Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pin Missile was good on Jolteon because every grass type worth using was 4x weak to it and would otherwise wall Jolteon. You still don't use it against psychic types that aren't Exeggutor because Thunderbolt does more damage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Starmie also has the advantage of being a psychic type, which for a long time in Pokemon was the best type in the game. It's also one of those rare really good critters that has two distinct and effective sets, the special sweeper we saw here, and confuse ray/thunder wave/recover/one of psychic, thunderbolt, surf, or ice beam.

Great stats, terrific (if very TM-dependent for single player) movepool, and very readily available. Once you get the Good Rod, fish up a staryu at Fuschia, slap it with a water stone, and you're off to the races.

Starmie's Psychic typing has been more of a detriment than a boon since gen 2, really. Being frail and weak to pursuit is not a great combination. Being the only good offensive pokemon with Rapid Spin was the main thing that kept Starmie relevant in later generations and as each generation added more walls that Starmie can't break through and more hazard setters that Starmie can't beat it was ultimately a victim of power creep.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bricoleur posted:

I played this game once, and I don't remember what pokemon I was using but it had Swift and I swear I once had Swift miss on me. I know Swift is supposed to be a 100% accurate move, but I suspect it just has a base accuracy of 99.5% in Gen 1 or something with an inability of its accuracy to be lowered and Pokemon Stadium's RNG decided to gently caress with me.

There's no way I can confirm this unless someone can glean that from the source code or somebody has the patience to roll the dice on a few thousand uses of Swift to see if one misses. But the game already felt brutal when it came to critical hits and 1HKO moves so Swift missing seemed right at home.

Swift literally doesn't have an accuracy check in Gen 1 so it will never, ever miss.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dig is as strong as Earthquake in Gen 1 and since I don't think the AI is smart enough to switch in an immunity/resistance it's a decent choice for Stadium. Especially if you aren't duplicating tms.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They probably also have low (or straight up 0) DVs (same thing as IVs in later games) on top of having no stat exp.

Edit: guess not

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I know, I'm just saying, the buff to 75 BP actually hurt it because then it was too strong for Technician.

Even in Sun and Moon there are only two fully evolved special attackers with Technician and of those only Roserade gets (and would like to use) Giga Drain. Way more pokemon appreciate having a decently powerful grass move with a useful secondary effect than would have preferred Giga Drain remained 60 power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Ah, my memory was playing tricks on me then. I thought fire punch was made available in yellow.

You could teach Electabuzz Fire Punch in Gen 2 and then trade it back to Gen 1, but that's a lot of work for a pokemon that still isn't very good.