Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Miss Marvel number 50 was pretty fun. I do like it there's a running joke that everyone knows who she is but no one says anything.

Marvel Rising is great. I really like it.

Captain America nd Immortal Hulk continue to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

So now that Marvel Studios is going to be able to use the mutants they're cleaning house and doing "penance" by killing the poo poo out of the inhumans, huh?

The difference being no one likes Inhumans so no one's going to be mad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jiro posted:

Still not a strong as BRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Holy poo poo, I remember when this aired live. It was so great.

Interview ---> "savage" beatdown ---> flipping the ambulance Roman Reigns was in

Covok
May 27, 2013

gently caress.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of everything that's happened in Amazing Spider-Man from about the point where Superior Spider-Man ended? That's roughly where I stopped reading. Might come back now that Slott is finally gone.

What happened is that Spider-Man continue the company that Doc Ock started. He became rich and try to use that money for philanthropy. However, during Secret Empire, he had to destroy his company to stop Hydra from using his company to track down political enemies for extermination purposes. There was no other choice in the matter.

Then, he went for the long process of selling his company. This made everyone hate him since he put millions of people out of their jobs. He then slept on Mockingbirds couch. When he ran a company, they were dating. But afterwards they kind of broke up and he was just allowed to stay there until he can get his own place. He tried to get back together with Mary Jane, but it didn't go anywhere.

Then Eddie Brock came back and Flash Thompson became Anti-Venom. At the exact same time, Black Cat lost her criminal empire and turned back into a petty thief.

Spider-Man's fake sister came back, and even though they're not actually related they hung out. She got wrapped up in a CIA conspiracy. It turned into a huge thing that ended in Alien Invasion. The important thing was that Jay Jonas Jameson and Spider-Man had an interview to get knowledge out of Jay Jonah Jameson. At the end of the interview, when Spider-Man went too far and made Jonah Cry by pointing out how he was a lonely sad man who destroyed his own life, Spider-Man revealed the secret identity as Peter Parker to comfort him since they were technically related through Aunt May's marriage, even though Jay Jonah Jameson father had died and Aunt May was a widow again. Jay Jonah Jameson then became his partner and help him fight crime by being his ear to the ground.

Then, the Green Goblin merged with Carnage. The Red Goblin, as he came to be known, found out Spider-Man secret identity. He did so by torturing Jameson. Though, to be fair, Jameson didn't intentionally give away the information: he tried to taunt the Red Goblin and accidentally gave away that Gwen Stacy was Spider-Man's girlfriend and then the Red Goblin pieced it together. Spider-Man fought the Red Goblin and eventually won with the help of literally everybody from Anti-Venom to Silk to Miles Morales to Doc Ock. Flash Thompson died in the fight and Peter gave Doc Ock pardon for his crimes because Doc Ock saved Aunt May ( Doc Ock did that because he once almost married Aunt May and actually did like her).

Robbie Robertson made Peter the new tech editor at The Daily Bugle. Peter got an apartment with one of his employees. Their third roommate is secretly Boomerang.

And that's everything that happened since Superior Spider-Man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

There was that clone saga 1 and a half that brought back Ben Reilly and Kaine too

That was where I stopped bothering to read Spidey books

Oh I forgot about that. But I also actually skipped the Clone Conspiracy. It looks really bad and it turned out it was really bad and the series that spun out of it was really bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Thanks. Might actually go back to check out the JJJ interview part, that sounds interesting.

Go to Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zardasky. There's only like 16 issues. Maybe less actually. It's hard to remember cuz it did remembering. I want to say it happened in Issue Number 5. The issue has Jameson and Spider-Man on the cover. You could read that one on its own, but the series overall is pretty good once it gets started.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Where's the bit with MJ from? I can't believe they're still teasing it after all these years instead of going all in or dropping completely already.

That was in Amazing Spider-Man. I want to say was around 800. Likely issue like 792 or something.

Also, I forgot to mention how Doc Ock came back from the dead. Ben Reilly was cloned and tortured by the jackal. And then he became the new Jackal. And started a company that offered to cure people of any disease. What he was really doing was making clones. And then basically keeping them on a leash through medication they needed to not dissolve. He clone Doc Ock during this time. The little spider robot that Doc Ock made in spider-verse then perfectly transferred doc ock's Consciousness into clone body. But this new clone only remembers up to the moment when Horizon Labs was destroyed and the events of spider-verse. So he has not learned his lesson and did not become a good guy. Spider-Man and The Jackal fight and in the process all the Clones get doused in medication that will permanently allow them to avoid cellular degeneration. Doc Ock also makes himself a new body that gives himself all the powers of Peter Parker. The Rhino, Ned Leeds, The enforcers, and Doc Ock are all back from the dead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

bagrada posted:

I've never read Spider-Man but from watching the movies and picking up on stuff over the years, have they never done one where Peter is given the goblin formula and goes batty for a bit? Seems like something they would have gotten to in the 80s.

In the 90s after Aunt May had a heart attack, Spider-Man went crazy and webbed himself up in a cocoon. When he came out, he said Peter Parker was dead and that he was now The Spider. He then ran around making insane monologue that would make Todd McFarlane blush. He snapped out of it shortly after meeting Ben Reilly.

Bonus fact: there is an amazing scene that was unintentionally funny where Mary Jane walked in on Spider-Man in the Cocoon and just walked right out of the room. It was supposed to be like intense but instead it made me laugh out loud.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

What's this on Peter's fake sister?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Teresa_Parker_(Earth-616)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

The whole dumb MJ plane crashing reminds me that the dark secret of the Peter and Mary Jane marriage is that no one knew what the gently caress to do with it until JMS which is why Marvel felt entirely justified in getting rid of it

I guess people remember it being way more of a thing due to Spider-Girl or whatever but for like the entire 90's/early 2000's it was basically really bad set dressing for other unrelated stories or home of fantastic plots like treating Mary Jane's smoking addiction like she was heavy into crack cocaine.

How is it hard? Spider-Man and Mary Jane are a couple. They have couple problems. Mary Jane's personality was defined in the Steve Ditko/Stan Lee run. Make her that but grown up. Have her involved with his life, like spouses tend to be. Have her have her own problems. Have them intersect like Peter and Spider-Man's problems do.

Also, give them a kid. Because that way parents can relate and kids can relate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

She was most definitely not defined in the Lee/Ditko era, she appeared exactly once with an obscured face. She didn't have an actual face, let alone personality, until Romita Sr. was drawing it. And Peter and MJ didn't become a serious couple until Gwen Stacy died, which was after Stan Lee stopped writing the comic.

Okay, whenever she was defined. The fact she was defined at some point.

site posted:

Siri, show me the venn diagram of people who wrote married Spider-Man and have always been single, are vocally misogynist, and/or have been divorced

Siri? This is a google house, motherfucker.

Also, who were the vocally misogynist Spider-Man writers?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

god dammit.

but at this point they're well aware of each other's identities right?

I actually forget if Spider-Man revealed his identity. But, Peter knew Flashes' identity.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Archyduke posted:

I'd argue that she's never been particularly well-defined except for brief periods where a writer really takes a shine to her. She spent a lot of the first decades of her existence as one of a rotating group of potential Peter Parker love interests, and to be frank if you just read through it all chronologically their wedding really does seem to come out of nowhere. And even after the wedding writers had wildly different takes on her-- how assertive she was, how concerned about her husband's double-life, how neurotic, how selfless, etc.., which led to a lot of plots where she's either just there to be menaced, or there to look mournfully out of the panel consumed with anxiety.

I think MJ is a cool character but for the most part writers-- especially after the marriage-- seemed to view her as a narrative inconvenience, a cheap source of cheesecake and misogynist tropes, or an outright impediment to writing Spider-Man stories. Hence, I think, the multiple attempts to write her or the marriage out even before ODM.

To be fair, I think part of this is just a fact of how the Spider-Man books were set up around the time of the wedding through her first (?) faked death-- you had multiple titles, each with a different thematic or tonal hook (sort of, they got quite blurry and homogenous in the 90s), and each writer had to figure out how to incorporate this huge new shift in Spidey's status quo. Understandly, each landed on a different note, without a strong editorial hand to tie those notes together into a cohesive unit. It was a mess, and unlike someone like Aunt May or Doc Ock, there wasn't as much precedent to draw on in making her character *feel* consistent.

So for example, you suggest giving her own problems to deal with, which is a good suggestion, but in one book her problem would be something soapy and melodramatic like being offered a nude scene in a movie, in another it would be trying to quit smoking in a very heavy-handed 90s way, in another it would be dealing with her kooky younger cousin, who would later get her own interminable eating disorder subplot, and in another it would involve being kidnapped by a maniacal landlord. Again, this isn't a slam on her character, it's a slam on the sorry state of the Spider-Man line at the time, which both compartmentalized its narrative load among too many hands, and had to deal with so many of those hands being bad at their jobs. It's hard to overstate the extent to which early 90s Spider-Man was a complete and utter mess, which is why the nuclear option of the Clone Saga was tolerated for so long-- anything to shake up what felt like a lackluster and sloppy universe, and tie it together a bit.

Huh, I thought it was always established that Mary Jane was the playful assertive party girl with self-respect. The type who liked to have fun when they were younger. But, grew up because, well, people tend to. Into a person who was still fun-loving, but responsible. And had to deal with the worries that come from having a husband with a dangerous job that keeps him from home often. As the son of a cop, those aren't hard to imagine. That she had her own acting and modeling career she was taking seriously. And wasn't selfish and understood what her husband did was for the good of other people and would support and help him. Though, of course, sometimes feel neglected like any human would from time-to-time. But also not afraid to do the right thing and get involved when the moment arised.

Maybe that's just how I viewed the character.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Who's struggling? This month with Batman #50 it might be different, but Marvel always has the bigger market share, even if they don't dominate the top spots.

It was chic to claim Marvel was two-minutes away from bankruptcy until a couple weeks ago. Everyone took the doomsaying they were saying about New 52 and DC You DC and put it on Marvel when Rebirth happened...even if it made no sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I'm corrected then. i assumed the fact DC was always dominant in the top 10 sales meant that had the stronger sales over all.

Last I checked, it's like 39.5% Marvel, 35% DC.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

Keep in mind even if Marvel doesn't sell as many books as DC, all of its books are more expensive, so it makes way more money.

Not anymore. DC raised the prices.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reading Nick Spencer Spider-Man like...praying that Joe Quedesa gets the gently caress away and lets them finally undo the biggest mistake the Spidey franchise ever made.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Kind of enjoying Exiles, but I'm not sure having Kamala Khan dying in a suicide bombing is very good optics Marvel.

To be fair, I just viewed it as generic action movie self-sacrifise and didn't see that angle till you said it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

Was this issue the first time it was mentioned kamala had ended up marrying Bruno?

My OTP.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

He had a good grasp on how Beast was actually the complete worst ever.

Why does everyone hate Hank?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gavok posted:

There was a really early What If about different people getting bitten instead of Peter.

- Flash accidentally kills Crusher Hogan in the ring, but then becomes a superhero. He decides that physical force is enough to get by, meaning that when being dropped by Vulture during a fight, he has no webbing and falls to his death.

- Betty Brant has Peter help her make gadgets because even though she digs fighting crime, she can't bring herself to actually fight anyone. When the burglar runs by, she's out of webbing and is too afraid to hit him. After Uncle Ben dies, she quits out of guilt.

- John Jameson becomes a public-identity superhero named Spider Jameson due to his dad's marketing. He uses a jetpack instead of webbing. Someone else takes his spot as an astronaut, meaning John has to take the Spider-Man role when the original Chameleon plot happens. He saves the rocket, but at the cost of his own life.

Then there's an epilogue showing that in all three realities, Peter Parker secretly kept the spider. He extracts its venom to make himself into Spider-Man.

I kind of like how all three of these What Ifs remind us that Peter is the One True Spider-Man and everyone else (except for Miles because he's awesome) is a loving jabroni.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

And also that the one where the woman gets bit, she's too weak and sensitive to actually fight people. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, that's sexist. Kind of skipped over it on my way to suck Peter's cock, metaphorically speaking. My bad. It didn't even register. Which is bad. Sorry.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So... Gwen is... Ghost-Spider now? That is not a good name. That is the opposite of such a thing.

It kind of works for me after someone pointed out she is ghost spider...because the "real" Gwen Stacy is dead and she's a spider-woman. Ergo, she is a "ghost" spider.

Covok
May 27, 2013

head58 posted:

Every single “What If?” story should end with “Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.”

"What if Galactus ate Eternity"

The End: “Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

(I think the only really stand-out being the issue from the symbiote's point of view)

I just want to say that that issue was the first one I picked up and it made me keep buying.

I still feel betrayed by how good that issue was and how bad the rest was.

As a huge Venom fan, I'm going to say I love the twist. But I also love the story they drew the twist from.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I actually felt Blue was better than Gold. But I am the freak who actually likes the young X-men. See, Jay and Miles said Bendis did a jumping on point with these young X-men so that's when I started reading. Also, Tom Taylor's Jean Grey was totally my poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

This...is actually a good reason.

Not surprising. Peter should be eating a steady diet of flys, butterflys, and other bugs. Instead, he eats pizza, wheatcakes, and ramen noodles. The guy has got it all wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I do not like the look of Venom's new son. He just looks so generic and I don't like the four eyes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

From BC:
"Bleeding Cool has, however, learnt that Marvel Comics have changed their minds. That the planned series conflicts with their current plans for Vision and Viv Vision, and the publisher is looking in a different direction. The creators on the series have been paid in full for their work so far and Marvel seems appreciative of their work so far- and it is possible that it may see the light of day another time. But not now. And certainly not in November."

At least they paid them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

You know, I had this thought while having lunch. Imagine if they did a new Ultimate Universe but they used it as a chance to reimagine their characters without them being strapped to certain preconceived notions like Captain America having to be a CIS straight white man. Like, give it a chance to actually explore new ideas using reimagined classic characters while still having the originals in their own Universe running alongside them. Because the original Ultimate Universe really didn't do that until Miles Morales and even then they only did it once.

Like, imagine that the announcement for "All New, All Different" Marvel, but that being an announcement for of a new line of comics in a new universe. Not only would this have meant that the classic characters would still be around, but it also means that you don't do those new characters on a timer. To explain the latter, you know that eventually Tony's coming back, you know that eventually Thor is coming back, Etc. But if it's it's own universe, that doesn't have to be the case.

They kind of did this in Spider-Gwen by having Captain America being a black woman. But, those characters are simply not the focus of the book so you don't really get to explore it too much. If it was its own Universe, they can really do a lot with these premises.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Soonmot posted:

It'd be a great testing ground for new/indie talent too.

Yeah, that's actually how they did the original Ultimate Universe I think. Because Bendis and Millar were still unknowns at the time. Getting like some real Indie talent to build this new universe would be great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

None of their events since SW have been any good.

While I agree, I really have faith in the new war of the Realms storyline. Jason Aaron began that story line during his awesome run on Thor god of thunder in 2012. Over the last 6 years, he has built that story in the background. Everything that has occurred in his amazing run of Thor has been a part of that story line. So if he wants to have the Final Act be a big line wide event, I have faith that he can pull it off. If nothing else, everything leading up to it has been a blast.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok
May 27, 2013

rantmo posted:

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1073627310836908037?s=19

That's genuinely exciting, I can't wait to see what he'll do with Kamala.

I love Wilson's Ms. Marvel, but after 50+ issues it can't hurt to shake things up with a new writer. Saladin Ahmed has been doing a great job on Exiles so I can see this being another knock out of the back. I'm excited, personally.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, having just watched Into The Spider-Verse (it owns, BTW, go watch it), I decided the time was ripe to see how the webslingers are doing in the books. I heard that ASM was good now, even if Nick Spencer's writing it now, so I decided to grab the first few issues on comixology. It feels weirdly and pleasantly familiar, considering I actually got into the comics at the tail end of the JMS era. Having Peter & MJ together again is nice. The fact it leads with a flashback to Sensational Spider-Man annual is a nice touch.

Also, it almost immediately shoving Slott's previously set-up status quo in the garbage was somewhat amusing.

Is it me or...might they actually be considering undoing OMD? That Sensational Annual was basically a celebration of the marriage before OMD, they get Peter & MJ back together, hell, there was even a very prominent shot of MJ's ringless hand with Peter's narration saying there was something missing...

Also (Maybe slight Into The Spider-Verse spoilers) the 'real' Peter (for that matter, Miles' Peter) was married to MJ, so there's even some of that there brand synergy going...

I mean, I guess it's still unlikely since I gather Quesada's still quite highly placed, but I figured maybe with the changing of the EiC, it might be happening?

Is ASM going to get dragged into Spider-Geddon? Because I think I might skip those issues...I only got Spider-Girls because I like Spider-Girl classic and RYV. And I'm super bummed that might be the last time I see either until Spider-Pocalypse or whatever Spider-Verse 3 is going to be.

And Miles' new book also looks good. Just wish Ganke did a bit more.

I'm actually going to point something out. According to enter the spider verse, if you actually look at the monitor, the Peter that is getting pulled into Miles' world is the Peter of Earth-616. Actually, all the numbers are comic accurate, including Earth 67 if you stayed for the after credit scene.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Marvel: Peter is the every man.

Also Marvel: Peter can never get married or have kids and must always have 1-2 supermodel girlfriends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It was a sad day when I realized I was older than Wolverine.

Though I also was pretty impressed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

Dang you're like 160 years old? Congrats whats your secret

Why, Hostess Fruit Pies, of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

They better not gently caress up War of the Realms. So help me God, I'm too hyped from Jason Aaron's 5 year+ build up to be let down now.