Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Serperoth posted:

Are there any fixes for an inkjet that doesn't clean up any more? There's segments of lines missing at regular intervals, especially with black, with our Epson BX305, and even large amounts of the Head Cleaning option aren't making a dent in the problem. Can't tell if it's the nozzle, or if it's not even getting ink from the cartridge for the full duration of the head movement. The same thing happens when doing photocopies so it definitely seems head-related rather than software, but that's as far as I've been able to find out.

If not, I'm thinking of going towards a laser one, no moving parts and all that. Any brands to look out for/avoid? Cheapest brand seems to be Pantum, which is a name I haven't heard before, but Brother isn't too much higher

Pantum is actually a first party brand made by Ninestar, the Chinese company that is one of the largest 3rd party consumable manufacturers in the world. Their line looks suspiciously like Brother's machines. Oh, and they also happen to own Lexmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Hi printer thread.

I just got gifted my office's Kyocera color laser MFP as we are going 100% virtual.

It's barely been used since early 2020 since we never really went back after the lock downs.

Brought it home, got it hooked up to the network, and something is messed up.

This is the test page.

I've run the drum refresh a couple times and it seems to be doing nothing.

Any ideas where to start before I just start doing all the maintenance in the manual?

Post the model. It's something like M####[cidn] or something similar.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I agree, since as someone pointed out, it's only the black that going crazy. That rules out the transfer belt and the funeral.

https://www.precisionroller.com/dk-5140-for-kyocera/details_pn_88952.html

Obviously, shop around, but the link has the part number you're going to need.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Put in the new fuser, did the maintenance steps in its instructions, still getting this:

I'm also having feed issues through both thr new and old fuser.

Thinking this printer was free like a puppy, not free like beer and I may want to cut my time/money losses on it.

Did you change the fuser or the drum unit I linked? Fuser is likely not the issue since your having feed issues on both. And since the issue was only occurring in black, it's probably a really worn down drum roller putting down the repetitive defect. Like a paint roller with not enough paint on a particular spot.

But don't sink any more money if you feel like it's a money pit.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have a sample on hand, I will snap a pic the next time it happens, but I have a brother L2710DW (b+w only) that occasionally puts down a horizontal (slightly diagonal usually) black smudge across a print. I would say it mostly happens the first time it's been used after sitting for a while, it's usually not a huge deal to just print again but is this also likely to be a drum issue?

Is it a single horizontal line, not repeating? Drum issues are typically vertical uneven darkness and lines when they're worn down. If there's a weird defect or debris on them, they make repeating horizontal lines spaced out to a distance matching the circumference of the drum roller.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

It might be a software thing, where the job queue doesn't get communicated properly to the printer. Try updating firmware if it's available.

If it were pulling multiple sheets at the same time or just a little bit offset, then it could a feed/ separator roller issue. I'm not sure it's replaceable on that level model.

Is it happening with just print jobs from your pc or copies/scans from the automatic feeder on the top? Or both?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

What kind of machine is it? The newer HP toners on their enterprise series have had issues with waste toner spill, with yellow being the last toner cartridge to encounter the paper and coincidentally is right next to the waste toner box. I've changed out yellow toners and still got the same result then checked the waste toner and it was just piled up enough to cause the random color hit, but since it hasn't hit the counted number of pages that the waste box is rated for, doesn't show up as needing to be replaced.

Or, and this is rare, the media being copied is so old, the paper has discolored enough to be sometimes interpreted as yellow by the scanner. These are engineering drawings from 90s.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

DicktheCat posted:

Thanks for the tip, I've looked at several Canon printers, and a few Epson ones.

I'm in a weird spot where I don't need the volumes a big print shop does (100+ prints) of any given image, but need very good prints of several smaller batches.

Frankly, I'm not going to get out of this without spending a stupid amount of money.

Sadly, I'm doing very specific things, and am in a situation where it's more expedient to grit my teeth and shell out a few thousand dollars for at least a "prosumer" grade machine, if not a fully professional one. It is tax deductible, at the very least, being a business purchase.

I do patronize the local printer, but have the issue of needing a medium volume of many things, rather than a massive backstock of one image.

It sounds like you would have to go with at least the Canon ImagePROGRAF series or a similar grade machine from Epson. It might fit well with your volume. The last time I had a customer using them, they were either using too much, which led to printhead failure, or too little, which led to...printhead failure.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Adhesives and fuser units/exit rollers are going to be an issue too. Over time, the adhesive will build up, causing failure. This is from the label sheet slightly expanding at the label edges as it goes through the rollers and a bit of adhesive gets out.

There used to be OKI printers where you could fold down a manual feed tray and an output tray to get the flatest paper path, but I'm not sure what's current these days.

A lot of the parts departments I had been going to use an AMT Datasouth vinyl printer or A Zebra.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

I have a Brother HL-L3290CDW which seems to be really fussy with wireless network printing.

I have a couple PCs on my home network which can see it, but never seem to be able to print on it and another 2 that when they go to print, an error comes up that Windows had a problem printing, but it actually does print.

Does anyone with Brother experience know if there some janky wifi settings or something I need to tweak? I do have my main PC hooked up via USB and it's fine, but the printer doesn't have a network port for hardwiring to a hub (which I do have close by)... alternatively, is there such thing as a RJ45-USB printer cable I could use more reliably?

Mrs. Slidebite emails documents to me or whatever which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Side-grade to a -DN suffixed model. Those designate just an ethernet port on the back.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Fatrick posted:

Please don't get hung up on the rolls and labels thing. It's the solution we're using for many reasons. Rolls are all proprietary, using a proprietary printer, which we have, and do use, but it is expensive and slow. If we want to use a generic printer for volume printing, it's on 8.5x11 sheets. I can pre print 1000 labels and put them in a binder in 5 minutes by sheet. Or print 100 labels in an hour on a strip that I can't put into a binder in any organized way, and it'll cost me more in resources to do it, not just time.

This is what we're printing on:

https://www.panduit.com/en/products/signs-labels-identification/labels-markers-printers/desktop-printer-labels/s100x225yaj.html

We've used laser printers before for this with this product, we've never had issues with the fuser messing up the labels.

From your original post, I'd go with the Canon LBP236dw, HPs are just reshelled Canon machines anyway. It's simpler to change out the supply for your boss, and lasts longer too. The Brother toner tops out at 3k+, which might give him an impression of it not lasting as long.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

went to replace a toner, wasn't the right colour because I don't need to check the alerts. Get the right one, but put the wrong one on my desk and a fairly large puff of toner came out. Yes, I had ripped the spring loaded cap off it and it had exploded all over the inside of the box, my desk and also the floor. Tremendous

I mean, who doesn't want to celebrate Holi everyday, right?

I had a customer install a waste toner box poorly and ended up with magenta pants for the rest of the day.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

get a call. Toner spill. :smuggo:

open the front door

:stare: investigate some more

:negative:

Xerox C8000 series? Yeah, the more expensive the machine, the more people don't follow the pictures on the drat box. Hard to see because of all the toner, but are all of the packing tape still on those?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a moderately priced home printer/ scanner that won't require me to participate in what feels like a toner and/or cartridge based multi level marketing scam?

I don't want the HP Smart App Experience i just want things to print when I tell them to

On the first part, I've got bad news for you. Otherwise, get you a Brother MFC that fits in your price range. Do not feed into their "Brother Refresh" BS.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

It looks like walt disney threw up lol

I can't remember the goon's name, but multicolor toner spill always reminds me of their av:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I can't speak for SMT, but we were kitted out with this, the white this is tbis .3 micron filter cartridge:

And as for PPE, well, I had to quit because I've got the Black Hot Pink Lung.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

HP is just downright evil, the main complaint I've heard on the Epson Ecotanks is that the users expected them to last longer, and I hadn't had anybody take Brother's INKvestment Ink Tanks name seriously enough to have bought any.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

The printer was totally fine before it broke. My 8 year old brother monochrome laser printer has been throwing an out of paper error. I have lots of paper. I turned it off and on. I put in more paper. I followed youtube tutorials on how to clear the error. No luck.

Then I noticed this:

Huh, that doesn't look symmetrical. Lets just take the paper out and see.

Really? I somehow broke a tiny plastic stick in the paper tray. It's not electric or connected to anything important looking. Could this be what has convinced my printer there is no paper?

No paper can mean a sensor/flag that's stuck or broken, or it could mean that it's expecting something in the MF tray. Or a whole host of other reasons. 8 years for a printer is drat good run these days.

What's the model #?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Note to self: don't write a tip for fixing an error when you've had your first beers after six weeks without because this is absolute loving gibberish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

The first one I went to had a broken exit assembly, and the repair procedure is "take this cover off, remove exit". Except you need to take the finisher off (not documented), and every single other cover to remove that cover, and then two drives to get it out. Absolute loving mess of a machine

Coz it's a Lexmark rebrand. Gussy it up all they want, but as soon as you see that toner/imaging unit combo...

Changing anything on a Lexmark is like wearing a drat rompers, you gotta take everything off just pee change the transfer belt.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Lots of printer companies build the big models themselves and then buy in some complete trash to fill out the range of desktop and small workgroup models. I think maybe Canon are one of the few who don't do that.

You're right. Everything laser that HP makes is a Canon under the plastic.

It's really ridiculous once you start digging a little. For example, CDK, which is an offshoot of ADP (yes, the payroll company), sells dealer management software for auto dealerships nationally. But their software "works best" with their brand printers, which are rebranded HP M608 for mono or M553 for color. And they are priced even higher than HP OEM product. But the same engine exists in the Canon T03 machine or the 040 machines.

Can you install HP or Canon product in these and have the slot in and fit perfectly?

Yes.

Will it throw an error and make your customer enraged once they realize they're sitting on $1k+ of unusable toner?

Absolutely.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

By popular demand posted:

All Printer Companies Are Bastards?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Buy a Brother.

Additionally, look for -"CDW" as the model suffix, C=Color, D=Duplex, W=Wireless. I don't think any current gen wireless printers won't allow you to print from your phone.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I have a feeling this is a niche need but am hoping someone has this information.

I am looking for a printer that can print 250 gsm paper, preferrably an ink tank type, does not need to be able to print larger than A4, double sided without manual feeding is a big plus.
I am going to use it to print magic the gathering proxies. Been using the high end printer at work so far and the results are good but obviously fake so no counterfeiting concerns.

I have tried googling but i am unfamiliar with the correct terminology to use and/or its such a niche need that there simply aren’t any good hits.
Have also looked at individual printer spec sheets but many doesn’t even list paper thickness or lists «cardstock»/similar (which is technically as thick as 800gsm but when then googling to confirm the thickness it turns out it can only print 120gsm). Or they list a bunch of «genuine» paper product names which is useless.

Is there a list/database of printers with this information or does someone happen to know of a few printers with this capability? Within home-use budget that is (so like $500?)

That's some thicc stock.

You're going to want to have a printer with as straight a paper path as you can. Off the bat, I would normally suggest Canon Image proGraf 1000, but that's gonna be 2-3x your budget.

There's a lower level Canon, the Pixma Pro-200 https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/pixma-pro-200?color=Black&type=New that looks like it should do the trick, but it's currently out of stock from reputable sources, and other not so reputable retailers are giving higher than $500 as the sale price.

In this case, I would actually say to avoid laser printers as the thickness of the stock you're looking to use will necessitate you slowing down the prints to make sure the toner melts properly to the paper, which in turn cuts down the life of the fuser. Hope this helps.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks for the suggestions on other methods. I am not just printing a couple though, so they need to be ready to go without further modification after i have cut them apart.

My only real requirement is the printer being able to print 250gsm, with a high preference on an inktank printer (impression being that that is cheaper, though could just be marketing)

These 3 are interesting:
Canon Pixma 200 (not inktank, 300gsm, can print photo, currently has a cashback making it ~20% cheaper)
Epson Ecotank 8850 (inktank, 300gsm, a bit more expensive than i was hoping, can print photo)
Epson Ecotank 4850 (inktank, 250gsm, not sure how good at photo)

Photography is my other hobby and i have been curious about printing photos at home for like a decade. Thinking of going for a printer that can do that too (and do it well) now that i have the opportunity to do so.

I have used budget Epson home printers in the past (e.g. XP-2200) and they have been frustrating to use. They install like 6 different software in your computer and regularly are unable to connect to (with a cable even, not wireless)

Are the slightly more higher end Epsons easier to use?
How does Epson compare to Canon user friendlyness?

I would suggest the eco tank as well, if only for the economy. They sell almost all home and small business printers at a loss, and make it up on the consumables.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Kangra posted:

Not completely out of the question, but she needs a scanner anyway (she doesn't want to try and use her phone and I don't think it'd be a good idea for her). When I suggested using a scanner and an internet faxing service, she didn't seem to like the idea.

Have her look at a Brother MFC-L2750dw, it uses the same consumables as what she has (TN760/DR730) and there's very little a lower amount of things that can go wrong.
Just make sure she gets something with an MFC- prefix if she does go Brother, the DCP- line might not have an ADF and scan/fax jobs start to really suck after 3-4 pages.

I would have her stay away from HP AIOs inkjets, only because those won't let you scan or fax if an ink cartridge needs to be replaced. I think other inkjet machines aren't as hatefully designed, but it's been a bit.

Edit: as for ease of use, you plug in the phone jack, press the fax button to turn on fax mode, and dial away.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Toner does tend to be more expensive per cartridge, yes. But the typical out put from one vs. an ink cartridge is an order of magnitude larger. For the customers I used to service, the savings showed up in pages/ dollar.

Plus, inkjets have that fun feature where it has to use up ink to clean the nozzles.

Or if you get the two cartridge ones where the colors are all together, you end up having to throw away usable ink because one color is out.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

I have an ancient Laserjet CP1215 that has some color alignment issues. Black prints perfectly fine but the rest are off with cyan being way off. I've got a XP VM running the HP Toolbox to run the automatic calibrations, which did nothing, then I did a factory reset on the printer and ran three more calibration cycles, which did nothing, and I've replaced the cyan and magenta cartridges with genuine HP cartridges just in case.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Here's the main calibration page:

And the supplies page. I've since replaced the magenta cartridge but it's still showing the same alignment issues.

This is going to sound so dumb, but replace the K toner cart as well. Near end of life toners sometimes cause weird signal issues. I can't give the actual why, I've just seen it happen or someone I was on a call with/ chat say it worked.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Not a dumb idea at all, but I gave it a shot and no dice. I even swapped out the Y cartridge just to be sure that wasn't the problem.

Ok, are you seeing any error messages?

Because it sounds like your misregistration sensor on the ITB is borked.

The calibration process puts down toner on the belt directly, this sensor assembly checks the placement of each band of toner as it passes. If it sees misalignment, it signals the corresponding laser to adjust.

If it's not working right, that usually produces a "54.XXX" error.

I'm not sure where you are in the world, so I can't give you availability on the part.

And it sucks because these were really the last gasp of when Hp printers were drat solid. poo poo these days don't last 5 years, nevermind 15.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.laserpros.com/hp-cm1312-1415mfp-cp1215-1518ni-1525-itb-assembly-rm1-7866-rm1-4436-ro

The sensor on this series is included in the ITB assembly. You can shop around if you have a more trustworthy source. I had checked Depot International first.

https://laserpros.com/img/manuals/hp-manuals/hp-clj-cp1210-cp1510-manual.pdf

That's the link to the a copy of the service manual. If you've taken apart a pc before.... it's like taking apart a really cramped pc. Instructions specific to the ITB start on pg. 124 (142 on a .pdf reader), but there's other panels and internals that have to be removed prior.

You can also try blowing out the ITB with a compressed air duster once removed (OUTSIDE, away from anything important, and wearing clothes you don't give a poo poo about) before buying a replacement.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Hello everyone!

Got a weird one for you. On this old Konica Minolta bizhub C280, I'm having a strange problem where colors darken/deepen around the edges of areas of solid color. This is especially noticeable on red and magenta colors, though it appears slightly in blue as well.

It's very apparent in person, though on scans it doesn't show up particularly well. I've adjusted the contrast levels here to make it clearer:

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm at a bit of a loss.

Are you able to post a pic of just the magenta there on the bottom, right? Is this on a maintenance contract? I think it might need a new M drum unit (or developer)if all your toners are not near empty. And I'd rather you get the part for "free" if it comes to that.

tribbledirigible fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 30, 2024

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Capturing this effect on camera is super annoying! For what it's worth, the problem gets much worse when printing on thick paper. Not sure if that's relevant?

It's definitely not under a maintenance contract anymore. This was saved from a company that went under and had an adventurous life since then (including being strapped -- badly -- in the back of a pickup truck and driven through the snow under a tarp).

Thanks for posting those. Yeah, adjustments need to made on your print dialog menu for thicker paper to let slow down the media through its trip through the printer so the toner gets laid on, then melted onto the paper properly.

So, like the goon above me said, it's likely an issue with the drum unit. Though the developer isn't far behind when that goes.

https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C554-C454-C364-C284-C224/EN/contents/id11-0012.html

Can you print or take a pic of the consumables status report at the bottom of the linked page? Konica-Minolta's menu interface team are all graduates of Capcom, so the instructions linked pretty much apply no matter the model.

That way, we'll know if one or the other needs replacement. If it's not clear either way, my next suggestion will still be to replace the drum. If that doesn't solve the issue, then I'd replace the developer.

https://www.precisionroller.com/all-supplies-and-parts-for-konica-minolta-bizhub-c280/products.html

You don't have to buy the supplies from here if you have a preferred source, but all the normal consumables are listed, with the drum and developer listed near the bottom.

If that still doesn't fix the issue, then I'd call in a local tech. But that's gonna be at least 1-2hrs labor plus whatever parts they deem necessary. It's a machine that's old enough to get a driver's permit.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

It’s, uh, not new.

Well, your usage certainly is low enough that it made the printer throw its hands up for when the K drum is gonna need replacement.

The estimated page yield on the CMY drums is 90K pages each. So it's not end of life, just a bit over halfway. It shouldn't be performing like that.

On the site I linked, it's $252 for the OEM drum and $297 for the OEM developer. If I were working on this, I'd try replacing the drum first, then the developer.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bolind posted:

Having recently been burned by HP laser printers and their cartridges having the chip, preventing me from buying non-HP toner cartridges... are they all like that?

What are the recommendations for a multi function laser printer (scan, fax, copy. print, duplex) where a new set of toner doesn't cost as much as the printer itself?

Which model do/did you have?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bolind posted:

Thanks I'll check those out.

I have a HP Color LaserJet M554 and a site office is asking about the HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP 4301fdw. Both only work with OEM cartridges, unless you spend an hour with a pair of tweezers moving over the chips.

The 4301 might be a lost cause, especially if they bought the slightly cheaper variant of the same loving model that locks you into OEM only. That was a fun fact to find out.

The M554 should have available toner w/ chips that keep up with the firmware. It was pretty much standard practice for my customers to turn off fw updates, and allow non-Hp supplies. But it's behind a scare message and really buried in the UI. Hp says it's for "security" but at best it only disallows a generation of chips from working, and at worst it bricks their own poo poo

MSE/Clover brand is a decent choice for build quality and they typically will swap out a toner with a chip error if you call them: https://www.staples.com/clover-imag...rBoCnRkQAvD_BwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I don't have a horse in this race anymore, just giving him some options. That M554 was not cheap, and while I have gripes about their home/small office machines, HP's Enterprise line has been surprisingly decent for large volume work that I've seen at car dealerships, realtors, and doctors offices.

And I agree, there's an absolute buttload of drill-and-fill toners out there of dubious quality, but we did keep metrics on issues by manufacturer, OEM and compatible. HP had a 3% failure rate (or as our HP rep said, a 97% success rate).

Aster manufactured toners were the worst- those are a lot of of those 5 for $5 that you see on LD or Amazon. Then, depending on which SKU the reseller ordered, Ninestar (the guys who own Lexmark) compatible toner were fairly decent. Then there were a few US based places like MSE/ Clover and Source Tech that kept to that same 3% issue rate or lower.