Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Wondering if I made a mistake with Merc. Finding it difficult to get XP groups and just not seeing many Mercs in general. I picked it because it’s what I ran back when the game came out, but am down to try something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

onesixtwo posted:

i saw someone posting in their discord on launch day with this identical issue, it ended up being a VPN issue for them i thought? or something equally as simple.

tons of pins in their tech support channel on discord i'd check through, also the basic: don't put the eden launcher in the daoc folder seemed to trip up a lot of folks so maybe double confirm that? if its asking you for a path that seems to line up

Thanks, I’ll check their discord.

Eden launcher is a separate path completely, and I’m not using a VPN. Hopefully I can get some advice in Discord.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

sevenflow posted:

Wondering if I made a mistake with Merc. Finding it difficult to get XP groups and just not seeing many Mercs in general. I picked it because it’s what I ran back when the game came out, but am down to try something else
If you're talking PvE xp group, you might have more luck picking up a shield and tanking.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Yep, have done that a bit. At this point I'm finding it difficult to just find a group at all but maybe I should mention I can tank, or reroll into something else.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I need to stop being lazy and actually level up some characters. Is the general route to do tutorial to 10, then bg quest / dungeon depending what group you get?

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Definitely feels like the first wave of leveling sub 40 is over, even my "group" characters have trouble finding something to join. I really, really wish they had just iterated on the Celestius formula instead of making Phoenix 2.0. Not even allowing a single box makes the leveling a total slog once the majority of people are out of range. Also can't log in your friends to keep them caught up.

DAOC stays winning though, just wishing I could engage with more of it.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Just do the regional quests, they're soloable and easy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You can get a horse mount from the Camelot quest at the stables. I soloed most of my 40s by doing the quests in any zone that was near my level.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
On ALB as Cutestick (friar), if anyones looking to do anything.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cool, I've been leveling a friar too. I've been leveling with a split specialization, and it has been versatile for all sorts of grouping while leveling.

I've been doing solo, small group tank, and full group healing without respeccing.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 3, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Going to level a Minstrel on Alb & probably Shaman on Mid, probably start playing tomorrow. Just installed & made some characters. If anybody wants the discord link some of us are in to organize let me know.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the addition of /distribute for raid loot is the best drat change ever. but some raid leaders keep trying to gimmick it by doing stuff like top 5 / 10 / 15 rolls get to pick then they /distribute which double dips the people who won rolls and gives less chance for anyone else to get loot.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
No surprise there. Good on the devs for trying but there's always guild/raid leaders looking to game the system in their favor.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Templating a thane with all these toa bonuses is impossible :lol:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ded posted:

Templating a thane with all these toa bonuses is impossible :lol:

Going through the same thing on my minstrel. Hard to decide whether to go full on DD damage or lean on melee. How are you planning your thane?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
caster heavier i'm thinking. the big zerg fights need that more. if things change can always make a new template

Zfire
Aug 28, 2004
Limebot
Thinking of getting back into this game.

I played a Shield Paladin thru trails of Atlantis

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Whatever you do, don't join hib. They are super overpopulated atm.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Any recommendation on getting the UI set up on ultrawide monitors? Maybe a custom UI or something that lets me resize things? Or should I go grab a cheap 1080 monitor. I know we mostly played this on CRTs on the way back.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
bysanui comes with with eden client. config options are in the top right of the launcher.

also while in game you can click and drag on the top left of the screen to increase the ui scaling. it can make fonts look a bit odd tho.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
back on the crack. some of the bad elements of my guild left, we had a chitchat about what ran me off, all is well now.

playing hib with <sweaty casuals>, started on a menty, switched to an eldritch because we need more keep/tower pbaoe, loving it. also have a druid for random pve crap and a ranger for when im feeling antisocial and just wanna run around solo. he stabs things

theyre all templated and capped out; gear's not too bad. slog through some galla raids and kill the dragon (it takes 45 seconds if the zerg is sizable) and you get tokens. spend token on shiny. rinse repeat done

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I take back what I said about don't go hib. Mid is overpopped as hell now :haw:

Also gently caress siege towers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my entire guild (<Sweaty Casuals>) is probably bouncing since they broke siege so badly and have stated Working As Intended. we're sad but we are not having fun any more and the admins are doing some very, very weird poo poo. banned a major mid BG leader yesterday and then sat in battlegroup chat lurking and writing down names of anybody who was complaining about it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jonny 290 posted:

my entire guild (<Sweaty Casuals>) is probably bouncing since they broke siege so badly and have stated Working As Intended. we're sad but we are not having fun any more and the admins are doing some very, very weird poo poo. banned a major mid BG leader yesterday and then sat in battlegroup chat lurking and writing down names of anybody who was complaining about it.

skaldren or rolly? i saw pole on today. I noticed a gm in the bg chat in mid yesterday. someone pointed them out as an elementalist

siege has been absolute poo poo for weeks now and they just keep breaking it harder.

also you can tell pop shift by the /tradeorder exchangerates. people are dropping mid to go hib now like mad.

edit : apparently it was rolly that was banned for saying the patch sucked. the gm karen needs to gtfo

ded fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 28, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah rolly just said "will be looking forward to seeing how phx 2.0 is" and bethel kicked him to the DF prison room

e: polemo was going alb as of yesterday but who knows what the gently caress now

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
welp it starts

hib losing a good bg leader for us tz

also sweaty looks to be in flux now for sure

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Phoenix just dropped their plan forward a few days ago so at least there is some news on that front and they will be releasing server soon. Pre-alpha will come out without any announcement apparently. I had the most fun on Phoenix/was the most I ever played DAOC and it ran the longest so I just have more faith in this server than the others, even though Celestius was ok/I'm sure Eden is enjoyable I was always just waiting for Phoenix because I thought it was coming out latest December 2022. I think everyone will go back to Phoenix and it'll be the main DAOC freeshard for another 2+ years or so unless they gently caress it up. The community is too small to be split among different servers in any meaningful way.

https://playphoenix.online/forum/server/news/roadmap-to-relaunch-01GTAN988RCYFZ3R4T2G809BYY

Oh is that Jony's guild? Is he talking about changing games to RoR?

knox fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 6, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

knox posted:

Phoenix just dropped their plan forward a few days ago so at least there is some news on that front and they will be releasing server soon. Pre-alpha will come out without any announcement apparently. I had the most fun on Phoenix/was the most I ever played DAOC and it ran the longest so I just have more faith in this server than the others, even though Celestius was ok/I'm sure Eden is enjoyable I was always just waiting for Phoenix because I thought it was coming out latest December 2022. I think everyone will go back to Phoenix and it'll be the main DAOC freeshard for another 2+ years or so unless they gently caress it up. The community is too small to be split among different servers in any meaningful way.

https://playphoenix.online/forum/server/news/roadmap-to-relaunch-01GTAN988RCYFZ3R4T2G809BYY

Oh is that Jony's guild? Is he talking about changing games to RoR?

Yep. Apparently the eden staff has done things like seek out posts on 3rd party sites to ban them for saying anything bad about the server along with other things like banning people for reporting bugs or saying that a patch is bad on "official" eden discord/forums/ingame.

I have a feeling that a lot of people have just been waiting for phx to come back. I know I have.

But I also know they might want to revisit the 5k long ban list they have, except for pk. gently caress pk keep them foreverbanned.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I think they did say they will be re-visiting ban list, but that certain things like cheating/other poo poo would stay perma-banned. I think that is one of the items left on the roadmap before pre-Alpha comes out without an announcement.

"Phoenix 2.0 Roadap posted:

Staff Site #1
✅ Account management
✅ Basics
✅ Email changes
✅ Name changes
✅ Character Management
✅ Basics
✅ Rename
Ban / Mute Handling

Only thing not checked off, not sure what it means though I just thought I remember someone asking that question in 2022 when they first announced 2.0 would come back late 2022/early 2023 which obviously I think Eden made them delay even further.

That sort of petty poo poo they are banning people for I think is typical, obviously these guys are running a freeshard without compensation in their free time, always seems to be 'competitive' or hostile with other servers & their teams. Phoenix would mute people for even mentioning other servers in the discord. Banning someone from server for mentioning a different freeshard is a joke.

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail
I hadn't been paying much attention to the daoc sphere but stumbled across eden by chance and having a good time, roped two of my wow friends who had never played into tagging along to capture that "what the gently caress am I doing again" new mmo feeling and had some actual fun rvr in hills of claret. escaping at 2 mph across a 4 inch deep lake while a full 8 man group ominously wades towards you has never been more exciting

I don't know if anyone is still actively playing here involved in the cult of nyalarthotep days/alb stealth group or whatnot, but im vibing on all 3 realms getting used to the game again. was schepps (druid)/hors d'oeuvres (minst)/that one hunter i cant remember the name of who always grouped with lash?? back when. not sure how long the shine will last for for 2/3rds of my three man since they don't have the years of nostalgia hooking into their brain like me, so if there's a home for a chronic support player I'm all for it.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

ggschmitty posted:

I hadn't been paying much attention to the daoc sphere but stumbled across eden by chance and having a good time, roped two of my wow friends who had never played into tagging along to capture that "what the gently caress am I doing again" new mmo feeling and had some actual fun rvr in hills of claret. escaping at 2 mph across a 4 inch deep lake while a full 8 man group ominously wades towards you has never been more exciting

I don't know if anyone is still actively playing here involved in the cult of nyalarthotep days/alb stealth group or whatnot, but im vibing on all 3 realms getting used to the game again. was schepps (druid)/hors d'oeuvres (minst)/that one hunter i cant remember the name of who always grouped with lash?? back when. not sure how long the shine will last for for 2/3rds of my three man since they don't have the years of nostalgia hooking into their brain like me, so if there's a home for a chronic support player I'm all for it.

If you could get Lash to play again I'd be all over this poo poo show again.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Aaaye I tried I think during Phoenix/possibly Celestius. Are you in my discord I made for DAOC goons?

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail

PriNGLeS posted:

I haven't talked to him in years I think he purged me from his socials :pensive:

knox posted:

Aaaye I tried I think during Phoenix/possibly Celestius. Are you in my discord I made for DAOC goons?

he is the glue that holds us together

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Yeah I'm on there, hardly ever open Discord anymore.

Noticed Eden removed actual numbers on their "stats" page now. Take from that what you will.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I don't know what happened but I kind of lost interest in playing. Like, the server is fun and all but bleh. I wish DF was more of a PvP palace.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
done with eden. gave 12 plat to a random dude on mid, 48p to girthquake cuz shieldz is a good guy, and 12p to a random dude on hib and uninstalled.

phx when please? :)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://playphoenix.online/play

Phoenix pre-alpha is online

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

ggschmitty posted:

I haven't talked to him in years I think he purged me from his socials :pensive:

he is the glue that holds us together

I would never do that to you <3 YOU ARE STILL ON ALL MY poo poo!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so

after that post from pushy a while back

we all disbanded from sweaties and formed <tabula rasa> because we disagreed with his eden boycott.

then, two weeks later he died.

Dropped dead of a massive heart attack.

Was really hard on all of us, especially with the terms we parted ways on.

Best thing we can do to respect his memory and the fun we had is make TR the biggest and best hib guild on eden, and we're hard at work on that. we have a team of GMs (of which i am one!) actively inviting, running raids, and of course rvr.

times have been good, times have been bad, but we still love playing with each other.

if anybody's on hib side on eden and wants in, i got you covered. we have people on almost 24h a day and primetime NA we have close to 25-30 members on.

e: btw we have zero plans to go to phx

it should be relatively easy to track me down in game. just got the page filled tonight.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:wtc:

I left all the eden based discords including the TR one. Pushy/LT seemed a pretty ok dude. How old was he?