Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Coming the week after Super Bowl LIII, it's the AAF! Featuring no teams north of the 35th parallel, the 8-team league offers:

-No TV timeouts
-The Schiano Rule for kickoffs
-Only coaches' challenges for reviews
-Steve Spurrier, Head Coach
-Probably other things

If we're going to have an XFL thread, we're probably obliged to have an AAF thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Spring football is what I need in life. Do we know where this is going to be televised?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Holy crap there's a San Diego team and Mike Martz is coach. I'm in on this poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Spring football is what I need in life. Do we know where this is going to be televised?

CBS and the CBS Sports Network.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is this what they settled on for kickoffs?

Wikipedia posted:

There will be no kickoffs; all possessions will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 10 yards.

The Harbaugh thing is cool, but only needing 10 yards seems a bit short. Wouldn't there be a ~40% success rate?

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
That's all well and good but what about the most important part, anthem policy?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

General Dog posted:

So is this what they settled on for kickoffs?

The Harbaugh thing is cool, but only needing 10 yards seems a bit short. Wouldn't there be a ~40% success rate?
Yeah but if you fail you give them the ball at your 25. Not a lot of teams are gonna do that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Yeah but if you fail you give them the ball at your 25. Not a lot of teams are gonna do that

35, isn't it?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yes. Basically you get the ball on 4th and 10 on your own 35.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I like that rule. Ten yards is not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination, especially when the defense knows exactly how far you have to get in one play. I think it'll keep teams doing it only in situations of great need, which is pretty much how you want it.

Unlike the XFL I will be hoping for this league to succeed, think about it this could be the last offseason where we don't get any football. I demand to be satiated at all times

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Play posted:

Unlike the XFL I will be hoping for this league to succeed, think about it this could be the last offseason where we don't get any football. I demand to be satiated at all times

Until the NFL lockout / strike.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rip in piss Major League Football or whatever that last one was that never went anywhere

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1021741791295332353

https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1017401274101166085
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24076702/alliance-american-football-players-get-3-year-250k-contracts

ESPN posted:

Less than eight months before the scheduled start of its new pro league, the Alliance of American Football has rolled out details about player allocation, a combine, a draft and salary expectations.

League co-founder Bill Polian, an ESPN NFL analyst, said the league will give players three-year, non-guaranteed contracts worth $250,000 each.

Players can leave the league, which is set to kick off Feb. 9, to go to the NFL. Polian said it's currently unclear whether a player's rights will revert back to the AAF after a three-year period expires or if the clock stops ticking on a team's three-year rights when a player gets "called up" to the big time.

Salaries will be in line with AAF competitor the XFL, which has said it will pay players an average of $75,000 per season. That league launches in 2020.

Polian said a contract will include state-of-the-industry health insurance and an education stipend to any player who completes a year in the league.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
That's a shitload better than the original XFL and probably equivalent to the CFL

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm pretty sure that "state-of-the-industry health insurance" really means no health insurance. They'll fix you if you can still play but afterwards you're screwed

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why are the endzone logos upside down?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

General Dog posted:

Why are the endzone logos upside down?

Maybe YOU'RE upside down!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Raku posted:

That's a shitload better than the original XFL and probably equivalent to the CFL

Good CFL guys get over 6 figs. They have 43 man rosters with 5-5.5 mil in salary cap

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Allocating players based on where they played in college is smart I think. it'll get people excited about their former favorite college players. It's like they thought this through at least a little bit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
San Diego has professional football again.

Introducing... The San Diego Fleet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ou0yx32QQY

https://aaf.com/introducing-the-san-diego-fleet/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Their logo looks a bit like the UFL's Virginia Destroyers.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Have to admit with all this roughing the passer stuff pissing people off the timing of this isnt bad.

Why no St. Louis franchise? :(

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

pasaluki posted:

Have to admit with all this roughing the passer stuff pissing people off the timing of this isnt bad.

Why no St. Louis franchise? :(

Above the 35th parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
...:(

• Locked thread