Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No Game's July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's honestly heartbreaking that the original masters of Riven were lost and we'll likely never get an HD rerelease unless it's built up from scratch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has Arkane ever had a game sell well on release? They do some good work but I think most people became enamored with Dishonored and Prey once they were already on deep discount.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I dont buy into the whole EA 'Single player is dead' spiel.

Single-player may not be dead, but the hope of seeing AAA SP games from multiplat publishers without some kind of microtransaction tail everybody hates is deffo on the decline. Sony and Nintendo still invest in them because they have to sell consoles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

good third party aaa titles are mostly dead and most big third party western publishers don't see making a greater number of cheaper games as an alternative worth bothering with despite it being something other corners of the market have found plenty of success doing

It's in the publishers' best interests that production costs remain high so that it increases the barriers to entry for competition and the likelihood that any fledgling studio will need to sign on with them for distribution.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Games so good they sell consoles and sell like crazy but no third party wants a piece.

It's not a question of profit, it's a question of scale. Like Horizon Zero Dawn got all kinds of great reviews, won tons of awards and sold 8 million units in a year, which is about equal to... *checks notes* the lifetime sales of video game pariah and object of mass ridicule Star Wars Battlefront II. And it doesn't have the microtransactions or lootboxes that are responsible for the vast majority of money EA makes. Even if they lost every single one of their other licenses they'd still make $700mil a year from FIFA cards, poo poo's ridiculous. And they can keep churning out the same FIFA with the same monetization model year after year, whereas single-player games have to take creative risks all the time and there's always the danger that the next game may not be as big of a hit. When it comes to pleasing your shareholders, nobody is gonna simply like "lots of money" when "metric shitton of money" is the other option. They're gonna re-up on the metric shitton every time, and what's more they're gonna say gently caress you to the studios only making lots of money, go make a game more like the metric shitton of money!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

EA actually told shareholders that DLC, lootboxes, and microtransactions barely make them any money. The majority of their profit comes in straight game sales. EA can make all of their DLC free and it would change nothing for their bottom line.

I'm sure they would like people to think that, but their quarterly earnings statements show otherwise:

quote:

"EA squeaked by Q3:F18 guidance as fairly horrific game sales were offset by almost unbelievably strong live services revenue," Cowen analyst Doug Creutz wrote in a note to clients Wednesday. "EA's Ultimate Team clearly had a huge inflection in its growth rate."

EA shares have lagged the market in recent months due to investor worries about its "Star Wars" title's sales, following outrage over the game's initial monetization strategy. The company's stock declined 1 percent through Tuesday versus the S&P 500's 10 percent gain since EA reported its Sept. quarter results on Oct. 31.

EA's live services segment, which consists of in-game purchases [microtransactions] and add-on content, surged 39 percent to $787 million in sales for its fiscal third quarter. The company said the increase was driven by the Ultimate Team mode in its sports games, where gamers buy player card packs, and "The Sims 4" content.

But anyway, congrats on getting married!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My wife and I moved into our current apartment on what was probably the hottest day of the year many Julys ago. I'm completely serious when I say getting the couch up to the second floor nearly destroyed our marriage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

drat, Ubisoft's tech is so advanced they even procedurally generated gentrification.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Myst is really good and basically single-handedly responsible for the explosion of PC games to CD-ROM. Riven is the real masterpiece of the series though and I think inarguably one of the greatest point and click adventure games ever made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think being crushed under the combined weight of your amiibos and funkopops would be the most epically late capitalist way to go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't get it, some couple sets up two passengers on an airplane and makes some big dumb twitter thread about it? That's it??

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Plants are some of the most aggressive and invasive motherfuckers on the planet. Never trust a plant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't believe a movie as gay as Call Me By Your Name had zero dicks in it. Boobs yes, schlongs no. Nada! What a disappointment, or should I say, a dicksappointment!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Never Say Never Again had a bangin' main theme.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's extremely hosed they got fired for that unless there's some kind of history there.

It's extreme that the GW2 writer was fired but she was kind of a jerk to that other dude for no reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think being a game developer as a career has enough downsides without having to walk on eggshells around idiot children.

I read what (I think) was the whole twitter thread and the dude she barked at wasn't disrespectful or rude at all, he was just offering constructive criticism like "oh wouldn't it be cool if in GW2 you had more dialogue options to customize your character" as gamers do and then continued to be nice even as she popped off on this huge unnecessary lecture. Probably shouldn't have lost her job over it, but it wasn't a good look imho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone who has to interact with the general public should practice saying "that's some interesting feedback, I'll take it into consideration" in a way that really means "gently caress you." It's good for your well-being!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

I am more interested in pretty princess dressup in a MMO than anything else. Anthem won't attract me enough if it doesn't cater to my need for accessories.

I think they really went in the wrong direction giving everybody generic mech suit armor instead of gaudy sequined dresses and top hats.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Destiny 2 was the best selling game of 2017 and that looked like a bland mess that's already $10 to lure more players into their microtransactions and DLCs, so

The industrial hype machine for Destiny 2 was real, I've never seen a game crest and fall so quickly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

WoW vanilla is kind of fun to revisit every now and then for the novelty of it all but around level 35-40 it starts to become very obvious why nobody wants to play that kind of game anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'd played MMORPGs before WoW came out (mostly Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds which I was mega-addicted to for like two summers in high school, but also a little bit of EverQuest and a couple months of FFXI) and I remember WoW loving blew my mind when it came out. The idea of leveling through narrative solo questing instead of grouping with a bunch of people and grinding mobs in the corner of a map somewhere was crazy exciting to me. I couldn't really play it for a few months after it came out because my university's firewall made the latency nuts but eventually they fixed that, and even back then I got bored around level 30ish. I never even got to level 40 to start doing the stupid money grind to get a mount.

The real reason I like revisiting vanilla WoW is that I absorbed a photographic memory of all the most obscure out-of-the-way questlines and had perfectly planned leveling paths, all of which were thrown to the wind when Cataclysm turned the entire leveling curve into "go to this place, do three things, go to the next place, do three things, etc."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think someone once calculated the actual landmass of WoW's two major continents and altogether it only ended up being around the size of Manhattan. Creating the illusion of a vast and open world is a worthier design goal than matching it to scale, since the real world is filled with tons of boring crap.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Skypie posted:

Yeah I don't understand why people long for the days of being pigeonholed into a certain role or poorly-designed loot. I sorta feel like the people who want it are longing for the days when having special-colored internet weapons made them feel cool and strong

Playing a Mage during the rolling ignite era was the single coolest time period of the game and I'm sad that nothing will ever be allowed to become so overpowered again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i'd bet cash money that more than anything people yearn for the era of their lives where time was so plentiful and meaningless that spending entire days of it watching numbers go up as you poked pigs in the rear end with a knife was as good a way to spend it as any

When I die please bury me in my Leggings of the Festering Swarm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

My real takeaway from all this is I'm super glad I work at a university instead of a corporation

:yeah:

cheetah7071 posted:

well then maybe my real takeaway is I'm glad I'm not on social media then

:yeah:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

He was raving about it the other day

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1014305467227504640

edit: Kojima is such a loving westaboo, goddamnit

Middle-aged Japanese dweebs really love Twin Peaks (as should everyone).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

redreader posted:

LIS: before the storm (the final ep with max, only)

This is only about an hour long if your playtime is limited, fyi.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In the Dishonored games it's really easy to accidentally kill people but there's no way to un-kill them. If they ever make another one I think they should give you an ability that brings dudes back to life so you can go "my bad" or find even more devious ways of killing them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have not played the Darksiders games but I greatly enjoyed the new GoW's combat which I heard borrows heavily from DS2, so I will keep an eye on Broad of War.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bury me with my Buriza.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Serious question did anyone ever use the Notes section at the back of old game instruction manuals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I never saved passwords, it was my mission as a hardcore seven year-old to beat the game in one sitting or give up entirely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

And many Castlevanias are in fact, not Metroidvanias.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I saw a preview for Death's Gambit and it looked great with some amazing music as far as 2D Soulstroidvanias go, but I've seen zero hype over it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't think the Skyrim intro was all that bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FF13 is a really beautiful-looking game with an interesting world, good combat and music held together by an utter nonsense story with maybe the most dislikeable main party of any FF. It's not terrible, just maddeningly uneven.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know much from final fantasies after 6 except for tactics, but i was always under the impression that 13 was kind of like final fantasy mass effect for some reason.

The only thing FF13 has in common with Mass Effect is that [RIGHT HOOK] is the universal dispute settler.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The last time I got baingan bharta I told them to make it as hot as they eat it in India. omg, I was crying it was so painful and so good. Couldn't stop eating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was weird but it didn't particularly stand out to me other than that chick loved taking lots of really unflattering pictures of herself.

• Locked thread