Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

man I wish we had a cool 60s/70s style leftist insurgency in the west that went around offing the fash

instead we have c-spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Goon Project: Let's send money to the CPP-NPA
God can't stop Duterte, but goons can

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Goon Project: Goon Island 2, rebel stronghold edition

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Feranon posted:

man I wish we had a cool 60s/70s style leftist insurgency in the west that went around offing the fash

instead we have c-spam

off the fash with brutal owns

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Feranon posted:

instead we have c-spam

We're just as well not having any Baader-Meinhoff dorks running around.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Feranon posted:

instead we have c-spam

Would just give the police state something to smash.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/prwc_info/status/1015921993064026114

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is how C-SPAN is gonna get shut down

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

allow me to translate the rest of that thread:

"Let's just go to war!", you said, like some kind of an addled moron on a high. You think you're such an advocate for peace? All you ever do is say you want it, but never not once have you deescalated the war. Never not once have you told your soldiers to stop the offensives.

Now, there is no more peace in the villages and the forests that have been ransacked by your troops. There is no end to the depths of suffering experienced by those subjected to your warmongering, that you so ironically called "Operation Peace". You are deaf to their cries.

You drown out their shouting with the sound of the bombs that you drop upon their houses and farmlands. You evict them from lands that you and your lackeys covey so greedily.

You have hamstrung the peace talks oh so many times. You keep changing the conditions on us, and now you tell the lie that the NDFP wants a coalition with you? Please, they don't even want you!

To say that the government has been given the short end of the stick in previous negotiations? Another lie. All you really want is to throw away all the progress that has been made in the last 25 years. It is now so clear to us that you really do not want peace.

A peace that would solve the problems that this nation faces - stolen lands, unemployment, low wages, rising prices, crippling taxes, and corruption and theft by bureaucrats like you

What you really want is for all revolutionaries to surrender and bend the knee. You are so drunk on power.

You think that you can get away with all your crimes and abuses? You are wrong. The Filipino people will not allow it. Your ambition to subjugate the nation will fail. Your scheming to become dictator will fail.

You must be daydreaming if you think that you can overcome the armed struggle of the masses. You are certain to fail. Just like your idol, Marcos, you will be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Let's just go to war!", you said, like some kind of an addled moron on a high. You think you're such an advocate for peace? All you ever do is say you want it, but never not once have you deescalated the war. Never not once have you told your soldiers to stop the offensives.

Now, there is no more peace in the villages and the forests that have been ransacked by your troops. There is no end to the depths of suffering experienced by those subjected to your warmongering, that you so ironically called "Operation Peace". You are deaf to their cries.

You drown out their shouting with the sound of the bombs that you drop upon their houses and farmlands. You evict them from lands that you and your lackeys covey so greedily.

You have hamstrung the peace talks oh so many times. You keep changing the conditions on us, and now you tell the lie that the NDFP wants a coalition with you? Please, they don't even want you!

To say that the government has been given the short end of the stick in previous negotiations? Another lie. All you really want is to throw away all the progress that has been made in the last 25 years. It is now so clear to us that you really do not want peace.

A peace that would solve the problems that this nation faces - stolen lands, unemployment, low wages, rising prices, crippling taxes, and corruption and theft by bureaucrats like you

What you really want is for all revolutionaries to surrender and bend the knee. You are so drunk on power.

You think that you can get away with all your crimes and abuses? You are wrong. The Filipino people will not allow it. Your ambition to subjugate the nation will fail. Your scheming to become dictator will fail.

You must be daydreaming if you think that you can overcome the armed struggle of the masses. You are certain to fail. Just like your idol, Marcos, you will be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol at the copy pasted workers on the back

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

lol @ Duterte moobs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I will say that a personal hang-up of mine in local political discourse is that whenever the militant left raises the "Duterte-US regime", you always get a bunch of shitlibs coming in with their hot-takes on how "UHHHH ACTUALLY CHINA IS THE PROBLEM" and either demanding proof that the US has significant influence over the Philippines, or asserting that the US does have influence over the Philippines, but that that's a good thing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I will say that a personal hang-up of mine in local political discourse is that whenever the militant left raises the "Duterte-US regime", you always get a bunch of shitlibs coming in with their hot-takes on how "UHHHH ACTUALLY CHINA IS THE PROBLEM" and either demanding proof that the US has significant influence over the Philippines, or asserting that the US does have influence over the Philippines, but that that's a good thing
wasn't duterte making overtures to bring china closer to the philippines to begin with?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

the English translation is on the NDFP website, I hope you didn't make yourself go through it line by line :ohdear:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

wasn't duterte making overtures to bring china closer to the philippines to begin with?

yes, he did, but Duterte rolling over for Xi and letting them intrude in the Spratlys and taking out "debt trap" loans to finance his infrastructure programs is regarded by the opposition as a bad thing. He's perceived as a "lapdog" to the Chinese ... which makes the liberals insist on writing-off left-wing criticism of the government's ties with America to be misguided / wrong / outdated.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes, he did, but Duterte rolling over for Xi and letting them intrude in the Spratlys and taking out "debt trap" loans to finance his infrastructure programs is regarded by the opposition as a bad thing. He's perceived as a "lapdog" to the Chinese ... which makes the liberals insist on writing-off left-wing criticism of the government's ties with America to be misguided / wrong / outdated.

Yeah, because they're going to be the ones to bring back American dominance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1016862089674219522

“If it’s the same God, I’m sorry, that’s how it is. Sorry, God. I said sorry God. If God is taken in a generic term by everybody listening then that’s well and good,” Duterte said in a video posted by the Presidential Communication Operations Office (PCOO) on its Facebook Page.

The President maintained his critics should “never use the name of God to attack government.”

“I only apologize to God, nobody else. If I wronged God, he would be happy to listen. Why? Because my God is all forgiving. Why? Because God created me to be good and not bad,” he said.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because God created me to be good and not bad,” he said.

the god that failed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Everything Duterte said about God is really funny

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cucked by God

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Oct 24, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the big issues during the 2016 campaign was "charter change", or the drafting of a new Constitution, and specifically Duterte's adoption of the platform of using charter change to implement Federalism, rather than the current unitary government.

Besides the supposed benefits of using Federalism to deal with separatist groups in the south of the country, the highly hyped need for Federalism was the assertion that it would allow for a more equitable distribution of the national coffers across the country. The phrase "Imperial Manila" has been used on and off in political discourse throughout the modern era, but it especially gained prominence as a result of Duterte's campaign, where he made the case that a federalized Philippines would more even development across the whole country.

Yet another angle on charter change is that it could be used to lift current constitutional restrictions on foreign ownership of companies in the Philippines, with an eye towards attracting more foreign investment and therefore more jobs, more economic growth, etc. That's a rather neoliberal view of economic policy, of course, and the way it's been heavily downplayed in favor of going hard on the provincial/rural development angle suggests that this is one of the "Real" big deals at stake.

Finally, one of the most latent threats when it comes to charter change is the possibility that it will be used by the current President to extend their term and/or allow themselves to run again - this was infamously used by Ferdinand Marcos himself, so it's on peoples's minds as an obvious potential problem regardless of one's thoughts on the rest of the proposals.

_______

Per the current constitution, there's three ways in which to trigger charter change:

The first is via a People's Initiative, wherein The People can directly submit amendments to the constitution via a petition that's signed by at least 12% of all registered voters, and at least 3% of all registered voters within each legislative district.

The second is via a Constitutional Convention, in which a special election is held for people to elect delegates to a convention that will then draft and submit amendments to the constitution. Notably, this was the method used to draft the current constitution after Marcos's overthrow.

Lastly, we have the Constituent Assembly, in which Congress can convene themselves to propose constitutional amendments, and then the amendments have to be approved by three-fourths of Congress.

As an aside, I believe Venezuela's constitutional change in 2017 was called a Constituent Assembly, though the mechanics resemble what the Philippine Constitution would consider a Constitutional Convention, since the assembly members were chosen via a popular election.

The Constituent Assembly was the method that the administration has chosen to go along with, largely because it means that the Duterte-allied Congresspersons get to decide on the amendments themselves (a Convention could elect different people), and because there's enough of an overwhelming majority in Congress that they could get the 3/4ths margin to approve amendments easily.

There is a pending constitutional crisis here: the constitution is vaguely worded to the extent that it is unclear whether the Senate votes with, or separately from, the House. If the Senate would need to vote separately, and if both votes have to pass in order for the amendments to be approved, then that spells trouble for the administration, since there's probably enough No votes in the Senate that they couldn't pass the 3/4ths threshold. Naturally, the Speaker of the House has insisted that they do not need the Senate, and it's altogether likely that if this were to come to the Supreme Court, the conservative-stacked court would rule in favor of the Speaker's interpretation.

Once these amendments have been approved/presented, via any of the three methods, then there's supposed to be a national plebiscite in order to have it ratified. The historical background to that particular process is that when Marcos did the same to pass a new constitution in 1973 to extend his power, the votes were done under armed guard, or under false pretense (a recurring trick was to ask everyone who wanted to get a rice dole to raise their hands, then immediately ask for approval on the plebiscite, and count the same hands), or just straight-up making up numbers.

One last angle to note about this whole process is that the administration has been angling to sell the public on a "no midterm elections" scenario, or a national plebiscite that's concurrent with the midterms. The official line is that this is more "fiscally responsible", since the government wouldn't have to shell out for a second, post-midterm election just to run the plebiscite. The real reason, of course, is that it prevents some kind of opposition blowback that might ruin the number of Duterte allies in the House.

_______

To get the ball rolling on this whole endeavour, Duterte appointed and convened a "Consultative Committee" on Charter Change in January of 2018. The group is composed of liberals and conservatives of varying degrees, a former Senate President, at least one former Supreme Court associate justice, law school deans, and even representatives from Mindanao. As near as I can tell, the left wing is not represented at all in this group.

Their objective was to create a draft document of constitutional amendments, submit it to the President and to Congress and to the public, and that document can serve as the basis for what the Constituent Assembly (composed of members of Congress) would work on and vote on.

The committee completed their draft on July 3.

As early as July 5th, there were already accusations flying that the draft document would allow Duterte to extend his term past 2022 [1] [2].

On July 6th, Duterte then made a speech urging Congress to modify the draft in such a way as to prevent him from being able to run again or to extend his term. This was reiterated by the Press Secretary on the 9th.

On the 10th, the Press Secretary then said that Duterte was considering a set-up by which the President during the transitory period to the new constitution should be elected, rather than passing to Duterte, which would mean that Duterte gets to step down even earlier than 2022.

Still, other critics are saying that there's a big loophole in the draft document: if no elections are held by May 2022, then the terms of the transitory period officials would not expire yet, which could mean that Duterte keeps on being President as long as the elections aren't held.

There's a lot of chatter and white noise about this particular topic, and Duterte is hardly trustworthy, but suffice it to say that this is a contentious issue and will probably be both warned against by the opposition and downplayed by the administration until the day the issue is resolved one way or another.

_______

For anyone who's interested, here's an article covering a full copy of the draft document. Again, this is only a set of recommendations by a committee formed by the President, and it still has to go through Congress-as-Constituent-Assembly, and will probably be changed significantly if/when we get there.

My overall opinion of the whole deal is that Federalism itself is just blowing smoke up our asses as far as the promise of better rural/provincial development. The problems of those areas are warlordism, dynasts, and general corruption brought about by oligarchical families owning huge tracts of land, and creating a state-level bureaucracy not only does nothing to address these underlying issues, but actually threatens to entrench them further because now the kids of Ferdinand Marcos are going to have even more autonomy in Ilocos Norte, and so on for every other local despot.

Specific provisions I'd like to call out:

* There's a prohibition on "unreasonable surveillance" that the military does not like

* There's a provision to add "lawless violence" as a reason for suspending the writ of Habeas Corpus. This is dangerous insofar as Duterte used that very same phrase and justification to declare a "state of emergency" in Davao City back in 2016 that hasn't been lifted since.

* There's a number of provisions designed to strengthen political parties by making it difficult to "jump" parties arbitrarily, mandating democratic processes for choosing party members, mandating gender equality in electoral candidates, and creating public funding for parties. This is good, on paper.

* Federal-level Senators would now be elected per-state, with two Senators per state, rather than the current model of the 12 candidates that received the most number of free-for-all-national-level votes becoming Senator. The number of seats in the House would increase from 297 to 400, and 40% of those seats are going to be via proportional representation of parties. This is mostly good, on paper.

* Senators, House Representatives, the President, and the Vice President would all require college degrees to be eligible for the office. I strongly disagree with this on undemocratic grounds.

* The President and the Vice President would now be voted on as a single ticket, rather than separately. This is good on paper, because there's this not-good mentality among the electorate that you should vote for the Pres and the VP on opposing tickets, with one acting as a "moderating force" on the other. In practice this never works, because the VP has zero actual power. It's resulted in the last two VPs being party-opponents of the President, at which point they're shoved into some podunk cabinet appointment until it's time to run for President again.

* The foreign ownership laws have been changed subtly to still be there, but with a clause saying that they can be changed by Congress through a law. Even if this half-measure were to survive the Constituent Assembly, it's altogether likely that Congress actually would remove those limits anyway as one of their first acts.

I see maybe two things in there that I think would be decent improvements to the government in a vacuum, but as a whole package, I don't see myself approving of this, given a choice.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If not for the fact that Duterte is basically a puppet of Chinese interests at this point, I imagine he'd get along fantastically with Trump and probably have a Trump hotel in Manila already.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lol

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They're on the FTO list.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

so was Mujahideen e Kalk

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
It's good that he's apologizing only to God, because only God forgives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

If not for the fact that Duterte is basically a puppet of Chinese interests at this point

https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1017251573561356289

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Feranon posted:

instead we have c-spam

but they mostly just hijacked airplanes and poo poo and didn't accomplish much

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Look like it's time for a crusade to eliminate heresy in The Phillipines.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Lessail posted:

he peaked with sandstorm anyway

There is a song you should play repeatedly.

Fiend has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Jul 15, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Leftist lawmakers ready to work with Leni

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — Members of the progressive Makabayan bloc in the House of Representatives yesterday expressed willingness to form a coalition with Vice President Leni Robredo, who declared that she would now be the voice of the political opposition.

“The Makabayan bloc is open to unite and cooperate with all those who are ready to fight the anti-people and anti-poor policies of this administration represented by President Duterte,” Rep. Antonio Tinio of ACT Teachers party-list said in Filipino.

At a news conference at the House media center, Tinio described as a “positive development” Robredo’s decision to be the unifying force against all the excesses of the Duterte administration.

“It’s about time (that she stands up as an opposition),” Tinio said, noting that as time passes, it is becoming clearer that Robredo will eventually be removed from her post, just like what the government did to then chief justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, who was ousted through a quo warranto case filed by the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG).

Repeated insinuations that Duterte – who never lost a single case in the judiciary – had something to do with Sereno’s ouster have irritated the Chief Executive.

Robredo is facing an electoral protest before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal filed by her rival in the 2016 elections, former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr., and supported by the OSG, a government agency headed by Jose Calida, who admitted to being a Marcos loyalist.

Now more than ever, Tinio said it is important and critical for forces against Duterte to unite, considering that all the telltale signs of an “imminent dictatorship” are manifest, mainly through Charter change and the shift to federalism.

Rep. Emmi de Jesus of women’s group Gabriela could not agree more. “Perhaps the logic behind Makabayan’s bloc to unite is really its serious concern over issues involving the people. We will not compromise the issues concerning the people,” she said in Filipino.

“Because we know that in the first two years of President Duterte, those in the marginalized sector became really poorer.”

Let's check on how "the opposition" is doing:

Leni urges labor, employers to ‘compromise’ on contractualization

quote:

Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo on Sunday said a compromise should be reached between workers and employers over the long-standing issue of contractualization in the country.

“(This has been an issue that has been going on for such a long time that I really think it needs to be tackled head-on already),” she said in her weekly radio show, BISErbisyong LENI, on RMN-DZXL 558.

“(We already know what the workers are demanding; but the employers also have their complaints. That's why we really need to sit down and find a balance - to sit down, that is, and not reduce the reduce the security of tenure of the workers, that also does not cause the employers to lose money),” she added.

Robredo said the two sectors should sit and discuss their issues and come up with a possible compromise and solution.

The Vice President’s remarks came after Malacañang announced that President Rodrigo Duterte would no longer be signing an executive order against endo, or the “end of contract” hiring practice, where companies let go of workers before they complete six months of service.

ah ha, welcome to the #Resistance

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

paquiao won so that gets the mind of the nation off of arbitrary loitering crackdowns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how does the presidency work that the vice president is in opposition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

There's a line on the ballot for the President, and the line on the ballot for the Vice President. Whoever gets the most votes for that position takes that office.

The VP does not get to do anything, not even be involved in matters of Senate business as the American VP is. It's "traditional" to give the VP a cabinet post, but there's no direct constitutional/legal mandate to do so.

in 1992, the first elections since the ouster of Ferdinand Marcos, the President (Fidel V. Ramos) and the Vice President (Joseph Estrada) were not from the same party

in 1998, Joseph Estrada won the Presidency, and his party didn't have a VP candidate, so of course the VP (Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) was not from the same party

in 2001, Estrada was removed from power via a popular movement following a failed impeachment trial that was largely thought to have been corrupted/bought off. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo ascended to the Presidency, and named Teofisto Guingona, then serving a Senate Minority Leader, to become her VP for the remainder of the 1998 to 2004 term. That was the first time since the 1987 post-Marcos Constitution that the President and the VP were from the same party.

in 2004, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo won a second term at the Presidency. Her VP was Noli de Castro, who ran as an independent.

in 2010, Benigno Aquino III won the Presidency. His VP was Jejomar Binay, who ran from a different party. It's notable that Aquino and Binay were perceived to be political rivals, to the point where Binay resigned his cabinet post (as the rough equivalent of HUD Secretary) in mid-2015 to get a head-start on campaigning against Aquino.

in 2016, of course Duterte won the Presidency, and his VP is currently Leni Robredo. This is regarded as even more of a vicious ideological battle than the Aquino-Binay dichotomy because Duterte ran on tearing down the alleged corruption and incompetence of the Aquino administration. Robredo was given the HUD cabinet post again, but was effectively forced out by Dec 2016 and resigned the post after being denied access to all cabinet meetings.

Finally, I want to say that the peculiar way that we vote for the President and the VP separately creates this effect (at least, as I've experienced it anecdotally) where people think that they can "balance" the ticket by deliberately voting for opposing candidates, with a view that one will be a moderating influence on the other. This obviously doesn't actually work - when the Liberals were in power, Binay broke away and accused Aquino of holding him back. With Duterte in power, they simply threw out Robredo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

It used to be in the United States that it was customary to pick your general election opponent to be the VP, and they only started doing party nominations for VP in the 20th century. A lot of presidential republics don't really have formal limitations on who gets picked for VP offices.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
except for emergency succession, I can't even remember any particular power the American VP has. Isn't most of the stuff they traditionally do just delegated power

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Larry Parrish posted:

except for emergency succession, I can't even remember any particular power the American VP has. Isn't most of the stuff they traditionally do just delegated power

They get to cast tie breaking votes in the Senate, which has come up a few times this term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Philippines could breach US sanctions if Russia arms deal proceeds

quote:

MANILA - The Philippines is at risk of breaching sanctions imposed by the United States if it proceeds with the purchase of grenade launchers from a blacklisted Russian firm, a deal that could test its longtime security alliance with Washington.

A senior Philippine general familiar with the deal said Manila had agreed in October last year to a 400 million peso ($7.48 million) purchase of 750 RPG-7B rocket-propelled grenade launchers from Russia's state-owned Rosoboronexport, but the transfer had yet to be completed.

U.S. sanctions were imposed last year against any country trading with Russia's defense and intelligence sectors.

The law is designed to punish Russia for its 2014 annexation of Crimea from Ukraine, its support for Syria's government and alleged meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Russia has donated assault rifles and trucks to the Philippines but the grenade launchers would be Manila's first purchase of Russian weapons. The Philippines has long relied on the United States as its main source of military hardware and support.

If it goes ahead, the deal could add strain to a nearly 70-year-old security alliance that Washington has described as "ironclad," despite Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's disdain for the relationship with the former colonial power.

Duterte wants closer ties with China and Russia and has ordered the army and police to engage with countries which do not impose conditions on weapons sales. Some U.S. legislators campaigned to block sales of 26,000 assault rifles to the Philippines in May 2017 because of human rights concerns over an anti-narcotics campaign that has killed thousands of Filipinos.

quote:

Note: that was Ben Cardin (D-MD) and Marco Rubio (R-FL)

Duterte scrapped that deal, as well as the purchase of $233 million worth of Canadian helicopters, over concerns by the sellers about how they would be used.

A U.S. State Department official said foreign governments and private sector entities had been put on notice that "significant transactions with any of the 39 listed entities will result in sanctions." Rosoboronexport was blacklisted in April.

American allies who buy weapons and equipment from Russia, the world's second-largest arms exporter, would also be penalized and could see the transfer of those arms disrupted.

The State Department official declined to say what specific sanctions the U.S. could impose on the Philippines if it goes ahead with the deal with Rosoboronexport, while a spokesman for the Treasury Department said it "does not telegraph sanctions or comment on prospective actions."

A senior Philippines defense official, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to media, told Reuters the United States has not officially notified Manila about the restrictions on Rosoboronexport.

"It's still a go until we are informed," he added.

The army general familiar with the deal declined to comment on possible sanctions.

Jose Antonio Custodio, a Philippine security expert, warned the Russian arms deal may affect Manila's security relations with allies, not only with its former colonial master the United States, but also with Japan and Australia.

"If the Duterte administration keeps on elevating the military-to-military relationship with Russia, it may lead to push back from these allies given international sanctions on that country for bad behavior," he said.