Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Battle Revolution was so barren that if it came out a decade later, I'd have assumed all the missing features were going to be DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I never played Battle Revolution, and only really heard about it a few months after it's release. Can any explain what was missing from the demo vs live version, and why the live version was terrible?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain Fargle posted:

Battle Revolution's final release being considerably stripped down compared to what had been demoed sure as hell didn't help either.

Huh, I didn't know it was meant to be a better game. Can you explain what was removed?

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I never played Battle Revolution, and only really heard about it a few months after it's release. Can any explain what was missing from the demo vs live version, and why the live version was terrible?

The full version is basically only the cups of this game plus a multiplayer match mode if you want to see your DPPt Pokemon in 3D. There's nothing else - no minigames, no other battle modes, nothing. The Rentals system is heavily limited too, you can only use preselected teams of Pokemon instead of selecting from trash. It 100% expects you to have your own Gen 4 game because it sure as hell won't give you anything to do if you don't. Even if you do, it's repetitive as poo poo.

The only use for it is the Pokemon you can transfer to the Gen 4 games, like a Surfing Pikachu. Oh, and having the very first custom trainer system, which wouldn't be a full thing for the series until XY.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

EclecticTastes posted:

Video games don't cause car accidents or muggings, we covered all this back when Jack Thompson was still a thing. People being lovely and/or irresponsible is their own fault. Why do I even need to say this?

"people being lovely" is the absolute reason as to why people got mugged, but the video game who's playerbase is largely children and infirm video game players that deliberately encourages people to go to set parts of their city based on something as arbitrary as wi-fi signals in the middle of the night and which has an endorphin generating feedback loop of "hey new pokemon" to help them lose track of how that's maybe not the greatest idea is what gave the lovely people the opportunity in the first place. you can want a hippo to not eat you and expect that it shouldn't, but you can only blame it so much if you deliberately put your head in its mouth

but none of this has anything specifically to do with the game. re: rentals being too weak to play the single player, you're ignoring that stadium was a pretty fun multiplayer game largely because the rentals were largely kind of weak. having everything at a baseline like this means you can have fun just picking random teams with your friends instead of the "mewtwo vs mewtwo" and "my guy just has way more numbers than you so you lose" stuff that playing the handheld games could degenerate into, but maybe I'm just remembering the sequel more where rentals were somehow different.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's probably worth noting that compared with the "demo" version the thing lost out wasn't really content related. The initial showing of the game was a short clip of Deoxys & Wailord vs Pikachu & Groudon. The models were all redone, the lighting was a little better, pokemon attacked each other by actually going up to their opponent and the big display was permanent damage being done to the arena by huge attacks like Hyper Beam that would leave a dent in the stadium and knock over physics boxes in the background.
The final game absolutely didn't update all the models, though. And while there was more "up front" attacking, it was generally not as physical in the showing with a few exceptions. Instead they tended to (slowly) run up to the opponent, the camera would change positions to show the pokemon attacking the camera, then the attack happens. And battle damage wasn't permanent...which is fair, honestly, because this was the Wii and the arenas would be destroyed constantly and need to stack or overwrite weirdly; no physics objects though.

There was supposedly going to be an actual story mode, but that was an ancient translation of corocoro that might have just been referring to the mode we have (you're a dude who came to poketopia to win all the colosseums).

PBR's rental system is actually kind of interesting because after you beat the game the designated Rental colosseum changes to a rental trade colosseum. As you continue to go through it you can swap out some one on your team and the pokemon get better and better and I think you could use them in other colosseums and online.

May as well mention the online was apparently pretty solid and included things the main games didnt like special clauses. Also seemed a bit more stable than the DS.

Regardless it feels absolutely like a rush job. It came out a few months after diamond & pearl in japan and a mere 2 weeks after the Wii launched. Easy to see they had a pretty distinct deadline.

Did You Know? The international releases, presumably since they had about a year to bring it over while waiting on DP's international releases did try to spruce some things up. Several models got overhauls to not just LITERALLY be the n64 models (instead they were SLIGHTLY BETTER N64 models!), they added skin color options to the trainers (everyone in the game was just white originally), and changed an assortment of trainers to use those skin colors
here's one of the special Colosseum Masters, for example

I'm also pretty sure they had a special tournament-specific version of the game! I remember watching some old off-screen footage and seeing the platinum outfit for the male trainer and using the special rotom, but had no luck finding it so maybe it was all a dream....

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
In my college gaming club, we used PBR for a lot of our Gen 4 tournaments since it gave the people not playing something to watch. We had to stop after one infamous tournament where someone missed with Earthquake several times in a row. When there was nothing in play that reduced accuracy or raised evasiveness.

In PBR, every move, regardless of whether it has 100% accuracy, always has a chance to miss. PBR is bad.
e.: I'm misremembering an incident involving Bright Powder. Nevermind.

But the game did give access to an Electivire with Cross Chop, which was pretty sweet at the time.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 14, 2018

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

In my college gaming club, we used PBR for a lot of our Gen 4 tournaments since it gave the people not playing something to watch. We had to stop after one infamous tournament where someone missed with Earthquake several times in a row. When there was nothing in play that reduced accuracy or raised evasiveness.

In PBR, every move, regardless of whether it has 100% accuracy, always has a chance to miss. PBR is bad.

But the game did give access to an Electivire with Cross Chop, which was pretty sweet at the time.

Seriously? Did anyone have Bright Powder or something? PBR does appear to have bugs in it but that's not one of the ones I can find info on online.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Attention everyone: Nobody cares about your opinions on whether Pokemon Go is good and cool or an evil Satan virus.

PBR talk is good, though.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Battle Revolution is not bad, I enjoyed it a lot because after beating "Round 1" it basically became a Battle Frontier before Platinum was released. They give you Surfing Pikachu, Electivire and Magmortar, it introduced trainer customization and I love that you can get custom titles and catchphrases depending on the team you put in your trainer pass like three of the same pokemon or that share the same type. It could be better but I enjoyed it, even the roulettes where I had ten rounds without healing or get my own pokemon used against me.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Ephraim225 posted:

Seriously? Did anyone have Bright Powder or something? PBR does appear to have bugs in it but that's not one of the ones I can find info on online.

I double checked with a friend who was in the match I mentioned. Turns out he was using Bright Powder and there was just a huge stroke of bad luck on his opponent's part. My mistake. :v:

We definitely shied away from PBR after a while but I guess that was just due to dwindling numbers. Kind of a shame as I really liked the announcer.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MelvinBison posted:

I double checked with a friend who was in the match I mentioned. Turns out he was using Bright Powder and there was just a huge stroke of bad luck on his opponent's part. My mistake. :v:

We definitely shied away from PBR after a while but I guess that was just due to dwindling numbers. Kind of a shame as I really liked the announcer.

I prefer the stadium announcer, but they both really add to the experience.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PMush Perfect posted:

Another fun little bit of Gen 1 trivia that wouldn't fit into an update: There's a few different ways to deliberately softlock yourself that you would pretty much never do accidentally, but there's two points that someone could feasibly do on accident. If you're a very thorough battler but also an impulse buyer who immediately spends all your money, you can end up being unable to afford either a drink to get into Saffron, or the 500P needed to get into the Safari Zone. In Blue, you can escape this by either catching or battling Meowth with Payday until you have enough, but since it's exclusive to Blue, it's a soft lock in Red or Yellow without a trade.

Both of these were fixed in the remakes as Saffron now requires a key item (to prevent sequence breaking by trading a Pokemon holding a drink), and the Safari Zone guard letting you in if you're broke and beg him enough times. He'll give you full time, but only a single Safari Ball, so you can get the Surf and Strength HMs without exploiting it for infinite free Safari Zone uses.

It's me. I was the kid who never finished Red because of this.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
There's apparently tons of unlikely things you can do to softlock yourself to varying degrees of inescapability. A guy called Pikasprey Yellow has a whole series of videos on them. Also, because he's insane, he's done a run where he beat the entirety of Pokemon Red with only a single Ditto and non-battling HM slaves. In the process he discovered a never-before-seen bug (just this year!) that made Ditto permanently incapable of using the move Struggle when not transformed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like his videos. Fact-checked myself on a couple of them.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I watched those. They inspired me to make a ROM hack based on escaping hopeless situations.

On his other channel he's doing crappy ROM hack playthroughs. I forgot how bad it could get with some of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Minor real life update: There has been a lot of stuff happening right now, most good but some bad. I've got a lot of plates spinning, I just don't have the energy to sit down and cut screenshots from a video and type out an update, even (especially?) with the footage already recorded weeks ago. I'll try to hammer out a small Weird Pokemon Mechanics update or something soon, but the next major updates won't be for a while yet.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Any progress?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really need to just sit down and make myself put together the update, I'm caught in that loop of shame that won't go away until either I make an update or abandon the LP. This weekend isn't a good time for it, though, except maybe Monday evening.

Bug me about it on Discord.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

PMush Perfect posted:

make an update

PMush Perfect posted:

abandon the LP

The first. Pick the first one.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

can we bug you here? Or there's always PMs for platinum users :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
PMush eat the eggs

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The secret is writing the first bit of the update. Then the shame of abandoning that work is greater than the shame of putting off the update more or cancelling the LP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush, please. If we don't have this, we'll have to accept that the only Pokemon that exists is super-edgy terrible fangame Reborn, or a weird attempt to combine Stadium with basic Pokemon gameplay that ultimately derived in the terrible Battle Revolution. You have to keep this up to make us remember the good times of the franchise, where you had so many fun minigames and tournament modes!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

PMush, please. If we don't have this, we'll have to accept that the only Pokemon that exists is super-edgy terrible fangame Reborn, or a weird attempt to combine Stadium with basic Pokemon gameplay that ultimately derived in the terrible Battle Revolution. You have to keep this up to make us remember the good times of the franchise, where you had so many fun minigames and tournament modes!

You're not wrong but there's also a blind FireRed going.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Keep going, no one cares how long it takes to get an LP update. Didn't that ten year LP of the strategy game finish recently? You can do it!!! Time is meaningless

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Bug me about it on Discord.

Not doing this since you left the Mafia Discord, but hopefully the cheerful +1s from this thread are good enough.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
I wish people who abandoned their LPs would die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Virtue's Last Reward got a finished LP after all these years, you can do it!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AweStriker posted:

You're not wrong but there's also a blind FireRed going.

Shh, it was hard enough to make XD sound bad :ssh:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Velisarius posted:

I wish people who abandoned their LPs would die.

We will eventually! All will die, this universe is an endless slide towards null energy and any accomplishment is ultimately futile. :geno:

But here and now, there's virtual cockfights to document. :wooper:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shh, it was hard enough to make XD sound bad :ssh:

It's not too hard, we're getting to the worst parts!

You can do the LP, believe in the thread that believes in you!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright, alright. In the mean time, have a microupdate!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokestop 01 - Critical Hits

I touched on it a bit in Route 03, but why don't we talk for just a minute about how critical hits work in Generation 1? In every further generation, criticals have a flat 1/16 chance, before factoring in moves like Slash and Focus Energy, and deal 2x damage. (This changed again in Generation 6, but that's neither here nor there.)

In Generation 1, however, the critical hit ratio is based on the Pokemon's Base Speed, with the damage multiplier based on the Pokemon's level. The percent chance of a critical hit is (roughly) (X*100)/512, where X is the Pokemon's Base Speed, rounded down to the nearest multiple of 4. Don't worry about calculating that out, the obsessive kind people at Smogon have done it for you.

Focus Energy was intended to multiply this chance by 4, but due to one of RBY's many bugs, it instead divides the chance by four. That makes sense, putting a / instead of a * is far from unheard of. What's more surprising is that somehow, Focus Energy also makes it impossible to land a critical on anything faster than you. Thankfully, in Stadium, this was fixed, and Focus Energy correctly multiplies your critical hit chance by... 6.2?

Okay, sure.

High critical hit moves (Slash, Crabhammer, Razor Leaf, and Karate Chop) properly multiple this chance, not by two or three as in later generations, but by eight. Bruno's stupid Karate Chopping Machamp that seems to always critical? For once, that's not just confirmation bias, that is the move literally having an 82% critical hit chance.

So, what are some of the consequences of this? Venusaur will always critical with Razor Leaf, Kingler will always critical with Crabhammer, and Sandslash or anything faster will always critical with Slash. (This was actually used to give Persian something of a niche in competitive, though given Persian's frailty, it was rarely more than a gimmick.)

And rather than simply doubling the damage, it instead multiplied the damage by (2L+5)/(L+5), where L is the Pokemon's level. This means that for most Pokemon, the multiplier past level 20 is somewhere around 1.85, capping out at x1.95 at level 95. No, I don't know why it was made this needlessly complicated in a game that needed cart space so badly that it stored encounter data in the same place as your name.

TL;DR: Generation 1 is weird, y'all.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 1, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
:allears: I love that Gen 1 is held together by silly string and fervent prayer.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If I recall correctly, Pokemon Stadium's battle mechanics were programmed by Satoru Iwata who had to read the Red/Green code to figure out how things worked because they didn't write documentation on it.

I suspect a lot of bug fixes and other msic changes are because of that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rannum posted:

If I recall correctly, Pokemon Stadium's battle mechanics were programmed by Satoru Iwata who had to read the Red/Green code to figure out how things worked because they didn't write documentation on it.

I suspect a lot of bug fixes and other msic changes are because of that
I've also heard apocryphal tales that he had to reverse engineer it from memory.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Gen 1 is the gift that keeps on giving. The fact that the games work as well as they do is a miracle. So many of these bizarre bugs and coding decisions exist just far enough under the surface that I had no idea they existed as an 8 year old, but as an adult all it takes is peeling back the thinnest layer to start finding bugs.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Gen 1 is the gift that keeps on giving. The fact that the games work as well as they do is a miracle. So many of these bizarre bugs and coding decisions exist just far enough under the surface that I had no idea they existed as an 8 year old, but as an adult all it takes is peeling back the thinnest layer to start finding bugs.

I think development on the game took forever and I can't imagine trying to fit their ideas onto a gameboy cartridge helped matters, so in that sense them getting the game to a playable state at all probably takes more credit than we give

Now if only they had been able to put Iwata on it.....

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Old game bugs are fun. Link's Awakening map skip (bring up the map during a screen transition, you move an extra screen over) making enemy sprites a weird jumble of other sprites or gibberish? That is the game screaming because it doesn't know what you just did and now it's trying to walk through a house in the dark when somebody's moved the furniture. The only reason the game still runs after doing that is because they didn't have room to code in a failure state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What are you all talking about bugs for? Half the fun of gen one is that aside from the focus energy stuff, everything in that post was by design.