Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

That mean Gwenpool is going to be in Squirrel Girl?

Or they're bringing the book back like they did with Wasp and Iceman, but with North writing instead of Hastings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the idea that John Byrne thinks Marvel was RUINED FOREVER when Avengers #1 came out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not saying the book won't be good, but what demographic was chomping at the bit for a Shatterstar solo title?

Like, the Domino one, I get. Zazie Beetz was great in the new Deadpool movie, so synergy, but Shatterstar?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

What's that steel chair shaped spotlight in the sky?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGGZaCdYIuU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covok posted:

Last I checked, it's like 39.5% Marvel, 35% DC.

It used to be much more skewed in Marvel's favour, didn't it? (I'm sure DC used to be in the 20s) Did Rebirth really help that much?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Tamaki's Laura is actually a bit more of a middle ground between old New X-Men/X-23 solo Laura and All-New Wolverine Laura. Still has all the development of the latter but is way more terse and less snarky than Taylor's take. It's an interesting shift.

I dunno, I can hear a LOT of sarcasm in all of her lines in the pages X-O posted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... uh... Doc Ock's getting a new solo title (maybe mini?)

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-the-superior-octopus/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Jennifer and Foggy?

Matt Murdock is a lawyer. Or are you talking about him being the mayor now? I think that's the status quo? I don't read Daredevil.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...That footnote joke physically hurt me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Doom definitely doesn't have a law degree because if he did you know he'd insist on being called Dr. Doom Esquire.

He has a doctorate in Law from the University of Doomstadt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Goons were right 100% about X-23, it feels like a continuation of Taylor's book.

Tamaki is real good and she can absolutely do lots of differing tones. I think people got worried because of the covers and the fact that her She-Hulk book was about trauma survival, but it also had cute stuff like Jen's coping mechanism being watching baking videos on YouTube.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covok posted:

I kind of like how all three of these What Ifs remind us that Peter is the One True Spider-Man and everyone else (except for Miles because he's awesome) is a loving jabroni.

And also that the one where the woman gets bit, she's too weak and sensitive to actually fight people. :rolleyes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Look, just give me a Dazzler/Jem crossover and I'll be fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

As per Chip Zdarsky, Spider-Man is now canonically a Brooklyn 99 fan.

Nine-nine![/Terry]

It's a pretty easy choice, really. B99 is about people who use great power with great responsibility to help others when in uniform, but are massive fuckups in their private lives.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They've also retroactively made the digital-first Cloak & Dagger book that's been coming out into part of this digital line.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Jeph Loeb show up at the Iron Fist panel dressed like Mr. Miyagi or something? is he having a mental break down?

He was Daniel from Karate Kid. The only person who could get away with that at a panel would be Ralph Machio. And not the Marvel one. (And I wanna bet he doesn't do that at fan and press events for Cobra Kai)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

The amount of Spider-Man books coming out in October is insane. Like, more spidey u books than the the rest of whats being put out combined it feels like. The redesign of spiderlings costume on the spider-girls variant specifically so you can see the cleavage of a teenage girl is pretty gross too

The variant by Amy Reeder, you mean? And it just looks like she's drawing it like it's made of fabric and not vacuum sealed on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nilbop posted:

It's not really worth looking at unless you want to see an iteration of She-Hulk that only existed for that short run, where she's characterized entirely by her problems reacting to her trauma. And also she's got big glowing green scars.

Hard disagree, I really loved that run. Maybe it's because I dislike the 'make Jen in Hulk form just like the Big Guy/Savage Hulk' approach, but I was very prepared to dislike Tamaki's run for that reason, and then it tied into the whole gamma powers as a writ-large means of externalising mental health stuff by having it be her response to trauma and giving her her own grey Hulk form. And there was a good dose of the humour that a good She-Hulk title should have, with a whole plot about baking YouTubers and an issue where they went back to the Jen-breaks-the-fourth-wall conceit for a blind date.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

SWORD is a ton of fun, so Al Ewing just knocking it out of the park again. I pray it leads to a ton of Peeper speculation!

Ewing doing cosmic is great, because he just fuckin' goes for it. His run of Ultimates ended with a massive battle across like 4 different tiers of reality (and had Black Panther literally fighting gods alongside Galactus).

site posted:

The king in black tie in you mean?

It was cute, and the silent conceit was done well, but it was very lightweight. On the other hand, the Immortal Hulk proper was really good, and kinda makes me want Ewing to do more with the FF.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Edit: ^ I'd say yeah, the set up is basically "Felicia and her crew are doing a job when Knull attacks" and you're not really expected to know much about the greater plot than she is, barring a cameo from what I assume is a supporting character from Venom's own title.

Endless Mike posted:

I borrowed it since it's apparently in Comixology Unlimited despite being brand new, which is interesting.

If you mean Black Cat, I think that was a mistake because it's now not even showing on the series page, so I think they're trying to fix it

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 16, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

I loved how he handled Ben Grimm's Judaism, actually I've tremendously admired Ewing's engagement with theology and faith throughout this entire run. Charlene also remains one of my favorite current Marvel characters.

The moment where Joe asks "You keep callin' me Hulk?" was so good.

If not the FF itself, give Ewing a Thing miniseries or solo book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

He's also great at keeping building off little things in his previous works. Like for example in that god fight in Ultimates, Black Panther is using the White Tiger's tiger god which is a concept he started playing with a full 4 years earlier in his Mighty Avengers.

He can go the other way too, bringing big concepts from his other work to add texture. In Valkyrie he had a story about Death being terminally ill and had the Living Tribunal explain that the Green Door from his Hulk run is partly to blame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When are we getting to the fireworks factory Thieves Guild, Jed?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

Teeves Guild

Kelly Thompson tried really hard not to go this full-on with Gambit's accent in the Rogue & Gambit book from a couple years ago, and I respectfully disagree with her choice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Begorrah.

Bozhe moi!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know Psylocke put them in an impossible position, and the compromise they hit on was probably the closest you could manage without the luxury of, say, being a movie that can just cast a British-Asian actor as her, but have they managed to make anyone give a poo poo about Revanche?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

No. But they also don't really hang out much either.

That was actually a cool thing in Thompson's Captain Marvel when she took it over. Rogue and Carol both being pretty emphatically NOT friends, but not like "grr, must fight" rivals either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a possibly similar note, I just went through Chip Zdarsky's Peter Parker run (plus the Waid OGN that he based off) and how do people feel about Peter's sister being a for-real thing now? I know a lot of people don't love the Parkers being CIA/SHIELD agents but can mostly ignore it because it never really matters, but Teresa kinda throws that stuff front and centre. Plus it seems like Chip's got a thing for retconning siblings, considering he apparently made Mike Murdock real as well?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I like Teresa. I hope other people use her.

Chip kinda zig-zagged this, but her dating Johnny Storm seems like it'd be the perfect set-up for a little running soap-opera bit and let her peek out from Spider-Man titles a little.

I also really like the idea of Jameson being in on the secret identity changes almost nothing about how obnoxious he is regarding Spidey, just the tone of that obnoxiousness.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bananaquiter posted:

What benefits does SHIELD offer in terms of life insurance? Were his parents making minimum wage? I feel like Peter should be entitled to some money. :colbert:

They keep saying they were CIA, but they talk about them saving the world with ray guns from Hyrda and poo poo, and when Teresa contacts her old handler and finds her birth certificate it's Nick Fury Sr, so not really sure why they're not outright just said to be SHIELD?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Marvel did make a romance manga about tennis school. Since it's title is "15-Love" it's literally one of the first thing you see when browsing Unlimited's full list of titles

It was one of their periodic attempts to try and make Millie the Model work again, wasn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Didn't Leah do a book with Millie in it, like the first Mary Jane book or something

You'd think someone could make something from Patsy and MJ, you'd figure they'd have been up for the same gigs and shows a bunch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I was surprised that the reading guide at the end of each issue indicated that the event was ending in December after KiB 2 but it turns out they just didn't include January, February, or...possibly later, I don't know.

More likely they had no idea if the book was getting pushed back or delayed by the pandemic. A bunch of upcoming Hulk issues have been shunted back a month or so, and TNC's Black Panther run had it's ending pushed back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't Regent show up for a hot minute in Avengers and was basically a complete void of personality?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Looks like a mid-season Kamen Rider power up.

Rhyno posted:

The rumor was the alt version of MJ was going to land in 616 so they might have been alluding to that plan.

They keep flirting with the idea of giving her powers and then chickening out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

On purpose because her name is annie-may

Did they give an in-story reason why it's not Anna-May? (And good lord, Parker-Watsons, have the spine to make a decision and promise the other Aunt she can get the next kid)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Uhh no? Tbh I'm not well versed enough in spidey to know why that's a thing that needs to be justified

MJ's aunt who lived next to the Parkers is called Anna. So I think they were going for the kid being named after both mom and dad's aunt, except the first part isn't quite right and it seems weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Miles definitely knows he's from a different universe now.

Yeah, I just caught up with Ahmed's run and also read Spider-Men 2 for the first time and it's weird how Bendis just takes as read Miles knowing when it's clearly the messier choice. I'd have been fine with basically ignoring the "original" Miles, to be honest, especially if it was just a way to kill Aaron again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Runaways one was... I'd have preferred if the guy was well-meaning but incompetent instead of 'let's murder this pretty co-ed to up my Q rating' evil. I feel like Rowell's gone a little too hard on the 'all adults are evil' element, which is especially weird when half the crew ARE adults now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Al's actually really good at taking these lovely event crossovers and making them work in his titles. I think the Ultimates was the closest Civil War 2 came to making Carol's side make sense, even if his answer was basically 'she's applying the sunk cost fallacy like a woman possessed'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

there's some lady stabbing an 8 foot tall Bemular with an electric sword!

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this sounds rad?