Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

In early 1997, Capcom released the eighth game in the Mega Man franchise to North American shores. Designed as both a continuation and a celebration of the series, Mega Man 8 aimed to refine the classic "Jump and Shoot" formula and reinvigorate it with some of the best art and animation possible for the time. While some fans of NES Mega Man have turned up their noses at the game's slower pace, less demanding platforming, and er... memorable voice acting, this game has become one of my favorite games in the series. I hope I can show you why in this LP. I'm TheJayOfSpade, but you can call me Handsome Guy. Also give a “Mega Hi” to my co-commentators ChorpSaway and Nogo. This'll be a 100% LP where I collect all of the secret bolts. However, since the game is so short, Chorps and I will also be playing through the two Mega Man arcade games (The Power Battles and The Power Fighters) in this thread, so stay tuned for those as well!

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

For anyone curious, I remembered after the fact that I was specifically talking about the Swedish dub of Cyborg 009, of which there are multiple clips online if you want to experience that particular slice of history. That one man show might still be better than the VA work in Mega Man 8.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Something something Clown Man should run for congress

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The first bonus episode for the thread. Chorps and I playthrough all of the arcade game Mega Man: The Power Battles!

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
My favorite part about watching this LP is seeing just how much they recycled for Megaman & Bass and wondering how the hell it got so bad when it's following up on this.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I see Pharaoh Man (MM4), Elec Man (MM1), Blizzard Man (MM6), and (I think) Bubble Man (MM2) in the background of the Yellow Devil stage.

The sprites in Power Battles are definitely wider than in MM7, but I don't know whether that's an effect applied by the game or whether they just added some heft to all of the MM7 characters.

The music that plays during the ending is from MMX, which is a nice allusion to the X series and the most continuity we'll ever get from Capcom.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

The music that plays during the ending is from MMX, which is a nice allusion to the X series and the most continuity we'll ever get from Capcom.

You say that, but the Power Fighters (the sequel to this game) actually has a key piece in the Mega Man to Mega Man X canon.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Sorry for posting so late in the day!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Flame Sword is the first time Mega Man actually wields a melee weapon, but it's not the first melee attack in his repertoire. Even if you don't count the Charge Kick from MM5 which only hit targets you slid into, MM7 had the Slash Claw which was a straight-up melee attack.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Get ready to face some Powerful Fighters!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Mega Man's dead everyone can go home.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Mega Man made the ultimate sacrifice, killing his own franchise. May you rest in peace for 12 years now.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
That was nice to watch, thanks for playing it. I'm pretty sure the JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE parts from back when I first played it gave me PTSD, though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Thanks for the LP. MM8 was my first Megaman game, so despite it being unpopular, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Commander Keene posted:

The sprites in Power Battles are definitely wider than in MM7, but I don't know whether that's an effect applied by the game or whether they just added some heft to all of the MM7 characters.

The sprites were re-drawn wider for Power Battle so they could be more easily found on the screen, given that the focus was going from platforming through huge levels to a fighting game with only one screen per fight. Further modifications were made to the art for Power Fighters, mostly to support better shading and animations. Bass and Protoman also received changes to their art style in transitioning from 7 to PF/PB, but that was mostly to make them fully playable characters instead of NPC/Enemies with specific attack patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Oh wow. Those kid-designed robots. They're all so good! How can they have not used Teacup Man?

• Locked thread