pokemon in RBY that's in almost every serious team. Water/Psychic is awesome and Starmie's moveset is such that you can deploy it in several very effective ways.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know about *the* strongest (Mew and Mewtwo aside of course) but Starmie is a tip-top tier pokemon in RBY that's in almost every serious team. Water/Psychic is awesome and Starmie's moveset is such that you can deploy it in several very effective ways.

Tauros was considered THE competitive pokemon, outside of Mewtwo because it could get hyper beam with STAB, only resisted by rock types, had a decent special stat and could use earthquake.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Tauros was considered THE competitive pokemon, outside of Mewtwo because it could get hyper beam with STAB, only resisted by rock types, had a decent special stat and could use earthquake.

Snorlax was worse. All of that with better attack, defense, HP, and special.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Cythereal posted:

110 Speed though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Starmie also has the advantage of being a psychic type, which for a long time in Pokemon was the best type in the game. It's also one of those rare really good critters that has two distinct and effective sets, the special sweeper we saw here, and confuse ray/thunder wave/recover/one of psychic, thunderbolt, surf, or ice beam.

Great stats, terrific (if very TM-dependent for single player) movepool, and very readily available. Once you get the Good Rod, fish up a staryu at Fuschia, slap it with a water stone, and you're off to the races.

Starmie's Psychic typing has been more of a detriment than a boon since gen 2, really. Being frail and weak to pursuit is not a great combination. Being the only good offensive pokemon with Rapid Spin was the main thing that kept Starmie relevant in later generations and as each generation added more walls that Starmie can't break through and more hazard setters that Starmie can't beat it was ultimately a victim of power creep.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
My personal favorite announcer quote proabably has to be

"What's the point in splashing!?" (One of two things the announcer says if you deadass use Splash in a competitive setting)

Cythereal posted:

And to think Snorlax only got more terrifying in Gen 2...
(And then got really lovely...)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sordas Volantyr posted:

(And then got really lovely...)
Not entirely. Snorlax stayed in Overused until Gen 5 (pretty much the power creep generation for non-Ubers competitive, and when Fighting actually became good), when it hit Underused. Since then, its offenses have started to lag behind, but the combination of Thick Fat (giving it resistance to Fire and Ice) and 160/65/110 defenses make it a very good Special tank that can come in on a lot of threats and then push their poo poo in. It's never going to be absolutely top tier again, there's too many good Fighting types now, but OU for four generations straight is still drat impressive.

Edit: You wanna talk about a fall from grace, Tauros went from OU in Gen 3 to being Never Used in Gen 4, which it hasn't escaped since. (As a consolation prize, it did get banned from PU in Gen 7, putting it in the same lofty heights as Sawk, non-Mega Charizard and Archeops.)

Edit2: The advent of Team Preview also really helped do Snorlax in, because before, it could jump a lot of Pokemon by surprise and either set up or punch faces, depending on the set. Once you know it's coming, though, it's a lot easier to play around.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 24, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I still say the best PU Tier Pokemon is Skuntank :v:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I for one am already excited for the inevitable sequel to this thread with Pokemon Stadium 2, so that we can fuckle with Shuckle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sorry about update delays. Bugs are not very good in Gen 1, so I'm trying to figure out which tournament they would be least awful in.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Sorry about update delays. Bugs are not very good in Gen 1, so I'm trying to figure out which tournament they would be least awful in.

Are any besides Caterpie and Weedle even allowed in the Petit Cup?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PMush Perfect posted:

It's been two days since you opened the thread and you've done 2.5 updates. The pace is fine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

What do you mean? Bugs in this generation give you a crapton of item clones and Pokemon above level 100!

...oh, not that kind of bug.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

What do you mean? Bugs in this generation give you a crapton of item clones and Pokemon above level 100!

...oh, not that kind of bug.

How many more times is this joke going to get made in this thread?

(More than you'd think)

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Oh man I loved Pokemon Stadium growing up, it was incredibly unfair though so I never beat the gym challenge. The announcer is probably my favorite part of the two games though, he's just so hyped about everything.

"WAH! TAKEN DOWN WITH ONE HIT!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:(

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I played this game once, and I don't remember what pokemon I was using but it had Swift and I swear I once had Swift miss on me. I know Swift is supposed to be a 100% accurate move, but I suspect it just has a base accuracy of 99.5% in Gen 1 or something with an inability of its accuracy to be lowered and Pokemon Stadium's RNG decided to gently caress with me.

There's no way I can confirm this unless someone can glean that from the source code or somebody has the patience to roll the dice on a few thousand uses of Swift to see if one misses. But the game already felt brutal when it came to critical hits and 1HKO moves so Swift missing seemed right at home.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bricoleur posted:

I played this game once, and I don't remember what pokemon I was using but it had Swift and I swear I once had Swift miss on me. I know Swift is supposed to be a 100% accurate move, but I suspect it just has a base accuracy of 99.5% in Gen 1 or something with an inability of its accuracy to be lowered and Pokemon Stadium's RNG decided to gently caress with me.

There's no way I can confirm this unless someone can glean that from the source code or somebody has the patience to roll the dice on a few thousand uses of Swift to see if one misses. But the game already felt brutal when it came to critical hits and 1HKO moves so Swift missing seemed right at home.

Swift literally doesn't have an accuracy check in Gen 1 so it will never, ever miss.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Could it have been Stadium 2? Protect and Detect will force a Miss (and it will be described as a Miss, the 'protected itself' language came in later).

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I thought all moves in gen 1 had at least a 1/255 chance to miss.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I thought all moves in gen 1 had at least a 1/255 chance to miss.

Not Swift. It skips the flawed calculation that creates the miss chance and just hits automatically no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And we're up to the third time the first three fights have been cake and Brock facerolls me.

:shepicide: