Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

What are some good fantasy-themed FPS shooters? Like Hexen but more modern

Good question. Lots of modern and sci-fi shooters but fantasy...

Vermintide? Its pretty good if you like Left4Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

doingitwrong posted:

I can't vouch for it but Lichdom: Battlemage might be what you want.

Its first person but can't really be described as a shooter per se, the magic system is funky and you have to use it to progress the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

if all videogames are anime, then all animes must be videogames. QED

That's only true for scalar values, not for set theory.

All baseballs are balls, but not all balls are baseballs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

Well obviously. It's also a fair opinion that the endgame is kind of lackluster at the moment (especially compared to some other MH games).

I'm still going to do it all over again in the PC version though

Nah MH games always just lose steam and get repetitive as hell once you reach 'endgame', its the progression that's fun. Once you have like a perfect set of armor its just more of the same, but this time there's FOUR rathalos!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Special edition statues are mostly weird to me. Like if it's a really well loved character I can kind of see it but it's almost always for a character you will not know if you like until you play the game. It always seems extra arrogant when it's they expect people to put down like $150 on a statue for the first game in a new franchise.

I'm not innocent when it comes to buying special editions but it's usually more because I like the game series and don't mind giving the creator extra money. Like despite the fact the Odin Sphere special edition contained pretty much no good extras (it didn't even have the soundtrack which I would have actually wanted) but the original release is one of my favorite games and I didn't mind giving Vanillaware the extra money.

What blows my mind though is that people do. People buy collector's editions for the first game in a series they don't know if they like yet, with a statue of a character they don't know. Its real weird.

Consumerism has put worms in our brains.

Its equally strange to me as people who cosplay characters that haven't even been released yet. Like people dress up as videogame or star wars characters for games or movies that haven't even been released. I don't get that.

If there's a character you really like and you cosplay as them that's kinda cool, but cosplaying as a character from a game that isn't even released is just like, admitting you just wanna play dress up and like how the character looks but don't give a poo poo about videogames.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I'm kind of failing to see an actual problem with that.

Its just kinda weird. Like imagine if my favorite thing was wearing baseball jerseys in public but I don't actually care about baseball or the team's shirt I'm wearing. But I go out of my way to dress in perfect uniform all the time.

Like my outfit? Yeah, its great, I spent hours on it. Who? The Yankees? I dunno I just thought it was a cool pattern.

At that point, just get into fashion instead?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think cosplayers just as often as they dress up as characters they like, dress up as characters because they just like the outfit and think it'll look good on them or do it because they have an online presence and know it'll get them clicks and/or $$$. There is really nothing wrong with any of these reasons.

I just feel like cosplaying stuff that isn't even out yet is buying real hard into the corporation's wishes, super consumerist. Same with buying figurines for games that aren't out yet.

There's soooo many fictional characters you can dress up as that already exist.

Instead you dress up as like captain phasma before star wars is even out, and then find out she's basically not even in the movie. Its putting the cart before the horse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the weird thing about escaflowne is that it's very definitely a story about the school girl but apparently the dub that got aired on fox kids cut out a bunch of her scenes to try and make it an action anime about her love interest

Escaflowne and Princess Mononoke were the first anime I ever saw as a kid. Escaflowne isn't my all time favorite but the robots were cool (even if robots with swords is kinda silly)

I liked most of it although the subplot about the people with a 'luck gene' was super dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. The fine posters in adtrw claimed that kill la kill was going to be a satire of fanservicey animes but then it just actually was one and they were dumb

Its not so black and white. Lots of people think Bayonetta is fanservicy but it was designed by a woman to be empowering. Lipstick feminism is a thing. Women can be sexual for themselves and not just because of the male gaze.

Kill La Kill kinda goes both ways.

Darling in the Franxxx on the other hand... lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the Tidus/Yuna dynamic in FFX worked since the entire plot kind of hinges on Tidus being a dumb jock who doesn't know what's going on.

Yeah it kinda does. I'm getting sick of the fish out of water protagonists though

cheetah7071 posted:

The main character usually wants to be someone who doesn't know very much, so that there can be tutorials and exposition for their benefit.

This works but it works so well everybody does it all the time :smith:

FFXV's boy-band character dynamic worked so dang well. I want another game like that, but we really really need women in the party, and ideally also some kind of non-human weirdo thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i don't really think, kill la kill has any kind of point it wanted to go for in the end, empowering or otherwise

It is mostly style without substance, yeah. And I never finished it.

I saw it having some cool themes about puberty ala FLCL, which is easily one of my favorite anime of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haha, yeah. But you know, like Khimari or Freja or Fran or a moogle or whatever.

• Locked thread