Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite emails documents to me or whatever which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

You can 100% end up with the router causing issues with the printer. Depending on the model, 'wireless privacy', 'wireless firewall' or something like that can cause the wireless and wired network segments to not talk to each other, or sometimes only talk one way.

If you're trying to AirPrint or use it on an iDevice, then googling 'brother printer airprint router model' will be the easiest way to figure out which setting is causing the Bonjour service to crap out and refuse to work right.

Edit: If they're all windows PCs, you can just share the USB printer out over the network, and have all the PCs connect to yours to print. That'll work fine, and cut the entire Brother/Router wifi slapfight out of the picture. Only downside is printer only works if your PC is online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Interesting angle - never thought about that. Using the vanilla ISP supplied router with my FTTH (Telus).

Good idea. Thanks.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

tribbledirigible posted:

It sounds like you would have to go with at least the Canon ImagePROGRAF series or a similar grade machine from Epson. It might fit well with your volume. The last time I had a customer using them, they were either using too much, which led to printhead failure, or too little, which led to...printhead failure.

:negative:

You know that joke about computer professionals keeping a loaded gun next to their printer in case it steps out of line?

Joking aside, my roommate routinely keeps Epsons in line at work, and I used to be the secondary designated computer-understander when we worked together. (No, we weren't paid more to do the tech work or treated with any respect, why do you ask?)

Thanks Ants posted:

Would something like an Epson SC-P700 fit the bill?

Thanks for the recc! She looks like a nice little machine. I really like the auto-cutting options for banners and things- that opens a lot of formats.
There are certain options I would have killed for in the pro machines at my old job.

I'm actually surprised at the price. $700-$800 is less than I was expecting. Of course, they'll take it out of my hide with the proprietary consumables, but quality prints pay for themselves.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Back to label chat, my wife uses our HLL3210CDW mostly for her Etsy shop, which involves lots of sheet labels and full sheet invoices. As long as you use the straight feed path (all the Brother printers I've had have it, but verify before buying) it hasn't given us any issues. It's color because of her specific needs, but our other printer is a HL2170W that lives in the garage for me to print invoices on, is about 15 years old, and just keeps trucking along.

She wanted to print shipping labels on the laser as well, but I convinced her to buy a Rollo thermal printer and boxes of labels. Other than the fact that it's USB only, and thus is shared off my desktop to print from her laptop, it's been the most trouble free printer I've ever dealt with. $20 for 500 labels, no consumables, no wasted half-sheets or whatever.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Got a canon

Trauts fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 29, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
went to replace a toner, wasn't the right colour because I don't need to check the alerts. Get the right one, but put the wrong one on my desk and a fairly large puff of toner came out. Yes, I had ripped the spring loaded cap off it and it had exploded all over the inside of the box, my desk and also the floor. Tremendous

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

went to replace a toner, wasn't the right colour because I don't need to check the alerts. Get the right one, but put the wrong one on my desk and a fairly large puff of toner came out. Yes, I had ripped the spring loaded cap off it and it had exploded all over the inside of the box, my desk and also the floor. Tremendous

I mean, who doesn't want to celebrate Holi everyday, right?

I had a customer install a waste toner box poorly and ended up with magenta pants for the rest of the day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a moderately priced home printer/ scanner that won't require me to participate in what feels like a toner and/or cartridge based multi level marketing scam?

I don't want the HP Smart App Experience i just want things to print when I tell them to

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

I mean, who doesn't want to celebrate Holi everyday, right?

I had a customer install a waste toner box poorly and ended up with magenta pants for the rest of the day.

get a call. Toner spill. :smuggo:

open the front door

:stare: investigate some more

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

get a call. Toner spill. :smuggo:

open the front door

:stare: investigate some more

Xerox C8000 series? Yeah, the more expensive the machine, the more people don't follow the pictures on the drat box. Hard to see because of all the toner, but are all of the packing tape still on those?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a moderately priced home printer/ scanner that won't require me to participate in what feels like a toner and/or cartridge based multi level marketing scam?

I don't want the HP Smart App Experience i just want things to print when I tell them to

On the first part, I've got bad news for you. Otherwise, get you a Brother MFC that fits in your price range. Do not feed into their "Brother Refresh" BS.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It looks like walt disney threw up lol

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

It looks like walt disney threw up lol

I can't remember the goon's name, but multicolor toner spill always reminds me of their av:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Xerox C8000 series? Yeah, the more expensive the machine, the more people don't follow the pictures on the drat box. Hard to see because of all the toner, but are all of the packing tape still on those?

Nah, backed up waste toner and it was a WC78xx from what I remember. The NVM setting for a) how much waste toner the box could handle before telling you to re-order one and b) how many pages it would print before subsequently telling you to replace it were set *comically* high as a default. As in twice as much waste before re-ordering and 80% more pages before replacement, and so the waste would back up everywhere and new toner would start making GBS threads itself *everywhere*. That one had toner in every fan and outlet, all over the back of the wall and even up on top of the document handler. I was there for about six hours vacuuming the inners, all of the LED print heads and essentially replaced the entire print engine. On a Friday

It should also be noted that despite this being a known issue, the far too high settings for the waste box were translated into the C80xx series

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nah, backed up waste toner and it was a WC78xx from what I remember. The NVM setting for a) how much waste toner the box could handle before telling you to re-order one and b) how many pages it would print before subsequently telling you to replace it were set *comically* high as a default. As in twice as much waste before re-ordering and 80% more pages before replacement, and so the waste would back up everywhere and new toner would start making GBS threads itself *everywhere*. That one had toner in every fan and outlet, all over the back of the wall and even up on top of the document handler. I was there for about six hours vacuuming the inners, all of the LED print heads and essentially replaced the entire print engine. On a Friday

It should also be noted that despite this being a known issue, the far too high settings for the waste box were translated into the C80xx series

Do you have to have a special vacuum for that? Do you need protective gear to avoid inhaling all the cancer?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I can't speak for SMT, but we were kitted out with this, the white this is tbis .3 micron filter cartridge:

And as for PPE, well, I had to quit because I've got the Black Hot Pink Lung.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I had a vacuum like that too, I think I used an entire cartridge cleaning out that monstrosity. And PPE? Lol no, I was a contractor at the time

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That not being fixed probably means it was a dual component carrier with a small amount of carrier in the toner, and the machine couldn't balance developer/toner properly. So it just starts dumping and spraying everywhere. A smart manufacturer would put a backup up physical switch to stop the machine when the bottle filled but that would cost 2 more dollars so they didn't bother.
My company did this for a few models before they figured it out, it was horrible.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Been a while since I needed a printer so what's the consensus on ink tank printers?
I'd probably only use it once a week.

also are all manufacturers about as bad or has one been particularly bad?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

HP is just downright evil, the main complaint I've heard on the Epson Ecotanks is that the users expected them to last longer, and I hadn't had anybody take Brother's INKvestment Ink Tanks name seriously enough to have bought any.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The printer was totally fine before it broke. My 8 year old brother monochrome laser printer has been throwing an out of paper error. I have lots of paper. I turned it off and on. I put in more paper. I followed youtube tutorials on how to clear the error. No luck.

Then I noticed this:

Huh, that doesn't look symmetrical. Lets just take the paper out and see.

Really? I somehow broke a tiny plastic stick in the paper tray. It's not electric or connected to anything important looking. Could this be what has convinced my printer there is no paper?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I doubt it, but I think the more interesting question is where did the piece that broke off end up?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

The printer was totally fine before it broke. My 8 year old brother monochrome laser printer has been throwing an out of paper error. I have lots of paper. I turned it off and on. I put in more paper. I followed youtube tutorials on how to clear the error. No luck.

Then I noticed this:

Huh, that doesn't look symmetrical. Lets just take the paper out and see.

Really? I somehow broke a tiny plastic stick in the paper tray. It's not electric or connected to anything important looking. Could this be what has convinced my printer there is no paper?

No paper can mean a sensor/flag that's stuck or broken, or it could mean that it's expecting something in the MF tray. Or a whole host of other reasons. 8 years for a printer is drat good run these days.

What's the model #?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

slidebite posted:

I doubt it, but I think the more interesting question is where did the piece that broke off end up?

:iiam: If that piece didn't cause the problem it could have broken off years ago and I never noticed. Probably while loading or changing paper.

tribbledirigible posted:

No paper can mean a sensor/flag that's stuck or broken, or it could mean that it's expecting something in the MF tray. Or a whole host of other reasons. 8 years for a printer is drat good run these days.

What's the model #?

DCP7065DN

It could just be wearing out. This year it has had several paper jams, a problem it never had before. Stupid entropy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Note to self: don't write a tip for fixing an error when you've had your first beers after six weeks without because this is absolute loving gibberish

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Note to self: don't write a tip for fixing an error when you've had your first beers after six weeks without because this is absolute loving gibberish

How do you explain the rest of the manual/eureka/communities being gibberish?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Llab posted:

How do you explain the rest of the manual/eureka/communities being gibberish?

Oh god, some of them I've tried to parse and just gave up so I like to think my only entry to them was in the same style. That one was a bit of a weird one, but turning round to their IT guy and saying "by the way, you will have to reconfigure that device from scratch and *oh*, the long weekend starts in one hour so goodbye and good luck" as I walked out always feels good

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My new printer arrived (Cannon G540 inktank) installation was simple and it works like a dream, no calibration needed.
this of course fills me with trepidation for how it will fail me in the future just as I become entirely reliant.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Was a little bored at work, mainly because I've done a decent job with maintaining my fleet, so I went back and looked at the service manuals for the B600 series and gently caress me, those manuals should be trashed and new ones written

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Yes!!! That's what they put me on when I started, and quickly left those behind as soon as I could

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The first one I went to had a broken exit assembly, and the repair procedure is "take this cover off, remove exit". Except you need to take the finisher off (not documented), and every single other cover to remove that cover, and then two drives to get it out. Absolute loving mess of a machine

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

The first one I went to had a broken exit assembly, and the repair procedure is "take this cover off, remove exit". Except you need to take the finisher off (not documented), and every single other cover to remove that cover, and then two drives to get it out. Absolute loving mess of a machine

Coz it's a Lexmark rebrand. Gussy it up all they want, but as soon as you see that toner/imaging unit combo...

Changing anything on a Lexmark is like wearing a drat rompers, you gotta take everything off just pee change the transfer belt.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I didn't even realize Lexmark was still around. Didn't they make the Dell-branded printers that were out for a brief period?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I still remember a dumb commercial they had in the 90's where a small child kept pronouncing it Lecksh-mark.

Don't choose a printer based on the amount of name mispronunciations in the advertisement, you'll only be disappointed.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Lexmark is the base brand, right?
Cause the first time I logged into our single function Konica Minoltas, my immediate response was “this is a rebranded Lexmark”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of printer companies build the big models themselves and then buy in some complete trash to fill out the range of desktop and small workgroup models. I think maybe Canon are one of the few who don't do that.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Lots of printer companies build the big models themselves and then buy in some complete trash to fill out the range of desktop and small workgroup models. I think maybe Canon are one of the few who don't do that.

You're right. Everything laser that HP makes is a Canon under the plastic.

It's really ridiculous once you start digging a little. For example, CDK, which is an offshoot of ADP (yes, the payroll company), sells dealer management software for auto dealerships nationally. But their software "works best" with their brand printers, which are rebranded HP M608 for mono or M553 for color. And they are priced even higher than HP OEM product. But the same engine exists in the Canon T03 machine or the 040 machines.

Can you install HP or Canon product in these and have the slot in and fit perfectly?

Yes.

Will it throw an error and make your customer enraged once they realize they're sitting on $1k+ of unusable toner?

Absolutely.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All Printer Companies Are Bastards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

By popular demand posted:

All Printer Companies Are Bastards?