Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Ah, my memory was playing tricks on me then. I thought fire punch was made available in yellow.

You could teach Electabuzz Fire Punch in Gen 2 and then trade it back to Gen 1, but that's a lot of work for a pokemon that still isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, as I recall "tradebacks" to RBY (as it was called before it became known as Gen 1) were kind of a big deal way back in the Gen 2 years, and there were "pure RBY" and "tradebacks of RBY moves assigned to RBY pokemon in GSC are cool and good" factions among players. But Fire/Ice Punch Electabuzz was never more than a novelty and still not as good as Jolteon and Zapdos, the only really playable Electric types.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WrightOfWay posted:

You could teach Electabuzz Fire Punch in Gen 2 and then trade it back to Gen 1, but that's a lot of work for a pokemon that still isn't very good.

The first time I beat the elite four and rival in RBY as a kid my team included an Onix and a Butterfree I'd used my Psychic TM on. You can get by just fine with pretty much anything in RBY outside Stadium and competitive stuff.

Magneton was always my favorite electric anyway, but fair's fair I never used it for anything but thunder wave and thunderbolt.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, yeah, I might just mulligan the next one and make an 'Eon team soon here, so I can actually talk about all this in an update.

First I have to make an update out of the source footage of me beating Misty but y'know.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My favorite "What? Really?" from Gen 1 moves is that Charizard couldn't Fly in Red and Blue. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SonicRulez posted:

My favorite "What? Really?" from Gen 1 moves is that Charizard couldn't Fly in Red and Blue. It doesn't make any sense to me.

He should also be able to do
Flash, but you don't want more than half of your starter's moveset to be undeleteable HM moves

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

The Door Frame posted:

but you don't want more than half of your starter's moveset to be undeleteable HM moves

I probably could've used that advice in Gen 2. I thought a moveset of Waterfall/Surf/Whirlpool/Strength for an overleveled Feraligatr was a good idea at the time.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

flarp22 posted:

I probably could've used that advice in Gen 2. I thought a moveset of Waterfall/Surf/Whirlpool/Strength for an overleveled Feraligatr was a good idea at the time.

Same here, but with Cut instead of Strength.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

flarp22 posted:

In fairness, Surf is great and Strength is an adequate Normal attack, so that’s a viable move set for the storyline even though the other two are basically useless. You could do much worse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I always just had a Clefairy or something that I never used in battle but taught the useless HMs to.

Fly is also a perfectly usable attack in RBY where AI trainers are too stupid to switch to a type advantage during the warmup turn

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 6, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

AI trainers are too stupid to switch to a type advantage during the warmup turn
This is deliberately still true for most npcs if memory serves.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

This is deliberately still true for most npcs if memory serves.

Serves correctly, I think even in the battle <thing> NPC will not always switch during a two turn attack.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Jolteon was actually super good back then! Partially because he was the best electric type not named Zapdos, but also because he was the best user of Pin Missile. Which is quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever said about Gen 1, but there you go.

"Back then?" Excuse you, I still use a Jolteon in my main competitive team today. Are there better electric types? Sure. You try telling that to my boy Tesla Coil's face. He is a good dog.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silver Falcon posted:

"Back then?" Excuse you, I still use a Jolteon in my main competitive team today. Are there better electric types? Sure. You try telling that to my boy Tesla Coil's face. He is a good dog.

Dog? The eveelutions are clearly rabbit-foxes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bruceski posted:

Foxes are canines, brosef.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Leech life getting super buffed in sun/moon is probably because it's called "blood suck" in Japanese and is basically a signature move for Buzzwole. I mean I don't know why they didn't just make a NEW more powerful physical draining big move (like, super blood suck) but I'm not complaining I guess.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kind of a pity that despite being super buffed there isn't much that can use it since most of the Pokemon that learn it are either the fast and frail type or special attackers.,

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll be trying to hammer out an update tonight or tomorrow. Shadowrun Hong Kong has sucked me back in, hence the delays.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Eveelutions are cats. Espeon's even a Nekomata.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

all pokemon are good dogs

some professor named after a tree said so

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What if the tree is actually named after the professor? Makes you think.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Eevees are just kind of, well, eevees

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There should be a Professor Sudowoodo that turns out to be three meowths in a trenchcoat

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dr Pepper posted:

Kind of a pity that despite being super buffed there isn't much that can use it since most of the Pokemon that learn it are either the fast and frail type or special attackers.,

Araquanid uses it for the very few instances you don't want to just use Liquidation :colbert:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

chiasaur11 posted:

I think Iwata programmed the combat system in that one without access to the raw data from Gamefreak in a week.

So, that's kind of neat.

What's really neat is that that's not even Iwata's greatest feat of programming. Hell, it's not even his greatest feat of programming connected to the Pokemon franchise. He designed the compression algorithm that allowed Gen II to not only be vastly larger than Gen I (a game so large that it took up the entire cartridge without room for any form of sanity check in the programming, which is why all those wonderful bugs are possible), but to then cram most of Kanto into the remaining space. To this day, nobody knows how he did it (or if they do, they're not telling). He also rewrote Earthbound's code from the ground up, implemented parallax scrolling on the NES, and served as a one-man bugfix team on SSB Melee to ensure it made its launch date.

And that's not counting his normal work, producing or programming for a massive swath of Nintendo's library throughout the eighties and nineties. It's a shame it took until he was appointed president for the world at large to notice him, he'd been one of the company's greatest assets for years.

Back to more pertinent matters, am I the only person who just put the Stadium games down and stopped playing them once it was obvious they were way too hard and designed to be frustrating?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Silver Falcon posted:

um excuse me but eevees are obviously cats because otherwise my gimmick team is stuck at five members without doubling up on a type

My current (:haw:) electric coverage in my Black 2 playthroughs (I don't have anything newer, and haven't heard enough about what's coming to Switch to have any hype) is Galvantula and Eelektross, but Luxray is the best electric catdog.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

What's really neat is that that's not even Iwata's greatest feat of programming. Hell, it's not even his greatest feat of programming connected to the Pokemon franchise. He designed the compression algorithm that allowed Gen II to not only be vastly larger than Gen I (a game so large that it took up the entire cartridge without room for any form of sanity check in the programming, which is why all those wonderful bugs are possible), but to then cram most of Kanto into the remaining space. To this day, nobody knows how he did it (or if they do, they're not telling). He also rewrote Earthbound's code from the ground up, implemented parallax scrolling on the NES, and served as a one-man bugfix team on SSB Melee to ensure it made its launch date.

And that's not counting his normal work, producing or programming for a massive swath of Nintendo's library throughout the eighties and nineties. It's a shame it took until he was appointed president for the world at large to notice him, he'd been one of the company's greatest assets for years.
It honestly took until after he was dead, when everyone came forward with their iwata stories. Like some of these were around for a while, but they didn't really take notice of just how big a deal he actually was.

quote:

Back to more pertinent matters, am I the only person who just put the Stadium games down and stopped playing them once it was obvious they were way too hard and designed to be frustrating?

There's a reason the only thing people seem to care about in these games are the minigames and maybe gym leader castle

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

But drat are those mini-games fun.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Hello! Welcome to the world of Pokemon!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ephraim225 posted:

Hello! Welcome to the world of Pokemon!

I'm not sure what you mean, every other Pokemon game is both good and with rare exceptions somewhat on the easy side once one has a little experience. The Stadium games are easily the worst-designed Pokemon games that utilize the main games' core mechanics (the only worse spin-offs are from those weird side series that don't involve normal Pokemon battles, or borderline-shovelware like Pokemon Channel).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

rannum posted:

There's a reason the only thing people seem to care about in these games are the minigames and maybe gym leader castle

Dont forget the game boy tower. This game came out at a time when emulation wasn't big yet, so being able to play pokemon on the big screen, with speed up buttons no less, was a big deal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, every other Pokemon game is both good and with rare exceptions somewhat on the easy side once one has a little experience. The Stadium games are easily the worst-designed Pokemon games that utilize the main games' core mechanics (the only worse spin-offs are from those weird side series that don't involve normal Pokemon battles, or borderline-shovelware like Pokemon Channel).

Nah, I disagree. Stadium is definitely meant to make you buy the normal games if you want to clear it, but it's pretty competently done as a high-level challenge. It has its share of unfair stuff, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as "bullshit hard" as, say, most Battle Frontier facilities, and the minigames alone put it far above its successor Pokemon Battle Revolution, not to mention having an actual rental system instead of PBR's heavily limited mess.

It's also far better than the F2P poo poo Pokemon has pushed out for a while now simply because it isn't F2P.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nah, I disagree. Stadium is definitely meant to make you buy the normal games if you want to clear it, but it's pretty competently done as a high-level challenge. It has its share of unfair stuff, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as "bullshit hard" as, say, most Battle Frontier facilities, and the minigames alone put it far above its successor Pokemon Battle Revolution, not to mention having an actual rental system instead of PBR's heavily limited mess.

It's also far better than the F2P poo poo Pokemon has pushed out for a while now simply because it isn't F2P.

Admittedly, I was about ten when I played Pokemon Stadium, so I might be biased.

Also, Pokemon Go got people to actually go outside and walk around in droves, that alone marks it as a greater force for good in the world than like 90% of all video games. :colbert:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Nobody has gotten mugged because of pokemon stadium, making it a better game than go

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Beating Stadium with rentals was definitely not intended to be possible, especially not Round 2. So in that sense, it's worse than free-to-play, it's fee-to-pay. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, I wouldn't be playing it otherwise, but it is absolutely a $60 advertisement/preview for the mainline games with some bells and whistles.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EclecticTastes posted:

Admittedly, I was about ten when I played Pokemon Stadium, so I might be biased.

Also, Pokemon Go got people to actually go outside and walk around in droves, that alone marks it as a greater force for good in the world than like 90% of all video games. :colbert:
Admittedly I haven't looked up any statistics, but I'm pretty sure that Pokemon Stadium has caused fewer car accidents.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Admittedly I haven't looked up any statistics, but I'm pretty sure that Pokemon Stadium has caused fewer car accidents.

Video games don't cause car accidents or muggings, we covered all this back when Jack Thompson was still a thing. People being lovely and/or irresponsible is their own fault. Why do I even need to say this?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Beating Stadium with rentals was definitely not intended to be possible, especially not Round 2. So in that sense, it's worse than free-to-play, it's fee-to-pay. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, I wouldn't be playing it otherwise, but it is absolutely a $60 advertisement/preview for the mainline games with some bells and whistles.

Hey come to think of it didn't this originally come with the Transfer Pak needed in the first place? If so I think Stadium was more intended for people who already owned the games. Love Pokemon? Love battling? Own an N64? If yes, yes, and yes, buy this thing!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Hey come to think of it didn't this originally come with the Transfer Pak needed in the first place? If so I think Stadium was more intended for people who already owned the games. Love Pokemon? Love battling? Own an N64? If yes, yes, and yes, buy this thing!

This is completely true. Pokemon was such a massive phenomenon that Nintendo made not one, but two games that relied pretty much entirely on other games having a massive enough installed user base to sell copies. Pokemon Stadium is, to my knowledge, the only game ever to attempt that strategy and have it pay off, because that's just how big Pokemon was between Gen I and II. Pokemon is still ubiquitous, but something like Stadium wouldn't work again, as evidenced by Battle Revolution being a conclusive failure (Colosseum wisely included story modes that functioned as miniature versions of mainline games, so the player didn't need any other games to make their own team, variety notwithstanding).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

This is completely true. Pokemon was such a massive phenomenon that Nintendo made not one, but two games that relied pretty much entirely on other games having a massive enough installed user base to sell copies. Pokemon Stadium is, to my knowledge, the only game ever to attempt that strategy and have it pay off, because that's just how big Pokemon was between Gen I and II. Pokemon is still ubiquitous, but something like Stadium wouldn't work again, as evidenced by Battle Revolution being a conclusive failure (Colosseum wisely included story modes that functioned as miniature versions of mainline games, so the player didn't need any other games to make their own team, variety notwithstanding).

Battle Revolution's final release being considerably stripped down compared to what had been demoed sure as hell didn't help either.