Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sweet, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Of course I would be mad to pass up this opportunity to highlight just how bourgeois it is to have a passport with multiple foreign stamps while others struggle to get and use food stamps...

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

freebooter posted:

Hey, has anybody renewed a passport recently? Mine's up for renewal and according to the website you need to present it so it can be "physically cancelled." It's the passport I had all through my 20s and has all my visa stickers and stuff in it so I want to keep it as a souvenir, if "physically cancelled" means they destroy it then I'll just apply for a completely new one. But I imagine that's more expensive so I thought I'd check.

They cut off part of the cover and the data page, but you get to keep the rest, IIRC.
E: f;b

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Don Dongington posted:

While everything you've said since returning to this thread is remarkably wrong, this is definitely the MOST wrong you have been so far.

There is nothing wrong with the Greens policies, or the brand, and everything wrong with the way the media in Western English speaking countries currently works to manipulate politics by selective messaging.

You idiot. You absolute moron.

Could it be how the greens work the media? No it must be the media that's wrong.

This attitude is what's wrong with greens strategists. The idea that the greens are right and it's just the manipulated electorate that's wrong, without coming up with an alternative. Because the greens try and position themselves as lab/lib but nice, they get eaten up by the actual big players. The greens should be working more outside mainstream media: school newsletters, community group meetings etc. People believe word of mouth. But keep on clinging to that 2-8% believing that one day the media moguls will die and then you'll see!!!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Just FYI also I thought the main issue with the groins is that they are happy to advocate for free tuition, healthcare etc while failing to point to specific people who will not be worse off if they get it. Instead of saying “we should make bankers and CEOs pay for it” they should point at all the average joes who will not pay for it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Don Dongington posted:

While everything you've said since returning to this thread is remarkably wrong, this is definitely the MOST wrong you have been so far.

There is nothing wrong with the Greens policies, or the brand, and everything wrong with the way the media in Western English speaking countries currently works to manipulate politics by selective messaging.

You idiot. You absolute moron.

your lack of comprehension is astounding, i've never said change policies, i've actually said the opposite.

here is the current state of affairs : greens voters crack shits because it's all too hard because the big bad media are against us. no, it has absolutely nothing to do with how the greens conduct things, it's all external. let's just whinge about that and keep doing the same old poo poo

Beetphyxious posted:

Skinner the kids are wrong.gif

it is you, who is in fact, the moron.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

asio posted:

There's nothing wrong with greens policy: many in this thread have seen (and mentioned) studies that show most Australians are on board with a clean beach and a welfare system that lets them live there. As for negative press: the ALP have managed ok for the past x years with negative press.

The problem is their strategy. The fallacy is the greens idea that "It's obvious, it's the best, duh" and that eventually everywhere will go green. Look at the qld state election: for some reason the greens strategy said they had a good chance of unseating a deputy premier (in sth bris). Deputy premiers don't get voted out in qld. The idea was that the gabba "stronghold" would tentacle green votes out into the surrounding areas. This is so dumb and also runs counter to the greens pillar that grassroots wins out. They started with a Top 5 seats to win. Then it dropped to four. Then eventually one (sth bris). Deputy premier kept her seat (like was always going to happen) and the candidate from extremely-wealthy Moggill became the first qld greens MP. Bit of a drive from Gabba to Moggill.

Another example is Vic greens running on adani. What a joke. Vic greens running on adani while the qld greens senator visits Melbourne during world environment day. Victorians care about Victoria. People in Melbourne don't vote for qld senators.

If the greens got over this "green tide" idea and could stomach supporting seats not in the inner city then the vote would increase. Greens can't compete with the mega political brands elsewhere in the country: not just because they aren't as rich (greens are still rich) but because their whole political brand is anti-political-brand. People want their green to be a local fighter with an unhealthy dislike of politicians, not some inner city wannabe with one ear and both eyes to Melbourne (unless you live in Melbourne then that should be the main priority of your local green, not qld).

hey don, this is a smart person and a smart persons post. try be more like them instead of just calling people morons maybe?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

asio is 100% on the money there

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

hamboot

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I think asio has been very right with everything they have posted over the last couple of pages. That is all.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Beetphyxious posted:

your lack of comprehension is astounding, i've never said change policies, i've actually said the opposite.

here is the current state of affairs : greens voters crack shits because it's all too hard because the big bad media are against us. no, it has absolutely nothing to do with how the greens conduct things, it's all external. let's just whinge about that and keep doing the same old poo poo

it is you, who is in fact, the moron.

I actually kinda-sorta agree with you on this one.

I know a lot of people who support offshore processing, but suddenly change their minds when they find out how much it costs (the numbers are mind-boggling).

Turns out people don't give a gently caress about how it's cruel but do care about it being a gigantic waste of money.

But I havent see any Greens actually say that. Or maybe the media has just manipulated me, who knows?!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Some good thought-law following in here citizens, good work, carry on, vote republican

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What is the fear this thread has about unions "controlling policy" and Labor "union thug image"? How much trash Murdoch media do you consume?

Other than the SDA, the unions are on the left of the party. Australian Unions has just won family violence leave. The unions were one of the biggest supporters of the Yes vote marriage campaign.

Labor represents working people and working people are represented by unions.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

froglet posted:

I actually kinda-sorta agree with you on this one.

of course you do, i'm ace

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What is the fear this thread has about unions "controlling policy" and Labor "union thug image"? How much trash Murdoch media do you consume?

Other than the SDA, the unions are on the left of the party. Australian Unions has just won family violence leave. The unions were one of the biggest supporters of the Yes vote marriage campaign.

Labor represents working people and working people are represented by unions.

yeah i dunno that was bell jar i thought it was satire at first

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
RDN should do a front page interview in The Australian.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Beetphyxious posted:

of course you do, i'm ace
you'll find the right person someday. i believe in you

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I was wondering what good history books on Australia I should find to read in my spare time. Biographies?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

RDN should do a front page interview in The Australian.

Australia Needs Dick

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Natale, The

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What is the fear this thread has about unions "controlling policy"

I don't know if you know this, but in many states the Labor conferences have 50% of delegates put forward by affiliated unions (unions that contribute heavily financially to the party). These ratios of actual members to union delegates are carried across at the national level, too. Considering that the Labor parties use their conferences to determine party policy, don't you think that having 50% of the vote in exchange for money is unfair? Do you think that private companies should be able to do the same thing?

I'm saying this as a super leftist who strongly encourages joining and supporting unions. But they're a vehicle for industrial action not necessarily political action, and the desires of union leadership may be out of touch with the desires of their union members (do they get to vote on which policies their delegates support?) let alone out of touch with the actual members of the political parties.

I never said they were thugs, but they definitely have a strong interest in ALP policy

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Time and again has shown that going right on issues (like Labor) doesn't actually win you votes it just alienate people who like you. Australians like progressive policies overall, go hard left greens, even if the media mocks you, they're going to do it anyway.

The greens will never appease their critics, so go for the best possible policies and let the votes fall where they may.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

asio posted:

Australia Needs Dick

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Who said the greens should move right?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I have a new policy to make the Greens win. They'll give everyone cool hats, if any of you disagree with any part of this policy, you just want the greens party to stagnate and die and I'll whinge about it for three pages while constantly saying I'm stopping okay?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Gentleman Baller posted:

I just want the greens party to stagnate and die

:emptyquote: :yeah:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

"the greens are super swell mister, you better watch what you say!" says gentleman baller from the kids table.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

watch out beet you get probied for slapfighting around here these days

I suppose one of the reasons I'm annoyed at unions having a stake in the ALP is that it makes it harder for them to switch to supporting other parties *cough*greens*cough* as the ALP continue down the road of LNP-lite

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

bell jar posted:

I don't know if you know this, but in many states the Labor conferences have 50% of delegates put forward by affiliated unions (unions that contribute heavily financially to the party). These ratios of actual members to union delegates are carried across at the national level, too. Considering that the Labor parties use their conferences to determine party policy, don't you think that having 50% of the vote in exchange for money is unfair? Do you think that private companies should be able to do the same thing?

I'm saying this as a super leftist who strongly encourages joining and supporting unions. But they're a vehicle for industrial action not necessarily political action, and the desires of union leadership may be out of touch with the desires of their union members (do they get to vote on which policies their delegates support?) let alone out of touch with the actual members of the political parties.

I never said they were thugs, but they definitely have a strong interest in ALP policy

Equating unions to private companies is a really misguided way to think.

Asking unions to be limited to industrial action is so misguided because advocating policy change often is in the best interests of their members (like the family violence leave mentioned above). Let me give you an example. You only get long service leave in Victoria if you've been with an employer for over seven years. In contract cleaning and security industries, employers often change hands over a site before seven years have elapsed, meaning staff doing the exact same job, same hours will lose LSL because of a business change over their heads.

That's unfair and unions have successfully lobbied the Andrews Labor government to change the policy. Merely taking "industrial action" and not pushing for legislative change would NOT be in their members' interests.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

"the greens are super swell mister, you better watch what you say!" says gentleman baller from the kids table.

Someone disagreeing with your idea doesn't mean that person thinks the greens are perfect and you've made that deflection so many times I can't tell whether it's just a silly joke you love or if you genuinely believe it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
THE secret GetUp! call-centre script used in the Longman by-election obliterates the organisation’s claim they are independent, with voters told not to support the Turnbull Government candidate to stop “billions of dollars in tax cuts to big corporations.”

The activist organisation bought a commercial database of phone numbers for almost 30,000 people in the Queensland electorate and called on 400 people to man a call-centre that encouraged voters to support the ALP or Greens.

The revelations about the full extent of GetUp!’ s role in the Longman by-election comes as the fallout continues within the Turnbull government over the LNP’s disastrous primary vote of just under 30 per cent — a 10 per cent swing against them since the 2016 federal election.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained GetUp!’ s script that its 400 workers used in call-centres to encourage support for Labor and the Greens in the weekend’s by-election in the Queensland seat.

“At the moment the LNP have a plan to give tens of billions of dollars in tax cuts to big corporations — money which could be spent to improve Caboolture State High, or fund Caboolture hospital,” the script states.

“I’m going to be a little bold here. But if this billion-dollar handout to this to the big end of town is of concern for you, then I strongly recommend that you put Trevor Ruthenburg (sic) and the LNP last on your voting ballot this electorate.”

The calls were made in the final three weeks of the campaign as GetUp!national director Paul Oosting said the group has changed its focus from online activism to person-to-person connections.

GetUp!has long fought allegations that it was in the pocket of Labor and has received union funding, but Mr Oosting insisted the organisation was “fiercely independent”.

He said volunteers were encouraged to have a “genuine conversation” with the voters on the other end of the line, which could last up to 30 minutes, about an issue rather than having the feel of a robocall.

The script, which was regularly updated, was provided as back-up if volunteers struggled with the conversation.

“It can be extremely intimidating talking to someone who is trying to cook dinner,” he said.

“We have the script there so if they (the volunteers) want to run through it.

“We’re really hopeful that the Turnbull Government will take the right lesson from this (the by-election) and take the right approach to the company tax cuts.”

One script change was to advise volunteers to put the LNP as one of their bottom preferences, rather than last, after Dr Jim Saleam, a former neo-Nazi, was announced as a candidate for the Australia First Party.

The change in strategy has also spurred on the creation of “action groups” in 40 electorates it describes as holding Tupperware-style parties where volunteers hosting phone call nights at their homes rather than making calls from a central office.

It followed a “sobering” analysis of the 2016 Federal Election in which Mr Oosting said GetUp!realised that it needed to update its strategy and decentralise.

“In a sense it’s less targeted but we’re connecting real people with real people,” he said.

Liberal strategists said the script “shows what the Government is up against” particularly in Queensland where GetUp!focuses time and resources on trying to bring down Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bell jar posted:

I suppose one of the reasons I'm annoyed at unions having a stake in the ALP is that it makes it harder for them to switch to supporting other parties *cough*greens*cough* as the ALP continue down the road of LNP-lite

The fact that the ALP still take money from the SDA is a loving disgrace too. Anyone who supports workers should make a point to avoid those wage thieving scabs.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Not all unions are ALP affiliated, and I know mine at least votes on policy positions at a yearly national council. I would assume most national unions would do the same, and state-based unions at the state level?

The tough part is when the national body is stuffed with dusty old men, who are socially conservative as a result of being dusty old men. However, there's a movement in my union - and maybe others can confirm if this is present in the Union Movement as a whole - to start getting younger people into leadership positions before everyone retires or dies and people forget how to run them. This will also have the (possibly intentional) side effect of sending the unions socially leftward, which is cool and good.

Now, as I understand it, the ALP Parliamentary Right aren't as closely affiliated with the trade union movement as the ALP left? Somebody can probably explain it better as the ALP factions don't really make a lot of sense from the outside in - but as i gather, the right faction candidates aren't all SDA appointed scrunts, or highly ambitious union officials brandishing sharp knives like Our Bill - a lot of them are just party hacks? Anyway, just having the unions renewed with more younger people, women and minorities doesn't guarantee ALP policy drifts leftward, if there are enough right wing party hacks there to vote against it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gentleman Baller posted:

Someone disagreeing with your idea doesn't mean that person thinks the greens are perfect and you've made that deflection so many times I can't tell whether it's just a silly joke you love or if you genuinely believe it.

that's all well and good except you weren't just commenting on the idea, were you?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

THE secret GetUp! call-centre script used in the Longman by-election obliterates the organisation’s claim they are independent, with voters told not to support the Turnbull Government candidate to stop “billions of dollars in tax cuts to big corporations.”

The activist organisation bought a commercial database of phone numbers for almost 30,000 people in the Queensland electorate and called on 400 people to man a call-centre that encouraged voters to support the ALP or Greens.

The revelations about the full extent of GetUp!’ s role in the Longman by-election comes as the fallout continues within the Turnbull government over the LNP’s disastrous primary vote of just under 30 per cent — a 10 per cent swing against them since the 2016 federal election.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained GetUp!’ s script that its 400 workers used in call-centres to encourage support for Labor and the Greens in the weekend’s by-election in the Queensland seat.

“At the moment the LNP have a plan to give tens of billions of dollars in tax cuts to big corporations — money which could be spent to improve Caboolture State High, or fund Caboolture hospital,” the script states.

“I’m going to be a little bold here. But if this billion-dollar handout to this to the big end of town is of concern for you, then I strongly recommend that you put Trevor Ruthenburg (sic) and the LNP last on your voting ballot this electorate.”

The calls were made in the final three weeks of the campaign as GetUp!national director Paul Oosting said the group has changed its focus from online activism to person-to-person connections.

GetUp!has long fought allegations that it was in the pocket of Labor and has received union funding, but Mr Oosting insisted the organisation was “fiercely independent”.

He said volunteers were encouraged to have a “genuine conversation” with the voters on the other end of the line, which could last up to 30 minutes, about an issue rather than having the feel of a robocall.

The script, which was regularly updated, was provided as back-up if volunteers struggled with the conversation.

“It can be extremely intimidating talking to someone who is trying to cook dinner,” he said.

“We’re really hopeful that the Turnbull Government will take the right lesson from this (the by-election) and take the right approach to the company tax cuts.”

One script change was to advise volunteers to put the LNP as one of their bottom preferences, rather than last, after Dr Jim Saleam, a former neo-Nazi, was announced as a candidate for the Australia First Party.

The change in strategy has also spurred on the creation of “action groups” in 40 electorates it describes as holding Tupperware-style parties where volunteers hosting phone call nights at their homes rather than making calls from a central office.

It followed a “sobering” analysis of the 2016 Federal Election in which Mr Oosting said GetUp!realised that it needed to update its strategy and decentralise.

“In a sense it’s less targeted but we’re connecting real people with real people,” he said.

Liberal strategists said the script “shows what the Government is up against” particularly in Queensland where GetUp!focuses time and resources on trying to bring down Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton.

oh no not a partisan private company

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

That's unfair and unions have successfully lobbied the Andrews Labor government to change the policy. Merely taking "industrial action" and not pushing for legislative change would NOT be in their members' interests.

Agreed - I suppose I'm just annoyed at the mechanism for pushing for political action. I don't know what the best way to go about this sort of thing would be (free/discounted party membership for union members?) but I know that if I was a member of the ALP and wanting to push for change it would be annoying that (amongst other lovely things that the ALP currently does in determining policy and leadership) the power of the rank and file vote is essentially diminished by a group of people that may or may not be members of my party.

I'd really be interested in a mechanism where unions poll their members to see which party they'd prefer to contribute to/split contributions among multiple parties.

It feels like having half the party be actual unionists/working class/labour force, and the other half of the party (seemingly) want to march headlong into neo-liberalism isn't the effective way to go about strengthening protections and benefits for workers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

The Daily Telegraph living in that glass house.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bombshell revelation that progressive pressure group recommends against voting LNP

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hasn't the ETU in vic been continually supporting the greens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The Daily Telegraph living in that glass house.

I'm going to laugh all the way to the pub if the LNP's attempt to regulate Get Up has the unintentional consequence of forcing the Tele to be more bipartisan

Because that's exactly the kind of gently caress up I expect from this government.

• Locked thread