Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Diet Poison posted:

Does Gwenpool's power set extend to being able to travel in and out of the Marvel Universe at will? I don't really remember the whole deal with her future self at the end of the run. It'd be neat they could keep her going with limited runs and stuff. She's approaching "so powerful it's hard to convincingly write around" levels, but so are at least 10 other heroes so whatever.

The only time we see her go to the “real world” it’s just another layer of comic book purgatory, it’s reasonable to assume since her powers don’t extend to outside of comic books she can’t use them to leave. Plus, she doesn’t want to.

And while I really enjoyed Gwenpool it ending on a meta story where she tries to prevent her inevitable cancellation but doesn’t want to become the character people expect her to be to sell books is awesome, and there’s no telling if we’d get that story if the book kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

site posted:

I mean the whole moral of the story for that arc was that even if the book is cancelled it's never really The End for her so I don't see why not

That’s also why I’m fine with Unbelievable ending where it did. The whole final issue was about Gwen coming to terms with her story ending, since she realizes that she’ll have other stories down the road and it’s okay if things end for now. It’d be weird to immediately keep going after hammering that home.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I always took it as Hulk never deliberately picked up a human and folded them into an envelope, while people probably die indirectly from him all the time.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Speaking of smart losers, is the point of Spider-Geddon just to sweep all the cool Spider-People under the rug, while worst character find of 2018 Sexy Doc Ock remains?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Every decision Ock has made in this book just makes everything worse as everyone tells him he’s wrong. Miles would have wrapped this up in an afternoon with more Spider-People than he started with.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Last I checked, Doc was still super dead.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Finally got a chance to read last week's Immortal Hulk and all of Absorbing Man's recent appearances make me wish he had his own series.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Immortal Hulk is also the scene of Tony's worst crime yet.

All lies, this one panel retroactively redeemed all of Tony's past sins.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It had its ups and downs, at least for me. The writing's always solid but whenever they had to tie-in to crossovers it lost me. The ending left me pretty sour since it felt like it was about to get into something good but turns out it was just setting things up for Spider-Geddon, which just wound up taking a big 'ol dump on the whole series anyways.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hulk is at his most terrifying when he isn’t punching guys. I kinda hope we just get Devil Hulk forever.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
With the addition of Unmoisturized Bruce Banner what's the total number of Marvel characters that make it to the end of all things?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

TwoPair posted:

What do we define as "the end of all things"? Because in Thor, the universe is dying but isn't really devoid of life, and has featured Galactus, Loki, Ego the Living Planet, Dr. Doom, and Wolverine, and of course all of those save Loki have died in the course of the story. In the most recent Thanos series we see that at the end the only living characters are Thanos, Frank Castle, Hulk again, and Silver Surfer; but again, all of those characters (including Thanos) die in the course of the story.

I totally forgot about Phoenix Force Wolverine. I guess it is true there's no canon future, but I hope going forward people keep throwing in miserable rear end Bruce Banner at the end of time.

X-O posted:

All futures are alternate timelines.

Ok so Spider-Man doesn't make it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If the final issue doesn't feature Peter doing research and irradiating a spider which goes off and bites a young Miles Morales, allowing Peter to finally retire as Spider-Man now that he has a successor, I will be disappointed.

I like this idea BUT I can't imagine Peter not being guilt ridden for accidentally thrusting the life of Spider-Man onto a kid.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
There's not been a single mention of Mr.Immortal or the GLA, I think he's just there cause it's been mentioned he'll be around for the end of the universe.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Right, I just avoid the general thread entirely until I'm done my weekly reads. Apologies.

...so did Hulk's evil dad eat the universe or what?

If I had to guess: this is the culmination of every Hulk working together under Devil Hulk, and Bruce just kind of looks like his dad cause we all become our fathers.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I was interested in where they’d go with Knull at first but it’s been disappointing that the answer was “nowhere” and then “back to Carnage for the umpteenth time”. How many times have they done the “Carnage is back and he’s made a bunch of other people Carnage Jrs” anyways? Like at least 4, right?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I love the trend in Immortal Hulk of characters reminding Bruce that he’s the pinnacle of a privileged white man and Bruce doesn’t try and one up them by listing off his struggles. I went into Immortal Hulk thinking it’d be the most insufferable version of him but it’s by far my favorite interpretation.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that her Gwenppol's perhaps underrated. While I completely understand her portrayal in the first few issues has been offputting for a lot of people, between what happened last issue with a bunch of different versions of Gwen from her various appearances (including Unbelievable Gwenpool being very upset at her future self) and the preview for issue #5, I think it's quite clear that she's been going somewhere with Gwen's behaviour.

I like the idea for a meta character trying to maintain relevance, but doing it in an industry where the story is laid out slowy over a period of weeks and with an audience that
s fairly fickle and may not follow you all the way to the tone shift seems...risky?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Edge & Christian posted:

Does anyone remember the Poisons, which were like alternate universe Venoms?

How could anyone forget how military genius Venom-Doctor Strange’s master plan to stop the Venom assimilating parasites was to throw even more Venoms at them. And somehow Carnage still found a way to weasel into the story.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I don’t remember what issue, but Doc Samson did give a pretty fitting name to the new Hulk.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Venom: The End was a really fun read. Goofy, sweet and managed to get an EVA in there. Actually the first Venom thing I've liked since Cates's run started.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
There's only two types of 'balls in comics, the Not Goldballs and the Goldballs.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I AM VEWY HUNGWY. Can’t believe Xemnu went to the Tumblr school of faux innocence.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
There are at least a dozen terrifying things in Immortal Hulk this week, but most unsettling to me is what Worldbreaker Hulk is up to...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Marvel's been making such bonkers moves recently that I wouldn't be surprised if they made Coronavirus a bioweapon created by the Mandarin.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
They got what they deserved.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah he came round in his Venom run and retroactively became the necrosword forger. Donny is just really commuted to this guy and hasn’t been able to make him interesting since the first arc.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Nah outside of Carnage he manages to be the least interesting part of Venom, Knull’s just a boring dude.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The Leader is just having a hell of a time, hard not to feel good for the guy.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It’s funny to think that after Jean breaking up with it the Phoenix force goes to Logan on the rebound.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Skwirl posted:

I'm kinda surprised there isn't some sort of anti-infinity stone

There was a Secret Wars side story that had one of these! Though more specifically it was an anti-reality stone.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Venom: The End confirmed canon, hell yeah.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Has Kindred done web swinging with his centipedes yet? If so then Ben Reiley.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
This whole time I really thought Leader's goal was to stop the future where "Banner" wins, I never even considered that the future message is what caused their nightmare in the first place.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what sort of psycho would get back with the guy who sold their marriage to satan if they knew about it?

I have this vague memory of a comic that tried to make it so actually it was MJ who made the deal and said Peter totally never would’ve done something like that without her egging him on.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I like to think that despite having more money than god could spend in 3 lifetimes even Tony Stark can’t afford being tied to Peter’s next explosive failure.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No see Spider-Man’s is actually a riff on his. Knull’s logo is a dragon that just happens to work really well as a spider.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If anything ASM added even more plot threads that they never plan on tying up anytime soon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but I think they're going towards one specific thing.

I think they're going to undo the spell.

That would be pretty great, but I can't help but feel like they're using the promise of totally undoing OMD this time to string along complete suckers like myself. Even by superhero comic standards ASM has felt wildly decompressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
King in Black could be cool if it wasn't A) Eddie Brock and B) Constantly trying to convince you that it's cool, which cool things never do.