Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1013564367344996352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I'm guessing Gwenpool did not get trade saved like Wasp and Iceman. That makes me sad.

Gwenpool got more issues than Iceman and Wasp combined. It was a great comic, and I wish Marvel was still publishing it, but you can't say they didn't give it all the chances in the world to succeed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

How many issues is Marvel rising? Its numbering has been really confusing, and the way the last issue ends makes it sound like it all ties up in the next issue.

Seems to be two more issues, Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl, then marvel rising: omega.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Squirrel Girl: Kraven nooooooo :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gatts posted:

So apparently the Milania Vaynthrub Squirrel Girl character is animated. On the plus side it includes Spider-Gwen. For some reason I thought it was a live action show.
Vayntrub's doing both, assuming New Warriors ever finds a home.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is my surprised face, but also yay
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019588278175948800

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dunbar posted:

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1019595127814172673

Anyone happen to check this out today? I wouldn't have otherwise been interested in it but I don't often see Willow promote books like that.

I read it this morning, it's fine, mostly set up for the rest of the series. My guess based on the end of the issue is that the series is going to reveal that Carol's always been half-Kree, and that's why she got her powers when the Psyche-Magnatron exploded, or not but something like that seems likely.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Not even read all of this week’s haul yet but it feels like the best week in ages aready.

There was a lot of really good stuff today: Avengers, Runaways, X-Men Red, Jessica Jones, the preview for the new West Coast Avengers...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

What wheres the wca preview at
That and a few others are here.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Spotlight-July-2018/digital-comic/695440?ref=bGlzdC92aWV3L3RhYmxldC9ncmlkTGlzdC9saXN0MjUyOTA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

Wow I just got done with Jessica Jones and I really enjoyed that. Kelly had a great handle on the characters, the art fit, 40 pages, the surprise drop, just all of it

I kind of love that Bendis hand picked her as his successor writing Jessica even before he knew he was leaving Marvel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I liked that Carol's solution to opening the weird piece of tech she found in her dad's things was to hit it with a hammer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah that third panel was dope as hell.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh poo poo, I haven't read Cap yet today

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That last panel of Squirrel Girl today: gently caress Yes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I picked up the new Luke Cage because I like this new digital initiative Marvel is doing, and huh, that was not the topicality I was expecting, but it fits Luke really well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Roth posted:

November solicits:

https://www.newsarama.com/41468-marvel-comics-november-2018-solicitations.html

The most important news: Larocca isn't drawing at least two issues of Star Wars.

And also the first issue of Uncanny X-Men is $8

The solicit for X-23 #6, yes, that, I want that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

It has one of those hero recruitment/interview montages. Some of the characters are funny, but it feels like a huge cliche by now.

Worth it for the many faces of Kate Bishop. There was some good av material in there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

TheLoser posted:

What else has been happening in the last few years that's worth catching up on?

Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The dialogue free Squirrel Girl issue was pretty great, and I've really been enjoying the Shocker arc in Ms. Marvel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

saladin's peggy cap and given that its exiles and everybody dies in exiles shes already on the chopping block down the line

She did die (saved from nuclear fire at the last second by rogue watchers) once already after all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I like X-Men Red, but Cassandra Nova is a stupid character and she's really dragging down my appreciation of the book.

Kelly Thompson wasn't lying when she said the first volume of her Jessica Jones run ends on a cliffhanger.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zdarsky's last issue of Spider-Man is...well, all the usual Spider-Man adjectives.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

"Carol Danvers was always part Kree" (or at least that's my guess for the big reveal the series has been teasing) is a five issue miniseries.

Thompson is one of my favorite writers at Marvel so of course I'm excited to see what she can do with Carol, and bringing Jess Drew back is just the icing on the cake

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm shocked, shocked by this out of nowhere revelation in Life and Times of Captain Marvel

For reals though, I think it's fine, makes sense, and let's Carol stand as her own hero more completely.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

I've never played future fight but from that tweet, it just sounds like it's a costume you can use, but not the only one? So you can still be sexy Emma frost and not not-as-sexy Emma frost if you want?

Honestly, that's basically a palette swap of her default costume.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I haven't read any of the main Spider-geddon story yet, but I did enjoy both Spider-Girls and the new Spider-Gwen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hawkeye's fingertip gloves are weirding me out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Avengers Halloween issue was all about retelling gruesome/macabre stories with Marvel characters, and no it wasn't my cup of tea either. The final ghost story was alright though.

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't grab any Infinity Warps but seeing covers kind of made me wish I had. At least seeing Weapon Hex and Magik teaming up intrigued me. Are they any good?

Iron Hammer was extremely good, with a solid Silver Age feel, but then again Al Ewing wrote it so what else would you expect?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Squirrel Girl still remains the best, and Koi Boi's pun ability is unrivaled.

When I woke up this morning I wasn't expecting to see a Dr. Sbaitso reference, and yet here we are. Also why doesn't ghost rider ride ghosts?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Alaois posted:

no that was just me, everyone else was saying "Gabby should be in everything"
Yes, she should

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Skwirl posted:

With X-Men Red being canned, what's he writing currently?

He's got a Spider-Man book coming out next month.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is ASM going to get dragged into Spider-Geddon? Because I think I might skip those issues...I only got Spider-Girls because I like Spider-Girl classic and RYV. And I'm super bummed that might be the last time I see either until Spider-Pocalypse or whatever Spider-Verse 3 is going to be.

Spectacular is the Pete focused series with the Spider-Geddon tie-ins, and it's been not half bad, I really dug this week's issue.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Renew Your Vows says otherwise.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, I wound up buying the Spider-Girls miniseries (I wanted to support Houser/RYV, OK?) and actually quite enjoyed it (probably because it seemed to primarily avoiding the Inheritors plot and focusing on their interpersonal interaction).

I'd love to see a Spider-Girls ongoing. I enjoyed the dynamic between Mayday and Anime.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is it going back in the closet if your memories of self discovery are completely wiped from your mind?

yes

Not wiped, locked away until they get back to the moment the young x-men returned to their original spot in the timeline.

I "liked" how they just left Rachel stuck as a hound. "Oh well, she was too damaged, we couldn't do anything for her." :effort:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

I'm fairly certain this is the almost-100% rumor. Along with heavily featuring the women of the Spider-Verse, it'll introduce Spider-Woman as well.

What I've heard is the film will be about Gwen, Cindy Moon and Jessica Drew, but nothing about Mayday or Annie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

What's the best modern Spidey btw?
Newspaper :v:
The most recent Peter Parker: the Spectacular Spider-Man written by Chip Zdarsky.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

So did the current Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man series get canceled?

Looks like it, it's in my deactivated subscriptions in Comixology. But at least we have a Tom Taylor Spider-Man to take its place.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't that drop today?

Yes, i just started reading it, and it's a delight.

e: holy poo poo, between Taylor and Ahmed, today was a very good day for Spider-Man comic books

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I read a lot of good comics today, but I think Squirrel Girl was the best of the bunch.