Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I like the thread title. Wonder how long it will be until the government does something daft thid month

e: three is the atomic number of lithium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

McDragon posted:

Also I like the thread title. Wonder how long it will be until the government does something daft thid month

e: three is the atomic number of lithium

The Chequers meeting on Friday, at the very least, but I'm quite sure they've already done something stupid today and we'll learn about it tomorrow.

Come now, have some faith in our government!

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I can only think that the sun is angry, presumably at something we did. Probably Brexit or Adam on Love Island.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Theresa May should just annoyance that if England wins the world cup, she'll do the hardest of Brexits - if it doesn't, she'll cancel the whole thing. This will satisfy both patriots and anti-patriots, and put the eventual blame squarely on the English team no matter what they do.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

Are you guys really complaining about 85 F temperatures?

Like clockwork. I mean you. You are the one that is like clock work! But also??? Maybe us? Complaning about the big number of F's. We are more intolerant of a smaller number of c's. You are a c. Mate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Lads and lasses, I'm glad to announce that it is definitely coming home to Russia thanks to a stunning programme of doping and match fixing

Has anything specific come out, or is this just the background assumption for a Russian World Cup?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eesh.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1013474410089598978?s=21

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Piers Morgan multiplying entities like a boss

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1013511622541873152

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I've heard this argument before actually. It's one side saying "just literally nothing" while the other asks "but what was the nothing made of?" until someone gets bored.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Piers Morgan moron, so what?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the things people struggle with is
1.) What literally nothing actually means
2.) If there was nothing before, how did we end up with something without external influence by something, usually a higher being.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Point Piers Morgan to some Zen koans

What is the sound of one hand wanking?

PS there's no "before" - time and space start at the singularity.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not coming down on either side to clear. I'm only an atheist in the Douglas Adams "too far removed from the whole deal to give a poo poo" sense.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The idea of nothing on the personal level is probably the reason why religions exist, it's hard to imagine the most likely outcome of death - that consciousness stops and your mind becomes nothing. Instead people think of elaborate stories as to why they will continue to have a consciousness after death.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Piers Morgan opining about god when he is ample evidence that there isn't one.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

consciousness stops and your mind becomes nothing.

Sounds like pure bliss to me

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Not Operator posted:

I've heard this argument before actually. It's one side saying "just literally nothing" while the other asks "but what was the nothing made of?" until someone gets bored.

The question is "Why is there stuff?". That's what keeps me awake at night, I tell you.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ive been going with the thing where spacetime is infinite so very rarely a big bang occurs and makes an our observable universe a thing recently. That boltzman concept?

As ultimately pleasant as that concept is i still want to be cyborged before death just to see whats going on for the next zillion or so years in human history.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Namtab posted:

The idea of nothing on the personal level is probably the reason why religions exist, it's hard to imagine the most likely outcome of death - that consciousness stops and your mind becomes nothing. Instead people think of elaborate stories as to why they will continue to have a consciousness after death.

What was your existence like before you were born/conceived?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Not Operator posted:

"but what was the nothing made of?"

Piers Morgan?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TheHoodedClaw posted:

See that's not a good argument, people have no way to know what things were like before they had conscious thought, their frame of reference is entirely within the realm of being human and alive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Wouldn't work on Piers, he's never developed past the dribble of spunk phase.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Nothing is, by definition, not definable.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Namtab posted:

See that's not a good argument, people have no way to know what things were like before they had conscious thought, their frame of reference is entirely within the realm of being human and alive.

actually we have many ways of knowing stuff like that

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Namtab posted:

It's the only good one I can think of. We are all just collections of atoms, that for a brief time achieves some sort of awareness, and then back to dust.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

As ultimately pleasant as that concept is i still want to be cyborged before death just to see whats going on for the next zillion or so years in human history.

:same: but mainly to see where video games go.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Personally (and I am religious) I take great comfort in knowing that when my consciousness snuffs out I revert to being a tiny but indispensable component of all that ever was

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
My conception occurred long before I had a conscious though. while its occasion might not have appeared immediately obvious to me, I've never fought with the idea of whether it happened

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Has anything specific come out, or is this just the background assumption for a Russian World Cup?

There's no other explanation for why Spain decided they just didn't feel like trying to win.

I'm glad Russia got to host it, sure they've got rampant corruption and human rights abuses but at least we don't have to deal with those loving vuvuzelas this time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Not Operator posted:

:same: but mainly to see where video games go.

The same as now but just with bigger numbers after the title.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

Piers Morgan opining about god when he is ample evidence that there isn't one.

Be fair, he’s only evidence against them being either benevolent or omnipotent.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The idea that consciousness exists is much weirder to me, honestly. It's like my body's made up of these tiny little stupid single cell creatures, and at some undetermined point, their interactions add up to me. So, with the immensely intricate machinery required to build, maintain and control me, why do I spend my time touching myself and playing video games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The idea that consciousness exists is much weirder to me, honestly. It's like my body's made up of these tiny little stupid single cell creatures, and at some undetermined point, their interactions add up to me. So, with the immensely intricate machinery required to build, maintain and control me, why do I spend my time touching myself and playing video games

The fact you do is a good indication a divine being doesn't exist because if he did he wouldn't put all those little creatures together just to spend your time jerking and gaming.

Although video games have been proving there is no god ever since Shaq Fu

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

The same as now but just with bigger numbers after the title.

If you don't want to play the tactile-VR release of Witcher 8 and gently caress a Dryad, I don't even want to know you.

E: I say this but there's a decent chance I'd use my gaming suit once and go straight back to Binding of Isaac.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 1, 2018

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

As a kid I always had reoccurring apocalyptic dreams and the most common and vivid one was us entering an ice age and we all freeze to death.

I kinda wish that was happening right now tbh

Solefald fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 1, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

There's no other explanation for why Spain decided they just didn't feel like trying to win.

I'm glad Russia got to host it, sure they've got rampant corruption and human rights abuses but at least we don't have to deal with those loving vuvuzelas this time.

Maybe they just weren't fit for this cup, it's not as if they were convincing during the group stage

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Rarity posted:

Although video games have been proving there is no god ever since Shaq Fu

Actually, ever since the C64 version of Jet Set Willy which wasn't actually completeable because of a dodgy pixel up in one of the roof segments. No God would allow this.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Quarters - we've only got past them twice, once in 90 (lost on penalties in the semis) and once in 66 (not sure what happened there, England fans don't talk about it much).

I headr we did alright. should have had a goal disallowed but there you go.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Namtab posted:

Maybe they just weren't fit for this cup, it's not as if they were convincing during the group stage

it's this. Basically their peak was 2010, and they rode those players as long as they could and now those players are getting old and the ones coming through don't have the experience or simply aren't as good as those they're replacing, mainly because the replacements haven't had time to play. It's basically what hosed Germany in that they took almost the exact same squad to this world cup that won the last one, except all of those players have 4 more years of wear and tear on their bodies and they didn't look to blood in younger ones like Leroy Sane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Not Operator posted:

"but what was the nothing made of?"

Tory Brexit deals.

• Locked thread