Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
It seems like the USA is gonna have a mass collision of all of its bullshit by at least 2020. probably spurred on by the election:

Evidence?

Levels of violence between armed and semi-armed groups is reaching lethal levels, we all know about Charlottesville, but this is from last week in portland.

https://twitter.com/DavidNeiwert/st...genumber%3D1351
;
Americans are also really loving dumb and prone to conspiracy non-sense, a few weeks ago

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1007945984314368000

I think state employees are too entrenched to allow a geniune trump take over, but he is movng the window inexorably towards fascism.

What will the civil war look like? Well I think we are already seeing it. Pre-planned street-fights with a few dozen casualities each round. It will resemble the early Wiemar Republic more than 1862.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably not. Still convinced the Republicans aren't dumb enough to delay elections or anything like that, we're probably just looking at far right conservative policies until 2020 and isolated incidents like the one you posted.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hotel Rwanda but with twitter:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1015033658548207616

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 6, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Syria but with rednecks.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

DrSunshine posted:

Syria but with rednecks.

doubt it, we wont have state collapse, just a lot of violence. In many ways it's already started

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Syria but with rednecks.

tautological. western syria is basically the midwest of the mideast.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The problem is that there aren't diametrically opposed rich people like in the Civil War. The rich Southerners based their entire existence around cotton and slavery, and rich Northerners based it around a more diversified industrial base. And the South had to whine like loving children to get more and more government consideration to protect their dying way of life. When even that became untenable, war. Now the rich are global, and there is no incentive for them to break up the country.

.....I'm sorry, did you think poor people mattered?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

HorrificExistence posted:

What will the civil war look like? Well I think we are already seeing it. Pre-planned street-fights with a few dozen casualities each round. It will resemble the early Wiemar Republic more than 1862.

Yes. It'll be armed, organized right wing militia/gang activity performed with the tacit approval of law enforcement, and the state will condemn the perpetrators and victims alike. There will be a disingenuous john oliver skit excusing inaction on the part of comfortable coastal liberals.

Mulva posted:

The problem is that there aren't diametrically opposed rich people like in the Civil War. The rich Southerners based their entire existence around cotton and slavery, and rich Northerners based it around a more diversified industrial base. And the South had to whine like loving children to get more and more government consideration to protect their dying way of life. When even that became untenable, war. Now the rich are global, and there is no incentive for them to break up the country.

Capitalism requires crisis, and creates them in a vacuum.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
America will not have another civil war by 2020.

:toxx:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

zapplez posted:

America will not have another civil war by 2020.

:toxx:

If you're defining civil war as part of the country succeeding then I agree.

If you're talking about mass ideological violence, we're already seeing that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Violence yes but I don't know about "mass" ideological violence.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If you're defining civil war as part of the country succeeding then I agree.

If you're talking about mass ideological violence, we're already seeing that.

lovely people doing violent protests /= civil war

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So here's one thing I'd keep in mind: the now-forgotten shootout in Waco, Texas between the Bandidos and Cossacks motorcycle gangs which resulted in nine deaths. (Six Cossacks + one allied Scimitar, one unaffiliated biker and one Bandido.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WncSEUxGzNo

^ People get killed in that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
D&D focusing laserlike on what counts: distinguishing popular mobilizations of violence toward ideological ends from capital-W War.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

So here's one thing I'd keep in mind: the now-forgotten shootout in Waco, Texas between the Bandidos and Cossacks motorcycle gangs which resulted in nine deaths. (Six Cossacks + one allied Scimitar, one unaffiliated biker and one Bandido.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WncSEUxGzNo

^ People get killed in that.

What was your point here?

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

If the last civil war was between the North and the South, two geographical areas, how would Civil War 2 look... cities versus suburbs? You can't just draw a horizontal line across the map in 2018 and have one side versus the other. Is it possible to have a civil war when the opposing ideological sides aren't separated geographically?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

was 1968 a civil war? because we aren't even there yet.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gas it or be gassed bretheren

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Zas posted:

was 1968 a civil war? because we aren't even there yet.

I think there are a fundamental differences, but I'd classify 1968 as high-level civil unrest approaching a low-boil civil war

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

935 posted:

If the last civil war was between the North and the South, two geographical areas, how would Civil War 2 look... cities versus suburbs? You can't just draw a horizontal line across the map in 2018 and have one side versus the other. Is it possible to have a civil war when the opposing ideological sides aren't separated geographically?

Yeah, whichever is the local minority gets purged.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

935 posted:

While it won't be Like SyriaTM, if you want an example of how fractally hosed up things can get and still technically have a state exist then look up a syrian conflict map circa 2015 or so. In absence of the federal, things get regional.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mulva posted:

rich tech billionaires and coastal elites vs the oil and natural gas and mining tycoons.

poor rubes will do the fighting though, you're right about that

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

zapplez posted:

lovely people doing violent protests /= civil war

drat that lincoln, for hurling those fortress walls at those innocent southern cannon

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

What was your point here?
Very quickly after the bikers started shooting each other the cops put a stop to it with long arms. Enough said.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

935 posted:

coasts vs middle.

and it will be about climate change

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

935 posted:

If the last civil war was between the North and the South, two geographical areas, how would Civil War 2 look... [b]cities versus suburbs[b/]? You can't just draw a horizontal line across the map in 2018 and have one side versus the other. Is it possible to have a civil war when the opposing ideological sides aren't separated geographically?

My money is on the rural folk

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Cool, we're now Freep

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

drat that lincoln, for hurling those fortress walls at those innocent southern cannon

I have no clue what your point is

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
You're all assuming full on race war when it's just as likely we'll have to fight the elderly to get their hands off the levers of power. Ending the myth of the wise elder is pretty important for accepting foreign refugees as new citizens, accepting women as capable leaders, accepting that there's no predicting which race will produce the most valuable members of society.

Plus, the olds have all the guns and nothing to lose. They'll be glad to donate to young men willing to uphold patriotic traditions. Expect to hear about shootings in urban areas being traced back to gated communities. Police stand back and watch when Nazis attack protesters already, they already refuse to investigate crimes against black activists, ambulances already don't always come when they're needed. We're baby steps away from Jeep riding deathsquad spree shooters. Slightly longer steps until the police stop bothering to catch them. Either way, they'll be doing it to uphold what their grandpappy taught them.

I fell like there's an real interconnected thread running between elder worship, patriotism, racism, patriarchy, tribalism. They come from the same lizard brain emotional overrides that all dipshits fall for.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Willie Tomg posted:

tautological. western syria is basically the midwest of the mideast.

Somalia but with drones.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Worry about the top, not the bottom. Federal homeland security mechanisms are unbelievably well-funded, organized, & equipped, and above all, institutionalized to the rule of law. There will be no armed uprising or race war or whatever. The only reason the Bundy thing was allowed to fester was to avoid the PR consequences of a massacre (like Waco / Ruby Ridge), if they posed any actual threat it would have been a loving bloodbath. As for secession, the notion is laughable, the union is permanent and that permanence is enforced with unimaginable military might. A constitutional crisis between the executive and Congress, on the other hand, is a real possibility, and things could get dicey with the military at that stage.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't tread on me, tarp ghost.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
America is just pathetic and sad these days, and I'd bet the equivalent of a wet paper bag will cause it to collapse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

zapplez posted:

I have no clue what your point is

it turns out that "isolated acts of violence" are isolated right up until the moment they're not.

it's kind of like how every mass shooter is a Responsible Gun Owner until he opens fire

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it turns out that "isolated acts of violence" are isolated right up until the moment they're not.

it's kind of like how every mass shooter is a Responsible Gun Owner until he opens fire

Did I miss the yankees doing protests in front of the plantations before the civil war?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I hope as few of y’all die as possible

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I hope as few of y’all die as possible

2019 will see the emergence of the Forums Lyfe Crew

zapplez posted:

Did I miss the yankees doing protests in front of the plantations before the civil war?

yes the abolition movement was around and active long before 1860. also, minor detail:

e; you also probably missed most of Bleeding Kansas. you seem to be unaware of a lot of things in american history, tbh

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 7, 2018

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

My old labor history professor used to tell me about watching news footage of tanks rolling down streets in Detroit during the '70s. He was convinced open civil war just HAD to be around the corner.

Still waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think the closest we've come to a crisis of that magnitude in the modern era was the MacArthur/Truman affair.