Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
AusPol told me Anthony Albanese is a leftist hero and it turns out he is bad, so I'm pretty sure that means thread villain SHY is actually awesome and this whole thing with Sexist Hat Man certainly helps that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I honestly put myself forward for every promotion I have a chance of getting, but it's not because I'm a greedy narcissist, it's because all my co workers are brainless morons and I want more money. It's an important distinction idk maybe SHY is in the same boat

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Stand before courts, make football men stand for the national anthem, make your children pledge loyalty to the flag of Australia. It's called showing RESPECT (For corrupt institutions)

Tbh though I think Australian courts are pretty drat worthy of respect, it just seems like a dumb poo poo American nationalistic law.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Thread was 100% wrong when it painted Albo as a champion of the left instead of just another spineless poll chasing career politician. Thread is 100% wrong when it tries to paint Shorten as anything other than (for better and worse) another, albiet a less smart, Wayne Swan.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
RIP Dick Smith's OzEnuts. That thing I bought one time as a joke but honestly it didn't taste as good as craft. The brightest flames burn out quickest.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

Albanese, who blindly followed a news corp narrative that he had to know was built on the flimsiest foundations

The CPG and News especially, who have been fiddling with polls for the past 12+ months in order to twist the narrative away from the massive electoral spanking that is totally due for the Liberal's. They think that hiding the real scale of public distaste will prevent donors from leaving the sinking ship like rats. Problem is, at some point they must have started believing their own spin, because they based their own campaign against Shorten on a projected mediocre performance, which was well short of what he managed to deliver. What confidence in the media and CPG remained has got to take a huge hit from this.

Turnbull, who really has nothing left to show for his leadership performance. And now Dutton knows the gerrymandering of Dickson won't save him, he's going to get desperate.

I can easily believe each of these people feel like they're the biggest loser out of this weekend. Good stuff.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

Albo took a shot at the right faction but it was about the party presidency/national conference and not the leadership

Wasn't his 'shot at the right faction' telling them to go through with Turnbull's absurd tax cuts for big businesses and not repeal them like Shorten wanted?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

Did I say change policies? No, no I did not. Zero points comprehension for you.

They have an image problem. How do you solve that?

"Uhh ignore it?"

When the air is toxic and the crops desolate, Australia will admit the greens were righteous assholes and if only they were more polite and better at getting their message across, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
In Longman, I had quick look at the state Science Party's platform, and aside from some difference in some numbers they seemed quite similar. They only got 1% of the vote though, so either rebranding is dumb, or the rebranding needs to exclusively be done to dumb boomers and I don't think that's possible for the Greens.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
The White Party

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Laserface posted:

the environmental poo poo can be done in the background because literally nobody notices (see: All the anti-environment poo poo that happens all the time with zero interference)

I admire your optimism, but surely for this to work this way, that whole, '[whatever] party hates businesses and want to kill thousands of jobs because they love trees' thing would need to either not be done, or not be accepted by voters. And if either of those were the case, why rebrand?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

That's highly specific to Tasmania. I so that think it's been a great federal issue for ages. While the carbon tax was environmentally based it was all just about taxes and hurting jobs and income and $3000 bottles of gas or whatever.

That specific issue is a Tasmanian one, yeah, but as an example, the Green's Murray Darling Basin plan has less support than the Carbon Tax did. As far as I can tell, polling for green positions is great, but as soon as you have a policy ironed out all the Liberal party needs to do is adopt a far shittier position, like an emissions trading scheme vs your carbon tax, and sit back as huge swaths of the media agree that the Liberal position is the rational adult one whereas the Not Greens Party policy is too extreme and will hurt the precious economy. Living in QLD, I shudder to imagine how hard the fight against Adani would be if the company wasn't Indian.

Don't get me wrong, rebranding could benefit the party in plenty of ways, but I just can't see how it'd stop the usual suspects from letting sensible environmental policy go through without turning it into a huge issue.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

the greens have an image problem that is an issue of their legacy of tree hippies. re branding allows that image to be shed quicker than just charging ahead and pretending there isn't a problem.

they might hit similar roadblocks at the onset, but i don't see that as a reason to not do it, especially as those roadblocks are definitely there now and are not going anywhere, but with the alternative?

otherwise the strategy is just 'wait for the other parties to stop using that against us' and that's not a strategy either.

My objection was specifically to the idea that rebranding would allow the Greens to do environmentalism in the background. No matter what they're called, if they're pursuing policies that favour the environment over vested interests how could it be allowed to be in the background? Labor's environmental policies, even the ones that don't have anything to do with the greens party, aren't allowed in the background.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I have a new policy to make the Greens win. They'll give everyone cool hats, if any of you disagree with any part of this policy, you just want the greens party to stagnate and die and I'll whinge about it for three pages while constantly saying I'm stopping okay?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

"the greens are super swell mister, you better watch what you say!" says gentleman baller from the kids table.

Someone disagreeing with your idea doesn't mean that person thinks the greens are perfect and you've made that deflection so many times I can't tell whether it's just a silly joke you love or if you genuinely believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

that's all well and good except you weren't just commenting on the idea, were you?

I, and other people you used that false dichotomy on, didn't do anything to indicate they believed the greens have no need for any changes and its a dumb tactic and also my hat idea is actually great.

• Locked thread