Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lotsa people poo poo-talking projectors itt and i have to say i could not be happier with mine

i bought the Sony VPLHW45ES after a lot of research and it's amazing. zero rainbow-effect, absolutely no noise (even though it's right above my head) and it is very viewable with lights on

here it is with the lights off

here it is with the lights on

i know there's aren't review-worth photos but these are the only photos of it I found on my google photos account. apparently my kid took a picture of the screen that i never knew about lol

i got it for $1,400 new and couldn't be happier. yeah I had to spend another $500 on a 150" screen so it was $1,900 total but it was worth every penny and even me with my eyespergers i couldn't find anything to complain about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dragon enthusiast posted:

do they even make actually dumb TVs anymore

i wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic makes one

when i was buying my plasmas back in the day they were the only company that offered a lot of niche poo poo for businesses, like a modular output panel so you could get VGA and DVI and stuff. they even sold some that came with no speakers at all, which I eventually bought, because my living room fireplace can only fit a 42" telelvision above it but with no speakers i was able to fit a 50" there.

whenever Panasonic finally starts offering OLED is when i will probably finally buy one. i'm not buying LG because they get caught doing poo poo like uploading the file names of all files on any connected hard drives/SD cards to china

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do you have speakers in the ceiling?

yeah, i didn't want any center or left/right speakers taking up screen space

no it does not bother me or ruin any ~immersion~

the sub is hidden in a closet behind the back of the other side of the couch

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

NEED MORE MILK posted:

there are some dell switches that use hdmi as the interswitch fabric which is pretty lol

when I had verizon wireless i needed a Samsung verizon network extender in my house to get a signal. on the bottom of it was a fuckin hdmi port

big scary monsters posted:

i got a snes classic and i dont know if i should get a projector or a TV to play mario kart

it seems like playing on a 180" screen would be cool but projectors are pretty noisy

please advise - the games are 224 vertical lines, so i think i need 4k??

i have an hdmi-modded NES and it looks awesome on the projector

edit: i found another pic; this is the SNES over s-video

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 8, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah that really is the good use for a projector, is to just fill an entire wall floor to ceiling.

when i was young i managed to score a surplus projector off work (someone had donated it to the school district and they couldn't find a use for an LP1000 with a fixed-zoom short-throw lens, so a check for $10 later and it was legally mine) and i used it to fill a whole wall of a room. resolution was only 1024x768 but this was before HD media really got prolific anyway and it worked well enough to still be a hit with my friends.

for whatever reason, and I know this makes no sense, but I don't notice a projector is low-res as much as I do a telelvision (i know this makes zero sense). my friend had a 480p projector for a long time and we always thought it was 720p and we'd play xbox 360 on it and watch movies on it and it looked fantastic (except for the rainbow effect). i never once thought it was not HD until i went to look up the specs years later and sure enough it was just 480p

i got really lucky being able to fit a 150" there. the ceilings are only 7' tall, and there's molding around the bottom. if the 150" screen was literally 2" taller I would have had to have gone with a 135" screen instead

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I bet that's because the optics fuzz out the pixel edges a bit in a way that an LCD panel does not

that's definitely possible, or maybe it looked great because nothing was being upscaled? i actually find properly-calibrated projectors to look sharper than LCDs a lot of the time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

my oled tv looks nicer and has better picture quality than that pos

OLED has better picture quality than a projector?? :wth:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

angry_keebler posted:

in fact, it's even better than that. if you use an oled tv you can watch parts of your favorite shows no matter what's on.

lol of course the only technology in TV to surpass plasma also has burn in issues

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

cool man. I never did fix that Virtual Boy by the way. would probably need to invest in a microscope. for some reason it's missing the bracket that holds one of the displays too (but it had an extra display stuffed inside???)

send me a pic of the bracket. I'll check if I have another one and I will send it to you

Hed posted:

the lower left being lower than the right is making me :spergin:

haha i fixed it since then but it's still off by a really small amount. it's perfectly straight on top though so I am not sure what else i can do

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OLEDs should get even better soon. I think LG no longer has exclusive rights to make OLED televisions starting in October or something. Personally I'm getting one as soon as Panasonic makes one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I heard the reason you can't get laptop screens in OLED any longer is because there's no money in the small panels. I have no idea what to believe

I just want an OLED TV that isn't glossy and doesn't have poo poo input lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i think my favorite little detail about world electricity standards is that japan, unlike any other country, uses two different frequency standards. western japan is 110v/60hz like the usa and most of the americas, while eastern japan is 110v/50hz, a standard which is shared only with madagascar. they have four gigantic switching stations in the middle of the country to tie the two grids together

:japan:

that's hilarious

also I think Japan is technically 100v :spergin:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 12, 2018

• Locked thread