Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The worst part about Hobgoblin's identity is that it was the least interesting thing about him. One of the best things to happen to Spider-Man in a long time, certainly one of the best villains, and he was ruined because of who he was under the mask.

I also didn't even want Hobgoblin to be revealed as any of the suspects. By the time they got around to saying who he was, he had grown too cool for any of the suspects to be anything other than a letdown. There's probably a lesson in there for keeping a mystery going too long, especially in comics when it can be dragged out for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DMorbid posted:

Should probably note that Spider-Man vs. Wolverine (the one where Ned Leeds dies) is not the same book as Wolverine vs. Spider-Man (the Erik Larsen one) because even I'm getting confused here. :v:

Which one is where Spider-Man murders a woman and then skips town?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That's Spider-Man vs. Wolverine. Wolverine vs. Spider-Man has the wall of exposition that was posted earlier, and Savage Dragon Fin is also in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In that, Spider-Man attacks Wolverine out of nowhere because he thought Wolverine had died and someone was impersonating him. So clearly he just attacks him. Then berates himself for always jumping in and attacking first without asking questions. Basically the entire comic is just Peter nonstop talking about how terrible his life is and how dumb he is. Fun comic!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Priest asked DeFalco who the Hobgoblin was, and DeFalco (who didn't get along with Priest even before he got taken off TASM) lied about it being Leeds. Priest then went on to write the Spider-Man vs. Wolverine oneshot, in which Leeds is killed by the Foreigner's men. After that, Priest told Peter David to reveal the Foreigner as the real Hobgoblin, but David argued that didn't really make sense and that Leeds was the only one who it could realistically be. So, because Spider-Man vs. Wolverine had already been drawn, they posthumously revealed Ned Leeds to have been the Hobgoblin and moved on with Jason Macendale as the new Hobgoblin.

Priest's stories about his time as the Spidey editor are wild. A lot of folks didn't like him because not only was he seen as a Jim Shooter guy (because he was, that's why he was going by Jim Owsley), he was young and there was, to put it politely, possibly a racial component. Priest is simultaneously grateful to Shooter for such a huge opportunity but at the same time regrets being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

If you go back and re-read the Hobogoblin stuff it's so obviously Kingsley too which makes all the pivots funny in hindsight.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Reading Avengers Twilight at the moment and I loving hate whenever they kill Spider-Man because it’s always so effective.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Y'know, that's something I was thinking about the other day. Back in "The Other," JMS and pals established that as part of the whole spider-totem deal, Peter can auto-resurrect if he's killed.

That means in a bunch of the old What Ifs and other stories where they ace Spider-Man for whatever reason, he'd get back up a couple of days later with organic webbing and bone stingers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I continue to get my Marvel subs the day before they come out. Ultimate Black Panther was really good. I think I see where it's headed and I'm on board.

All three of the Ultimate books have such great art in different ways.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forgot about the bone claws

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

Y'know, that's something I was thinking about the other day. Back in "The Other," JMS and pals established that as part of the whole spider-totem deal, Peter can auto-resurrect if he's killed.

That means in a bunch of the old What Ifs and other stories where they ace Spider-Man for whatever reason, he'd get back up a couple of days later with organic webbing and bone stingers.

That wasn't really an auto-resurrect, though. Like it wasn't a regular day and then he goes up against Shocker and gets murdered by him and comes back. The whole weird disease and chowing down on Morlun and perhaps even MJ in mortal danger can be seen as playing a part. That's also assuming he wasn't going to transform anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You'd come back to life if you got murdered by the Shocker of all people tbf

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does it mean anything that the time between Ultimate Spider-Man #2 and #3 is shorter than #1 and #2? First gap was 6 weeks, this gap is 5. I'm hoping it can be whittled down to four between each issue but beyond the speed of actually creating the thing I'm not sure what else determines the week Marvel picks for releasing new issues of stuff.

Endless Mike posted:

You'd come back to life if you got murdered by the Shocker of all people tbf

I dunno, I feel like God could give you a mulligan but it's also equally likely She'd ask if you're really sure you want to go back after suffering a humiliation like that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

Does it mean anything that the time between Ultimate Spider-Man #2 and #3 is shorter than #1 and #2? First gap was 6 weeks, this gap is 5. I'm hoping it can be whittled down to four between each issue but beyond the speed of actually creating the thing I'm not sure what else determines the week Marvel picks for releasing new issues of stuff.

#3 is on March 27, #4 is on April 24, and #5 is on May 29.

On June 5 they'll have four Ultimate titles going and I'm sure they'll prefer to have one a week at that point. But it will all be dependent on how fast the work is done as is always the case.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

D'oh, I didn't even think to check if the schedule already existed for future issues. Shows how long I've been out of the weekly release game.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

D'oh, I didn't even think to check if the schedule already existed for future issues. Shows how long I've been out of the weekly release game.

I keep track of my pulls on the Comic Geeks app. It's very handy to know what's coming out each week. I'm sure there's many apps to track but I like this one as it has a pretty well used review/rating system as well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This new Hawkeye/Black Widow story seems fun. I like those silly doofuses and their wacky spy antics. It's framed like a serious story, though. Weird.
Nat is really rocking her outfit.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Immortal Thor stays not missing, can't wait for the Chad Hammer

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Literally laughed out loud at Symbiote Spider-Man #1 and Peter David taking the opportunity to go back to the last issue of the original series he wrote before getting kicked off. Even has a box telling you to go find Spider-Man 2099 #44 in the back issue bin. This is like the third time he's gone back to those issues to revise stuff Marvel hosed up in issues 45-46 and I never get tired of it.

I think Spidey 2099 has about 3-4 concurrent and different realities at the moment depending on who is writing him, with more to come (there's some 2099 event coming this summer).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey all, I'd like to give a physical comics subscription a go - partly because the new ultimate universe feels like a good jumping on point and I enjoyed reading the first couple of Ultimate Spider-Man issues digitally (after I've felt exhausted trying to jump into the House of X stuff that feels like it's being constantly crushed by the weight of all its own exposition and character histories). Can anyone recommend a good subscription service in the UK? I've signed up to Forbidden Planet, but their postage costs seem a little pricey.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Grumbles posted:

Hey all, I'd like to give a physical comics subscription a go - partly because the new ultimate universe feels like a good jumping on point and I enjoyed reading the first couple of Ultimate Spider-Man issues digitally (after I've felt exhausted trying to jump into the House of X stuff that feels like it's being constantly crushed by the weight of all its own exposition and character histories). Can anyone recommend a good subscription service in the UK? I've signed up to Forbidden Planet, but their postage costs seem a little pricey.

Is there a local store within any reasonable distance? They almost certainly have a subscription service, and also could really use your support.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is there a local store within any reasonable distance? They almost certainly have a subscription service, and also could really use your support.

TBH my local is a forbidden planet

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Will they let you do in store pickups? That way you don't pay postage and you get the social benefits of going to a shop

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
While the Space Commie Android story remains my fav of the Alien: BW&B tales, "I am a donut" shoots into my top 5 fav Alien lines with a bullet.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

While the Space Commie Android story remains my fav of the Alien: BW&B tales, "I am a donut" shoots into my top 5 fav Alien lines with a bullet.

It's was great, very good dark comedy, and mean.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I was bored and decided to flip through the Marvel Preview my LBC threw in my bag and how the gently caress are we not talking about Hickman writing a Doom on going Valeria Richards as his co-star?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Air Skwirl posted:

So I was bored and decided to flip through the Marvel Preview my LBC threw in my bag and how the gently caress are we not talking about Hickman writing a Doom on going Valeria Richards as his co-star?

It's a one shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

It's a one shot.

Oh, well poo poo. Still...

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

The Grumbles posted:

I use Ace Comics for my sub here in the UK. They are brilliant. You generally get your comics on release day or the day after at latest.

You can decide if you want them sent first or second class post so that may save you some cash if you're happy to wait a bit longer.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Looks like Vulpes is writing an X-book now, too!

I'm excited to see what it looks like.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

I like when someone has a favorite supporting character like this and brings them in after being not used in years. Waiting for the day a writer remembers Chat from Marvel Adventures Spider-Man and brings her properly into the 616.

I believe she actually showed up in one of Anya's Spider-Girl series, actually. Given it was IIRC also by Paul Tobin, that makes sense.

And then she was never seen again.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The last page of Moon Knight #30 is totally a Leverage homage, right?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Web of Spider-Man seems a bit pricy for what it is, but it was fine. From the content, it appears 2024 will be good for fans of spider clones and 2099.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wut

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
picard.gif

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think Marvel is missing the point a little...

Anyway, in FF, this isn't a complaint, more of an observation, Ryan North is buffing the hell out of Sue Storm, right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people have been continuously buffing sue storm for about 30 years at this point

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sue has always been OP. North is definitely coming up with more creative uses for all of the FF's powers though.

But yeah, turns out the ability to make invisible force fields anywhere at any time of about any size is really powerful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Or is Gologle talking about Sue hitting the weights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sue once used her powers to crack a celestial's armor.