Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Renew Your Vows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

Yeah I know it's for X-Men, I'm saying those glyphs look very familiar to one of those two and I'm wondering if it is one of the two (if anyone has either of the issues with those primers handy), or a new thing

It's new. Builder code is much more rounded, and doesn't have the uniformity of super- and sub-central character marks.

The language in Black Monday Murders is much more circle/arc-based, and looks designed to be written in cursive (article is fluff, images have some examples)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It's hard to overstate how inept Rosenberg has been.

I've been out of the X-loop for a while, so out of morbid curiosity: What's Rosenberg doing that's so bad?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

radlum posted:

Scioli is an excellent choice for FF Grand Design, though now I wonder who would be a good choice for an Avengers or Spider-Man Grand Design. I mean, that must be planned down the line.

Busiek for avengers. Though he's probably done half of the work already through various tie-ins.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men was a brilliant teen team-ish book.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The best Dracula is the Dracula who got clowned by Marvel UK.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 20, 2020

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I love how "the Avengers get giant mech suits" is a concept that comes around every few years.

New Avengers did it best: time to fight the American Kaiju

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Yeah whatever, a thick enough wall could still easily stop this guy.

No wall can bar DOOM. Do you think he would use the door, like a peasant?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

Yeah they picked him up a couple issues ago because they're fighting the newly resurrected greek Pantheon

And it's a lot of fun.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

radlum posted:

Just found out that Dan Slott blocked me on Twitter; I don't recall any recent tweets at him, so maybe he namesearched and found any of my snarky comments about his 616 episode.

Lurdiak posted:

That dude namesearches like it's his job.

How Wonderful! posted:

Christos Gage does it for him?

:perfect:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Donny Cates is on Hulk. My money's on gamma becoming an emanation of Knull in five issues.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

yeah this whole "ugh why didn't they give ewing thor" thing depends on the notion that ewing, like, wants thor and I guess is just being forced to work on venom?

e: also thor "floundering" is entirely based on how this thread feels about Cates I guess because it's selling fine

Yeah, I wouldn't call any Cates title "floundering". That's a statement on sales. I'd just call it crap.

Same as Spider-Man wasn't floundering under Slott, but it sure as hell wasn't good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I do not agree that she should relapse and arguing that's the only way to be cool feels kinda lovely, honestly.
But then again, I never read any of those old stories where she drank. It's just alluded to sometimes.

Carol definitely doesn't need to relapse in order to be cool.

At the same time, it does seem like the only person with addiction problems who's allowed to relapse — or even seriously consider relapsing — is Iron Man, usually in some big "see, this is important!" way. It worked in Fear Itself (unlike most of Fear Itself) as it was an appropriate sacrifice, but the other times it feels like the writer's scrabbling to remember anything about Tony.

Then again, the last time it happened was under Slott, and frankly if he could remember anything about the characters he was writing I'd be on the lookout for the other three horsemen, so.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

There are pages and spoilers out do the next ASM issue and they're uh, kind of stupid.

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

Oh gently caress off.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spencer's Spider-Man is turning Peter into loving Hawkman continuity-wise. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Peter was actually Uncle Ben and the thief was Kaine, and they had to set the whole thing up as a causal loop to satisfy Aunt May who was actually split into two beings as a result of OMD, one of which was projected back to become Harry Osborne (who never existed as Norman's son) and then became Kindred, but Ben Reilly teamed up with Death again specifically to spite Thanos who goes on to gently caress with Mephisto...

ugh.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gologle posted:

I did not enjoy the new Hulk issue, for all the reasons everyone else has already said. Will not be following this new run. The thing is, literally everyone already knew that it wasn't going to be the same, but it still disappointed me. The same advice still rings true: follow the writer, not the character.

I dunno if Cates is cursed or just a bad writer (though Knull suggests the latter), but I can't stand his Thor, and I gave his Hulk a read and can't bring myself to even dislike it. It's just... nothing. I can't bring myself to care. I don't want every run to be Van Art Thor or Immortal Hulk, but I do want them to be something interesting. Cates (outside of King in Black) isn't even bad, just boring as hell.

Sometimes, following the writer means staying the hell away; Cates is now on my list (along with Dan Slott and Nick Spencer).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine people talking about Knull that much.

All Donny Cates' alts.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to read Reckoning War. This is probably a mistake, but I have Unlimited so at least I'm not wasting money on a Dan Slott book.

Like, seriously. What the ever-loving gently caress is actually going on? Is anyone but the F4 ever going to be in-character? Why is the moon being loving destroyed treated as a throw-away plot point less important (so far, in my read through) than Yet Another Invasion of New York.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

Yeah, not good to have a superhero who came to our planet illegally. That would never fly.

It might not fly, but it could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cael posted:

I was literally thinking the other day " ... is anyone still reading it?" Like looking back Aaron's been writing the book for four years now and the only thing I can even remember about his run is "they live in a celestial" and "the Phoenix is Thor's mom".

I'm not even saying anyone of it is bad, but it seems like after enough time passes it'll just be completely forgettable.

I'm still reading it and enjoying it, but it feels more and more like an airport thriller or similar trashy novel, it's a hit of dopamine from "Character mashup! Big thing happen!" but I want it to go somewhere or at least do something different.

While it's not as bad as Reckoning War, there's a lot of things that make it feel separate from the rest of the Marvel universe, which is a pity as I really enjoyed it up to a point (probably the end of the Heroes Reborn arc, which I daresay is later than most people jumped off). Early things with e.g. the Agents of Wakanda were great. Give me more Fat Cobra and Gorilla-Man working with Wasp and Doctor Nemesis stories. And I'm gonna say this, as a long-suffering Iron Man fan, Avengers was a far better treatment of the character than the poo poo Slott was putting out while he was on the solo book.

Which is a lot of words to say I enjoy it, but I don't think I can recommend it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Has there been a good Iron Man run since Matt Fraction?

Fatal Frontier is one of the earlier online-only comics, co-written by Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing, and has Tony as the Marshall of a Lunar city. It's properly fun.

Gillen's run was... OK. As others said, not Gillen's best work, and a major disappointment coming off Fraction, also hamstrung by adding Iron Man to the Guardians and loving up Tony's family. Bendis was... Bendis. If you like ten panels of the same art with huge amounts of words then cool, but it's not going to make you a fan. Slott's run was crap, Aaron was writing better Iron Man stories in Avengers when that was ongoing, and Cantwell's run is great.

As a long-time Iron Man fan, I'd say that the recent highlights are Fraction/Fatal Frontier/Cantwell, add Bendis and Gillen for fun but kinda forgettable, avoid Slott (like every other loving Slott book). And if you've not read it, the Busiek and Chen run post-Heroes Return is somewhat older but very good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

It only now occurs to me that I just assumed that Tony dating Hellcat and getting all cosmic was part of the same run that did all that boring poo poo with Arno and tweaked his origin unnecessarily. Is the first book of Catnwell's run indicative of the overall quality, or is there some particularly hot arc that I should dip my toe in instead?

Arno and the pointless retcon was Gillen's run, and Arno was a part of Slott's run, which was... as poo poo as anyone would expect a Slott comic to be. Not even funny-poo poo, just poo poo.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I am always here for Al Ewing writing Sunspot. Even more than Hickman, Ewing demonstrates that he's a manipulative, charismatic, egocentric billionaire with the morals of the kind of housecat who only happens to like the X-Men because they give him tuna and let him pull unique and ridiculous superspy bullshit pretty much whenever he gets bored. Spoilered because this is from the last two issues to hit Marvel Unlimited.

Since becoming Director of S.W.O.R.D., Abigail Brand has been busy running the mutant space programme. Her plans for that are rather complex and involve playing every side off against the other to make Sol into one of the major galactic powers with her in charge.

X-Men Red (2022) #8

She made one tiny little error. A handful of mutants found out about her plans. Including Sunspot, who does not have time for her bullshit. But he's got a hot tub at 3 so which plan recycled from his New Avengers/US Avengers days will foil her while still letting him unwind properly?

X-Men Red (2022) #9

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rochallor posted:

My impression of Jason Aaron is that he's never written a bad comic, and he sometimes writes good ones. That doesn't always make for the most interesting comics, but it does mean that there's at least a baseline level of quality a lot of people can't consistently hit.

That's the thing. His Avengers ended up dragging out into self-indulgent toss, but at its worst was still not a bad book. He was at his worst writing a better Iron Man than Dan Slott at his "best".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The last page of Moon Knight #30 is totally a Leverage homage, right?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Am I going mad, or does Cap in the latest Uncanny Avengers series have a robot arm like Bucky?

If I'm not being a moron, what's the story there? He didn't & doesn't have one in the recent Cap series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

His arm got twisted and broken by "Captain Krakoa" in issue 1. The metal thing just braces it. :eng101:

D'oh. Of course that's what happened... I think I was thrown by it being drawn so much like Bucky's old arm.