Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can I open up a trader stall and become rich and never fight anything and be boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My Kenshi starter story:

Started off as a trader. Unloaded everything on my bull onto the nearest merchant, saw that ore had the lowest sell percentage and bought up. Wandered around the desert for days and realize that every place in that area had the same mark up values. While I pondered what to do next someone pick pocketed me. Catching this pick pocket I manage to convince them to join me, and we became BFFs as we ran across the desert trying to find a place to offload this ore for a profit.

I eventually ran across a sizable battle between not catholics and not america and looted the corpses of the fallen. Then it turned out only some of them were playing dead and when they got up they started running after me and we booked it. Had a lot of athletics training running across the desert. I would make further profit stumbling across fights, either between humans or beasts, and taking what I can from the corpses. I went from honest trader to a scavenging buzzard.

Deciding I was sick of the desert and how I can't do trade runs cause everything was priced the same, I booked it in random directions. I went straight north and found nothing, headed back to one of the towns I knew and headed west, where acid chased me off. So I ran south where laser beams were firing from space. Straddling the edge of this area I head southwest and end up in a swamp. Managed to run into a village and upon entering the center I hear it:

"Fish and drugs here!"

:getin:

I did several drug runs from the swamp areas to the rocky lands in the south... well just to one city down there. No one else will buy my dank rear end weed except having to join a faction with a 10k start up fee who then slashes the price of what I sell by 50% which is no bueno. Using my money I started buying up building materials and hiring a few people. I then set up a base on the edge of the swamp as close to my main squeeze with the intent of growing my own pot to sell.

I am now locked in an eternal battle of blood spiders. Send help.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tried my hand at a slave start. Managed to get both of my characters out along with a good chunk of other slaves, 4 of whom joined me. And god drat the stats on those guys! Anyways after a day of winding through the mountains, evading patrols and getting a lucky river raptor herd going after gate guards which let me run past, 3 of the 6 party members fainted from starvation. I kept pushing through, and my heart sank when I looted some raptors and saw that they didn't have edible meat.

It was coming down to the wire, the remaining 3 members were getting close to 85. It was impossible to hit any settlements as they ALL had a gate on them, making a quick run for food impossible. But I finally found it, one single settlement with 3 buildings and no walls. I was waiting for the game to finish loading a pop a wall up in front of me, but nothing. One of the buildings was FILLED with food, rations and food cubes. After feeding everyone I check the other house and wake up the sleeping occupants. They decided to run up to the roof of the building... where a hoard of raptors decided to show up and rush inside the building after them.

I've got a good chunk of food, found some bandages even, half the party is out of their prisoner's garbs and they got some sticks for weapons. Gotta keep pushing out of the Holy Nation lands :getin:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Found some weaponry in a razed holy outpost, found a bunch of materials in a razed holy settlement.

At the border of holy grounds, we make our move to take retribution against Okran's followers. Slow going in whittling down the nearby holy mines, they really gently caress me up even going at a 6 on 1 beatdown.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat you can power level the hell out of stealth as a slave by entering sneak mode while you're in the cage for the night. Also do you do the Naruto run when you have so much stealth leveled up?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh my god.

I jumped a handful of guards in rebirth and ko'd them, then tossed them into the cages. And now they're prisoners. Holy poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a reason my own party members are detecting one another in stealth mode? Its all arrows pointing to one another, which is annoyingly keeping a few party members in a red eye which makes me unsure if we're safe or not.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Are they wearing any faction uniforms/disguises? That's a known bug. Take it off and the detection should go away.

Oh well that will explain it, thanks!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Holy warband heading to my base. Got my character with 99 stealth and 55 assassin running circles around it, picking out a soldier and ko'ing them, stripping down their gear and running to a waystation to sell the stuff off. At this point I'm starting to wonder if its worth the effort of sending someone else to a main city to pick up a handful of mercenaries.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

well due to my own stupidity it looks like my scorchlander main character and her rando shek pal are taking an extended hotel stay in the Stack cages while i mine out enough to pay their bounties! all i wanted was to peddle some booze but these holy nation bastards have no sense of fun. if i stay in sneak mode the entire time will it be easy points, and can i unlock my cage over and over without actually leaving it?

Sometimes if a soldier is nearby they will run up and relock a cage after you pick it. For fun times in grinding assassination, go ahead and try to knock out a nearby guard and then throw yourself back into the cage when you fail. Alternatively let yourself get beaten for the toughness training :v:

E: Slave start really is the "pro strat" of this game.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 28, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

"We've somehow been systematically knocked out and all our weapons and armor is missing, what do we do?!"

"Keep charging :byodood:"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of stats, do they have any effect after 99? I assume the cap in leveling is 99. And if I were to wear something that puts my stats at or above 99, would that effectively lock my training in that stat? I'm at like 93 stealth but wearing some gear that sets me to around 102, haven't really budged on the xp bar despite constantly stealthing around raids to steal all their gear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Donkringel posted:

For the first part, clothing bonuses won't push you past cap, but bionics will.

For the second part, it's just taking a lot of xp. The enemies may be too low of a level to give you effective xp. I hit cap with clothing around 70 or so, but I continued to level up until 92 or so. If you're hitting cap with stealth clothing, it may be time to consider swapping them out for better armored/other bonuses in clothing, since you're not making use of the bonuses.

Well then, time to pass down these ninja rags!

... If I didn't do a restart. Something I learned this go around with the slave start: Apparently the guards will empty out containers. I had a bunch of grog and food saved up in a chest and now its empty :saddowns:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In my new run I'm setting up in Mongrel, taking runs to Holy territory to steal food and materials. I got caught at the gates however and this one loving paladin would not gently caress off and followed me into the foglands. Managed to ko him.

All you had to loving do was turn around man

THAT WAS ALL YOU HAD TO DO

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, after the initial excitement of getting to Mongrel and doing copper mine runs for money, a base in the fog lands is a complete snorefest. The fogmen aren't attacking and the holy lands aren't bothering despite having 2 military bases right at the border. Getting ready to move.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

soy posted:

That second town that appears on your map when you start as wanderer is just empty, no people... Did they all get murdered or is this just a bug? (I see no corpses)

I have no mods installed yet. Also I know people are supposed to be here because they were on my first game, which I died horribly in.

I've run into this bug upon starting 2 games. Rebirth will be working fine, there will be paladin patrols around the area. Then I get to a settlement and its just empty. Gotta import your save.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:getin:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I take back about fog island base being a snooze fest, I got that bandit demand and the holy nation DID attack my base. Assassin is now my main source of attack as I KO the warband and deposit them onto a fog man pole. Every night I go to sleep to the sounds of holy men screaming about their legs being eaten.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a mod that stops my units from rocketing off at mach 5 whenever they walk up some stairs?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I had a fog men attack and Holy Nation assault happening at once. The fog men breached the walls, I mostly fought off the first wave but then the second one came in. They knocked out everyone, minus the 3 mounted crossbow people on the roofs. As they dragged 3 party members off the holy assault came in, annoyingly they calmly ran past the retreating fog men, but they started fighting the fog men once they got inside the base. They were too busy with one another to take out the people on the crossbows, eventually ending with both sides down. I slowly recoup the people still in the base and begin looting.

Meanwhile I'm rushing my ninjas back to the foglands to bust out my prisoners. Thankfully the fog men decided to munch on various holy men first, managed to bust the captured people out and set them back in mongrel to heal up. Intense stuff, but I like how even though I "lost" that fight I can easily recoup and actually be stronger for it due to the skills earned during the fights and the toughness gains from getting beaten up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Must have mod right here

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

i've read that raids won't even trigger if your outposts are empty, is that true?

I changed where I settled down at and so far nothing has happened to my old base.

I'm starting to feel the call of being a traveling caravan. Settling down feels so restrictive when you should be going out and exploring the land.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Starting again, slave start, I'm trying to level up martial arts before escaping rebirth. God drat the holy guys are swole. Even after using assassination to steal their weapons and armor, then equipping said armor, they don't give a gently caress. They'll punch straight through that armor like it was nothing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Agreed, why go through making your own plates when the Holy Empire has all these materials laying around for the taking?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Farecoal posted:

and how do you get your thievery skill high enough to rob stores without getting caught?

You apply your fist to the back of the heads of everyone in the building :getin:

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 6, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HoboTech posted:

So I really want to get into this game, but the past two or three times I've tried I run into a bug where I could not get into one or more houses. The door would be open and unlocked, but my character wouldn't go through the door. Saving and loading didn't work, and the only advice I've seen is to "save and import". Even the F12 buttons that are supposed to fix things said there was nothing to fix.

Is importing the only solution? It feels like someone saying "just start over again", but I don't know enough about the game yet to know if that's true (played maybe 4 hours so far).

Other than that, I'm kind of excited to sit down this weekend and put some actual time in. Wanna start as a solo wanderer, become Kenshiro, and then start building a posse to take out slavers.

I run into this bug and sometimes holding ctrl shift and F11 will fix nav meshes. Often though when that start to happens, I don't know if its maybe a memory leak (I don't know how to computer) but when that starts to happen I save and restart the program. No need to import, just restart the program.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Note to self: build bases with two gates.

I set up shop on the ridge north of Squin to get some mining/crafting material production started and now there’s a million bandits clustered around the single gate in demanding tribute and it made me miss Prayer Day and the Holy Nation is grumpy with me now too.

I feel like one of these problems will solve the other eventually, but food is a bit of an issue.

MY GOOD SIR, HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD OF OKRAN?!

HoboTech posted:

My biggest problem is I've only done the "make a character(s), play a few hours" loop. I need to sit down and actually put some time into it. I'm still getting over the mental hurdle that losing a fight can be just as good as winning one, for instance.

Thats something I'm loving about Kenshi. Did you win the fight? Cool you get some weapon training and whatever valuables the other guy had. Did you lose? You are now tougher.

I'm currently set up as a farm guard for the flotsam ninjas. Just stand around the farms and get all the free training and animal skins from the river raptors that show up. Wish there was a building I could buy in Flotsam Village, but it seems like the no build zone around that place is way smaller then normal cities.

E: And I seem to have a 100% steal chance for the crops that the AI harvests but never use, unless the biofuel generator isn't full. Free food for my work!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright Beep

Don't take that poo poo Beep

Stand up to your bullies Beep

God dammit beep :what:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well that was a fun foray into the cannibal plains. I run into a group of shrieking cannibals and apparently they didn't like how I shrieked back at them, I booked it to my dear allies the Flotsam Ninja outpost. When I arrive I'm greeted with the ninjas already fighting a different group of cannibals. So now there is this 2 v 1 v 1 going on with my guys and the ninjas fighting shrieking cannibals and the other cannibals. The shrieking bandits come out in the end and thankfully grabbed the other cannibals before running off.

Is there a mod that changes the UI so when I hit more then 6 members it will split them across 2 groups on the party menu bar and not minimize them? I've got a party of 10 and their thumbnails is the size of... well my thumbnail. I wish it would split them 5 and 5 with larger thumbnails. Making 2 squads for a crew who will always be around one another is annoying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Private Speech posted:

You, uhh, haven't looked very far then.

There's dozens of mods that raise it to 256, which is the actual hardcoded max.

e:
e.g. this, but there's literally over a dozen.

It's like the single most common change in modpacks.

We meant the icons on the squad menu. After so many the icons just get smaller to fit it all in one row, leaving empty space. Instead of filling up that space by splitting the icons and letting them be bigger.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So uh, if you are using the reactive worlds mod you probably shouldn't build a base anywhere around the northern area. Jesus christ, its non stop raids from all the different cannibal clans it adds one after another.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do not forget the most important part of being in a group

Companionship :unsmith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I prefer light armor cause ALL THESE drat CANNIBALS :byodood:

If it isn't the cannibals in the north its all the drat manhunters and slave traders who keep attacking me in the UC territories. Also gently caress those guys, I swear every time after a melee and one of my dudes go down a squad of them will spawn nearby and beeline it for the ko'd squaddie.

These guys make it VERY tempting to install a "less AOE" mod.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Growing food is for the slaves. I trade the weapons and armor of my fallen enemies for sustenance!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The less bullshit blood spider range mod is the greatest. Why does something that can do like 120 damage to a vital body part have such huge range?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is people wanting to join you after breaking them out of a cannibal's pole something in the base game or would recruitable prisoners or reactive world? Someone approached me in the Flotsam Village after I freed them from cannibals and they are swole.as.gently caress.

Like they're way too powerful for this to have been a vanilla event.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a simple "locate this character" cheat? I've spent like 5 hours trying to find one character doing laps around UC territories and its driving me nuts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I've built up a base and for some reason a good amount of walls have their town ownership set to other nearby towns, despite me owning it. This makes it so I can't deconstruct them. How do I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

zedprime posted:

You train your pack bull to be stealthy too. They won't be ninja stealthy but they don't need to be. [s]They just need to get within gear transfer distance of an ancient tower.[/s[ be carried by your swole rear end ninja