Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nielsm posted:

USB is for connecting to a single computer, which could then be set up to share it over the network. Or you could set up a dedicated print server.

If the printer is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer, and there isn't anything in the way that could block the signal between the printer and the router, then it really ought to be perfectly reliable. Don't rely on a direct wireless connection between computer and printer, always make the printer a part of the home network, connected to your access point (router).

Maybe that's the issue, it might be connected to a closer WAP instead of directly to the main router. It should be a solid enough connection for printing but not for huge data flows. It's 2 floor away from the main router, but the 2.4 should be strong enough for that if not stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Convinced my family back home to get a Brother MFC-L3720CDW yesterday for their home business needs. I want to get them on remanufactured toner once their starter toner wears out.

Amazon is as awful as it’s ever been with ephemeral Chinese brands. What’s the go-to for #229 3rd party toner? In The States, if that matters.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

buglord posted:

Convinced my family back home to get a Brother MFC-L3720CDW yesterday for their home business needs. I want to get them on remanufactured toner once their starter toner wears out.

Amazon is as awful as it’s ever been with ephemeral Chinese brands. What’s the go-to for #229 3rd party toner? In The States, if that matters.

3rd party toner is bad.
To make it simple, toner works by using developer, either in the toner completely(mono carrier) or separate(dual carrier) or a weird mix(only in high end machines). Developer is tiny metal shards that 'grab' the toner and deliver it to the drum. This developer/toner mix has a charge applied to it that is just different enough to the charge on the drum that the areas that are written by the laser on the drum that toner is attracted to the non-written areas(or vice versa depending on manufacturer).
As you can see above, this is a very complicated system, and throwing cheap crap in any copy machine will screw it up.
3rd party toner works slightly better in smaller printers because the 'toner' is a full drum/developer/toner unit that probably work with each other, though the transfer belt/roller has its own charge and will probably suffer.
Long story short, if you want the printer to last, buy the actual toner for it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
even before I decided that my life would be spent traversing the roads and motorways of southern england repairing these cursed devices, in an office I worked in where I looked after the printers (and all of the IT kit) because I knew what a LAN was, someone while I was on holiday decided to get some knock off toner or drums for the Canon SFP to save a few quid. When I came back on Monday, the knock offs were back in their boxes with what looked like toner all over them after some sort of spillage. My advice on knock-offs, and I said the same thing to every site I went to, was "if they work, great but if they don't work, do not expect anyone to do anything with the machine when they turn up apart from telling you to buy genuine ones and walking out"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
ah poo poo, double post so content, I guess. Had a C8030 black toner go from 30% to bone dry in 24 hours, but also didn't get a notification from XDM telling me it was low, let alone empty. Also, we can't migrate to XWS off of Equitrac still because for reasons no-one can explain, all print jobs at my site get labelled in transit to the XWS server as from a different domain, and as they are from a different domain, they end up quarantined and never reach the server to be released. This doesn't happen at our other main site, and it doesn't happen on a completely isolated other network, it doesn't happen on any of our sites abroad, it literally just happens here. I suspect it's something to do with the network infrastructure here, but gently caress me, it's going to take months to get the bottom