Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This Wednesday, the 4th of July, Tom King gives us Batman #50! It's the event of the century! Batman and Catwoman are getting hitched! Or aren't they?!

DC PR have decided to let the BatCat out of the Bat-bag and ruin the surprise with clickbaity goodness. So this thread will contain :siren:UNMARKED SPOILERS:siren: discussing the issue in the days up till it's release, so...

BE WARNED!
SAVE YOURSELF!
GET OUT NOW!
TILL YOU'VE READ THE COMIC!

When it's all calmed down, this should be your regular Bat-hang Bat-Mega-Bat-Thread, and I'll make a better OP.

Also, remember to pick up Joëlle Jones' debut issue of Catwoman at the same time as BMan #50. It'll probably be the real star of the show, anyhow

SPOILERS GO!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1013533593694539776
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1013534987625385984
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1013538973204008961

Obviously I haven't read the issue yet but my guess is that it would have worked a lot better if (a) it wasn't marketted to hell and back with special books and covers and poo poo and (b) if it was the midpoint of an OGN rather than a bimonthly book that gives people the perfect reason to stop reading.

EDIT: DC Explains Why They Spoiled Batman’s Wedding

quote:

John Cunningham, Senior Vice President of Sales for DC Comics, wrote the following on a local comic shop retailer Facebook group:

“1. DC Sales strongly advocated getting the news out ahead of the OSD, so that the Moment of Realization did not occur hours before events began. We even did our level best to try and spoil it here on this page over and over again (and failed). The NY Times article was posted here at 630 a.m. PST not out of “Pride” — please — but to get you the information as soon as we could.

2. In the abstract, we believed the news would break on Monday morning, given the arrival time of physical copies in store and the reality that a copy or a scan would end up being passed to uncontrolled comic book outlets (much like Marvel’s wedding issue last week and every other major comic book event in the lat decade).

3. As mentioned here before, any discussion about financial remedies for problematic DC product must occur after the product is on sale.

4. While The Times piece is more fulsome that [sic] some might like, it does not spoil the shock ending of the book for fans. We’re working on getting this posted here for you.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 2, 2018

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Codependent Poster posted:

I was gonna pick up the issue, but not anymore. So thanks for saving me money, spoilers!

Fuckin' same. Will probably drop it from my pull list altogether after this. Much love to the Bat team, Rebirth's been fun, but I'm tired of spinning in this circle for now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This kinda solidifies my lack of interest in DC and Batman. He can never before happy. That's sich a lame status quo.

At least when the X-Men did that we will have a Kelly Thompson book out of it

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 2, 2018

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wasn't it Didio who was going on about how superheroes can't be married because they have to make a sacrifice and that's Just The DC Way or some poo poo?

I genuinely thought their Rebirth stuff was moving past that "never be happy" nonsense but I guess it's all cyclical. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Wasn't it Didio who was going on about how superheroes can't be married because they have to make a sacrifice and that's Just The DC Way or some poo poo?

I genuinely thought their Rebirth stuff was moving past that "never be happy" nonsense but I guess it's all cyclical. :v:

Yup, we had an era of hope and joy, of Superman being a father, Batman on the road to finding happiness, generally hopeful and now Lois and Jon went off with Jor-El, and Batman isn't getting married.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
How many aunts does this save?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elfface posted:

How many aunts does this save?

It's been a while since we've seen Aunt Harriet hasn't it?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Meh.

King's Batman was generally loving lousy. The one worry about it was that it might have some consequences that would unfortunately make it some degree of necessary reading for future storylines.

This just ensures that King's Batman can be safely ignored until the next actually good Batman run which is just how I like it.

Put Tom King on a character he actually wrote well like Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

FWIW, I don’t get the sense that King wanted the wedding to happen but was overruled by editorial mandate, given the amount of foreshadowing in his run, but who knows.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao at dc balking at a romance and marriage 80 years in the making. Double lmao at batman jot being allow3d to have any happinesd because reasons

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
On the one hand, I don't read Batman, I don't generally care about the Batbooks anymore so eh. But on the other I thought it was a lovely idea and was really hoping they'd go through with it so hearing they've poo poo the bed and continued to stick with the most boring safe option is hugely disappointing regardless. It was an idea that generated a lot of goodwill from people and this is just a really lame thing to do with it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just don't understand why DC is so reluctant to let Batman show some growth. Out of all the characters in the comics industry, he's the one who has been best positioned in 80 years to show actual changes. You can have Dick permanently become Batman while Bruce still sticks around, and that would even explain how he can be on the Justice League while also on the streets of Gotham all the time. This even explains how you can have one darker tone Batman and one lighter tone one, or one more heavy on being a detective while the other is more heavy on being athletic. gently caress, you can even then pair up a Robin with each of them without having to name one after a Hamburger restaurant chain.

The reasoning that "Batman can't ever be happy or else he won't be Batman" is just as dumb as "Spider-Man can't ever not be a loser otherwise people won't identify with him anymore" as far as to why they can't be married.

Haha and I just found the last page which people were saying sets up everything going forward. This poo poo is so dumb. So spoilers:

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 2, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Why the gently caress is Thomas there?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow that page is even worse than I'd imagined.

Also isn't that the Gotham Girl hero from the first arc that I read before I quit the book? Did she become a villain again?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I also want to bring everyone's attention to the bottom right, where Skeets is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait wait wait wait wait. What.

No. I do not accept this.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i have enjoyed most of King's Batman but the idea that it was all building to something, anything, but particularly that is laughable

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Arkham needs to hire more custodians or something because that's way too many stray skulls to just be lying around.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This is the dumbest thing in that panel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

This is the dumbest thing in that panel.

Yes it is. It is the dumbest of the dumb things. I heard that he kind of butchered the character during his arc but what is going on with this.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm actually impressed at both how dumb and how poorly executed this all is. I've only mildly cared about Batman for ages thanks to the overexposure but boy can I empathize with one boneheaded decision ruining everything.

Jeez that picture is inane. It's all going to be dumbass psycho pirate nonsense, too, isn't it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Wow that page is even worse than I'd imagined.

Also isn't that the Gotham Girl hero from the first arc that I read before I quit the book? Did she become a villain again?

She never was a villain.

X-O posted:

Yes it is. It is the dumbest of the dumb things. I heard that he kind of butchered the character during his arc but what is going on with this.

The assasination of booster gold by the coward tom king.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

She never was a villain.

OK, that was the brother then right? My bad. It's been a while.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

X-O posted:

he wrote Booster as a mentally handicapped sociopath. like, he sees Hal Jordan commit suicide in front of him and his reaction is literally "that was awesome!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

he wrote Booster as a mentally handicapped sociopath. like, he sees Hal Jordan commit suicide in front of him and his reaction is literally "that was awesome!"

Hmm. That doesn't seem right. I'll just pretend the Injustice universe is the main universe from now on.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

king's plan for the next 50 issues is batman going on the rebound and listening to old sad songs while damien complains about his taste in music

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I bet the next 50 issues of Batman is more commentary on how everything is poo poo and everyone is a terrible person and nobody should be happy and you're stupid for thinking otherwise!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

OK, that was the brother then right? My bad. It's been a while.

He wasn't either. They both got mind controlled by Psycho Pirate and driven insane. Batman was rehabilitating her secretly and Duke was falling in love with her last I knew.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I bet the next 50 issues of Batman is more commentary on how everything is poo poo and everyone is a terrible person and nobody should be happy and you're stupid for thinking otherwise!

the dumb thing is Batman already has a father figure, a best friend, an actual son, several adopted sons or wards or other people he's a father figure to, and multiple pets. but a wife? TOO FAR

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

He wasn't either. They both got mind controlled by Psycho Pirate and driven insane. Batman was rehabilitating her secretly and Duke was falling in love with her last I knew.

OK my memory is just poo poo then. I thought one of them turned bad and caused a whole bunch of destruction or something. But I concede I didn't care for it much so I didn't retain much knowledge. But regardless if she's never been a villain I wonder why she's here with them all.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Barry Convex posted:

Among the problems in that arc, I was okay with this bit. Booster knows he created a hosed up fork in the timeline and embraces all the mistakes because he figures it'll all be behind him soon enough anyway. Hal ring-blasting himself in the head is just a cherry on top of the rest of Booster's spiraling fallout.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m honestly happy for my wallet if King tanks the run. With the wedding I was thinking of picking up issues 10-50 or whatever from after I dropped it.

The Joelle Jones Catwoman might have more room to play around with too, which is interesting. I won’t lie that I prefer a femme fatale Catwoman who plays the field.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

That's just a normal reaction to Hal Jordan dying.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don’t read Batman but I just gotta know what their gameplan was to marry and keep their secret identities. It raises a billion questions and presumably tipped everyone and their mom off to the fact that Batman is Bruce Wayne.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 3, 2018

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

TheHan posted:

I don’t read Batman but I just gotta know what their gameplan was to marry and keep their secret identities. It raises a billion questions and presumably tipped everyone and their mom off to the fact that Batman is Brice Wayne.

The official line was always "Batman and Catwoman are getting married, Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are single".

Which, in retrospect, probably should have been a sign that something was up. I dunno. I'm so frustrated by King's run at this point. I had actually disliked the I Am Suicide/I Am Bane bits a lot, and the Catwoman...B-plot? for lack of a better term, kept me going. Now it turns out that that was just more of that same "more of the same" main plot. I kind of hope King floors it to the "death of Batman" stuff from the first arc so we can reboot the ol' continuity machine and give this another shot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haha and I just found the last page which people were saying sets up everything going forward. This poo poo is so dumb. So spoilers:

Boy did my mind went through some whiplash processing this:

Oh poo poo! Bane was behind it all! Wait that doesn’t really make any sense but hey there’s Hugo and Psycho Pirate and Ventriloquist ok and wait Gotham Girl? What’s she doing here wait gently caress is that god drat Thomas Wayne? Bane went to Flashpoint to grab him to stop a wedding? What? Wait I thought Joker was dead I guess not also he’s good with Riddler now even thought they literally had a war not too long ago? Ok sure that I can almost buy all of this so far...

...is that Skeet? *zooms* Yeah that’s Skeet. What in the gently caress? I’m out.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know thinking about both the amount of publicity the engagement received, and howucg they hyped up the wedding I still think it's going to happen. This is probably going to tie into the event comic that King is set to write.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1013913973194940416

Holy poo poo man, King is getting destroyed by the comments from people. Like I said in the other thread it's been a long time since I've seen such a universal dislike for something like this. DC has nobody to blame but themselves. Doing 100 variant covers and Wedding Albums and sending out fake invites to stores as advertising for something that's not going to happen, if it ever does, for who knows how long is really biting them in the rear end. They hyped this up way too much to not deliver on it.

Just imagine all the shops doing big midnight sales for a wedding issue with no wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You know what would turn it around? If whenever Joker reveals himself as the priest, the hidden riddle in the substituted vows is read and Bane throws the organ at Robin, Batman pulls an Ozymandias.

"Did you really think we'd throw an elaborate ceremony with all these guests if there was any chance you could prevent it? We eloped last week. This is just the reception."

• Locked thread