Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Glad my patience paid off and now I have a hacked vita and can play all the PS1 games that I wanted to that didn't make it onto the PSN store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

My real takeaway from all this is I'm super glad I work at a university instead of a corporation

Whats the difference lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big fan of the fake PSX adventure game they put in Danganronpa 2. I've always pined for psx aesthetic indie treasures. I'm hoping we get a revival of that look in the next decade

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

So a bug in the system let people pull real player numbers from Steam's API. This shows the number of people who have ever launched all games that have achievements. This is the closest thing we'll probably ever have to a broad view of overall Steam sales numbers:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

There's a link to a csv file with the whole list. Go find your favorites and marvel at how little they've sold!

Edit: Link to the file: http://www.arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/games_achievements_players_2018-07-01.csv

This is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2x as many people bought Hitman Absolution than Hitman (2016) :eng99:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Where's dota2

it doesn't have achievements

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a good confirmation that the gaming public writ large, on PC, absolutely loves free to play games with loot boxes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Is this game really that good? I've never played it. How does it stack up to the SimCity series? SimCity 2000 holds a special place to my heart.

It's absolutely wonderful and it's what that 2012 (13?) sim city should have been

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

I beat Hollow Knight, got 107%, and now am sad it's over :(. Time to finally play REmake and play through RE 2 again. And probably all the other numbered RE's besides 7 since I just played it and including CVX.

Enjoy, the only bad RE game is...Gaiden. Which you probably won't play

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that cover art is badass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol the Maxim quote

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got eaten by the T. rex in Dino Crisis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I shot a pterodactyl out of the sky with a shotgun...pretty cool game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Killing people definitely carries a score penalty in MGSV but if your fast enough the time bonus so far outstrips that penalty it doesn't matter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Of course the real challenge is No Tracing missions. I was only ever able to no trace like..3 missions. But it's some unparalleled gaming highs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

really the best way to s rank stuff on the missions that don't have a mandatory stealth requirement or whatever is to get the non-lethal revolver and the raiden skin and just start going hog wild doming fools while lightning sprinting everywhere. speed bonus + no kills bonus = s rank with a minimum of effort

I think the raiden suit is the bonus for S ranking every mission

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

“no trace” in mgs5..... folks i’m talking about the ending

Nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't find the wild arms 2 pic of the guy saying Your tombstone will read my tomorrow or w/e that line is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I like Hollow Knight but that "find your ghost again after you die, but if you die before doing that you lose all your money" mechanic can get absolutely hosed.

Respawning at a bench five miles away from where you died is punishment enough.

Yeah but have you ever heard of Dark Souls?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'd be cool if someone would make a true ripoff of Metroid, since Nintendo seems determined to never make another one.

they made one last year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

the kickstartered castlevania demo has a permanent minimap in the upper corner of the screen as well as an automap you can bring up and it feels like utter hog piss compared to hollow knight so you've got that to look forward to i guess

it feels a lot like order of ecclesia

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was hoping octopath traveler would be like a 30 hour game after playign the demo but the idea of playing that game for 60+ hours seems tremendously exhausting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can just turn the VA off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

that’s what i did, but i want to make it clear i thought it was very, very bad

I turn VA off in everything that lets me button through dialogue, so, I hear ya.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

Anyone who reviewed RE2 without beating both paths for both characters should've quit their jobs.

Lives in Mario haven't really been a roadblock since SMB3. Odyssey does away with them completely.

Well yeah, and that's like 10 hours long, tops. I assume that's what most reviewers did.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I was a freelance writer I wouldn't pick 100 hour JRPGs. But I guess beggars can';t be choosers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

The state of reviews in general being what it is is disappointing because of all the interesting ways games can be dissected, from purely a mechanical standpoint to story and themes and overall synthesis of the whole thing. Even just the question of how to critically approach a game that is unambitious but competent and satisfying vs one that reaches but doesn't quite succeed at what it's trying is an interesting discussion.

Basically talking about games is interesting, and trying to boil it down to should you play it is a disservice.

purchase oriented reviews in any form of media don't do this, critical review requires some distance and happens later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There aren't 8 paths there's like 24 chapters and you only need to finish 3 to finish the game, basically. It's like saying someone needs to pick up every feather in a open world game before they can review it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

I beat the game with Jill, pretty slowly. Gonna try Chris next. The game still holds up great, and after only playing the original PS1 director's cut before this it's pretty incredible.

Hell yeah dude. The difference between the first and second playthrough is pretty remarkable, you'll be surprised at how quick the second round will go

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4HD is out this Friday too. Resident Evil is awesome!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PC texture pack mod that's been in the works for a long rear end time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use GameFAQs all the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I use this thread for finding out whether or not a game is good
I've been enjoying danganronpa 2 since I picked it up in the steam sale, and he'll, it pretty much saved this website half a decade ago or whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

but that IS the game of persona. Reading a bunch of VN stuff in between going to a dungeon every once in a while.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably rarer to consider any game at all that actually "opens", since it's not really a thing many games do. It's basically just open world games that do that after a brief tutorial opening.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think XIII battle system is fun from the word go tbh, but I've played it a few times and love it, top 3 FF, which is a uncommon opinion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im supremely looking forward to the xbc2 dlc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Same. The new combat mechanics look like a massive improvement from the base game. Hopefully it's as big as they're claiming it's going to be (seems pretty reasonable as they're remixing a bunch of areas from the base game).

Story is gonna be hella :smith: though.

I haven't bought it yet because id like to see how substantial it is for 30 bucks, considering that's half the price of the base game which was already massive. But I trust those crazy bastards to make like. A 35 hour dlc for the hell of it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkHErRV1J8

david duchovny sounds like he is asleep the entire time

Omg I need to play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You'll all be sorry once the SJWs win and Nintendo starts autobanning anybody who uses Booyah sarcastically

• Locked thread