Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Comixology vanishing kinda put me off comics for a few months. I loved their guided view.

Is Marvel's digital comic reader any good? Been thinking of reading Miller Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lobok posted:

When you're in the comic it's quite good (in the middle of Miller's Daredevil myself, actually!) but some of the navigating or going back to what you want can be finicky and annoying.

That's good to hear, thank you.

If you're interested, I really recommend this book Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism

Here is a sampling of quotes to see if you'd interested in more or not: https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?95071-Frank-Miller-on-Batman-Superheroes-Etc&p=2799047

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did anybody here ever read Supreme Power from the 2000s? As far as I can recall, this and some Civil War issues were the first comics I ever read. It probably contributed significantly to my taste in comics. I like stories about the ethics of superheroes.

Also I'm pretty sure it was written by the Babylon 5 guy (never seen it, heard it's great) but for some reason on Marvel.com it says they were written by Stan Lee.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't paid attention to Marvel in forever but I'm doing a run of wikipedia and reddit and etc. to try and catch up on what's been happening with X-Men.

quote:

After saving a number of mutant children with the team, Victor would be beamed up to an orbital Orchis station his son was using as his base of operations, where he would learn that Graydon had been traveling the multiverse killing versions of Sabretooth and bringing them back as headless cyborgs to prepare for his final confrontation with his father.[159] With the help of the Sabretooths from a few other realities, Creed would defeat Graydon, and recruit the extradimensional and cyborg Sabretooths as his own personal army.[160]

Is this as dumb as it sounds? Is it at least fun schlock?

And then "Sabretooth War" took the pretty horrific and emotional "birthday tradition" and wrapped it al up with this nonsense.... I dunno.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

This was part of Victor LaValle's Sabertooth run, which inclued two mini-series and the apparently awful Wolverine crossover. The first mini-series was pretty decent; both a character study of Sabertooth and and critique of the prison industrial complex. The second, Sabertooth and the Exiles, continued that but got a lot more comic booky by the end, as you see in that wiki entry. It's kind of a weird shift, but more forgettable than anything. Not sure what went wrong with Sabertooth War, beyond just Benjamin Percy getting involved.

Yeah, The Pit stuff sounded interesting. I might look into that miniseries if it's good and recommended. And I'll just try to ignore this other stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Sabertooth books were weirdly thoughtful and interesting explorations of Creed as a character and also the flaws in Krakoan justice; then the Sabertooth War came along and while I don't think it's the worst thing I ever read, it's got me rolling my eyes real hard at any time someone has suggested Percy's a good writer. I don't care how much you love the Hank McCoy=Kissinger gag!

Incidentally I started reading comics around the time they were toying around with the idea of Creed's redemption (Age of Apocalypse and his stint as the X-Men's live-in prisoner) so there was something weirdly nostalgic about having him be the focal point in his own story instead of the bogeyman in a Wolverine book

I've been thinking I'd like to read more comics about Sabretooth and the stuff with him as a prisoner is recommended a lot. Near as I can tell it starts with X-Men Unlimited #3 (which is always an issue directly named and recommended in the threads I've found) and I guess I'll just follow this list from there on the "prisoner storyline".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So folks were talking about the new X-Men cartoon, based on the old X-Men cartoon, and nostalgia. Somebody said

quote:

90's nostalgia in regards to the X-men comics, seems to only mean everything between 1990 and 1992. With the period from 1995 to 2000 in particular having quite a bad reputation

Can any X history buffs fill me in on any of this? Why is the early 90s so highly acclaimed and the late 90s so hated?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I read Sabretooth's 1993 mini and also this little series with him and Mystique. Neither really did much for me. Also having Sabretooth, renowned killer and monster, constantly use the word "geek" was...offputting. I was a little worried all the stuff with him would use that level of dialogue and excessive exclamation points.

But X-Men Unlimited #3 was really good. Now he's a prisoner of Xavier's and I hope the rest of that maintains roughly the same level of quality.

The miniseries had interesting points; I just hated the juvenile dialogue. But the whole overarching idea in it and in XU3 - that he does feel emotional pain and that his attempt to drive this away motivates him more than simply being some unfeeling psycho - is interesting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-Men 28 was a really, really good issue.

Gonna bre reading a bit more Sabes then jumping into Krakoa and his 2022 mini thanks to this handy dandy reading guide
https://www.crushingkrisis.com/defi...-reading-order/

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Nice! Good ol' Sabretooth.

(From X-Men 33)

Not that I'm some expert, but the name Fabian Nicieza is new to me. I knew Scott Lobdell and others but not his. But he's the one who has done all the Sabretooth stuff I really love, including XU3 and these last couple panels/pages I've posted.

Speaking of names I know, I know the name Larry Hama from years ago. I dunno from what exactly, didn't he do some popular GI Joe poo poo or something? In any event, not only did he do the meh Sabretooth mini, apparently the Wolverine memory retcons are all his fault. I'm a TAS fan who is coming to the comics in earnest and I was just talking about it in the Comic Book Animation thread

NikkolasKing posted:

Although this reminds me of something I remember from TAS where Sabretooth, Wolverine, Silver Fox, and Maverick go to some Weapon X facility and it's revealed they have had their memories substantially altered to make everything look horrible, basically as triggers for violence. I bring this up here because at least in the cartoon it kinda implied Wolverine's memories of Sabretooth attacking Silver Fox was part of the false memories and conditioning.

But, looking at the ep again, it also has memories of Creed with his abusive father.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGfHg-Wr2w

And 'm pretty sure all of this did in fact happen in the comics and wasn't just BS.

The "Weapon X Program implanted false memories" is apparently all Hama, and most writers have ignored it since:
https://wolverinefiles.com/005-sabretooth-and-silver-fox/

quote:

, Larry Hama soon took over the reins for more than eight years of stories, adding much to Wolverine’s past. Unfortunately, Hama seemed to relish flash over substance, and his revelations soon began to contradict what had come before and even at times what he himself had written. He conveniently added the dreaded memory implant to Wolverine’s past to account for any contradictory memories, further confusing Wolverine’s already convoluted history.

Also whoever wrote that blog deserves a medal, holy loving poo poo.

Anyway, in sum, I like Nicieza, don't like Hama.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This comic coulda come out today based on that last bit of dialogue.

Also that's a real bad argument - "but he suffered a lot as a child for who he was" - since Xavier is obviously aware that the same is very true of Sabretooth as well.

In any event, Boom-Boom was a highlight of X-Men Evolution, my favorite comics-based cartoon of all time. She seems quite interesting in the comics too. So much more to read....

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

If you're okay reading Warren Ellis books, Boom Boom is loving amazing in N.E.X.T.wave

I mean, I'll read anything from anyone if it's entertaining or interesting. I've always heard high praise for Ellis as a writer. If he's a chud or something IRL, that don't mean too much to me. I got Marvel Unlimited, I'm not buying anything from him or giving him money.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HUGE X-Men Krakoa comics sale just started on Kindle. Goes until 4/29
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/c...3UG9ydCI6MX0%3D

Such fortuitous timing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So not only is there a Wolverine: Weapon X novel, there's an audiobook of it, too. I never expected this.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Wolverine-Weapon-X-Audiobook/B09GL38M87

Reading a review of it on Reddit, it sounds like it's very similar in writing philosophy to the Weapon X comic. I haven't read that either but this review also stresses how the story is less about an Action Hero/secet agent man mutant, and more about one man being utterly destroyed by a small group of morally dubious scientists.

I might try both when I get paid later tonight/get my Audible credit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am curious, as a new X-comics reader.

We all have that sort of cultural osmosis of Xavier vs. Magneto. But in no adaptation that I'm aware of have they really gone into Xavier making moral compromises. This is something exclusive to the comics and I'm wondering just how common it is? Is it something fans remember precisely because it is so rare or does him doing ethically questionable things happen on the semi-regular?

Basically, which is more common, Magneto acts just straight up evil, or Xavier does something evil/morally dubious?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rick posted:

In 2007-17 or so they have hit the Xavier thing fairly hard, either writing more compromising stuff or trying to make the character usable again despite all the compromising stuff. In the 10 years prior it was writers trying to have Magneto do progressively more evil things to undo him mostly being a hero in Claremont’s run. Then they just used him a lot less after House of M

Funny you lis that timeframe since I am reading a Wolverine story from 2008 called Original Sin. It crosses over with X-Men Legacy which I'm told has a big focus on Xavier of the time, even outside of this arc.

Anyway, I got a new question. In preparation for diving into Krakoa, I was reading the classic 20 stories recommended thing. I was most intrigued by the mention of Magneto's greatest sin and his trial, from Uncanny 150 and 200. I'll get into that in a second, but Kitty at the time had a costume with an eye mask with these big..."wings." I feel like, wasn't that a popular design for female characters back in the day? I wanna say I remember Catwoman wearing something like that in Adam West Batman, as well as other vague memories of seeing older female hero costumes with it.

Am I right to say this used to be a popular design for women costumes? Is that a thing anymore or has it been phased out? It might be sexist. I figured the "wings" are kind supposed to be like sexy eyelashes. Eye masks on men, like Robin's, are just circles around the eyes.

Anyway, this was the first Claremont I ever read. I liked it a lot. The dialogue is very.... theatrical, and I like the descriptions of everything going on. Helpful with my awful eyesight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I feel like the Xavier/Magneto dichotomy is kinda played out at this point, especially with Xavier's moral credentials being washed for a looong time now and with Magneto having fully shifted back into antihero at worst mode.

It'll be interesting to see if Apocalypse shifts into an actually viable mutant alternative after Krakoa ends or if he's gonna go right back to "Everybody should kill everybody else and keep doing it until I'm satisfied with who's left"

Well there is that Heir of Apocalypse series coming up to consider as well.

Cable has to win simply for the supreme irony, I'd think. Although I'm curious how X-23/Laura got into the running. Maybe I need to read some of her more recent stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/GailSimone/status/1770526021005226406

quote:

Gail Simone 💙💛
·
Mar 20, 2024
@GailSimone
·
Follow
I think of all the weird conspiracy posts I've seen, my favorite might be all the ones about how Marvel is FORCING us to match the movies and tv shows.

No. :)

We spoke once for two minutes last week about the animated show (to say Tom liked it). No movie talk at all.

1/
Gail Simone 💙💛
@GailSimone
·
Follow
I get that it's fun to have those discussions, it's not a big deal.

But we haven't had a single conversation, not one, about matching up to anything like that.

But we DID have a discussion about Gambit's cats.

end/

I don't understand this. What external factor would even motivate them to abandon Krakoa? There are no recent and popular X-Men movies for them to try and emulate.

Are they trying to emulate '97 at all? How would they even go about doing that?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I trust Simone on this particular bit, but plain truth is that Marvel has definitely dictated a bunch of comic book changes based on MCU stuff, or other stuff, in the past, so acting like these are just all weird conspiracy theories or whatever is kind of disingenuous. The X-Men franchise specifically is chock bloody full of these instances, the most notorious in recent memory being how every writer and editor spent interview after interview assuring us that, no no, we definitely weren't sidelining the X-Men to prop up the Inhumans, you're just all reading too much into things!...and then it turns out they were absolutely for sure doing that and Jordan D. White has to go "lol yeah that deffo happened" however many years down the line. The same thing happened with the FF around the same time where they were like "Whaaat we would never deliberately shelve those characters because of any studio mandates! What a silly thought, you silly fans!" and then it turns out yyup, that literal exact obvious thing everyone thought was happening did in fact happen. poo poo, they set things up so that Madame Web has had more comics appearances in these past three months than she's had in like three years thanks to a movie that isn't actually about the same character and isn't even a Disney production.

Which is fine, comic books are a business and it makes sense to highlight or downplay synergy as it makes sense. But you really can't then blame readers when they've been trained to be suspicious about their comics being influenced by the big movies or TV shows.

I hear they're called the Infinity Stones in the comics now, too.

Also looking over Wolverine's history, Greg Rucka's run in the early 2000s had covers which totally made him look like Jackmanverine. In fact, I've heard the X-Men's costumes at the time took a clear inspiration from the movies.

So yeah, I don't doubt it happens, just in this particular instance I was confused.

Speaking of Xavier though, I finally started HoXPoX. Kinda whatever at first but once I got to HoX 2 and Moira's stuff, I really got invested. It just makes sense. She's seen all the other routes in which one figure/one path was tried and they failed. So the solution is to combine all of them. The stuff in the far-off Powers of X future, though, doesn't interest me near as much.

Also I don't really know anything about the character of Destiny except I guess she's Kurt's parent now instead of a demon. But I always thought she was supposed to be less awful than Mystique. Specifically burning someone to death slowly is...well, about as bad as you can get, in my book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

One of the things about Xavier is that the Silver Age, when he's most unambiguously the 'wise old mentor' of the team... is also the era where he's most morally dubious. And not just stuff like being in love with Jean - that's clearly a one-off bit of weirdness before the characters were really established - but pretty much every issue he's mind-wiping people or deceiving his students. Throw in that he's working with the FBI and keeping his mutant identity secret, and he's really terrible at being the moral heart of the team.

Sure, it's the Silver Age, the comics are a bit goofier - but it's also when the character was established, and really the only time he was the unquestioned figure of authority. By the time of the Claremont era, the team's a bit older and he's not the only adult anymore, so the dynamic changes a fair bit. It's not surprising that later writers have decided to go in the direction of interpreting him as always having been a bit dubious in his methods, rather than the moral paragon that we see in the comics and movies.

And I don't think that's really a problem - it honestly makes for a nice contrast, that we have Magneto as the sympathetic villain going up against Xavier, the untrustworthy hero.

Something that never really occurred to me while watching TAS and only really dawned on me through various talks about Xavier and reading some comics myself is how very odd it is that Charles "Martin Luther King Jr." Xavier's great love is the Empress of a space empire. I thought at first maybe the Shi'ar is just an aesthetic but even a few comics reading has dispelled that possibility, they are very much about conquest and domination. To be frank, I'm not even sure what Claremont was thinking with this since "Prof X fucks off to live with this imperialist honey" doesn't really seem to match any tone he was going for. It's not like Xavier dating her is supposed to be some great moral compromise.

So it feels like he does plenty of sus stuff that isn't intended to be sus to us, but later writers were very clearly writing with an agenda of tearing him down.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

There's a story from the 90s in X-Men Unlimited I liked where Xavier and the X-Men get invited to some court event on a Shi'ar occupied Kree world. Kitty ends up mixed up with the local Kree resistance and starts sympathizing with them, Xavier tries to mediate peace, and it looks like things might end well - but then in the end Lilandra has the Kree rebels imprisoned and endorses Deathbird's harsh policies because, politically, she needs to be seen as a strong empress and keep the Shi'ar hardliners on side with her.

And it leads to Xavier and Lilandra breaking up as they finally have to acknowledge that even if there's still an attraction there, their viewpoints and positions are too different to reconcile. And I think that's kinda realistic, that Xavier could convince himself that Lilandra was a reformer and that the Shi'ar weren't that bad as long as he was hanging out with the aristocracy, and for the other X-Men, hanging out with the Shi'ar is kinda a nice vacation from being Feared and Hated - but once they're confronted with the actual ground level reality of Shi'ar rule, it's hard to ignore it anymore.

That is really interestingto hear. Thank you for the info. I guss I'm not the only one who thought it ws a bit odd.

Although, my apologies, I got a new question. I read somewhere about the "new Sinister" Or, how he was newly written. "New" might be a relative term but I've finally met him in PoX $4. When did Sinister get so...erm, flamboyant? Which wrier did that? He definitely wasn't like this in TAS.

Also, the resurrection explanation at the start of HoX 4 conflates "mind" with "soul." Xavier has a copy of all mutant minds, but souls definitely exist. Wasn't Wolverine just in Hell before this arc? When Wolverine and Kurt die, they talk about the afterlife. Couldn't their souls, their spiritual selves, still be gone and all these grown people are just very elaborate clones? I probably shouldn't think to much about this.

And so I have finished the prelude to Krakoa. Now I just have a billion other comics to read. Luckily, I really don't much like the sound of Percy's writing and so I intend to skip his X-Force and Wolverine. Also I don't care about magic so I'm gonna leave Excalibur stuff alone, too. I might come back to both at some future date but I gotta have priorities here if I am gonna try to catch up in any reasonable amount of time. The guide I'm following says Hickman's first 12 issues of X-Men are "worldbuilding." Somebody on reddit was talking about how his stuff delved a lot into intriguing issues like mutant ethics and religion. Maybe it's covered in those issues? In any event, I figure that is where I should go next.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Huh, X-23/Laura isn't even a clone of Logan anymore.
https://imgur.com/gallery/1OOijWD

Comics!

But oh well. I appreciate you all venturing with me down this path of insanity.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Excalibur is an Apocalypse book? Only a couple issues into it and his prsence and prominence is very surprising. Granted, I'm just a wiki warrior who read his wikipedia summaries way back in the 2000s or so but I never thought he had much to do with magic.

I dunno, between him and Gambit, this might be more interesting than I thought, and I'll actually enjoy reading it for X of Swords. X-Men and Marauders 1 were way better than Excalibur 1, though, IMO.

So that's the source of his very unique hair.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Jamie Braddock is cool at least.

This seems to be alluding to something I read a lot about on r/xmen, about Scott/Jean/Logan being in a throuple, which the house plans in X-Men 1 hinted at strongly. But I've also been told all these hints and implications are dropped after Hickman/"Dawn of X" stuff.

It's a strange thing - I've heard both that Hickman had the most creative idea for Krakoa, and yet also the most destructive. I've been told the early stories deal the most radically with the unique situation of a mutant society, things like mutant specific ethics and religion. (That latter part really fascinates me and if anybody knows what comics deal with it, please let me know.) Yet the Age of Krakoa only lasted this long supposedly because of editorial, Hickman wanted to kill it off sooner. What a strange combination of things, almost contradictory it sounds like.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Way of X is the comic that deals with mutant religion.

Soonmot posted:

it lasted longer because all of the other writers wanted to keep it going, not editorial.

Fair enough and thank you.

I got a ways to go before Way of X.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Hickman said in an interview that when he was pitching Krakoa regarding romantic relationships he said either we just have some hard and fast set in stone ones or everyone is loving everyone, and Marvel told him to go with the latter.

I've also heard Hickman said in an interview Emma is still involved with Scott, making it a square I guess, but this is reflected in no actual comic.

glitchwraith posted:

It's not so much that it was dropped as just never really focused on. The writers ended up just writing whichever relationship was more relevant for the plot, which for most was Scott/Jean. Only Percy's Wolverine and maybe X-Force spent any time on Logan/Jean. Other than Way of X noting a spike in babies on Krakoa, none of the books really focus on what relationships are like on Krakoa outside of the usual, monogamous-passing couples. And that issue of Way of X was heavily criticized.

Hm, interesting. Why was it criticized? I mean, making babies is one of the first laws of Krakoa, and Rogue kinda has a thing about it in the early Excalibur issues.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

I think they where all trying. Excalibur, though not everyone's cup of tea, did some interesting world building, and was apparently successful in channeling that old Captain Britain weirdness. X-factor had a really good premise, but was perhaps a little too decompressed. Duggan's X-Men has been fine, but limited itself with it's voting gimmick. Having the team change every real life year doesn't give a whole lot of breathing room for plots and team interaction, but there are plenty of fun comics sprinkled in there. I actually think the winding down in Fall of X has hurt Duggan's book the most.

New guy here and all but just from reading stuff on Reddit and such, Duggan's latest stuff seems to get the most criticism because the X-Men are killing people all willy-nilly. Not just Wolverine either but Shadowcat and Nightcrawler are (supposedly, I haven't read it) killing folks with great abandon.

My best guess as a total new reader is that, since on Krakoa the #1 law was to never kill a human. fuckin' murdering the poo poo out of people now shows how much everything has deteriorated or fallen apart. Maybe that is Duggan's intent, anyway.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 9, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair enough @ all the comments on how the killings do make sense. That's why I brought it up here, to get opinions from other fans who are reading the present comics. I'll get there myself someday, hopefully soon-ish.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On a totally different note, I bought a bunch of Krakoa TPBs off Kindle cuz of the sale, right. I bought the Event ones because it made sense. Marvel Unlimited will direct you to the next issue in a series automatically but Events have issues from across different series. Simpler and easier I figured to just buy, say, X of Swords on Kindle where it will include all the comics I need without me having to jump around.

But...Kindle Panel/Guided view sucks. I was so happy to learn it had Guided View back like Comixology did. But it looks really, really bad on my PC. It's all blurry and poo poo. I dunno why but MU's version is infinitely superior. So I've just ended up using that still, even for the comics I own on Kindle, jumping around and poo poo.

It's very annoying and I don't know why I can't just buy digital comics on Marvel's website. Does anyone else know?

Also, I've heard Marvel Unlimited does not digitally release new comics. Like if an issue comes out this month, I won't have it to read on MU right away. Is that true? If so, I'll have to actually use Kindle for those. Or, if there are any alternatives, I'd appreciate the information.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can read any series on Unlimited on Marvel’s Site.

No clue why Kindle despite buying Comixolgy could not use their much better reader instead.

Well I tried Rise and Fall of X and the issue from March still says not available for me
https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/111684/rise_of_the_powers_of_x_2024_3
https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/111663/fall_of_the_house_of_x_2024_3

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That’s cause only issues 1 and 2 have been added.

There is generally a three month delay before new stuff is added to unlimited.

Alright, that's what I needed to know. Thank you. So once I catch up, I'll have to buy from Kindle or wait three months.

Soonmot posted:

I'm sure you can do it on Unlimited, but anything I buy on kindle gets archived as a cbz now since some of my digital purchases have vanished.

I'm not sure what you mean by archived?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I also use Google to find issues or series I want. I guess that is kinda lame but I don't mind it nearly as much as a lack of continued reading, or how the reader stops working if I leave it unattended for too long. If I just leave the comic alone in a tab for a bit to come back to later, pages will stop appearing for me and everything goes black and I have to reload and start over.

Like I said though, it still beats Kindle for this so I'll keep using it.

glitchwraith posted:

As others have said, Shadowcat killing is depicted as a major shift and story beat. While I don't recall Nightcrawler killing people, at this point it's literal war with Orchis, so it neither surprises or upsets me. My issue with Duggan's current comics is closer to Rick's complaint. Because the fight against Orchis is spread out across the entire line, a lot of comics have very similar fights going on that seem to just keep going or repeating. At the same time, though, it seems to be rushing through the many lingering plots, which don't get enough time to have the appropriate impact.

Fair. That all makes sense.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm randomly reminded of one of the first comics I ever read. My grandma took me to an actual comic book store to buy comics then. It was at the end of Civil War and I didn't know what to get, i just grabbed anything which sounded interesting. or just came out. I grabbed the infamous Frontline where Cap is criticized for not having a Myspace. I remember posting about this on CBR, transcribing the relevant page for people.

What a way to start.

Needless to say the first digital comics I got around the same time(maybe a year or something later) - JMS' Supreme Power - was a lot better. I loved that short story. I think it impacted how I see superheroes and what I want out of the best superhero stories. "What does it even mean to be a superhero?" I notice classics like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen also ask this. man of Steel also was all about this which is maybe why I loved it more than some.

Anyway, just a bit of thinking back on my history with comics. A pretty rough start there that got a lot better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism

This was one of the first books I ever got several years ago now which delves into analyzing a work of fiction and its author. I thought it was extremely interesting and insightful for Miller not just on DD, but Batman and Punisher. I would highly recommend it.

But anyway, I was reminded of it while in my current X-Men and Wolverine reading. Specifically, all the discussions of idealism vs. pragmatism:

Combined with a couple really good Wolverine/Spiderman discussions from 2009 I was just reading...

NikkolasKing posted:

That is a funny thing about Comic Wolverine: it's entirely fair to define his character as a brooding loner and also as a loving mentor. There's no contradiction there for him.

I haven't read as many of his mentor stories yet but I need to get around to them. That Kitty Pryde mini is on my radar just like Wolverine and the X-Men

But this all is reminding me of how in 2009, there were no less than two separate stories of "Wolverine and Spiderman go to a bar." I was reading Wolverine #74 by Aaron and I enjoy looking up reviews of what I've read so I read a review of it from when it first came out and was told just earlier that same yere, there was this from Amazing Spiderman Extra #2

I guess maybe what makes Wolverine an idealist is he wants so badly to be that kind of "real hero" but feels he doesn't deserve it, or even that others won't see him that way.

I am wondering what Logan's and Matt's relationship is and if they've ever had any interesting talks like this?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 28, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Went in search of DD/Wolverine stuff, and was told about this.

But now I'm intrigued because not so long ago in this very thread you all were discussing how many of the comic greats worked on DD and turned out the best stuff of their career. Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and more.

But this? This was done by Dennis O'Neil, who as far as I know, is another comic great. And just like Frank Miller, is known for having revolutionized Batman. But his work on DD was totally unknown to me until this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, in terms of underrated writers on Daredevil, there's Ann Nocenti, and, frankly, at this point I'd argue Mark Waid.

I saw Nocenti on all "the Essential Reading" recs I found on Reddit at least. It's why I was confused about reading nothing about O'Neil.

The only name which came up a lot there and I didn't see here was Jeph Loeb. Lots of recommendations for his Daredevil Yellow.

Speaking of which, though, DD does look like a very convenient character to read. You just start in his solo title and follow it straight on through with maybe an occasional mini. But really you just read Daredevil issue afte r Daredevil issue. Compared to trying to keep up with modern X-Men, or even just looking at Wolverine stuff, it be a wonderfully simple task.

Although my impression is Claremont's Uncanny was like this? You just read the one book and it gave you all you really needed on the characters, there was no need to jump around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So been thinking too much about Spiderman TAS and going down a rabbit hole of different Spiderman adaptations which just leaves me with questions about the original comics I never read.

Are the Symbiotes evil? I hear there was a recent retcon where the human host made them evil, but that strikes me as weird since all iteration of Black Suit Spiderman I've seen tells the basic story of how Peter Parker, the nicest guy on Earth, starts to lose his goddamn mind when he puts on the Symbiote.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lobok posted:

The '90s animated series was the first time the symbiote saga was told as Peter being behaviorally changed by it. In the original comics there were glimpses of it being alive and the reader knows it eventually starts taking him out on patrol while he's asleep but Peter only wanted it gone after his suspicions took him to Reed, who confirmed he was host to a symbiote. It wasn't making him evil or super macho or selfish or whatever.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah in the original story the symbiote was puppeting his body to crime fight while he was asleep, which was exhausting him. After getting it checked by Reed he learned it was starting to permanently bond to him, and Peter was not ok with having a strange alien merge with his body and start feeding off it, no mater what the benefits were. After the separation the Symbiote was locked up by Reed for a while, where it developed a grudge. It eventually escaped and hid in Peter's apartment to bond with him, were while fighting his own body he eventually got to the church and used the bells to separate from it. The Symbiote actually dragged Peter to safety because his damaged body at the time was at risk of dying from such close proximity to the bells before vanishing.

Oh wow, I never had any idea this was an invention of the cartoon. I haven't read the comics myself as said but I have heard how, say, Eddie Brock wasn't really a bad guy - no saint, but certainly not evil - until he became Venom. That a host has to constantly struggle against a symbiote's nature and all that.

So I just assumed it was always canon that a symbiote fucks up anybody who tries to use it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ther are so many more of these Marvel novelizations or original prose stories than I ever thought, and so many have been adapted into audiobooks. I'm getting sucked down a rabbit hole.

X-Men and Spider-Man: Time's Arrow: A Marvel Omnibus

X-Men Mutant Empire

Daredevil: Predator's Smile. I pickd this one up since I'm in a DD mood and figured why not. Apparently mostly about Bullseye.

Then there are novelizations of important comics stories:
Daredevil: Guardian Devil I've head ithe original story is not great but it is kinda important so I might just listen to this rather than read teh comic, I dunno.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga.

Just curious if anyone here has read any of this and what they thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I liked Diane Duane's Spider-Man novelisations back in the 90s. I have no idea if this was just reflecting the comics of the time but I liked her take on Venom as an ecoterrorist.

Lobok posted:

Duane's were best overall but I thought Troy-Castro had a better handle on action and wisecracking.

I encountered Diane Duane on Twitter sometime in the last year or so and told her how great those Spidey books were, that felt good.

Also, I don't know if they're still in print but there were a couple of short story collections of Spider-Man back in the day. Had some good stuff in there. One of the ones that sticks with me was a tale of Peter being hospitalized after getting dosed with a psycho-active by Kraven and nobody believes his ramblings that someone is coming for him.

They got three of her Spiderman books on Audible, I'll look into them. Thank you both.

quote:

Jack Kirby's contract was up for renewal in April 1978. At a convention in West Virginia, Stan Lee announced that Kirby had signed a long-term contract as an artist only; he said Kirby's scripting was “imaginative but undisciplined,’ but Lee was confident that the artwork would return to form once Kirby was paired with other writers.”

But there was no new contract. Kirby’s tour of duty was, in fact, coming to an end. His latest return had been a major disappointment, to him and to Marvel. None of his books had sold as well as hoped, the reaction from readers was less than enthusiastic, and even his supposed autonomy had been undermined. “The editorial staff up at Marvel had no respect for what he was doing,” said Jim Starlin. “All these editors had things on their walls making fun of Jack’s books. They'd cut out things saying ‘Stupidest Comic of the Year... . [T]his entire editorial office was just littered with stuff disparaging the guy who founded the company these guys were working for. He created all the characters these guys were editing.” Tensions were now worse than they'd ever been in the sixties. Kirby reportedly received hate mail on Marvel letterhead, and crank phone calls from the office.

Making my way through Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. Like...what the gently caress. I've never worked in an office in my life but this seems outrageous.