Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ve never heard of those!

Flemming, Le Carre and Deighton are generally regarded as the 3 best British authors of spy fiction of their time and probably of all time. I think Le Carre is very interesting in his contrast with Flemming in that he went through a similar experience in working for the security services and came out the other side with a completely different set of experiences and views, he worked for MI5/6 in the 1950's and 60's and indeed wrote his first books while still employed by them in West Germany. His works are a lot drabber, and much more grounded in what you would think intelligence work is really like, there really arent many, or sometimes any good guys on any side, any physical action in them is typically quite subdued, his most famous protagonist, George Smiley, being a short, overweight, aging englishman with an interest in old books and notably poor fashion sense. Deighton is very similar in that regard, in that his books adopt a very cynical tone about the intelligence services and particularly the class system therein and its influence on that, something which is pretty much crucial to address if you are going to set something in Britain in the cold war era.

They are all well worth a read certainly, particularly Le Carres Spy Who Came in From the Cold (my own personal favourite spy novel) and the Karla trilogy, and Deightons Game, Set, Match trilogy, (that trilogy does go on for 6 more books but i havent read them yet) as sort of the jumping on points for those particular writers. The rest of their stuff is generally good but variable but those are regarded to be their best work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Bond is being a bitch again here. A "cur" is a mongrel dog. It sounds like he's suggesting something impolite about Ruby's ancestry....

In this instance i believe it is him describing himself as feeling a cur for misleading a woman in such a dickish way.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Muggeridge is the only man twattish enough to visibly irritate Michael Palin when he tried his schtick on TV about the controversy surrounding the life of Brian, he peddled his poo poo for decades, it's quite a good watch that debate because he makes a right tit of himself. He embodies the absolute nadir of British faux intellectual criticism, one can draw a lot of parallels between his style as a journalist and that of our current illustrious PM and many other journalists besides.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Goodbye, Mr Bond.