Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

X-O posted:

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1013913973194940416

Holy poo poo man, King is getting destroyed by the comments from people. Like I said in the other thread it's been a long time since I've seen such a universal dislike for something like this. DC has nobody to blame but themselves. Doing 100 variant covers and Wedding Albums and sending out fake invites to stores as advertising for something that's not going to happen, if it ever does, for who knows how long is really biting them in the rear end. They hyped this up way too much to not deliver on it.

Just imagine all the shops doing big midnight sales for a wedding issue with no wedding.

The issue ultimately isn't that this is a fakeout to signify the half-way point, the issue is that this is a fake out to signify the half-way point that was advertised and promoted so thoroughly as to get many people to spend a lot of money on a lot of outside things that wound up just being a half-way point twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

also the conclusion is 2 years away, give or take, and that's assuming Batman remains double shipped the entire time

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 3, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nobody is going to care if and when a real wedding happens now, because DC blew their one big shot at this. Fans and retailers are going to be pissed. I mean, imagine how bad it'll be for the people who aren't spoiled and were suckered in by the marketing. They pick up the book, read it, and then will never buy another one again because they got tricked by this. Having a runup with so many variant covers, specials, etc. just to not go through with it... it's a terrible loving decision. They can't advertise for the "real wedding" if they decide to go through with it because people won't want to get tricked again. And if it does happen, people will just think that it was a reaction to the negativity of this and figure it's just a gimmick.

DC completely hosed themselves over.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
https://twitter.com/thetonyisabella/status/1013919384727904256?s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Comixology is having a Batman/Catwoman wedding celebration sale that includes all the various issues with famous weddings in them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Like King will be able to write the next 50 issues before DC reboots the universe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Madkal posted:

Like King will be able to write the next 50 issues before DC reboots the universe.

Lucky for him Doomsday Clock isn't going to finish til 2027.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1013926617444384768

I don't think is a good time to push the issue of Dick and Barbara's relationship right now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

The issue ultimately isn't that this is a fakeout to signify the half-way point, the issue is that this is a fake out to signify the half-way point that was advertised and promoted so thoroughly as to get many people to spend a lot of money on a lot of outside things that wound up just being a half-way point twist.

I don't know I think the issue is still that this is a larger signifier that DC refuses to let its heroes change in significant ways. They can get in relationships, ffs they can have kids*, but no marriage, don't be stupid. Hell, I still think Aquaman and Mera aren't hitched despite her being the queen of Atlantis.

*actually thinking more about it, they can hardly have kids either. Damian Wayne and Jon Kent were both raised up to tween age off panel. I mean, I'm not saying I need a series focusing on Superman splitting time between fighting crime and singing his infant lullabies, but the point is that heroes don't get to have big life experiences.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

TwoPair posted:

I don't know I think the issue is still that this is a larger signifier that DC refuses to let its heroes change in significant ways. They can get in relationships, ffs they can have kids*, but no marriage, don't be stupid. Hell, I still think Aquaman and Mera aren't hitched despite her being the queen of Atlantis.

*actually thinking more about it, they can hardly have kids either. Damian Wayne and Jon Kent were both raised up to tween age off panel. I mean, I'm not saying I need a series focusing on Superman splitting time between fighting crime and singing his infant lullabies, but the point is that heroes don't get to have big life experiences.

Their SOs get fridged every other month.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

TwoPair posted:

Superman and Lois are married again after it was decreed that a married Superman didn’t make sense at the start of New52. Although that’s such a long standing facet of Superman stories it was bound to be un-retconned. Unfortunately for Batman his long standing character quirk is “He sad”.
I think the worst part is that while in the long run they would’ve never lasted-some goon or DC themselves were gonna write a story where they break up eventually (probably with Catwoman dead)-using the “Batman can’t be happy” trope just seems pretty insulting. That’s how all of Batman’s relationships end. Didn’t The Dark Knight do this? And Mask of the Phantasm? And Batman Returns? Doing it again and hyping it up so much feels like Charles Schulz spending 3 months building up to Charlie Brown finally for real kicking the football this time just you wait.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

TwoPair posted:

I mean, I'm not saying I need a series focusing on Superman splitting time between fighting crime and singing his infant lullabies, but the point is that heroes don't get to have big life experiences.

Scott Free's been divvying up fighting the hordes of Darkseid and singing lullabies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's not what people wanted, but Batman #50 is as good as any book Tom King has done. Bat and Cat's interactions are as romantic as ever, and the various splash pages are a beautiful grab bag.

I feel like Batman 100 will have the real wedding. We're at the halfway point, and there's still so much ground to cover. I haven't read Catwoman yet, but I'm hoping it will roll with this well.

Tom King is still King. And, yes, Kite Man is in the book. Hell yeah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Issue's out on Comixology. Hi!
How could anyone be disappointed with 20 pages of eye related poetry?

I don't dig that Gotham Girl is a bad guy, but I do dig Flashpoint Thomas Wayne as a future antagonist. (e: and Skeets, ya babies. That's idea's heaps of fun.)

On to Catwoman.

edit:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Boy did my mind went through some whiplash processing this:

Oh poo poo! Bane was behind it all! Wait that doesn’t really make any sense but hey there’s Hugo and Psycho Pirate and Ventriloquist ok and wait Gotham Girl? What’s she doing here wait gently caress is that god drat Thomas Wayne? Bane went to Flashpoint to grab him to stop a wedding? What? Wait I thought Joker was dead I guess not also he’s good with Riddler now even thought they literally had a war not too long ago? Ok sure that I can almost buy all of this so far...

...is that Skeet? *zooms* Yeah that’s Skeet. What in the gently caress? I’m out.

The group of supervillains didn't stop the wedding. That's just a tease for the future.

E2: And the Elmer Fudd crossover is again established in continuity :)

The elseworlds part of Annual #2 where Bruce and Selina grow old together should totally be put at the end when this is collected to at least give a resonant bittersweet note to it all.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 4, 2018

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
50 will be the wedding and 100 will be the divorce

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Let us look at Banes Master Plan Which is totally all something that could reasonably done, and not at all stupid.

Have Holly Robinson kill hundreds of terrorists so that Catwoman will take the fall for it

Give Gotham and Gotham Girl powers and encounter Batman

Have Hugo Strange and the Psycho Pirate gently caress them up

Gotham dies, and Gotham Girl is even more hosed up, Batman swears to fix her

Have Psycho Pirate come to Santa Prisca, and arrange for Hugo Strange to tell this to Batman

Since he can't rely on the Justice League, Bane knows that this will lead Batman forming his own little Suicide Squad, which his ally the Ventriloquist will be part of

More importantly, this will get Batman and Catwoman back together and rekindle their romance

Let himself get defeated so that Batman can get the Psycho Pirate and get closer to Catwoman

Pretend to retaliate and go after Batman and his loved ones, bringing Bat and Cat closer together

Have Gotham Girl get "fixed"

Somehow orchestrate Batman meeting Flashpoint Thomas Wayne so that he'll tell him to marry and settle down

Batman gets engaged to Catwoman, just as keikaku

Have Skeets manipulate things so that Batman will see a world where his parents aren't dead, he's happy, and everything sucks

Tell Joker about the wedding and have him attack the couple the day before, putting doubt into Catwoman's mind

Have Holly Robinson put the final nail in the coffin by having her tell Catwoman that Batman can't be happy

Wedding is called off

THE BAT IS BROKEN

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't buy Bane setting the Booster arc in motion. Could just be that he got a hold of the Skeets that was shot and got it reprogrammed. And Batman didn't see the alternate timeline. He was told it by a babbling Booster before sending him off to the heros loony bin.

Catwoman was dope.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 4, 2018

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's at least two story arcs before that where it's outright said that the whole point of the story is to interrogate whether Batman can be happy and still be Batman. The whole point of the ending is that the answer is so obviously yes that it would take a massive underground criminal conspiracy involving every important character from the last two years of Batman comics for someone to think the opposite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Bane's thing was probably a bit more simple than that and he was just picking up poo poo as events went along. Like a "oooh this just happened, how can I take advantage of it for future use kind of thing". As for the comic itself, and I can't believe I am using spoilers but here it goes until X-O says otherwise I guess:

I really loved the first half of this issue. I really enjoy it when King does those reflection issues where a dual narrative goes on. It's a nifty (and okay I will admit it, a slightly overused) trick. The full page spreads and such were a nice way to show that this issue was a special issue. And it should have been special. It had all the build up from previous issues, and the first half of the current issue. Which is why it seemed to fall apart in the end. I can understand characters having wedding jitters (that poo poo happens in real life too) but to have the characters have jitters related to unrealistic bullshit feels too much like editorial nonsense.
Catwoman pretty much announces that Batman can never be happy because if he is happy it would be too much character development for him. She pretty much acts as the voice for DC's stance on Batman; that he remain the same character he was since the whole brooding lonely Batman stuff began (let's say the 80's). She doesn't act like the Catwoman we have seen in previous issues, she acts almost like a deus ex machina sent to make sure the wedding doesn't happen

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I gave a spoiler warning in the OP with siren gifs and everything. This was mostly so people wouldn't have to hover over black bars in the DC thread. Go freely on BMan #50.

edit: A spoiler warning could be put in the title, but we're almost a day in to the issue being out anyhow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 4, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's really dumb and contrived that it takes one single conversation that spans a couple of pages to completely undo a ton of character development several months in the making in an instant. Like man, at least let that poo poo marinate for a while if that's what you are actually for real going to go with as your dumb rear end twist.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What a waste of a year. All that time wasted could have been used to write some good stories.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Catwoman related issues are still some of my favourite recent comics. For me they didn't vanish into air because it didn't work out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are you sure? Did you look? There is no past or future, only the now. There's no way that this event will effect later stories. Batman and Catwoman are done forever.

Catwoman was pretty dang good. I'll definitely be checking out the next issue. The Artgerm cover sold out pretty fast. Same with the Jim Lee Batman cover.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Onmi posted:

THE BAT IS BROKEN

While I'll probably never read this particular series again after the worst loving twist I've seen in like, a decade, I really do hope to catch a panel or three of a mentally unstable Batman beating bane half to death. The man decided to dress up as a bat and beat the poo poo out of criminals with his bare hands to deal with emotional trauma, and your clever plan to break him is to give him new severe emotional trauma? Good luck with that.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
The thought occurs to me now that Gotham Girl being in Bane's group is even more crazy because doesn't the end of the first King arc imply she's married to Duke in the future?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read comics in many many years, but I read #48 and #49 and thought they were pretty solid. The one in the church with the Joker was neat, I've always liked his insane plots. I expected something big from #50, but I also thought the idea of Batman and Catwoman getting married to be just more comic book ridiculousness that would get retconned or sorted out soon enough anyway, so I didn't care what happened... I just wanted something to happen. The shocking twist at the end that Batman's villains were going to continue to villain it up at Batman didn't mean anything to me.

I'll read more if I hear that it's as good as #48 and #49, but I can really see why everyone's so upset at this issue for all the reasons posted in this thread.

Also while reading it I confused Holly Robinson with Harley Quinn and got further confused by her knowing Batman's identity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I'll read more if I hear that it's as good as #48 and #49, but I can really see why everyone's so upset at this issue for all the reasons posted in this thread.

The Catwoman relationship build up was fantastic and pretty much made the series.
From looking at covers to remind myself, #14,15, 24, 33-35, Annual 2, 36, 37 and 44 focus on the pairing. 14,15, Annual 2, 36 and 37 are especially great issues.

There are a couple other great stand-alones. #23 is a Swamp Thing team-up, and Batman/Elmer Fudd is ten thousand times better than you'd guess. The Porky Pig bartender in #50 comes from that.

You can see another Joker pre-wedding story for free here: https://www.comixology.com/DC-Nation-2018-0/digital-comic/666816

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 5, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Catwoman relationship build up was fantastic and pretty much made the series.
From looking at covers to remind myself, #14,15, 24, 33-35, Annual 2, 36, 37 and 44 focus on the pairing. 14,15, Annual 2, 36 and 37 are especially great issues.

There are a couple other great stand-alones. #23 is a Swamp Thing team-up, and Batman/Elmer Fudd is ten thousand times better than you'd guess. The Porky Pig bartender in #50 comes from that.

You can see another Joker pre-wedding story for free here: https://www.comixology.com/DC-Nation-2018-0/digital-comic/666816

Oh yeah, that story in DC Nation #0 on Free Comicbook Day was what got me interested.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The issue itself was pretty good up to the end twist. However I still think DC botched this event by overhyping it.

I remember mocking Marvel for doing the Kitty Pryde/Colossus wedding as a lame way to compete with DC, but that going badly ended up being better since it was a wedding no one wanted and now it opened up a much more interesting series. I hope King gets to end his run and tell the whole story he wants to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, I don't understand how THE BAT IS BROKEN when Catwoman called the whole thing off based on the idea that Batman will lose his determination if he is allowed happiness in his life. Isn't THE BAT STAYED AT THE STATUS QUO the exact opposite of THE BAT IS BROKEN?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
*Batman gets into a minor fender bender*

"THE BAT IS BROKEN" Bane says to the owner of the Ford Fiesta that clipped the batmobile.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
NOTHING CHANGED AT ALL FOR THE BAT. ERGO, HE IS BROKEN, says Bane as he holds up his C+ grade Psych 101 term paper

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Broken is a pretty fair assessment of Batman’s psyche at any given time, maybe somebody just filled him in on Bruce’s personality and that was Bane’s reaction

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

*Breaks into Wayne Manor and ruins the meal Alfred made for Bruce*

THE BAT. IS BROKEN.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

*Breaks into Wayne Manor and ruins the meal Alfred made for Bruce*

THE BAT. IS BROKEN.

Loeb's kid could write a hundred of these and I'd read them all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On the flip side to this story, I now want a story where a villain figures out who Batman is and proceeds to systematically make Bats/Bruce life better, loving up other villain plans and helping Bruce’s friends/allies have a better bond with him, eroding all the anger and angst that motivates Batman to put on the mask.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That's what Supeman's plan is.
their whole friendship is just a bizarre Machiavellian Always Sunny-esqe plot to beat the batman.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

This whole series of comics with no BatCat wedding and now Supes' family leaving is super disappointing as someone who doesn't revel in everything going wrong for characters all the time. I want them to be happy, dammit. Also, another 50 issues for the conclusion is way too loving many.

• Locked thread