Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

X-O posted:

I always hope Ewing can stay on a book because he's really good. Unfortunately his books always get cut criminally short. Hulk is the first time he's on an A-List title though for a character that will probably sell regardless of who's writing so let's hope that helps.

I'm still miffed that Rocket only lasted 6 issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
"Marvel history is destroyed" definitely makes me think more goofy humor book than straight retcon, but we'll see

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Re: extermination—what about that story from a few years ago where the original X-Men returned to their time but found out they couldn’t go back because “the timeline” or whatever had already replaced them? Did that get retconned?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I think some writer or another wrote another story where those were just the evil future X-Men from Battle of the Atom in disguise

seriously?

and the story in question is only ~18 months old

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
apparently this teaser is running in every Marvel book this week

https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/1105835447731843072

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Little Mac posted:

I don't think that ad is for the Venom thing.

yeah, no idea if that's actually teasing a Hickman project, but the tones of those teasers seem so far apart that i can't imagine they'd be teasing the same book

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Tony Moore cover giving me very good Frankencastle flashbacks

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Wasn't McKeever writing Titans at the height of DC's grimdark editorial mandate, though?

yeah IIRC he complained about heavy editorial interference (at least one issue was released with no credited scripter, just a weird "original story by" credit for McKeever)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Civil War II was literally conceptualized so Marvel could have a new comic called "Civil War" on the stands as Captain America: Civil War was in the theaters. Captain Marvel wasn't announced until a month after CW2 #1 came out, so I'm not so sure those were anything more than coincidental given the lead time for a comic.

Brie Larson was officially cast in 2016, but the Captain Marvel movie was announced way back in 2014. So I definitely think the MCU was the impetus for making her so central to CWII

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Is Rocket wearing a Miami vice suit? Wait, Rocket and Tubbs?

He wore it in Ewing's short-lived Rocket series from 2017 (which was great, but too good for this world).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbMWiw6Y0A

Empyre is an Avengers/FF event by AL EWING and Dan Slott

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Alaois posted:

It's like if X-Statix sucked rear end

speaking of which, what happened to the X-Cellent? announced last summer for an unspecified "2020" date, but i don't think we've heard a word about it since then

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

that's a lot smaller than the original checklist

the original tie-in list (i think), as printed in Empyre: Avengers #0, for comparison's sake

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1296193974282199040?s=21

I would like to see it voice: I would like to see it.

i'm in, very happy to see Gillen returning to the Marvel Universe for the first time in... 5 years? his last was the Secret Wars: Siege mini, right?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Did that Al Ewing Masked Raider thing from Marvel 1000/Incoming ever get resolved, or did that fall into COVID limbo? I can’t remember the character appearing post-Incoming but my memory may be failing me

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Gripweed posted:

also holy poo poo this looks awesome

ah i do love me some Stokoe art, too bad it's just the cover

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

John was making out with dudes in the Azzarello run.
Not a Hellblazer expert but wasn’t that the first time he did anything gay on-panel (and years after his bisexuality was initially referenced)?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Lawlicaust posted:

All marvel movies pushed back. Should be quite some impacts to comic sales as well. Especially Eternals.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/23/2...-doctor-strange

the 2020/2021 movies got delayed, but none of those 2022 dates are new. as to whether those stick... :shrug:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, I'd say it's most likely because of the movie getting delayed until who knows when. This also gives them time to put more issues in the can.

it got delayed less than two months, but the movie got delayed til November 2021. I doubt there's much of a connection

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Based on the press release, this is going to be its own thing and not a storyline in Avengers.

Does "Their critically-acclaimed work on AVENGERS will reach its zenith" mean that this is the finale of Aaron's Avengers run (even though it's not in Avengers per se)?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1357034086464778241

i'm interested, Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story was great

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
is Wiccan getting aged up (Demiurge stuff?) or should I just blame Brett Booth

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i remember Marvel publishing a number of black-and-white anthology comics circa 2009-10 as homage to the 70s B&W magazines

can't remember any of them, but they had some good writers here and there so there must've been some good material somewhere

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I remember Jim Starlin saying he got paid a ton more for KGBeast appearing (pretty much unnamed) in BvsS than he did for all his creations in Marvel movies combined.

Len Wein said in one interview that he'd gotten paid more for co-creating Lucius Fox than for Wolverine

DC's (comparative) generosity re royalties probably stemmed more from rear end-covering (after Siegel and Shuster's economic straits circa Donner Superman gave them bad publicity) than anything else, though

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i'd never heard of Ace before - goddamn, that's a deep cut. Monsieur Khruul, too.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Speak posted:

Look, the main plot of ASM is definitely way too stretched out, but Spencer's Boomerang and Beetle are still fun. I've really enjoyed the Beetle dating Randy Robertson subplot.

yeah, i've genuinely enjoyed that

the Kindred/One More Day stuff is positively glacial, though

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
did Ewing comment on Joe Bennett circa the "Jewery" incident?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Skwirl posted:

They did a one shot near the start of the Krakoa era, that said they were doing an ongoing, but it was before COVID and this is the first time anyone said anything about it since so I think a lot of people like me assumed it was one of the quietly canceled books.

Allred said last year that it was still happening, but as that was over a year after the initial announcement I'd also missed it and figured it was altogether dead

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

"I'm saying what's probably a final goodbye to a lot of stuff from the past ten years with this one" - hope this doesn't mean he's wrapping up his Marvel work

Who's the woman between Iceman and Hulk? I've seen that character before, but I'm blanking

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
asking in advance of the new Timeless one-shot dropping tomorrow: in spite of last year's tease Miracleman never showed up anywhere in the Marvel Universe, did he? The variant covers from a few months back don't count.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Has The Maker been in anything since Ewing's New Avengers/US Avengers with Sunspot running the team?

He had a major role in Donny Cates' Venom run. Also appeared in the 2019 Future Foundation mini, and in a couple issues of the Ghost-Spider book in 2020 (those I didn't read, I'm going by a Marvel wiki).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I forget if the Maker has been up to anything lately. The last appearance I remember was in Cates's Venom so I'm not sure when he got captured, but it doesn't really matter for the story being told.

I don’t think he’s appeared much of anywhere between Cates’ Venom run and now (somebody let me know if I’m forgetting something).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
they did what everyone seems to have been thinking they would

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1679846479605780480

quote:

Iman Vellani, the actor who plays Kamala in the Marvel Cinematic Universe — starting with last year's Ms. Marvel series on Disney+, and continuing on the big screen with The Marvels later this year — will co-write the new comic alongside Ms. Marvel TV writer Sabir Pirzada. Carlos Gomez and Adam Gorham will handle the art, and Sara Pichelli will provide the main covers.

"This was way scarier than joining the MCU for me," Vellani tells EW. "Those projects feel like they live in their own dimension, so I guess I can separate myself easier. But you can hold a comic book! I've never written anything before in my entire life, but I have read many comics, so I just wrote what I would want to read. I was given a very professional tool to write what is essentially my own fan fiction."

In a nod to that big revelation from the Ms. Marvel series finale, the new comic will be titled Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant. Like her onscreen counterpart, the comic version of Kamala is officially a mutant now. That's also the explanation for why she's coming back so soon, because modern Marvel readers know that the X-Men have mastered the art of bringing mutants back to life.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
The first issue of the new Blade series was (I thought) pretty good. Hadn't realized that this was the character's first solo book since the Guggenheim/Chaykin series, though I guess it must be

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
a few other Marvel SDCC announcements

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status/1682474921971048448

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1682545248814219265

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1682478352597409797

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1682478199048134656

(the original tweet appears to be mistaken--this is an anniversary one-shot and not a series)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
I don’t know who wanted this, but apparently someone did

https://twitter.com/spiderman/status/1688661236785766400?s=46&t=jsXI_L75JAqioMEUgiTVQg

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i liked how Al Ewing explained the sliding timescale in his Ultimates run:

https://twitter.com/StellarAvenger/status/1617563880330346500/photo/1

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
I will still check out anything Hickman writes, but if those one-page teasers appearing in various Marvel books are supposed to hype me up, they’re not working

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

glitchwraith posted:

I am truly shocked that the ad campaign of having these unknown, original characters pop up for a single page in every other Marvel comic isn't the sure fire way of creating interest it seems to be.

Especially when most of those pages feature said characters doing little except delivering cryptic bullshit, and have almost nothing to do with the comics in which they’re appearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
figured a Marvel/Aliens comic was inevitable after Predator vs. Wolverine, but would not have expected it to come from Hickman