Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I kept putting this show off for some reason and finally got around to binging it. I really like it! It's definitely "HBO's Arrested Development", and the cast knocks it out of the park. I read an article with the creator and I guess Kieran Calkin is having a blast ad libbing lines.

El Jeffe posted:

Also gently caress Tom. He sleeps around willy nilly but melts down when Shiv confesses to a little of the same? I know it's a realistic reaction and I greatly enjoy his character but really gently caress him.

END ME SCOOB posted:

That finale definitely took me from "I feel bad for the guy" to "oh that's a real ugly look, Tom", and basically made me realize that while none of them are good people, the kids at least feel... Well-intentioned in their own bubble? That scene with "put my wine back" was the first "gently caress you I'm rich bow and scrape" I could recall seeing beyond Logan and the million dollar check in the premiere.

abraham linksys posted:

also jesus tom really quickly went from "doofy brown-noser who genuinely wants a normal, healthy relationship with shiv" to "oh noooo tom you gently caress" over the last few episodes, huh? though i hope that's the last we see of nate, who is a gross dude who grosses me out

:psyduck: Tom is my favorite character on this show. The contrast between how he acts around rich people and who he feels are lower than him is incredible. The switch he flicks between goofy and harmless to sociopathic, cruel ladder-climber is awesome, Matt MacFadyen is one of the highlights of the show.

Edit: For example, the post-wedding scene with Tom and Shiv takes on a different tone when you know that Tom is playing Shiv and he would be miserable living as a poor diving instructor, but you can see the reaction it gets from Shiv.

Also any scene with Tom and Greg.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IIRC he even went to the bathroom and washed his hands lol

I think I'll rewatch the first season soon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really need to rewatch the first season because I went from not liking this show to loving it and this season is great so far. I did hesitate when Kendall was offered the same job Roman was just given, it made me worry that Logan was slipping again, but he seems content to have his Robot Boy at his beck and call

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, Logan is playing all of them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wild Speculation: This show either ends with Cousin Greg in charge of everything or going to jail for everything

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forget what it was in the first couple episodes, but I remember thinking that I felt there was something between Roman and Geri. Then this episode suggested they were close.

I liked this episode. As usual, Tom and Greg were the highlights. Tom settling for an open relationship that he isn't totally okay with in exchange for the power he wants is good TV and adds depth to his already great character.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That was a great last scene.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah. Okay. Good.

His repetition of simple phrases and words reminds me of when I was suffering great loss. It's awesome to have a show where a traumatic event actually has an effect on a character past an episode or two.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Agreed, Kendall was definitely broken down to nothing and I think he's being built up by Logan to take over the company. Maybe he doesn't even know it, as I felt he was being honest with Shiv.

It also crossed my mind that Logan could be setting all three children up to inherit, as in the Safe Room scene they appeared to be selling the Pierce representative together in different ways :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Did anyone else think Logan orchestrated the "shooting" to prevent Rhea from leaving?

He didn't, but he did delay their leaving the safe room by having another sweep of the 3rd floor when he realized that things were going well and couldn't be interrupted.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Scooter_McCabe posted:

What was that last look.

Edit: Ah the redheaded child hosed over the family.

What?

Edit: Did you mean Shiv, or the WASP Liberal family Roman analogue who was the only one on their side getting sloppy and wasn't allowed to speak lol

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 9, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I felt like I was missing with whatever they were doing with Marcia, but laughed when Nan asked her to be there for the meeting and Logan didn't bring her, then the first thing that Nan asked when Logan walked into the room was "Where is your wife?"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Logan calling Kendall "killer" was one of those clever moments where you don't know what he really means but at the same time you probably do. Also the housekeeper/maid in the house giving Kendall that sad look after she came downstairs with his soiled sheets was one of those little moments that really make this show.

I missed this, but I really did appreciate the scene where Nan goes into the kitchen to get the main dish, walking out to the applause of family and Roys, and the woman trails behind her and stands in the doorway to see the reaction to the dish that SHE prepared but Nan gets the glory for.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That was a good episode and I hate the Roys and Pierces equally, but the Roys are way more fun to watch

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am horrified to realize that Logan does the "Uh huh" thing that Kendall has developed :psyduck:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

double negative posted:

bill's a crafty motherfucker

Yeah, talk about a cool background character. As soon as he made an appearance I assumed he was maneuvering and didn't buy his "Aw shucks I'm here to support my friends! :)" act, then the last scene confirmed it.

Also I think Tom is toast. The fact that his immediate reaction was to ask Shiv if she was loving him says a lot about their relationship, too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Awesome finale, I really like this show despite not liking it at first. Same thing happened with The Leftovers, which is one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

He’s not even planning long term! He’s literally just reacting to emergencies or his own whims as they come up.

Seriously. He's chasing after cars with people who are leaving from failed deals. He's no longer capable of leading. He's built Ken up and Roman is quickly emerging as a good advisor; cut Shiv a cheque and finance a lovely play every-so-often and maybe the company will survive another 35 years.