Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In this time of celebration we need to make sure everyone remembers the real heroes: the straights. We must pay homage to them for daring to engage in the greatest challenge of all: "treating people like human beings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I am curious, as a new X-comics reader.

We all have that sort of cultural osmosis of Xavier vs. Magneto. But in no adaptation that I'm aware of have they really gone into Xavier making moral compromises. This is something exclusive to the comics and I'm wondering just how common it is? Is it something fans remember precisely because it is so rare or does him doing ethically questionable things happen on the semi-regular?

Basically, which is more common, Magneto acts just straight up evil, or Xavier does something evil/morally dubious?

Xavier does morally dubious poo poo all the loving time. Either intentionally so or unintentionally so which a later author makes into text. (i.e: having a crush on Jean, faking his death, etc.)

Xavier kind of has the writing problem where people approach him as "the good saintly figure... so it's dramatic and rare where he goes past the line" except every single author does it so rather than being shocking and surprising it's more surprising when Xavier isn't a complete shitbird.

The adaptations usually go off the public perception of the character so "Good saintly Xavier" tends to get played up there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 4, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every day I think about how the Shonen Jump/Viz app is a billion times better than anything Marvel or DC have put out for reading comics. $2/month, everything is clearly archived, even things that you can't read online, the only real limit is 100 issues/day (which requires you to sit down and read manga nonstop for hours to hit.)

I would murder for a Marvel app that was that easy to use even if it was cost effective. Just "I want to read the Krakoa Arc" or whatever and it's nice and clean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Here's the admission everyone wanted about movie synergy in regards to this move. It came directly from Feige.

https://comicsxf.com/2024/04/16/msmarvel-kamala-khan-spiderman-feige-ziglar/

Why kill her off for synergy but keep her powers the same?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Wait were people assuming he wasn't possessed? They're not going to Parallax Blade.

e: I realize after posting it that they are in fact Parallaxing Blade in a way but I meant specifically the "hero goes from 0 to world-destroying villain in one issue" way

They did it to Bishop once.