Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-01/greyhound-trainers-concerned-reforms-could-destroy-industry/9914870

quote:

NSW Greyhound breeders and trainers are concerned statewide reforms which have started today, could ultimately destroy the industry.
oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Our sport, which is not at all cruel to animals, cannot survive now we are required not to be cruel to animals

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/sleemol/status/1013254910597402626

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Centrelink thought I'd reported income incorrectly so sent a letter demanding I report it all again, so I went into a Centrelink office to tell them their sum was correct. No you can't hand it in at a Centrelink office, no you can't just email it to us, sorry we're having difficulty taking down your spreadsheet over the phone, no you can't sign up for the online reporting if you don't have a driver's licence or passport, you're going to have to go into a Centrelink office

I hand copied a spreadsheet because I don't have a printer and took it in a couple of months ago but they haven't bothered getting back to me

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/1013566137076858880

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-02/apvma-allows-some-staff-to-remain-in-canberra/9930670

quote:

The agency that former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce demanded move to his own electorate has been forced to maintain a Canberra office amid fears staff departures would risk its ability to do its job.
The chemical and pesticides regulator, Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA), will allow about a quarter of its staff to keep working from its Canberra office, while the remainder will work from Armidale in regional NSW.
There has been a high turnover of staff, including the departure of the former chief executive, since Mr Joyce announced the move during the 2016 election.

The authority had 198 staff at the end of June 2016, but since then at least 110 of its employees have departed, including 33 regulatory scientists.

Its purpose-built offices are expected to be finished by the middle of 2019 and would house about 150 staff.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

what the poo poo

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/foodora-rider-fights-dismissal-from-food-delivery-service/9934138

quote:

A former food delivery rider who is claiming unfair dismissal at the Fair Work Commission says he is fighting for change in the gig economy, in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in Australia.
Josh Klooger, 28, said he first started to work for food delivery service Foodora in Melbourne in 2016.
"I thought I had found the dream job. Getting paid to ride a bike," he said.
"At the time, it was pretty good. I was getting $14 an hour and $5 per delivery," he said outside the commission in Sydney.
But over time the wages for new riders fell, he said.
"It reduced to $13 an hour, $3 per delivery. Then in October 2016, it dropped down to $10 an order and zero per hour," Mr Klooger said.
The payment per order dropped further in 2017 and was $7 an order in early 2018.
Mr Klooger said he was dismissed in March for publicly talking about his pay and conditions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/pacemaker-secret-payments-helping-private-hospital-profits/9923964

quote:

An ABC investigation has found private hospitals and clinics are getting between 5 and 50 per cent of the value of pacemakers as rebate payments in cash, or in-kind, for using a particular company's brand.
Under one agreement, a clinic attracted rebates of up to 50 per cent for purchases that added up to more than $3 million.
Legal experts and industry insiders say this payment is better described as a kickback, it could be costing the health system millions, inflating insurance premiums, and ultimately impacting on public-hospital patients.

Under the scheme, a doctor recommends a pacemaker for a patient. The doctor then informs the private hospital and that hospital requests that device from the manufacturer.
The hospital invoices the health insurer, which pays the hospital for the full cost of the pacemaker, and this invoice is then paid in full back to the manufacturer.
The manufacturer then "rebates" a proportion of the total cost back to the private hospital. That rebate is subject to negotiation and varies between hospitals.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-04/incineration-clean-energy-finance-corporation/9935186

quote:

Incinerating household waste using "best-practice" European combustion technology meets the criteria for investment by Australia's national clean energy bank.
The Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC) — which has never invested in an incineration project before — has indicated it is open to financing such schemes.
Australia ready to become a world leader in "clean tire fire" technology

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Ugh I had a brief moment of optimism for this rotten country

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/sarah-hanson-young-david-leyonhjelm-defamation-letter

quote:

Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young will sue senator David Leyonhjelm for defamation unless he apologises and pays her compensation for a series of comments he made about her in recent days.

Hanson-Young's lawyer, Rebekah Giles, sent a letter to the Liberal Democrat senator on Wednesday saying he had defamed Hanson-Young by suggesting, among other things, that she "is a slut, shagging men indiscriminately".
Giles, a partner with Kennedys law firm, told BuzzFeed News that if Leyonhjelm didn't acquiesce to the demands made in the concerns notice within a week, she will file a defamation lawsuit on Hanson-Young's behalf.

Along with an unreserved apology and paying compensation, the letter asks Leyonhjelm to stop making defamatory statements about Hanson-Young and to not destroy any emails, texts, call records and so on relating to the statements he made about her.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I reckon this letter and the request for apology mean Leyonhjelm's absolutely hosed if he doesn't, because Hanson Young's side can point to it in court to say she's genuinely aggrieved and was only interested in the apology. I also think online libertarians, MRAs etc will interpret the letter as 'asking for an apology means she knows she doesn't have a good argument to make in court, she's not going to sue'

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I would have guessed he'd take legal advice, apologise and continue mouthing off in the senate. He's unreal

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Where do all these insane assholes (freelance scientologists, libertarians) keep getting the idea that anybody is "blaming all men" for whatever it is they're talking about? These dudes are hosed in the head

His end goal is to make it legal to carry weapons around, "women should take responsibility (by owning tasers)" gets answered with "it's not womens' fault they get murdered", which gets strawmanned as "all men are rapists" it's really simple and makes so much sense

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-06/possum-gets-head-stuck-in-empty-nutella-jar/9948162

quote:

A possum's sweet tooth has come back to bite it after getting its head stuck in an empty jar of Nutella.
The marsupial was found out the back of a home in Loganholme, south of Brisbane, on Monday, with its head firmly stuck in the plastic jar.
RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said the possum was found by a man after his dog showed "great interest" in the bins outside.
"The man looked around the back of the shed near the garbage bin and there was the possum with his head caught," Mr Beatty said.
"It managed to get his head in the jar, but obviously couldn't get it out."
The home owner called the RSPCA's animal emergency hotline, and a volunteer attended and was able to free the possum with the help of a water-based lubricant.
They took the possum to the RSPCA's native wildlife hospital at Wacol for observation.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Hope to hear about Leyonhjelm's idiot fans throwing their money into the fire

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Reporter: Mr Leyonjhelm, it looks like you'll have to sell your house to pay the damages and your legal bills, how do you feel?
David Leyonjhelm: Wow did I own you? Are you triggered? hahahaha.

If he loses it's because the system is unfair and against him and he's justified standing up for all the men accused of misandry

e: or whatever the proper word is, whoops

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Has tampon taxation been mentioned in the recent GST redistribution or is that 'not the right time'?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-09/hanson-young-crowdfunding-leyonhjelm-defamation-action/9960540

quote:

Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young has launched a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the legal costs in her defamation action against fellow senator David Leyonhjelm.
I guess a parliamentary salary just isn't enough to get by

https://www.gofundme.com/SarahHansonYoung-LegalFund
$25,140 of $1 goal
Raised by 787 people in 2 days

https://www.gofundme.com/fight-the-greens
$9,855 of $100,000 goal
Raised by 209 people in 3 days

This is a little bit silly

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Anidav posted:

So Fairfax published what is essentially an editorial by Steve Bannon today

ok

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Who films a television in portrait?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

Who films a television in portrait?

Twitter user Steve, obviously, idiot

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The audio's worse than the text of the tweet suggests, dude is talking about how western know how and western technology saved some children

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-11/moutiaa-el-zahed-sentenced-to-community-service-for-not-standing/9980002

quote:

The wife of an Islamic State recruiter who is the first person in New South Wales to be charged for refusing to stand in court for a judge has been sentenced to 75 hours of community service.
Moutiaa El-Zahed, 50, was found guilty in May of nine counts of engaging in disrespectful behaviour in court, an offence that was introduced in NSW in 2016.
The mother-of-two did not observe court protocol by rising to her feet when NSW District Court Judge Audrey Balla entered and left the court room during a civil hearing in November and December 2016.
El-Zahed, who is the wife of convicted Islamic State recruiter Hamdi Alqudsi, had brought a lawsuit against NSW and federal police, claiming she was assaulted during a counter-terror raid at her home in 2014.
During that hearing, El-Zahed's barrister Clive Evatt told the court, "she won't stand for anyone except Allah".
The civil case was dismissed but the nine charges of not standing in court for Judge Balla were heard by Magistrate Carolyn Huntsman in the Downing Centre Local Court.
For today's sentencing, El-Zahed entered the courtroom several minutes before Magistrate Huntsman and stood in front of her seat instead of taking it.
When the court officer gave the instruction, "silence, please all stand", everyone else in the courtroom stood for the magistrate but El-Zahed was already on her feet.
At one point halfway through proceedings, the 50-year-old stood up and walked out of the court without bowing to the magistrate.
It is court protocol to bow to a magistrate or judge if entering or leaving the court room while they are still sitting.
When Magistrate Huntsman asked what was going on, El-Zahed's lawyers looked confused, but after speaking with their client quickly, they told the court she had to go to the bathroom.
Magistrate Huntsman said she would have adjourned proceedings if she had been asked to and that it was out of the ordinary for an accused person to just walk out.
"I am of the view that the behaviour is significant," Magistrate Huntsman added.
"It matters not that it didn't disrupt the proceedings … [what] matters is the level of disrespect.
"What that behaviour did was communicate to everybody that the court was not deserving of respect."

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Probably those pumps were only rated for gender fluids

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

i thought going in a few minutes early to stand until everyone else got there and causing a fuss just by going to the toilet were funny

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

is this dickhead taking up three seats for his jacket and his loving ipad

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-12/sydney-compliance-blitz-catches-cheap-eats-businesses/9982372

quote:

A compliance blitz of a popular "cheap eats" precinct in Sydney has found 70 per cent of businesses were in breach of workplace laws.
As part of an ongoing "intelligence-led" campaign into the hospitality industry, the Fair Work Ombudsman audited 67 cafes, restaurants and fast food businesses on Glebe Point Road in Glebe.
After interviewing staff and scrutinising employment records, inspectors recovered $188,125 in under-paid wages for 176 employees at 29 businesses.

Auditors also made unannounced visits to two other foodie precincts across the country at Victoria Street in Richmond, Melbourne, and Fortitude Valley in Brisbane.
"Each of these precincts is an established 'cheap eat' destination where businesses are often (but not exclusively) seven-day operations," the Food Precincts Activity report stated.
"The FWO had concerns about high rates of labour turnover, readily accessible (and often vulnerable) workforces, and menu prices that appeared to be 'too good to be true', creating a potential environment of systemic non-compliance."
Across the three cities, this blitz found workers were owed $471,904.
The non-compliance rate was the highest on Victoria Street in Melbourne, with 81 per cent of businesses not meeting workplace law requirements.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Lid posted:

"America can't be expected to fight harder for its Australian ally than we would be prepared to fight for ourselves or to do more for Australia than we would already do for ourselves," he said.

How many pointless wars do we need to follow the States into

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Chinese troops land in Darwin, seize baby formula warehouse

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/stilgherrian/status/1016956446204784640
im here, to fight for the virtue of lee lin chin's tweeter

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

i'm basically like the thunderbirds except for online

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I haven't felt this betrayed by a twitter brand since I discovered Bert and Ernie don't write their own tweets

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Does this mean we're ignoring the rest of the crooked-looking stuff the government's been doing to cover this up

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

She's harder to make out than they are

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-13/nsw-mp-david-maguire-tells-icac-he-sought-return-property-deal/9991522

quote:

New South Wales MP Daryl Maguire has admitted before an ICAC inquiry that he sought a "dividend" over a property deal that is the subject of a corruption investigation.
The corruption watchdog is investigating claims of improper conduct by former Canterbury City councillors Michael Hawatt and Pierre Azzi.
Mr Maguire, the Liberal MP for Wagga Wagga, has told the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) he pursued Mr Hawatt on behalf of Chinese "friends" from the company Country Garden who he was trying to help get established in Australia.
In a phone conversation played before the inquiry from May 2016, Mr Maguire said his friends were "mega big with mega money" and wanted to invest in as many as 30 development-approved properties.
Mr Hawatt suggested a $48 million project on Canterbury Road in Canterbury.
In the phone call, Mr Maguire asks Mr Hawatt what his margin is on the property.
Mr Hawatt tells Mr Maguire his margin is 1.5 per cent.
"1.5 per cent divided by two isn't very good, Mr Maguire replies.
"Three per cent is a lot better, if you know what I'm talking about."

When questioned by counsel assisting the commission, David Buchanan, Mr Maguire said he had no client or consultant relationship with Country Garden.
But when challenged as to why he was interested in what the margin was on the property, Mr Maguire told the hearing: "It appears I was talking about a dividend."
"Who was the intended person?" Mr Buchanan asked.
"I suspect it was me," Mr Maguire replied.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Oh Lauren Southern's in the country and has been on Sky News. Just the usual stuff from her

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I heard she just filled in her form wrong. Though she is here to show a doco about how white South African farmers are being murdered so it wouldn't be a surprise if she was at the front of the queue

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

There's an Australian company that sells milk pasteurised with high pressure instead of heat it's pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.madebycow.com.au/frequently-asked-questions/

• Locked thread