Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Schneider Heim posted:

How is the Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl comic?

It's pretty delightful. Having North and Wilson on the book obviously helps to maintain the characters' voices and tones but it really works seamlessly. It's a bit of a confection maybe, but if you like either of the books it's worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Hey, we can have 2 Hawkeyes and 2 Spider-Men, why not 2 Spider-Women?

Did we have two concurrent Spider-Women, or was Jess just using her real name at the time?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Kinda sorta? I mean Gwen was Spider-Woman at the same time Jessica was Spider-Woman, they just lived on separate Earths.

I meant Julia Carpenter from back in the day.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The Luke Cage thing could be interesting but I feel like it needed a build up instead of coming immediately on the heels of the two indications we've ever seen. It would have been a much more effective revelation in a second or third arc where it could be teased out. As it is, the notion has potential but it's such a clumsy and forced plot beat that it just doesn't work well.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

FINALLY. I'm really psyched about this, Ewing is an amazing writer and I can't wait to see how she takes to the medium.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean at this point does Wolverine need a costume?

Only in Madripoor. There's a guy called Patch there with the same haircut, it's the damndest thing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rochallor posted:

This isn't the most representative group of comics fans, but is anybody here actually excited about Wolverine being alive again?

We had a better Wolverine and she came with a Honey Badger. I like Logan well enough but his story came to a very satisfying close and I don't feel like Laura ever got her due and that's such complete bullshit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

This arc has been my favorite of his run so far, I'm not sure why it hasn't been clicking for me until now, it's been ok but I feel like it's missing something. I don't know if it's Noto's art or just this wonderfully bonkers plot but it's really working for me right now. Also, anything that gets me more Frank McGee is aces.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I liked Bendis' X-Men other than Kitty ditching the O5 because Bendis wanted her in Guardians. I thought it was an interesting change for Kitty but it was so loving sudden and out of character for the arc he had her on, I couldn't get behind it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Roth posted:

Having a literal red skinned Native American stereotype solicit a teenager for sex is pretty bad.

Wasn't she, when last we saw her, not even 10? Certainly she wasn't even a teenager, but one way or the other during Secret Wars she was a literal child, right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Anyone who doesn't want Benjamin Jacob Grimm to be happy is a monster.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

In which series/issues did that retcon occur? Somehow in reading all the X-books and just, absolute tons of other Marvel books, I missed that one and only learned about it from X-Plain The X-Men.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That's so strange because I'm sure I've read all of the Uncanny Avengers but I have no recollection of that. Time to reread!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

How do all the merged characters fit into this?

Tangentially, though the miniserieses about them have been the best part of the event

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The bitch of it is that some of the merged characters are actually pretty interesting, I mean, Little Monster is rad as hell but it's all loving pointless.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I think it was Emma actually, but Emma is Right and Will Make drat Well Sure You Know It doesn't fit on a T-shirt.

Well X-Plain the X-men does have a Our Lady Of Weaponized Femme shirt, so there's that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gatts posted:

Is there a Deja Thoris series that exists? Seems like her and Red Sonja would be a good sword and sorcery series and team up.

She's going to be in Kelly Thompson's Barbarella series.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1073627310836908037?s=19

That's genuinely exciting, I can't wait to see what he'll do with Kamala.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Exiles had a tough start but now that it's found its footing is a lot of fun. His first Miles issue is really loving good and he's just taken to the medium so well. Black Bolt is required reading as far as I'm concerned.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rod Reis' art really reminds me of a slightly sketchier Phil Noto and I'm really good with that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I think it's been explained to me before, but I don't know what Callisto's power is supposed to be.

Enhanced senses it turns out, and possibly hyper-agility which is what I'd always thought her power was.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm not loving the way he seems to have ignored everything that happened with Doom over the last few years and just jumped him back to :doom:RICHARDS but at least he writes a good Ben.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

MWF was an absolutely excellent series.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

There is nothing about DIE thus far that I do not love unreservedly. I need to get physical copies of the issues, digital does not cut it for this.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Imagine a world where John Byrne or Chuck Dixon got to write Kamala.

Absolutely not, I refuse.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

News from C2E2:

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1109564599714623488

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Xorn.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I loving loved Juggernaut as a good guy, I though he worked so well on the team and I was really unhappy with his inevitable heel (re)turn. I like the character so much more when he's got some ambiguity about him, that struggle to be a hero was so much more compelling than just being a big angry stompy dumbass.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's the only thing I've liked in this Uncanny run so far, the presence of the New Mutants notwithstanding.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

And it's a better Scott than Rosenberg has been writing, so that's nice.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

52 whatevers on that list from 87 individual artists. Eight women so far as I can tell. Only one project with two women together.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Two by my count, not that it makes a huge difference.

Other than Ewing and Bartel which one did I miss?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

site posted:

Tini Howard + Kim Asamiya?

I checked that one, it's Kia Asamiya, who is male.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

But have you ever seen Walk Simonson and CB Cebulski in the same place at the same time????!?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Spider-Grover.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

My Drag Brunch With Loki was wonderful too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, it's as linear and simple as anything else involving Betsy/Kwannon.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Parallax posted:

was generation x ever any good?

It was good for a lot of its run, and it when it was firing on all cylinders it was great. I mean, it's an X-book so there's unevenness there, and admittedly it's been a few years since I've read it, but up until Ellis took over the book I have nothing but affection for it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Everyone list your favorite thing about Black Cat!

Mine is that the wizard is called a "Merlin". It cracks me up every time.

Batts and also her crew just rolling with her sudden alias adoption. I'm of a mixed mind about the art, the stuff that works really works but there are panels here and there that just aren't as strong for me. That said, some of her facial expressions are solid goddamn gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Chip Zdarsky is North America's greatest fictional character.