Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mehall posted:

Pretty sure this is just the list of teams on England's side of the bracket. There's that many teams again on the other side.

Oh right whoops.

Its coming home though.

Terrible number snipe: 2 is the loneliest number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Is Brexit stance that idiot thing they do with their legs?

Whoever said Theresa May looks like a Chris (Simpsons Artist) drawing was spot on.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Are you guys really complaining about 85 F temperatures?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mycomancy posted:

The difference between the U.K. and other countries is that since temperatures like this are unusual, we don’t have the toolkit to deal with them (like decent air conditioning, for instance).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mycomancy posted:

Are you guys really complaining about [topic/event]?

Yes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm fine with the temperature and it's nice to have some sun, it's the humidity I hate.

e:

Darth Walrus posted:

The difference between the U.K. and other countries is that since temperatures like this are unusual, we don’t have the toolkit to deal with them (like decent air conditioning, for instance).
Nah, even if temperatures like this were normal our housing stock would still be garbage.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mycomancy posted:

No idea. I was complaining about 25C temperatures though.

I don't think Johnny Foreigner can truly understand how miserably this country is built to stand temperatures of 25 & up. It only happens maybe 10-14 days a year so you never get a chance to get used to it, it's always obnoxiously humid, we've got no air conditioning as standard, and my skin all falls off if I'm outside in it for more than 8 seconds. Fortunately the cloud is rolling in over night here and temperatures over night should get to 12 or so.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I got an awesome suntan on the Cheviot but I also had to look up ceterizine on toxbase. Summer owns/sucks

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I was in Morocco last week and it was hotter in Basildon. gently caress this country.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Someone mentioned the Big Narstie show in the last thread. I really liked it. Even got me liking Ed Sheeran a bit. Hadn't ever heard of him before he was on Big Fat Quiz that time but he's great.

Also I hope we get a big rear end thunderstorm after all this heat nonsense. It is somewhat reassuring to find I am not the only person who gets properly angry when the heat is really stupid. Also also I read houses here are designed to keep the heat in which is an absolute fucker when it is hot

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mycomancy posted:

people in places tend to acclimatise to some extent to the general average temperature of that place, meaning a high temperature where it's usually low all the time will be more intensely felt than that same temperature where it's warm all the time. also we drive on a different side of the road and we call pants "trousers"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Wow, gently poke fun at Brits for being weenies about the heat and get some serious responses in return. Noted.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

mycomancy posted:

Wow, gently poke fun at Brits for being weenies about the heat and get some serious responses in return. Noted.

The UKMT is very educational.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

also we drive on a different side of the road and we call pants "trousers"
But what do you call the small round bread often eaten as a compact form of sandwich?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

England usually get to the semi-final and lose on penalties don't they?

(if they actually do well)

Quarters - we've only got past them twice, once in 90 (lost on penalties in the semis) and once in 66 (not sure what happened there, England fans don't talk about it much).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Juche Couture posted:

I got an awesome suntan on the Cheviot but I also had to look up ceterizine on toxbase. Summer owns/sucks

My experience with taking far too much cetirizine is that it didn't kill me but after like a week I started to get ulcers on the sides of my throat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mycomancy posted:

The UK has a collective weather hysteria.
No matter how many heatwaves, or snow spells, or floods, or whatever that isn't reportable in the past, the media LOSES THEIR loving MINDS with it as if it never happened before.
The media saturates with it, and so whoever watches it gets hooked into the hysteria complaining machine.

This explains everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjLBLgQFkg

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Temp chat.

Having spent a lot of time in hot places (South Vietnam, Singapore, North africa) the last few weeks have felt not far off the Asian countries. Not quite as oppressive but not too far off. I think after a certain temperature the exact degrees start to matter less and wind/humidity matter a lot more.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Extreme0 posted:

The gently caress is with this heat. Which one of you bastards wished for this?

Sorry. I'm actually very happy about this weather, it was me guys.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
It hit 40 C in Colorado last week. That was loving awful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

the last few weeks have felt not far off the Asian countries. Not quite as oppressive but not too far off.
Don't worry, Theresa May's trying.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

McDragon posted:

Also I hope we get a big rear end thunderstorm after all this heat nonsense. It is somewhat reassuring to find I am not the only person who gets properly angry when the heat is really stupid. Also also I read houses here are designed to keep the heat in which is an absolute fucker when it is hot

It's not exactly that houses are built to keep the heat in exactly but modern buildings have high insulation coupled with low thermal mass (because it's cheaper to build timber-frame than from brick etc.). Ideally you'd have high insulation and high thermal mass - all thermal mass is is a big lump of stuff that stores heat (so you're looking for density x specific heat capacity) and effectively all it does is induces a lag in temperature change - that is to say it cools down overnight, and heats up during the day, but in doing so it emits heat at night (keeping your house warmer) and sucks in heat during the day (keeping it cooler).

If you've got enough and your house is otherwise well-designed then it'll help keep your house at a comfortable temperature all year round with minimal heating/cooling. Works a lot better in climates where you have a reasonable temperature difference between seasons and/or between day and night.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've noticed that mine seems to lag by a few weeks from whatever the temperature is doing outside. It's good at the start of winter and start of summer, less good two months in.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Miftan posted:

The UKMT is very educational.

i like it here but we are in many ways the worst and most easily trolled thread on the forums. plausibly on the internet.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i like it here but we are in many ways the worst and most easily trolled thread on the forums. plausibly on the internet.

I don't know if telling nazis to gently caress off is considered 'trolled'

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Miftan posted:

It's not. Kick fascists in the teeth every day, online and offline.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Miftan posted:

no, no that's fair - i don't consider nazis trolls though, i think that's a polite fiction to normalize the fact they are actual nazis. thread is great with nazis. not so good with trolls, though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

CoolCab posted:

no, no that's fair - i don't consider nazis trolls though, i think that's a polite fiction to normalize the fact they are actual nazis. thread is great with nazis. not so good with trolls, though.

I know we have some Scandinavian posters but you might be taking it a bit too far.

e: wtf I just noticed after like 2 months that this avatar wiped out my Jammy tag!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My tolerance threshold for trolls is approximately 18 months before I put them on Ignore.
Most of them can't sustain it that long, mind you.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

The UK has a collective weather hysteria.

"It's too hot/wet/cold/dry/moist/humid/damp/overcast. I wish it was hot/wet/cold/dry/moist/humid/damp/overcast instead."

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

I kmew I gave him and his noodle arms too much credit.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Pesky Splinter posted:

"It's too hot/wet/cold/dry/moist/humid/damp/overcast. I wish it was hot/wet/cold/dry/moist/humid/damp/overcast instead."

Cold is the superior temperature. Culls the boomers and means I have to throw on a jumper, maybe.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Firos posted:

Cold is the superior temperature. Culls the boomers and means I have to throw on a jumper, maybe.

every year i wonder if this year will be when the gulf stream slows and we get some really cold rear end loving weather

not yet, but my starved skeletal body will be smiling when it does

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Anybody who complains about that one week of good weather that this dreary piece of poo poo nation gets should be hanged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mycomancy posted:

It hit 40 C in Colorado last week. That was loving awful.

That'll happen if you live in a desert.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44672879

This... seems like something they should have done about two years ago? We all know they have no loving clue what they're doing but seriously why is nobody anywhere in the media asking that very simple question?

and we're looking at an end result of either:
  • hissy fit exit: boris takes his toys and goes home when he gets bored. ~spirit of brexit~ gets debated in tabloids
  • mealy-mouthed statement of intent that makes nobody any wiser. Barnier pointedly requests clarifications, preferably months ago
  • bold, daring proposal announced! only it's a wish list of nonsense that gets dismissed out of hand by EU, crises follow
glad I'm not to blame

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

That'll happen if you live in a desert.

Quite. In one week, though, I'm moving to Missouri to be choked to death by all the water in the air. 32 C and 90% humidity with no clouds in the sky.

:smithicide:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lads and lasses, I'm glad to announce that it is definitely coming home to Russia thanks to a stunning programme of doping and match fixing

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Mu. posted:

Anybody who complains about that one week of good weather that this dreary piece of poo poo nation gets should be hanged.

Hang those that burn their skinny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rarity posted:

Lads and lasses, I'm glad to announce that it is definitely coming home to Russia thanks to a stunning programme of doping and match fixing

With every piece of poo poo news that's come over the last few years I can't stop feeling that 'well, we sure deserve it'. I don't care about the kickyballs except to whine about how it might affect some tiny aspect of how I waste my life, but doesn't a steroid-pumped, fixed-results championship feel like exactly what we deserve? You can't be all 'oh let's FIFA do the footy thing over in Russia', then demand a fair and clean show with a straight face

• Locked thread