Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm going to assume the rest of that "Kate!" word balloon is "You're an abomination!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The whole dumb MJ plane crashing reminds me that the dark secret of the Peter and Mary Jane marriage is that no one knew what the gently caress to do with it until JMS which is why Marvel felt entirely justified in getting rid of it (despite the marriage being not only an integral part of JMS' run but arguably the best part)

I guess people remember it being way more of a thing due to Spider-Girl or whatever but for like the entire 90's/early 2000's it was basically really bad set dressing for other unrelated stories or home of fantastic plots like treating Mary Jane's smoking addiction like she was heavy into crack cocaine.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 10, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tamaki's Laura is actually a bit more of a middle ground between old New X-Men/X-23 solo Laura and All-New Wolverine Laura. Still has all the development of the latter but is way more terse and less snarky than Taylor's take. It's an interesting shift.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yes god forbid there be any hickman/bendis interaction because the last time was just so terrible

like I'm not a bendis fan at all but c'mon

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OGB posted:

Even money says when he apologizes, he says it’s because of his dead son.

I will never not be disgusted by people being unable to criticize jeph loeb without bringing up his dead kid

come the gently caress on y'all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure the idea is that those are the kind of jokes trans/non-binary/generally queer kids get to make due to it being a sarcastic jab at the gender binary and not the kind of jokes an old white cisgender dude gets to make while trying and failing to sound "with it"

It's not bigoted just ignorant and embarrassing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

I groaned. Now when all black shows up in thor it cant just be a cool thing, its VENOM THOR or VENOM LOKI and just thats dumb as gently caress. Way to poo poo in aarons sandbox

You're making a pretty strong assumption that Aaron A, didn't know about this and B. isn't cool with it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess my response would be

- None of these changes make Venom not a flawed human bonded with a weird alien thing trying to find justice in a world that doesn't understand him

- We had a pretty good year of solid if unremarkable Venom comics (I think the only really stand-out being the issue from the symbiote's point of view) before the big shake up.

- "Venom but 400 of him" has been a part of the character since the 90's

I'm essentially saying I don't see how any of that's a problem.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jiro posted:

Eeesh please don't bring Byrne back. It's almost like C.B. Cebulski is a slightly more toned down version of Johns sort of. What has Bryne's work been like these last few years?

Johns was never an editor in chief and he didn't hire John Byrne what are you even talking about

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I basically have nothing to add to any of that because it's dead on

in fact I'd argue that Runaways is not only good, but that this is the best the book has ever been

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's the Smash Bros Ultimate of Runaways books. Everyone is here.

(Except Xavin and honestly, eh.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw are your new Guardians of the Galaxy creative team, coming next year.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeayeayeayea

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1040316735763742720

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not clear if Nilbop is taking about the Gwenpool solo series (which was good!) or the America Chavez one (which was not)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's almost hard to remember at this point that Norman Osborn was straight up dead for 23 real world years

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah Hobgoblin and Doctor Octopus were basically been the #1 Spider-Man archnemesis during that whole gap

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah Ross absolutely needs a writer

His FF run would have been pretty to look at but intensely dull

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Vault of Spiders #1 is out Wednesday, and it features a story I wrote about the greatest of all Spider-Men- THE EMISSARY OF HELL!

holy gently caress the scantalation angle

this is the best

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I find Hulk kind of fascinating in just how little consistency there was, even in the "classic" Marvel Lee/Kirby/et all days. He'd just change abilities, personalities, everything arc to arc to arc, while you had other heroes like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man who more or less were fully formed within a year of their books starting out.

It's sort of fostered this idea where, to this day, I think the core of the Hulk as a character is change. Sure, dumb childish "HULK SMASH" is the one in the pop culture mindscape because it shows up the most in non-comics media, but even that version of the character pops up only occasionally. Honestly at this point it feels like there's just as many Smart Hulk stories as there are Dumb Hulk ones.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 23, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
counterpoint: Gerry Duggan's Guardians of the Galaxy was a banger but Infinity Wars has, outside of the Warped minis, been bad and forgettable, largely due to external circumstances (the art, the obvious shift in direction from a GOTG storyline to a linewide event, Duggan's plans for characters clearly being changed for him)

Like once an event becomes an Event the book's creative team doesn't really guarantee anything because more than ever they exist at the whim of editorial and corporate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

People were talking a lot about whether or not Terry Long or Kenny Kong or whomever were Mary Sue/Self-Inserts but if you want an idea of how early Warren Ellis work for hire went:

Excalibur: His first act was to add a hard-bitten, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, caustic Essex man named Warren Ellis Pete Wisdom to the team, who thinks superheroes are stupid and seduces and beds Kitty Pryde within a few issues.

Thor: Much of the story centers around a hard-bitten, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, caustic Englishman named Warren Ellis Curzon working for the NYPD to figure out why Thor is being all dark and not wearing his stupid outfit or talking in his stupid way anymore.

The twist in Hellstorm is that the lead character wasn't British, he was just a hard-drinking/chain-smoking rear end in a top hat who thought superheroes were dumb and stupid and childish and had a really hot industrial/goth girlfriend.

In Ultraforce, the twist was that it was an older hardcore cool dude who all of the chicks loved, like Jarvis except more badass.

In Doom 2099 the twist was that basically all of the characters that weren't Doom were this.

Stuff like this is the reason why I found it fascinating that Castlevania s2 treats being a Warren Ellis archetype as a state of being emotionally stunted that the protagonist needs to grow out of by helping people

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the other problem is 99% of the time when the book looked at Peter and MJ's marriage it wasn't like...good.

Honestly that's one of the things JMS managed to nail, but before him it was a cavalcade of bad storylines where MJ would get her own subplot for a few months and it would invariably be the most boring poo poo imaginable.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archyduchess posted:

I think that in 2018/2019, if Peter's supposed to be in his mid-late 20s or early 30s, an "everyman" arc shouldn't have to and shouldn't have to want to culminate in marriage and kids. That narrative, while tidy, I think increasingly doesn't speak to the goals and lives of people who are Peter's vague age, especially among people with the contingent elements that his life has-- freelancer (I think still?), weird hours, all-consuming hobby, dependent older relative, living in a very expensive city. I got married at 28, which would have felt extremely late in my parents' day, but among my friends and age-proximate colleagues was pretty early. It's just not as ubiquitous a marker of "growing up," ditto having kids-- among married people my age that I can think of, only three have kids, and those were the only three that ever had any intention of having kids.

I like Peter and MJ together but I'm fine with them not being married. I think on a narrative level it keeps his status quo more flexible and leaves more wiggle room for the flow of incoming writers, and as I said above I don't think that using it as a device to ground him or indicate his maturity is as viable as it perhaps used to be. For someone with his lifestyle and background, superhero or not, being a bachelor with a somewhat provisional financial situation is frankly the most realistic option.

Edit: Without spoiling much, I think the Spider-Verse movie handles this perfectly, albeit with a PP slightly older I felt than the de facto characterization in the comics: I can't imagine dating let alone being married to somebody with his life without going crazy. I don't think expecting a long-term romantic relationship that follows normative rules is fair or even possible in a setting where superheroes are routinely expected to do the things that superheroes do. In my mind Peter and MJ love each other a lot and trust each other more than anyone else in the world but recognize that keeping things somewhat loose is better for both of them.

Yeah I agree that "Spider-Man must grow up and the only way he can is by having a steady important job, a wife, and kids" is mostly the result of people being fixated on a societal construct of adulthood and success that is rapidly becoming out-of-date

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think having a steady job is gonna go out of date. Hopefully.
I wish I had this kind of optimism.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
honestly if you're not going to play the game then just watch the cutscenes or an LP or something

so much of that story is carried by the performances that I can't imagine a comic adaptation not being a total letdown

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would not classify any of the characters who were killed or written out when Kyle and Yost took over New X-Men as "fun"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lobok posted:

How is it bi-erasure to have a bi person in a relationship with a man?

there's a not insignificant amount of people who think you can only be bi if you're actively in a same sex relationship and anything else doesn't count

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
well I was coming in here to talk about the ending of Exiles but uh

I'll wait

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all

immortal hulk

it's Really Good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
She's been appearing fairly regularly in Spider-Man/Deadpool too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nilbop posted:

I think you might just be a bit thick.

nah you're just consistently bad at constructing an argument

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
nothing about WCA made me think "I want to see Kelly Thompson continue writing these characters" other than the Hawkeyes so I can't say I'm hoping for another Thompson Avengers book

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaunab posted:

Why is Marvel so obsessed with Venom lately?

that movie did really, really well

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alaois posted:

Wait I reread the solicit, there's two stories, one written by Zhou Leifen and one written by Greg Pak.

There's also Swordmaster with the same setup, one story written by Shuizhu and one by Pak

It's because these are localizations of previously China-only Marvel comics with Pak writing exclusive back-ups for the English releases

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will eat my hat if this is not a Ewing event

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have both 'No ____' weekly series had the same writers? It's probably them again.

oh, duh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thranguy posted:

Have the ground zero Middletown crew shown up yet? Probably not; I expect the Leader himself would come first. But Soul Man will be interesting in this context...

Jialbait (wisely no longer called that) and Hotshot showed up early on

It did not end well for them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

Hahaha goddamn that hulk ending

Ewing really taking advantage of writing a book with "Immortal" on the cover

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Little Mac posted:

Immortal Hulk is really giving me some Junji Ito or Devilman vibes. It's so creepy. Did Devil Hulk regress into Savage Hulk when he was being dissolved by Abomination? I wonder if his cowardice is going to be a thing.

it's not the first time. He seems to revert back to Child Hulk whenever he's really badly hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Black Ant is not nearly professional enough to be Arn come on