Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the pre-dualshock 4 shape suddenly became incredibly uncomfortable to me in anything but menu-based games, so gamecube still winnning there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't like wearing glasses but I'm too lazy and tired to gently caress with contacts most mornings

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/guild-wars-2-writers-fired-following-heated-twitter-exchange-with-streamer/?__twitter_impression=true

Yikes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Literally every tweet I've seen on it has at least a few weirdos in the comments, so that's how you know this is an absolutely genuine issue.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the brain genius has logged on

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

Price adds that she believes her firing was an emotional reaction on the part of ArenaNet co-founder Mike O’Brien. “He fired me personally, and the meeting was mostly him venting his feelings at me,” she says. “I understand being afraid when you see the Reddit mob coming for you, but if people with less power can weather it — and we do, regularly — so can he.”
Price says that prior to being fired, the company had never discussed her social media presence with her or issued a warning for anything she had posted. “If it was covered in orientation, I wouldn’t know. I got pulled out of orientation to jump into rebreaking the story arc for this season of Living World.” Furthermore, ArenaNet was not only aware of her outspoken approach to discussing similar issues on social media but encouraging of it. During a job interview with the company, she had told them she was “loud about these issues on social media and had no intention of shutting up. They reassured me that they ‘admired [my] willingness to speak truth to power.’”

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/7/6/17541318/guild-wars-arenanet-jessica-price-peter-fries-fired-reddit?__twitter_impression=true

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bill Buckner posted:

That's a shame, I thought Berseria was pretty good.

A poorly received game usually means a dip for the one after.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The real hosed up review environment is MP focused games where during the review period it's either off or a base of just other reviewers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

I recently played through Sonic Forces because I like Sonic games and it didn't look that bad to me.

It really wasn't that bad, just really bland and unremarkable. If it hadn't been released after Mania, I don't think it would have been liked but it would have just been a mostly ignored Sonic game rather than the source of derision that gets brought up like it's 2006 or Boom. It's certainly not a good game but it's mostly just sort of there with a ton of quick forgettable easy levels. The controls are way to loose but that's only a problem once in awhile. Of the Sonics I've played, I'd put it just below Unleashed. It doesn't ever reach the lows of the game but ti also doesn't come close to hitting the highs of that game either.

That's the problem more than being proximate to Mania imo; after spinning their wheels with lost world, they finally picked up the working formula again and made the the weakest of its line, which is a shame since they had a decent run going with Colors and Gens.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've liked my time with XB2, but it has a lot of inexplicable clunk and poorly thought out mechanics that are harder to avoid than those of the first. It's apparently been partly ironed out with patches, but I wouldn't recommend it if you mainly liked XB1 for being a forward thinking breath of fresh air like a lot of people did rather than just liking its specific style of gameplay.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

was that after she posted a weird video suggesting that her followers get "permish" for the womans personal info

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

seems like everyone on twitter these days motto is don't @ me, and get really pissed off if you actually try to respond to them. social media is really good and cool lol

kamiya was ahead of the curve on that stuff I guess but a million years later and its just exhausting and kinda sad

I mean he's had plenty of positive interactions with people, his English posting is obviously played up, and "don't message me dumb stuff in a language I'm not fluent in" isn't really unreasonable?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a simplified pokemon game for people drawn by GO in the shape of Yellow

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just remembered the time an xseed employee posting on forums led to a guy thinking it would be a cool idea to corner her in a parking lot

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Yikes

I hope he at least got in trouble

I don't think they called police or anything, but it was resolved in a "don't ever come here or contact this person again" way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People have flipped poo poo over stuff developers said on official forums or in interviews too.

e: idk, social media is bad in the sense that mass media communication being under the purview of singular corps is bad, but sometimes it feels like dodging or externalizing whatever the actual issue is

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 12, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A retail version of those restaurants where the servers are assholes to you as the gimmick

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had to google this to check if you were joking :mad:

Well unironically there was the "changing exotic-sounding names to maximize engagements" thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

he's one of those guys who speaks authoritatively about how business and the industry works, and then literally everyone who worked under him says he was an incompetent rear end

e: now that I think about it, it's just kinda sad compared to a successful wealthy person defending their self-interest, people like him defend status quo just because it gave them power over other people once

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 13, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zil posted:

Spikes I get, but do you just jump out of the bottomless pit?

You float out. In the later classic games it happens via Beat pulling you out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chumbler posted:

I'm glad they're adding that accessibility option. If they ever do a Zero collection rerelease that might conflict with the "gently caress you if you use them" cyber elves system in 1 and 2 though, which was fine thematically, but not so great for getting people into the games.

Inti can be clumsy with their mechanics and take a few swings to get something right, but I appreciate that they've always had an eye for iterating towards accessibility when they get the chance while still making fundamentally the same, often hard, games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/1017984694846017536?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've played and liked every non-spinoff zelda besides 2 to some extent

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Only took pic of demo mode, but I genuinely didn't know this one existed. Cute but pricey.

https://twitter.com/Rafclan/status/1019290967076147207?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

that looks very unsatisfying to play

It's a cooldown-based and FG shaped PvP mobile game, so yeah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

And yet emuparadise continues unscathed

I've always wondered how they manage that

actually a bunch of romsites delisted 1st party games a while ago

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf P4 was the first, but yeah making 3 and 5 separate despite being made at the same time was a cashgrab and reflected in their sales figues last I heard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think many people would argue that FGs are especially fitting for storytelling, but people definitely "care" in terms of wanting to know what's going on with their characters and stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Hero Yoshihiko is a cool show with exactly one season's worth of jokes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this rhythm game has an odd scoring system

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

between klk and their main English PR being a guy posting on 4chan I see a lot of anime people avoid trigger on principle these days.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf HGH and pirates curse are the only complete shantae games made since the first and WF made a number of decent games between those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

trigger has really good animators and yoh yoshinari in general is a loving fantastic artist but they're also a studio who's management is embracing a weird cult of personality and setting up a patreon that, isn't going to give any money to the actual talented staff and instead is just going into bullshit that doesn't benefit anyone who needs it

considering fan attitudes towards certain genres over the last few decades, it's kinda ironic that the gurren lagann director turned out to be an unflagging horny on main otaku dude while the k-on director is a cool lady who goes to a math museum and thinks "what if I made the romance movie I'm working on about this"

• Locked thread