Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
If Cloud USB1 wasn’t a thing (and even Ultra Cross Slash with combat is virtually useless against tougher opponents) I’d be reluctant to recommend even Omega Drive. Could make due with Barrage or something if combat must be used for some reason. The state of NE damage and the combat school in general is a sad one. I’d expect the new JP 6* combat to be great but we’ll see once it’s released.

Banner 3.

Zack’s CSB is, as far as we know, gone forever after this banner so if you’re on the fence about pulling that might be something to consider. There won’t be a wind chain up for grabs for six months and even then it’s Alphinaud’s magic wind chain.

On the other hand since we started with 5* lightning magicite wind will be one of the last elements needed if that’s where you’re at. And of course Cloud’s stuff will be constantly available since he’s a popular protagonist.

The gen1 chains are pretty much all gone and done outside of lucky banners after this fest which might for example affect your banner 4 pulls. Rikku’s CSB is in my opinion worse than Tidus’ CSB especially considering how strong Tidus himself is and how weak Rikku is. However if you don’t have Tidus’ chain already it’s very likely you’re not getting it anymore.

Since being worse than Tidus isn’t exactly a rare position to be in Rikku CSB is of course a great thing to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Snow’s csb is fine, as is Snow himself. It’s the weakest chain and his ice skill is weaker than others’ but it gets the job done.

Snow also has the ice radiant shield (usb), a lifesiphonable last stand (bsb1) and a vessel of fate buff (bsb2).

His dive is miserable which is not uncommon for chain holders.

Problem is Laguna has the 2.0 ice chain that gets released later this week. Laguna has an excellent dive, has a great 5* ice ability and of course has the better chain.

Does that make Snow bad? I don’t think so. Just means Laguna’s the better deal but A Snow Is Fine Too.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

A lot of people seem to consider banner 4 the worst fest banner or even an outright bad banner. Let’s see.

Two chains even if the other is Snow’s, two Teedus 6* relics and Squall’s absurd asb which is also an ice sword.

Looking at the 5* selection there’s two more ”6*” relics in teedus and squall bsb2s. Their LMRs are excellent and the glints great. Squall’s will see more use once usb2 is out(lmr+glint+usb2 with sss is murder).

Moving down Snow’s bsb1 is.. an ice armor and a lifesiphonable guts.

At the rock bottom we have Rikku’s meh bsb and the garbage LMR which is literally + 10 atk.

Seems good to me. I’d pull if I didn’t have half of the banner already.

E: I agree that it’s not the best ice banner of course since 75% of the banner is waterstuff

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 2, 2018

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I like the banner for new players because it has the hone free Squall BSB2 and the rest of his incredible kit alongside Teedus relics who is the best damage dealer in the game.

You can’t pick Squall BSB2 from AA and gems cost real money which not everyone is okay using on a free to play game. That bsb select costs 30 bucks which is the price of a few entire games from a steam sale. His kit is entirely repeats from last fest, that much is true.

Tidus ASB and GSB were released after last fest and usb has recurred very little.

But let’s leave it at that. Sometimes the dual element banners line up for you and sometimes they don’t.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Good review. Ashe BSB actually isn’t on the banner oddly enough.

A bonus reason to pull here is that earth is needed against the first 5* magicite and lightning the immediate second. That’s why I kind of want to go in for a fourth pull but hopefully I can control myself.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

ASBs are incredibly underappreciated. I'd assume their stock will increase greatly once people get to use them. The downside of ASBs is that an en-element is basically required or it's just an OSB that costs more bar.

Someone asked what the next good place to pick up holy relics was. The FF1 WoL banner is great if it's still up. If not unfortunately it's probably the upcoming FFT banner with Ramza USB2 and Agrias USB2. Or Marche USB and TGC OSB at banner 2. All the event banners that we know of are not good for holy and the next fest is the same. The events after the fest are the same with nothing for holy until the Edward magic chain fest banner as a Christmas present.

The well has literally run dry for holy.

We'll probably get some random holy pickup which should be better but who knows when we'll get it and if it's filled with Basch and Pecil garbo again.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Then you’ll never draw relics for any of them and get Steiner USB instead

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

You can use hastega against Ixion now too. The worst thing about dispel is the removal of haste.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

A restaurant owner murders a horse

Or a sub 15 Ixion without a blink using hastega instead.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Hey, I don't have Tifa's LMR and Bartz didn't even use a soul break

You can sub in any good healer for Elarra, Ixion dispels regenga anyway if you go without blinks. Tifa is the real deal but any other dps works too though I find it hard to believe anyone is stronger than Tifa at earth right now. That ASB chunks half of Ixion's health off by itself. It literally does 44,9 % of its health worth of damage and if I had Tifa's LMR I wouldn't even bother with the USB

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Kind of just beating a dead horse at this point.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

SolitaireD knows what he’s talking about. Though he is leaving something out.

Event banners are indeed 100% focused on relics for nutorments with no regards to 5* magicites. It’s plain as day and admittably it makes sense. Want synergy for FFIV? Pull on a IV banner.

This is made worse by a lot of people straight up ignoring the torments because the hardest difficulty is literally whale only territory. It is absolutely off limits for someone like me and if I were to go deep enough on one realm to beat it I no longer have mythril for the other ~15. So gently caress them imo.

However DeNA did release elemental pickup banners and stuff like ability double pickups to gear people up for magicites.

We can’t tell if those are coming to GL but I’m fairly confident we get them. It’s difficult to plan for them since we can’t tell what’s going to be on them and when they’ll come. It’s strange to lose the JP foresight.

What FR said about physical holy USBs being limited to three users is also true. I guess Ramza can join them as a fourth soon. Unfortunately it’s not even limited to holy. How many users have good physical ice usbs? Squall, Laguna? Laguna is ideally your chain holder too. Physical water is strong as hell but it’s just bartz, teedus and the ninjas. Physical earth? Magic earth, water, wind, holy? Magic ice is just Rinoa and Ysayle for now too. Meanwhile at DeNA headquarters another fire USB is being made. On a banner with a new dark mage USB that no one asked for.

Probably intentional but terrible design nevertheless.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Zurai posted:

You are greatly underestimating the variety of options which will be available to you.

I was talking about stuff that exists now since it was in response to a 4* magicite fight. Guess it was easy to misinterpret since the rest of the post was about JP stuff.

Fister Roboto posted:

I finally pulled it off. All 4* magicites sub-30.

Ramza has Shout++
Raines has BSB
Larsa has BSB and USB
Agrias has enholy SSB and OSB
Orlandeau has OSB

That's right, no damaging USBs. It all relied on having just enough dps to skip each scripted Black Cauldron so that Larsa's astra would block the interrupt at the start of the next phase. Then I needed Ramza to recast his BSB as soon after the dispel as possible. That was probably the hardest part, I had a lot of failed attempts where he finished casting a little too soon, or way too late.

And then just having enough dps hinged entirely on Raines and Agrias getting their procs off, so I'm pretty much never going to be able to replicate this. But that's OK because magicite crystals are going away next week.

Really, I'm just glad I won't have to rage pull on the FFT banners now.

Well done. Not easy to sub 30 with that relic list especially since there's no OK for critfix.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Cloud is good but not great. Not having Snowspell Strike or LM2 really hinders USB2. Also if it isn’t clear the chase will never break the damage cap because of its microscopic multiplier. It’s just a flavor text.

I did try to combine usb1 and 2 but the results were not worth the effort of using both.

Maybe it’d be different with a chain. Can’t test that.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

https://youtu.be/REjo6hgXieI

Video of Cloud and Bartz comparing their wind game.

Initially there’s no question but once the USBs are up Cloud finally does slightly more damage. Per hit. Because Bartz has quickcast and should still have a higher dps.

Cloud being slow and using a 5* ability also means you won’t usb asb in a sub30 run without external help. In that run he gets 4x HQC from Elarra and it’s still not even close.

But yeah Cloud is good but he’s no Bartz, TGC, Squall, Tidus etc.

I wish I could do some testing with a chain but gacha did not relent.

If someone wants to see it I can take a video of USB1+USB2 action too.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Ace BUSB seems good. It’s an odd one for sure but we can break it down to parts.

Enfire
Damage boost
”Three uses of a 4 hit chase” and Quickcast 2

Five turns seems about as much as you’d get from an EX mode anyway. The +blk is better than +mag boosts. Then it has the heal on top.

Heal’s good too, kind of a weird choice since you’d like to run him in a party of mages and most of his other stuff screams front row. This one doesn’t.

It’s not super pushed but seems a bit better than our current stuff.

Jack’s is just a Decil clone in fire it seems. Not into it, lacks the glint to reapply bubble though admittably you don’t hurt yourself with samurai skills.

Rem USB2 is revolting
Deuce USB2 is great RS healing but nothing special in 2018

thanks for the fire relics DeNA.

Thanks for the JP relic posts Hogama, this time without sarcasm.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Parasol Waddle Dee posted:

Did Discord die really hard just now?

EDIT: To keep this in topic, I'm actually considering diving MARACH for a clear on DWhale Nutorment. This is dead real.

That sounds good. Exactly the reason for a legend dive - to help you clear something you otherwise wouldn't be able to. If you want to beat that content and diving Marach gets you there, go for it.

The more common legend dive criteria of "have good relic, will dive" is a good place to start but I'd look at the bigger picture to avoid eventually having fifteen dived fire users.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

We had some goon/good clears with the recent fest and FFT torment.

A lot of our Discord people beat the Fellstar 350 weapons for crystals and rosettas saving Jenova from their wrath.

Parasol Waddle Dee and me mastered controlling time with ??? Zeromus grabbing that sweet music track.

ETB and Beasteh smited ??? Cuchulainn with holy power and Beasteh even did it in less than 30 seconds getting all of the rewards. PWD is very close to a clear with his Marach-including team so we have more coming.

Go us.

Let’s see if we’ll get a clear for the FFV torment next. The challenge will be finding good non-Bartz damage and buffing.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Basically everything from last fest to next fest is mediocre or bad (with a couple exceptions), and banner 1 of the next VIII event is completely nutso. Laguna chain and a bunch of great stuff for Rinoa, Quistis, and Squall. Even at the BSB level it has Squall BSB2.

Can we stop with the all event banners are suddenly bad meme. Everything except XII (Vaan USB2 etc) and X (We made Jecht fire since it's a rare element and his dark legend dive makes him unique) are fine banner 1s to pull on.

Event banner quality has not suddenly skydived and it was fine before. If anything there less new relics than previously (like this 10/10 slam dunk both banners IX event) but anyone can look at a banner and see that they have this poo poo already.

E: Current IX-2 is realistically a stretch for a slam dunk because of the weak LMR and missing GSB section but it has surprisingly good BSBs and a ton of elemental relics

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It's not even that all banners are bad, it's that we got about 3-4 months of absolutely bonkers banners in severe rapidfire, culminating in the last fest, and then banners went back to the normal "good" with only the really experimental poo poo (see X) stinking it up proper.

What were these bonkers banners in rapidfire? The last hyped one I remember was Cinque USB and the coming T0 banner is about as good as ”The moneycinque” too.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Starting from November, we had Marche USB, about a month later was FFXII with Ashe USB/Reks USB/Vaan USB, then Christmas Fest (which kind of sucked), Onion Knight USBs, Orlandeau USB, Kingdom Hearts, 3rd Anniversary Fest, Vayne/Larsa USB, Cinque banner, Barbariccia event, Summer Sun Festival.

About half the year we had significantly ludicrous banners about once a month if not more frequently, and then our baseline evened out to the standard again.

It's good to remember that plenty of those bonkers banners were also triple good 6* banners. IE Marche USB banner, while good for its time, literally was still a 3x6* and one of them was Agrias1. Orlandeau's banner had Alma's USB on it, in a similar fashion to the upcoming FFV banner having Lenna2. Cinque had Rem OSB, while a good complimentary relic definitely not what you're pulling for. OK God Banner does grind everything else to dust with its relic quality for the time released though, no question about that in my mind. Nothing can compare, probably ever. It was and still is the best banner ever released for its time.

We have three months between summer fest and the spring fest. The IX, V, VII, T0 and VIII are of a similar quality which should allow use to meet the once per month criteria.

Anyway, the reason I jumped on the mediocre and bad banners claim is because it scares away people who just play the game on bus to work and use their favorite dudes. Kind of lovely when you're told you can't pull for three months if you ask me. Veterans can do whatever they want.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Getting heavy use from his best soul break, the SSB. I used my legend dived Alphinaud in my sub 30 Tiamat (consistent) farm. Dude was also in my team when I beat boundless Zeromus EG last fest. That should be a true testament of its use if you consider 4* magicites joke difficulty content. Can't really imagine what could possibly happen that he wouldn't be on my XIV torment crew. Using SSB of course.

Radiant Shield is one of the best effects in game and since it comes with a buff you can jam him in any team forever. Dude can contribute in any team in Onion Knightish fashion with WHT access and heavy multiplier summons for quite a few elements. Heavy multiplier means you need less buffs to reach maximum potential which is beneficial when he is used in a non magic team.

Slam dunk dive with SSB if you ask me. BSB is okay.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

There’s not much to be gained reviewing the new 6*s. All of them are excellent as long as you have users for them.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Joining the meme CT clear crew.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Now you know what the JP player SolitaireD meant with this being the time frame a bunch of JP players jumped ship. At least the worst is almost over with 5* magicites around the corner.

GL master race getting the improved daily pull rates months ahead of schedule was a pretty good way to make things more interesting meanwhile.

Still having fun myself despite everything being trivially easy. Except D??? torments which are plain impossible. I guess I always liked evaluating banners more than playing the game. And there's more to consider with evaluating than ever before.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Did Ozma who I hadn’t bothered with earlier.

Alphinaud ssb
Yuffie bsb2, lmr
Elarra usb
Tidus csb, bsb2, lmr
Shelke -

Water team with alphinaud and shelke because water is the one element where i have a chain and bsbs, and of course Yuffie and Teedus’ bsb2s are actually insane. Deployment Tactics wasn’t absurd against Ozma because he doesn’t do a lot of heavy aoe all of the time and the buff does almost nothing with full synergy. However I chose him over Bartz because having hastega on a non healer helps with dispels so I don’t have to choose between healing and using haste. Unicorn main for astra.

For the fight itself I thought it made more sense for this setup to eat the berserk instead of activating the counter. Ultra cured the berserks and proceeded to tank and spank. This is the only phase with high damage so Alphinaud was able to compensate for Yuffie and Teedus setting up shop.

Unicorn for phase 2. Heavy damage to get the gently caress out of this phase ASAP.

Chill and charge SB bars in phase 3 while slowly beating him down.

RW to break physical immunity in phase 4.

Phase 5. Setup and all out damage after third turn heal. Used final rw to revive Tidus who got hit by ultimate death. Elarra got the next ultimate death but it was too little too late for the floating marble.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Always pull for your favorites. Need encouragement?

Celes usb has no known recurrance with viii things being on that banner 2 again.

Celes’ spellblade ability double works for six 4* magicites. Everything on Quinoa only works against the ice weak Tiamat. She pairs up great with Bartz since your support core apparently is physical anyway.

Serah isn’t supposed to compete with Ysayle, they work perfectly together.

A 6* dupe isn’t the best, if it even is there, but it’s a 6* wind weapon you won’t mind having two of. Even then there are four great discos left.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

DeNA likes your money so they chance of another paid USB selection is 100% barring the game shutting down or something. Christmas or maybe black friday are the likely suspects.

Celes does want that LMR too though. But if money is on the table I guess you could just buy it too.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Keep in mind that the gift of foresight also comes with the curse of foresight. If you always look ahead everything on the plate right now will always look weaker in comparison. Saving for half a year only to find out that what JP as at that point in time is even more powerful is a fool's game to play. Besides we have our own good stuff too. This week we have the incredibly hype "Quinoa" VIII banner. Why is it hyped up? First of all the pure value, it inexplicitly has five 6* relics instead of the four we're used to for events. The primary reason of course are the relics themselves as you could have a 14 6* banner with Greg USB1/Tyro OSB etc garbage relics and it wouldn't be exciting at all. Let's check it out.

Rinoa is the star of the show and this is when DeNA decided Rinoa should be able to compete with Locke and Bartz for the "most relics in game" trophy.
Rinoa in general is a top ice mage with a great black magic damage boosting legend dive slightly hindered by a weaker chance-for-QC3-with-BLK LM2. LM2 is still great if you don't have any casting speed increasers in party but with mages Allegro con Moto is always on the table and a lot of healers are packing some form of cast speed boosts. She gets a new ice Brave USB, an ice/earth ASB, init enice LMR, doublecast BLK LMR and a glint with BLK rank damage boost and high quick cast. A what USB? Braves are a new variation of USBs and are not supposed to be a new tier of power. Without going to much detail your attack gets replaced by a command that gains power when using certain abilities. With enough power you can activate it for a free OSB.

Brave USBs especially for mages are a bit of a mixed bag. Comparing to USB1 you have the same en-ice but instead of a magic boost you have straight up BLK damage boost and instead of the busted rank chase you have the brave mode overstrike cast. Buffing damage is better if your magic buffs are in order and the chase is obviously better with chains. But this wasn't supposed to be a comparison anyway, the SB is great and ice magic isn't that common. Excellent stuff for magicite and the realm torment.

ASB is a triple hit for ice.. and earth? Yes, Rinoa has to help earth with the problem DeNA created for themselves with 5* magicites being split to physical and magical and magical earth being an empty void with a confused lonely Maria in the middle. As was mentioned earlier Rinoa's legend dive boosts black magic damage and not just ice so there's no problem with the earth move. A huge relic for two magicites and the realm torment. 6* ice thrown weapon. This is the only relic on this banner that provides non-ice damage. In addition to ice damage of course.

Glint has a special effect that gives a 15 second high quick cast and a black magic rank boost. Yet another way to gain more cast speed for her. Combine with the init enice LMR and this is literally a USB for half the SB cost. You can have a usable off element Rinoa too with the glint and doublecast LMR. Excellent.

The LMRs are excellent. Both of them. Init ice is strong as hell with early damage or with glint and a doublecast is a double cast. Once again great relics for 5* magicite and torment.

Quistis finally gets some new stuff and a good legend dive.
A USB, Glint and a LMR. Gone is poison, if we acknowledge it even ever existed, and the teach becomes a realm support. She also finally gets a legend dive giving her init haste IC3 which is the best possible LM2 for a realm support.

USB gives the party haste, hp stock 2000 and a 30% atk/mag/res buff. Doesn't sound very exciting and admittably isn't but it's still a great relic for the D??? torment. If you don't care about the stupid torment it's fine as a third CT party buff or something.

Glint has a 30% stoneskin and proshellga. Once again something you'll want for the D??? torment because there aren't enough slots for all the WHT buffs. Not very good elsewhere.

LMR is doublecast BLK so once she's done supporting she can join the hurting. Nice to have but not very essential.

It should be noted that while Quistis seems less exciting than the other stuff she's an extremely valuable character for the D??? torment so either you'll love to have this stuff or it's worthless to you. Decide for yourself. At least she's no longer poison magic. Poison is not even an element.

Squall is a familiar face being a top tier ice spellblade.
He gets no new relics here but he's a top damage dealer with what he's got already. The recurring relics are USB2, BSB2, Glint and LMR.

USB2 is an evolution of his BSB2. Enice, atk boost and a chase that gains a bonus hit and bonus crit chance every time you attack with spellblades up to 8. The reason it is better than BSB2 is the strong initial damage from Snowspell Strike when the chase count is lower and the lack for needing a doublecast CMD1 to go off faster. A huge relic for magicite and torment. 6* ice sword.

BSB2 has been on every fest and VII banner for over a year and for a reason. It hits like a truck and saves you from honing SSS. Buildup power with CMD1 and let loose the dogs of war with CMD2. Excellent for magicite and torment.

Glint gives a enice with stacking and damage. Initially ridiculed and for a reason but gained a lot of value with the glint buff, introduction of his USB2 and bosses getting ridiculously resilient. Ice light armor. Great but Squall's no Cloud.

LMR is init enice and starting the fight hammering eniced Snowspells is great.

Laguna is an ice machinist with an excellent legend dive.
Doublecasting a six hit ability is a pretty big game for a chain holder. Dude gets no new relics either but we get his CSB and BSB2 on this banner.

CSB is a 2.0 chain giving the usual ice field buff, ramping chain effect and a 50% attack. Laguna is one of the best chain holders in the game with his ability access, relics and legend dive. Massive relic for magicite and very good for torment.

BSB2 is a filler hone saver bsb that serves as the 1/11 nutkick of the banner. Enice with cmd2 having machinist instant cast 2 which can be chained with a real ability to kind of save hones but it's just not worth it. At least it's somewhat serviceable.

So one big frost whammy after another with maybe Quistis slowing things down if you don't care for the torment.
I highly recommend pulling on this banner.

But... as always seems to be the case with VIII we should look at the next incredibly similar banner. The next event that should be around Christmas is the exact same except:

Instead of Squall's USB2 it has his ASB.
Instead of Quistis' LMR it has Selphie's USB2.
Instead of Squall's BSB2 it has Selphie's BSB2.
Instead of Laguna's BSB2 it has his LMR.

Ignoring dupes the big gain is a healer USB on the same banner. Loss of Squall BSB2 is rough but it's a fairly common dupe for most players. Squall's 6* swap is a wash. If you have the BSB2 it's better to have BSB2+ASB instead of BSB2 and USB2. Laguna's LMR is imperil ice proc and works great for him.

Well, all I can say is that if you can't beat 4* magicites I absolutely would not wait for that banner and if you only care about 5* magicites the wind one should be released approximately at the same time as that later VII banner. The VIII torment, however, is going to be released this week and Christmas is far away if that unmastered 240 torment will haunt your dreams every night.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Whale mail, huh. Let's see what else it has.

quote:

Phase 1: One guaranteed Legend Materia relic! Duration: 5:00 PM 9/21 PST (1:00 AM 9/22 UTC) to 4:59 PM 9/22 PST (12:59 AM 9/23 UTC)

Phase 2: One guaranteed Overstrike Soul Break relic! Duration: 5:00 PM 9/22 PST (1:00 AM 9/23 UTC) to 4:59 PM 9/23 PST (12:59 AM 9/24 UTC)

Phase 3: One guaranteed Ultra Soul Break relic! Duration: 5:00 PM 9/23 PST (1:00 AM 9/24 UTC) to 4:59 PM 9/24 PST (12:59 AM 9/25 UTC)

Okay, so the luckies are one guaranteed with the rest being ssb+ most likely which differs from JP's pools. Ouch. USB is still a must pull, OSB... probably got better because of how weak overstrikes are (still a bad idea) and LMR became just a gamble for 25.

quote:

Phase 1: 5:00 PM 9/24 PST (1:00 AM 9/25 UTC) to 4:59 PM 9/26 PST (12:59 AM 9/27 UTC) Notable new relics: Maria's Arcane Overstrike, Red XIII's Chain Soul Break, Rinoa's Ultra Soul Break

Yeah the earth banner's first. Doesn't tell us anything new about it. JP had Larsa's USB. Maybe this is where Bartz went instead. Who knows.

quote:

Phase 2: 5:00 PM 9/26 PST (1:00 AM 9/27 UTC) to 4:59 PM 9/28 PST (12:59 AM 9/29 UTC) Notable new relics: Ultra Soul Breaks for Terra, Onion Knight, and Faris Cloud's Arcane Overstrike relic returns!

The artist formerly known as banner four is here. I'm not sure who Faris Cloud is but that person is getting his ASB back. No news here either, final missing disco was Elarra USB. Could be anything.

quote:

Phase 3: 5:00 PM 9/28 PST (1:00 AM 9/29 UTC) to 4:59 PM 9/30 PST (12:59 AM 10/1 UTC) Notable new relics: Celes's Arcane Overstrike, Serah's Chain Soul Break, Rydia's Ultra Soul Break Tidus's Arcane Overstrike relic returns!

Alright, with one disco info missing we can safely assume the remaining one is Celes' USB because her ASB debuts here. The swapped relic is likely to be Bartz ASB and they probably swap his glint and LMR for Teedus' ones too.

quote:

Phase 4: 5:00 PM 9/30 PST (1:00 AM 10/1 UTC) to 4:59 PM 10/2 PST (12:59 AM 10/3 UTC) Notable new relics: Garland's Arcane Overstrike, Firion's Ultra Soul Break, Ramza's Chain Soul Break

Nothing here except they forgot they already released Ramza CSB last fest. Last two discos were WoL ASB and Decil USB. Could be anything instead of those again. Personally I'm expecting DeNA's faithful cash cow Orlandeau to make an appearance here.

quote:

Phase 5: 5:00 PM 10/2 PST (1:00 AM 10/3 UTC) to 4:59 PM 10/4 PST (12:59 AM 10/5 UTC) Notable new relics: Shantotto's Arcane Overstrike, Prompto's Chain Soul Break, Kain's Ultra Soul Break

JP Banner 1 gets demoted to banner 5. No news. One missing disco was Shantotto USB which is likely to remain since she gets new stuff here.

quote:

-Autumn Feast Using Feast Tickets, you'll be able to enter dungeons in Autumn Feast and earn all kinds of orbs along with tons of EXP and gil. Also, a Gigantuar that drops special rewards for each dungeon will show up! Be on the lookout in the third round of battle! From 5:00 PM 9/24 PST (1:00 AM 9/25 UTC) to - 4:59 PM 10/10 PST (12:59 AM 10/11 UTC), three Feast Tickets will be sent to your Item Chest daily at 5:00 PM PST (1:00 AM UTC), so be sure to claim them!

Orbfest which we expected for last fest too is finally back in a ticket-limited form. Good.

Think that's it for everything we weren't absolutely certain was happening.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

A reasonable person waits for power creep to do 5* Quetz.

A slightly unreasonable person waits for Stone Press to break Savage mode.

An unreasonable person tries to break savage with the non elemental OK OSB but it’s too weak.

A total madman gives OK +30% sword damage RM to hit over 10k with his weak rear end OSB.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Since the supers are removed from the pull pool next RoP my plan for this one was to get all of them now. I succeed beyond my wildest imaginations.

Literally Bartz ASB and 16 rosettas. While that "haul" pales in comparison to what a lot of folks get one mega relic is easily worth 85 mythril. USB lucky was King and Ace which is amazing for realm synergy, T0 is one of my no disco realms. Or was.

Moving on, these dumb magicites. I realized I actually, factually have an earth OSB in my Gladiolus +fire sword I've been using for ages so I could do away with the mostly unreliable OK memes and build a non-joke 5* physical lightning magicite team.

OK USB, LMR
Elarra USB
Tifa USB2, ASB
Bartz USB1, BSB3, ASB
Gladiolus OSB

The best support in game, the best healer in game. The best, or at least one of the top3 earth DPS in game with an ASB and a massive Butts. + earth gear on both slots for both of the DPS.

Easy, right? Well, I recorded one of my clears while farming the remaining flying eels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLKx5TCHZuw

Sure it's not a flawless performance but it's pretty hard to do a flawless 15 minute fight. A 15 minute mobile game fight that you're expected to farm somewhat to get all the benefit out of it.

I would not recommend doing this content without an elemental chain. Holy moly. Look at how loving tanky that rear end in a top hat is, Tifa gets in eight (8) ironfists and ten (10) critgarbos and it's not even close to being enough.

Gladio's OSB when not critting has some trouble breaking five digits for savage removal if you get a low roll so if you were expecting to use the much weaker Stone Press on a character without en-Earth then get hosed I guess. Cloud USB's +30% damage boost might be barely enough.

I'd target chains for your pulls if you ever want to clear these without a headache. Or just ignore they exist like a sane person.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

So I hear a fest is coming, maybe even as soon as a few hours. I have some banner reviews for you... or rather JP player SolitaireD does since I'm a lazy bum. Allof the banners are good but especially don't sleep on banner 1 for earth magic since it's ultra rare to get. Another big consideration should be Elarra USB on banner 3 for people missing it which also has OK USB3 that does earth and water magic damage.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/114492-final-fantasy-record-keeper?search=fantasy%20festival

He's yet to do banner 5 but knowing the dude it'll be up before the banner comes.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Zurai posted:

Yes, two ancient relics (one of them an SSB and the other pretty outdated at this point) and an indeterminate third relic is definitely "a ton of really good relics".

gently caress off with that ”only a ssb :smug:”. You know (or should know) well enough that Edge’s SSB2 is one of the best end game relics in the entire game and is completely unattainable for the current player base.

Rosa’s USB isn’t outdated for the fight either and it’s not like IV has a ton of top quality USBs to begin with. Look at the USB select choices for IV.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Wanna share my transcendent Yiazmat kill since I took the more rare full party path.

Full party because I live for the challenge. Well, actually because I didn’t have any of the ”free” solo combos and didn’t want to hella hone two Dire Heals for Raines or dive people just for gil.

A wild Minfilia, Relm and the water people.

Minfilia bsb
Edge bsb/usb
Yuffie bsb1/bsb2/gsb/lmr
Tidus csb/bsb1/bsb2
Relm bsb/usb

Coasted with chain and bsb commands until the final phase where I used the enwater bursts and started to spam abilities.

Minfilia was overwriting his single stat buffs with bsb commands. In retrospect some other higher MND bsb users would’ve been better but I saw Minfilia first and at least that relic got a single use now.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

The 3rd anni banner isn't popular at all with vets because it's full of dupes but if we have some new players it's worth a consideration. Zack's chain is top notch, Orlando's ultra is insane, Cloud's ultra is foundation you build cloudtron on and Orlando's OSB is still fine. The burst selection is excellent and will save you from honing abilities for quite a while. The rest of the stuff is great too except Noctis' LMR and SSB which are just not worth using. The stray Onion Cape is odd but it's magical once you get blessed by OnionGod discos.

There's a reason it's a dupefield for us.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

TGC's awakening is "only" as insane as the rest of the good ones, poor guy. Orlandeau's relics aside not the strongest relics on that banner despite S E V E N D I S C O S. They did hamstring Rem with Machina too so maybe this will be a recurring theme.

Anyway. DarkHolykindaearth God Cid realizes that not everyone on the team can play support. Someone needs to man up and hurt the bad guy. Massive cast of holy men and women:

WoL is great damage

Firion has flavor holy
Pencil is a support
Ceadore is a support
Leo is a support
Celes has flavor holy
Steiner laughs in Tidus i guess he's a spellblade though

Beatrix is great damage

Basch is a support
Curilla is a support
Minfilia is a support
Horsefart is a support or something i don't know
Agrias is a support
Delita has flavor holy

Ramza is a support who got fed up with this poo poo and went damage (but has a support dive)
Marche is... kind of a support but actually damage

It really increases the value of pure damage dealers when majority of the relics you can pick up trade damage for utility partially or completely. Orlandeau is a tier above everyone else even with "just" usb and Marche can be used to push weak ultras like Agrias' to perform better.

Marche's relics should be on this banner.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

This post is going to be a grown man complaining about a final fantasy themed slot machine so skip if that's not something you care about.

I liked the 3* magicite era, the 4* magicite era and the especially the beginning of nutorments and 5* magicites. Yes, the latter two were hard as loving balls but it really meant something when you got them done. You couldn't beat them as they came out but wasn't that the point? To make progress in small steps once you got handle of the strategy and got better gear? I beat D??? VI torment and that felt pretty drat good as someone who doesn't spend money on this game. We had a good thing going where the content was extremely rough but you could plan your pulls and make progress here and there with new relics. It was a stable time.

Then we learned about 4th anniversary and Awakenings. Awakenings will change everything. Essentially the game will reset at that point and there will be two kinds of keepers. Those with awakenings and those without. Some relics will still be usable, few even good. But the awakenings are not just your average power creep, they are strictly on another level. Not spending any money on the game means operating with finite resources. You obviously want the Awakenings so that means maybe you cut back on myth spending until they are out. Six months back then, four and then some now. So now it's just waiting for them to come while pulling only on absurd steal deals.

Now let's pretend it's March and we're at 4th with awakenings on the table. We look three months ahead. Aether Lenses. I have this huge loving pile of mythril but do I pull on a banner with one awakening, chasing a single relic, when I could save three more months and go for banners with 2-3 awakenings per giving me doubled or tripled rates to hit and get lenses on top for free USBs? Is there an end to this? How absurd a deal will the JP fest six months ahead then cut us?

Let's look at this from another angle, exploring the current hardest content of nutorments and the options available. I feel like there are two possible courses of action:

1) Coast to 4th anniversary poking at the torments with full understanding and intent that the real push is going to come with awakenings much later.
2) Pull heavily now and actually attempt to clear them.

First let's see what hand option one dealt us. We have awakenings. We're doing nu torments with this insane new power that this content was not supposed to handle. They are getting obliterated. Trampled. Crushed like ants under a grown up's steel-lined boots. I can't have fun doing this. What's the point of beating an opponent who can't even fight back?
Option two lets us have fun with current content but we're left heavily disadvantaged when awakenings come and basically cannot compete with the next tier of content that's about to come. All you can think about is starting another account from scratch to rebuild a mythril pool to pull from. I can't do this either. I have no interest in being that much disadvantaged and don't have the time or will to put in the effort to start again.

You're hosed either way if you ask me. Many people will probably be fine with the options available but I'm not. We always had future sight but it was never this impactful. Yes, you could skip this VIII event banner and pull on the next one for marginally better odds. That was actually fun and interesting pull planning. This is on a whole another level.

This time future sight screwed us from an entire tier of content, a period in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

JP's current fest is five banners with triple awakening each, well except one. Triple rates compared to 4th + Aether Lenses. 8 discos per banner.

Banner 3 has FOUR awakenings.

This is a joke.