Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Technician...? :shrug:
:ssh: Abilities weren't a thing until Gen 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

rannum posted:

it certainly gives these gens some...ah..."charm" when you see how weird the movesets were, i suppose

Flareon is an attack-based eveelution. Until gen 4 all fire attacks were special. The poor little fire bunny wasn't alone in this handicap, but even after the split its physical attacks (bite and fire fang) weren't gained until 29 and *43* respectively and the TM options weren't much better. It wasn't until BW2 that those got bumped down to the much more reasonable mid-teens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Haifisch posted:

:ssh: Abilities weren't a thing until Gen 3.
I know, I'm just saying, the buff to 75 BP actually hurt it because then it was too strong for Technician.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Noted for future reference!

Cythereal posted:

Is this on youtube somewhere? That's a legitimately impressive feat.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121676798

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I know, I'm just saying, the buff to 75 BP actually hurt it because then it was too strong for Technician.

Even in Sun and Moon there are only two fully evolved special attackers with Technician and of those only Roserade gets (and would like to use) Giga Drain. Way more pokemon appreciate having a decently powerful grass move with a useful secondary effect than would have preferred Giga Drain remained 60 power.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Is this on youtube somewhere? That's a legitimately impressive feat.

This is it, I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9QeoM4eE0

I know I could never keep that up for 20 hours. I already get tired after losing an hour to a single cup.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

DUGSTER

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

alternatively, if you don't want to watch 20 hours, you can watch the TAS version instead as it only takes a little over an hour to humiliate all of the gym leaders :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrM4vcRfNo

also you could make a very scary drinking game with how many times the announcer uses the word "go"

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
It's even more impractical to do than speedrunning from a fresh file to Mewtwo round 2, but I did always wonder what the fastest route would be to both do that and get all Pokes into the Hall of Fame along the way. I forget how many cups you'd have to redo. I suppose you can get 30 unique pokes into the Hall of fame per Round? (24 from the 4 cups and 8 from gym leader castle?) Then I guess you'd get the remaining 91 in from grinding the elite 4 in Round1?
Now that I've thought about it, never mind that idea is terrible unless I'm missing something.

I notice during Brocks fight his name is pink. Does that mean one of his pokes is technically illegal too?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, when Twineedle has the highest base power of all Bug Moves at a whopping 25 there's a problem. It's amazing it took until Gen 4 for Bug to something as simple as Bug Bite, IE a common and decently strong Bug attack.

Of course Bug isn't alone in that respect, Gen 4 was a really good generation for a lot of different types because it finally gave just about every type an entry level move that was worth a drat even without STAB boosts.

And then Gen 7 happened
Leech life's base power in generations 1-6: 20
Leech life's base power in Generation 7: 80.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kurieg posted:

And then Gen 7 happened
Leech life's base power in generations 1-6: 20
Leech life's base power in Generation 7: 80.
Did they cut back on Zubat spam? Because that just sounds miserable to deal with 80 Power self-healing every 8 steps or whatever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MagusofStars posted:

Did they cut back on Zubat spam? Because that just sounds miserable to deal with 80 Power self-healing every 8 steps or whatever.

Pretty much everything that learned Leech Seed learns Absorb at that level instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MagusofStars posted:

They either removed it from most pokemon's learnpools, or moved it's learn level up to 30+

Then made it a TM for the player that's available at around~28.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kurieg posted:

They either removed it from most pokemon's learnpools, or moved it's learn level up to 30+

Then made it a TM for the player that's available at around~28.

I was pretty confused when I saw that TM and that Mimikyu Alolan Pikachu learns it. Then I saw it got buffed to all getout and immediately rubbed I all over it's faces.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aces High posted:

alternatively, if you don't want to watch 20 hours, you can watch the TAS version instead as it only takes a little over an hour to humiliate all of the gym leaders :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrM4vcRfNo

also you could make a very scary drinking game with how many times the announcer uses the word "go"

That Diglett is amazing.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Aces High posted:

a mighty blow on the word go
taken down on the word go!
this is a wild one from the word go

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ephraim225 posted:

This is it, I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9QeoM4eE0

I know I could never keep that up for 20 hours. I already get tired after losing an hour to a single cup.

Neat, something to have on in the background while I work on stuff for the next week or so.

The talk about old-style crit rules does make me nostalgic for RBY as a kid, though. The powerhouse of my first successful team as a kid was Persian. It doesn't sound like much now, but back then STAB slashes on a critter with respectable attack that combined with slash's natural crit bonus and Persian's terrific speed made it crit like a maniac and do significant amounts of damage. Bit of a one-trick pony, as even back then Persian had little else to its name, but it was a very good trick for good and consistent damage output.

GSC gutted poor Persian and I never looked back.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You could also open with Payday if you wanted to be a greedy little goof.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PMush Perfect posted:

You could also open with Payday if you wanted to be a greedy little goof.

I had that for grinding money off wild critters, yeah, but Persian with slash was a fine damage machine with only two types it wasn't good against, neither of them common and both easily countered by other teammates. Persian's what I beat Lance with, since idiot kid me gave ice beam to something that didn't have STAB and a mediocre special stat. Coincidentally, I wasted the psychic TM the same way.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

When Yellow was released on the 3ds, I played through again and lucked in to catching a Scyther in the Safari Zone. That was probably the easiest battle with Sabrina I've ever had.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

When Yellow was released on the 3ds, I played through again and lucked in to catching a Scyther in the Safari Zone. That was probably the easiest battle with Sabrina I've ever had.

It's Yellow Sabrina and you needed Scyther to make it easy?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Ephraim225 posted:

Hey man level 50 Alakazam is no joke when you're 6.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
50? That's Elite 4 level from the original games. What, did they get their level boosted too? I never owned Yellow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam, all level 50. Both Kadabra and Alakazam have Recover and Psychic, and Alakazam has Reflect, too.

She's no joke.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PMush Perfect posted:

Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam, all level 50. Both Kadabra and Alakazam have Recover and Psychic, and Alakazam has Reflect, too.

She's no joke.

Now where'd I put my snorlax with earthquake...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PMush Perfect posted:

She's no joke.

I don't remember Yellow being hard mode, that sounds like it would be her team in Gold and Silver

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't understand why Koga and Sabrina are 10 levels higher than Erika, then Blaine is only 4 levels higher than them, they seem to just make up poo poo towards the end of that game, since Koga doesn't have a Golbat, even though the anime was at that point during development, so it can't be excused like Blaine not having Magmar.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Given that Abra's a gimmee, Sabrina functionally only has two Pokemon. The fear would just be Alakazam soloing your team at that point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not implausible!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PMush Perfect posted:

Not implausible!

Yellow was heavily based on the anime, and Sabrina is one of the gym leaders Ash flat out didn't beat. :v:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Will the original, Japan-only Pokémon Stadium be discussed? It was an incredibly limited game, with only 42 Pokémon actually playable. The Pokémon eligible were based off which ones were popular in official tournaments, which cracks me up. Gen 1 was so rough and poorly realized that making the entire game revolve around competitive play seems ridiculous.

This version has so much more to offer that it's not even funny. By including all Pokémon, including unevolved Pokémon and adding minigames, they gave it a lot more meat.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 5, 2018

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Ephraim225 posted:

At this point, probably not, I meant more that Scyther made it easier. As a kid, I had no idea how these games worked under the trunk, especially since the anime flat out lies to you about Ghosts being effective against her. Lousy GBC programming held together with chewing gum and prayer. Getting Scyther and running her Alakazam over was more like catharsis at that point. My original plan was Dodrio and Dugtrio for similar speed related shenanigans.

I wish, as a kid, I knew half the stuff about Gen 1 that I do now. It is a miracle those little cartridges worked as well as they did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mizuti posted:

Will the original, Japan-only Pokémon Stadium be discussed? It was an incredibly limited game, with only 42 Pokémon actually playable. The Pokémon eligible were based off which ones were popular in official tournaments, which cracks me up. Gen 1 was so rough and poorly realized that making the entire game revolve around competitive play seems ridiculous.

This version has so much more to offer that it's not even funny. By including all Pokémon, including unevolved Pokémon and adding minigames, they gave it a lot more meat.
That is pretty much everything about Pocket Monsters Stadium worth discussing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

At this point, probably not, I meant more that Scyther made it easier. As a kid, I had no idea how these games worked under the trunk, especially since the anime flat out lies to you about Ghosts being effective against her. Lousy GBC programming held together with chewing gum and prayer. Getting Scyther and running her Alakazam over was more like catharsis at that point. My original plan was Dodrio and Dugtrio for similar speed related shenanigans.

I wish, as a kid, I knew half the stuff about Gen 1 that I do now. It is a miracle those little cartridges worked as well as they did.

Yeah for real. I did something similar with Blue version on 3DS. I put together Team Break the Game:

Venusaur for Leech Seed and Toxic stacking
Persian for ALL THE CRITS
Slowbro with Amnesia because ahahahaa
Tauros for Hyper Beam and general awesomeness
Jolteon because gently caress you I like Jolteon. Also crits for days
Dragonite with Thunderwave and Wrap

And of course I abused the MissingNo glitch to get infinite TMs.

I beat the Elite Four somewhere around high 30s. Lowest level I have ever beaten the game with. I just steam rolled 'em. I wish I had some way to connect that with Pokemon Stadium because I would love to stomp all over the Gym Leader Castle and such with that crew.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

That is pretty much everything about Pocket Monsters Stadium worth discussing.

I think Iwata programmed the combat system in that one without access to the raw data from Gamefreak in a week.

So, that's kind of neat.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Jolteon because gently caress you I like Jolteon. Also crits for days

Jolteon was actually super good back then! Partially because he was the best electric type not named Zapdos, but also because he was the best user of Pin Missile. Which is quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever said about Gen 1, but there you go.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Jolteon was actually super good back then! Partially because he was the best electric type not named Zapdos, but also because he was the best user of Pin Missile. Which is quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever said about Gen 1, but there you go.

Ahem, Electabuzz with fire punch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Electabuzz was great in Crystal, because you could hatch one from the Odd Egg you get and then buy Fire Punch and/or Ice Punch from the Goldenrod Department Store.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Ahem, Electabuzz with fire punch.

Electabuzz couldn't learn Fire Punch back in Gen 1, because Gen 1 was allergic to good move sets unless you were a Psychic or Normal type. Fire Punch was made a TM in Gen 2, and Elekid was available early in Crystal if you were lucky. In which case, hell yeah Punch Tiger! Throw Ice Punch on too, because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Electabuzz couldn't learn Fire Punch back in Gen 1, because Gen 1 was allergic to good move sets unless you were a Psychic or Normal type. Fire Punch was made a TM in Gen 2, and Elekid was available early in Crystal if you were lucky. In which case, hell yeah Punch Tiger! Throw Ice Punch on too, because why not?

Ah, my memory was playing tricks on me then. I thought fire punch was made available in yellow.