Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cowcaster posted:

i remember alphinaud's deployment tactics being good for having bosses beat themselves to death but even that has been supplanted by other sources i think

i just want more buff SBs because i'm incredibly limited right now and it in turn limits my team choices

Garnet BSB2 is my only dual ATK/MAG buff, at all

imo if SSBs aren't going to be on banners anymore due to being outclassed let people buy them directly for mythril/gems or start giving them out as event/raid rewards/drops so they can waifu chase or just get those +10 stats

it just sort of sucks to think whole chunks of the game's animations will just be forever inaccessible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MarquiseMindfang posted:

i just want more buff SBs because i'm incredibly limited right now and it in turn limits my team choices

imo if SSBs aren't going to be on banners anymore due to being outclassed let people buy them directly for mythril/gems or start giving them out as event/raid rewards/drops so they can waifu chase or just get those +10 stats

it just sort of sucks to think whole chunks of the game's animations will just be forever inaccessible

what are you talking about? they just did an event during fest where you could pay 5 mithril to get the worst SSB in a realm. they're not gone forever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MarquiseMindfang posted:

except, there's all sorts of BSBs and USBs that buff these days, which are what you should be aiming for. adding ssb's back into the pool for that reason is just making you get shittier versions of what's the status quo at this point

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cowcaster posted:

except, there's all sorts of BSBs and USBs that buff these days, which are what you should be aiming for. adding ssb's back into the pool for that reason is just making you get shittier versions of what's the status quo at this point

i didn't really ask for them to be added to the pool, i'm saying if they're that outclassed that even the devs consider them old news, give them an easier, alternate way to be gotten. you're not going to break your power curve or game balance by doing that but you will let people attain a (relatively low) baseline level of power

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That's what the Library of Guidance or whatever it got translated to in Global is for.

eelmonger posted:

Did they stop doing because of massive player outrage? Or will we be in a situation where DeNA can just decide that arbitrary (i.e. really good) banners have the bigger pool?

No official word, but given that it started in the fest as BSB/LMR+, then dropped to "loleverything" in the first FF6 banner, then "what are you talking about, the off-banner pool is BSB/LMR+" in FF6 banner 2, the very loud outcry from FF6 b1 probably contributed. There were no announcements or anything about what the off-banner pools would be, we only found out by checking the actual relic pool button in the relic draw screen.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

The only two I can think of are Edge and Noctis's "don't call them USB's" SSB's.

Arc's SSB2 is better than some healer USBs in that it's an instant-cast Curaga-tier medica with party-wide pblink. It's not as good as the "standard" medica USB, but still solid kit. I use it in my Ixion teams.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

What were these bonkers banners in rapidfire? The last hyped one I remember was Cinque USB and the coming T0 banner is about as good as ”The moneycinque” too.

Starting from November, we had Marche USB, about a month later was FFXII with Ashe USB/Reks USB/Vaan USB, then Christmas Fest (which kind of sucked), Onion Knight USBs, Orlandeau USB, Kingdom Hearts, 3rd Anniversary Fest, Vayne/Larsa USB, Cinque banner, Barbariccia event, Summer Sun Festival.

About half the year we had significantly ludicrous banners about once a month if not more frequently, and then our baseline evened out to the standard again.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

KataraniSword posted:

Starting from November, we had Marche USB, about a month later was FFXII with Ashe USB/Reks USB/Vaan USB, then Christmas Fest (which kind of sucked), Onion Knight USBs, Orlandeau USB, Kingdom Hearts, 3rd Anniversary Fest, Vayne/Larsa USB, Cinque banner, Barbariccia event, Summer Sun Festival.

About half the year we had significantly ludicrous banners about once a month if not more frequently, and then our baseline evened out to the standard again.

It's good to remember that plenty of those bonkers banners were also triple good 6* banners. IE Marche USB banner, while good for its time, literally was still a 3x6* and one of them was Agrias1. Orlandeau's banner had Alma's USB on it, in a similar fashion to the upcoming FFV banner having Lenna2. Cinque had Rem OSB, while a good complimentary relic definitely not what you're pulling for. OK God Banner does grind everything else to dust with its relic quality for the time released though, no question about that in my mind. Nothing can compare, probably ever. It was and still is the best banner ever released for its time.

We have three months between summer fest and the spring fest. The IX, V, VII, T0 and VIII are of a similar quality which should allow use to meet the once per month criteria.

Anyway, the reason I jumped on the mediocre and bad banners claim is because it scares away people who just play the game on bus to work and use their favorite dudes. Kind of lovely when you're told you can't pull for three months if you ask me. Veterans can do whatever they want.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Anyway, the reason I jumped on the mediocre and bad banners claim is because it scares away people who just play the game on bus to work and use their favorite dudes. Kind of lovely when you're told you can't pull for three months if you ask me. Veterans can do whatever they want.

Yeah, I get you there, and I'm in firm agreement.

Just pull. Don't worry about if it's "the best" use for your mythril; if it sounds cool or it's for a character you like, just pull. Especially if you're new - you got a lot of mythril in the mines.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At the very least, Always Pull For Your Waifu.

Sometimes it pays off.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

At the very least, Always Pull For Your Waifu.

Sometimes it pays off.

The bad news is, and take this from someone that really likes Agrias too, that USB is not good: an additional layer of imperil with no bonus damage after making two attacks just isn't good.

The good news is . . . Well, they might maybe someday buff it and the other USBs that got slapped with that, like they did with the early chains . . . ? :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i see it as basically an improved version of her very dated burst and i’m fine with that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LornMarkus posted:

The bad news is, and take this from someone that really likes Agrias too, that USB is not good: an additional layer of imperil with no bonus damage after making two attacks just isn't good.

The good news is . . . Well, they might maybe someday buff it and the other USBs that got slapped with that, like they did with the early chains . . . ? :shrug:

Yeah it's not spectacular. On the other hand, Agrias is literally my only source of holy imperil, so it's nice that she can do it exceptionally well.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I got Ignis' USB off the crystal tower dollar pull... this seems pretty incredible for fire teams.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

PneumonicBook posted:

I got Ignis' USB off the crystal tower dollar pull... this seems pretty incredible for fire teams.

Jesus, what luck. Yeah, Ignis is fantastic and is basically "Marche-but-better" tier which means it's in the top class of all USBs really. I believe it works for both Magic and Physical too.

e: yep, row based. grats on your Fire multitool, dive immediately

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 24, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just went through my inventory and vaulted every weapon and armor that doesn't have some kind of elemental boost or status resistance. I'm also starting to hold on to 3* and 4* weapons from pulls that have boosts. Saved at least 50 slots. At this stage of the game it's almost trivial to reach the stat softcap even with a lovely weapon.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just went through my inventory and vaulted every weapon and armor that doesn't have some kind of elemental boost or status resistance. I'm also starting to hold on to 3* and 4* weapons from pulls that have boosts. Saved at least 50 slots. At this stage of the game it's almost trivial to reach the stat softcap even with a lovely weapon.

Uh, not gonna have too many armors left, chief.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've got plenty of 6* light armors and a couple robes and heavies, not to mention all the hats and bracers and shields with boosts or resistances :shrug:

e: exactly 49 pieces of armor with some kind of non-RS bonus effect to be exact. I could probably stash the elemental resist ones too, since they don't stack with resist accessories.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 25, 2018

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Anybody actually use the lower tier characters? I get a surprising amount of use out of Steiner

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Yeah it gets kinda boring using the same top tier characters all the time. I've had Onion Knight stapled into my team permanently ever since I got both his USB's. Sometimes it's fun to use your favorite characters even when you don't have top tier stuff for them.

Except for Steiner, he's garbage

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Froghammer posted:

Anybody actually use the lower tier characters? I get a surprising amount of use out of Steiner

What even qualifies as a lower tier character? A lot of characters can go from useless to situationally great with a single relic.

Like I never used Edgar, then I got his USB. And now he's dived and rad.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pander posted:

What even qualifies as a lower tier character? A lot of characters can go from useless to situationally great with a single relic.

Like I never used Edgar, then I got his USB. And now he's dived and rad.

Nine is a nerd from a game maybe five people played, and his BSB isn't even coded as a Dragoon-type attack to work off of literally every other piece of his kit. And yet I got his USB and now he's competing with Luneth for my best Wind dragoon.

Meanwhile, Cloud is great and busted and I keep hearing people gush about how he gets all the cool new toys and the game really has a boner for him... I have his three BSBs and nothing else, and he's pretty poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

KataraniSword posted:

Nine is a nerd from a game maybe five people played, and his BSB isn't even coded as a Dragoon-type attack to work off of literally every other piece of his kit. And yet I got his USB and now he's competing with Luneth for my best Wind dragoon.

Meanwhile, Cloud is great and busted and I keep hearing people gush about how he gets all the cool new toys and the game really has a boner for him... I have his three BSBs and nothing else, and he's pretty poo poo.

crossslash makes him pretty nuts, I hit fenrir for 25k x 4 with the 5* wind spell blade ability; I'm sure with his USB2 he's even more loving nuts, the chase is crazy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
the top tier characters are the ones you have relics for

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

MarquiseMindfang posted:

the top tier characters are the ones you have relics for

I have Fran's LMR

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Generalissimo posted:

I have Fran's LMR

I'm so sorry. There's a support group for it.

Fran's not included.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm ready for more torment!

FF5 is a pretty weak realm for me, so I doubt I'll get much headway into DWhale. I do still have some decent if dated stuff. Galuf's SSB (enfire, party crit=50% and hi regen) is good, Sheepsong on Krile, and of course Greg's CSB. The only worthwhile SB I have for Butz is his OSB, but I gave him a dive anyway.

And yes, that is a rod Gilgamesh has equipped. It has +fire, and with Hailstorm and his CSB and the magicite bonus he can still hit the soft cap.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Nephrite posted:

I'm so sorry. There's a support group for it.

Fran's not included.

I have that thing too. I shouldn’t be surprised I pulled it, Fran likes to break stuff. Bleh.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

And yes, that is a rod Gilgamesh has equipped. It has +fire, and with Hailstorm and his CSB and the magicite bonus he can still hit the soft cap.

Just out of curiosity, have you done the math or have any empirical evidence that using a rod with +fire is better than using the highest attack weapon even though it breaks the soft cap?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Benthalus posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you done the math or have any empirical evidence that using a rod with +fire is better than using the highest attack weapon even though it breaks the soft cap?

I've done the math myself, but I'd just refer you to the damage calculator. It's a lot easier than figuring it all out in your head and it's usually pretty accurate!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm ready for more torment!

FF5 is a pretty weak realm for me, so I doubt I'll get much headway into DWhale. I do still have some decent if dated stuff. Galuf's SSB (enfire, party crit=50% and hi regen) is good, Sheepsong on Krile, and of course Greg's CSB. The only worthwhile SB I have for Butz is his OSB, but I gave him a dive anyway.

I thought element chains were useless in the new torments cuz of the realm chain??

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I thought element chains were useless in the new torments cuz of the realm chain??
Not necessarily useless, just superfluous for the damage component. That said Fister Roboto is more likely using it for the +ATK buff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Realm chains are only +30% base damage, while 2nd gen elemental chains are +50% base damage and a +50% stat buff. Also you only have 3 uses of Bonds, while I can keep using Greg's CSB forever. I also have nothing else useful for him to do with his soul juice, so it's not a waste of that. I'm only using fire damage, so the fire chain is better in every way.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 26, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Debuting Orran and featuring Knight Delita's wardrobe! Everything new's on banner 1, as usual.

Orran Legend Materia posted:

Orran LM1: Heal + 15%
Orran LM2: Instant Cast 3 & Haste at the start of battle
Orran LMR: When using White Magic abilities, 25% chance to cast h25 heal to party

Banner 1 posted:

Delita's Vitanova [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Holy/Fire/Lightning/Ice Overflow physical attacks

Delita's Armor [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/Fire/Lightning/Ice physical attacks, Critical = 75%, Quick Cast & Hero King's Blade to user
Hero King's Blade: After exploiting weakness, chases with 4 single-target Holy/Fire/Lightning/Ice/NE physical attacks
Orran's Papyrus Codex [USB, +10 MND] - ATK/MAG/DEF/RES -70% to all targets, Magic Blink 1 & Instant Cast 1 to party
Alma's Dreamwaker [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, 100% Dark Stoneskin & 2000 HP Stock to party, Instant Cast

Ramza's Diamond Shield [CSB, +10 ATK] - Activates Holy Limit Chain (150) & 50% Holy Field, ATK +50% to party

Delita's Zwill Straightblade [Glint, +10 ATK] - Weakness Damage +30% & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast

Orran's Model [BSB, +10 MND] - ATK & RES +30% and Critical Damage +50% to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> Single-target h55 heal & Instant Cast 1
Defend -> h25 heal to party

Alma's Staff of the Magi [BSB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & Magic Blink 1 to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> Single-target h105 heal, Instant Cast

Delita's Golden Helm [LMR, +10 ATK] - Spellblade Damage +25% with Sword equipped
Orran's Battle Folio [LMR, +10 MND] - When using White Magic abilities, 25% chance to cast h25 heal to party
Alma's Wizard's Rod [LMR, +10 MND] - When using single-target healing abilities, 27% chance it comes attached with Magic Blink 1
Ramza's Brigandine [LMR, +10 ATK] - Max ATB at the start of round & Instant Cast 1 at the start of battle

Banner 2 posted:

Orlandeau's True Excalibur [USB, +10 ATK] - 12 single-target Holy/Dark critical physical attacks, Critical = 100% & EX "Sword Saint" to user,
EX "Sword Saint": ATK +50%, Knight & Darkness Ability Double
Agrias's Save the Queen Divine [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 random Holy/NE physical attacks, Imperil Holy, Divine Purge to user
Divine Purge: Inflicts minor Imperil Holy after using 2 Knight abilities
Ramza's Vigilante [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, En-Holy, Quick Cast 1 & Truthseeking Mercenary to user
Truthseeking Mercenary: After using Holy abilities, Quick Cast 1 & chases with 4 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks
Marche's Burglar Sword (TA) [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, En-Holy and EX "Speed Combo" to user
EX "Speed Combo": ATK +30% & High Quick Physical 1 to front-row members after using Knight abilities
Ovelia's Zeus Mace [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, RES +100% & Last Stand to party, Instant Cast

Agrias's Excalibur [BSB, +10 ATK] - 4 AOE Holy ranged physical attacks, Imperil Holy, Burst Mode
Attack -> 2 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, Sentinel
Defend -> 2 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, RES +40%

Ramza's Kiyomori [BSB, +10 ATK] - En-Holy to user, ATK +50% & Haste to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> 5 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, 0 SB point
Defend -> Extra Large SB charge to user

Ovelia's Golden Staff [BSB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & 30% Stoneskin to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> Single-target h105 heal & Esuna

Orlandeau's Flame Shield [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Knight & Darkness abilities
Agrias's Jade Armlet [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Knight abilities
Marche's Bronze Helm [LMR, +10 ATK] - Knight Damage +20% with Sword equipped
Ovelia's Celebrant's Miter [LMR, +10 MND] - 25% chance to Dualcast White Magic abilities

Hogama fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 27, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Meh about Orran, was hoping for another mage. And banner 2 seems to only have 4x 6*s... :colbert:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Those are two really drat good banners. Delita is saved!

Sad about Olan though. A white mage support? Ehhhh

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Would've been nice to see Olan be a bard/summoner, I don't think anyone in FFT can use 6* summons except maybe Alma. Certainly no one is geared for it, whereas the realm already has two healers and plenty of support units between Ramza, Mustadio and Montblanc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

With Delita's SBs all having a holy component, but his legend dive and materia all being spellblade-based, it would be really nice to have a holy spellblade ability. Celes would like it too.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Does FF5 have any speed tech to speak of beyond Sheepsong? I barely got sub-30 on the 280 Torment and (as with FFT) I can't bring along Relm/Aphmau/Noctis without shooting myself in the foot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Krile CSB is the only thing in the realm that can speed up the party up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

so we're in for six months of this torment nonsense huh

boy i can't wait to get to the actually lovely realms