Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I have 3 guys (Starter, hobbs and thoke) and I'm busy mining copper to make some money. Should my next step be to buy a house in town and do a little research or explore the environment a bit, even if that'll probably get me turbo-killed.

I'm also playing without any mods, does anyone have any recommendations for when I eventually crash and burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Should I buy extra buildings in Hub or start my own base when I reach tech level 2? I need to build the bench somewhere and the little shack I bought isn't anywhere near big enough for everything I need.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I bought a babby house, but its fine because now I have space for more stuff.

I've got 5 guys now. 2 of them are mining copper full time, 1 is making bandannas when fabric is available and the other is researching. the last one floats and either does resource runs to other towns or shuttles copper to the bar to sell.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I haven't really explored because everything is so dangerous.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Are crossbows worth a drat? I've got enough money to start looking at more than just survival purchases and the idea of having ranged weapons to soften up targets is appealing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I was thinking of building my base in the border between Vain and the Border Zone. Is this a good idea or am I going to be turbo hosed by something?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Where do you buy animals? I've been using my characters to pack mule resources from Stack and Squin back to my bandanna factory in Hub but I've got enough money now that I'm being limited in what I can buy by the weight of all the things I want.

I'm also at about 8 or 9 people and am starting to really get limited by only owning buildings in town, so I'm probably going to start a settlement soon. Is there any particular place that's a really good idea or am I fine as long as I'm near iron and copper deposits?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

That Guy Bob posted:

North of Stack is a good location for a base, there should be a spot with decent water iron and copper for resources, but there was constant bandit and bonedogs groups running around there last time I built a base there.

How will this work out if I've got a skeleton, shek and hiver on the crew? I don't want them to get killed by the roving murder squads the holy assholes send out every now and then for the crime of existing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Considering the skeleton is currently making 90% of all the money I get through churning out bandannas I'll have to go somewhere else. Its good to know that I can potentially use the hiver and shek near them, though.

Edit: Is there a sustainable way to get raw meat? I'm thinking about feeding bonedogs and I don't want to be held hostage by random spawning wild goats or bulls.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 6, 2018

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The other problem I have with hunting wild animals is that I'm pretty certain they'd kick my rear end. I got lucky when 2 bull herds were close enough to Stack that I could let the guards kill them but I've cooked all of that meat.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 6, 2018

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
No, it'll get raided to gently caress. I hadn't even finished building anything yet and a horde of 15 ninja's decided to raid the place.

I ran the gently caress away and they stood around for a while before realizing I literally had nothing and buggering off.

E: A prayer day group came around and didn't care that I had a skeleton, shek and 2 hivers clearly visible. I just had to say the prayer and they were 100% fine with everything.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2018

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I had a 15 strong dust bandit group attack me while I was still getting walls set up. I couldn't take them in a straight fight so I split my guys up and got "lucky", 5 of them chased my 9 an squad while the others headed into my base to loot. I managed to regroup and defeat the bandits that chased me but took some damage in the process, but thankfully it didn't look like the bandits were in a hurry to leave my building so I tried to finish building the walls and heal up a bit before trying to tackle them.

Then the starving bandits came.

about 20 of the fuckers jumped me while I was trying to get my walls up and in the confusion 1 of my guys went down and the others were hurt, so I ran everyone who could the hell away hoping to draw them off. Maybe 5 of them followed, the rest went into my base. My troops could more or less handle the starving bandits 1 on 1, so after everyone wrapped up their respective fights I regrouped again to try and figure out what to do about the now 25ish enemies all standing in my main building.

I poked one of my guys heads in to see what the hell was going on and saw that the two sides were engaged in a massive pitched, with the starving bandits just about holding on due to sheer weight of numbers. I considered for a moment letting it play out but :black101: won out and I joined the brawl.

Another 3 of my guys went down, mostly due to enemies behind me reviving and getting cheap shots in while I was trying to keep a coherent battle line but I eventually triumphed! I'm now the proud owner of way too many corpses to deal with and have half of my guys battered to poo poo, my walls still incomplete and I'm pretty sure my crops have all rotted on the vine, but nobody died or lost a limb and everyone came out of it with some heft stat boosts.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there a setting or a mod or something, anything you can do so the game warns you slightly more about when you're being attacked? Your character portraits flashing red is very easy to miss when you're busy dealing with all the other crap you need to.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I went with:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1424734278

Because I still want there to be some challenge left.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I read somewhere that hiver's don't fight beakthings anymore, do be careful next time you try that.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
From what I can tell, no. Your dogs will continue to feast on enemy limbs eternally.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I keep them on passive inside my main building. If the fight isn't too hard I'll bring him out to tear some assholes leg off, but otherwise they are there for moral support.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
gently caress that, everyone goes into the meat grinder and whoever can walk away carries thier fallen comrades.

Oh, are limbs plug and play? Like if I delimb an enemy and hold on to it can I stick it onto one of my own guys who loses the same limb?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Why the gently caress does it take 33 hours to make a leather turtleneck?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
My current mercs have some sort of a beef with the slaver's guild. Its slow going but I'm raising my relations with the slavers guild by healing them whenever my mercs kick thier asses.

If I can get them friendly, will they not try and kidnap my guys if they go down near them?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its too good not to make, but dear god is it cutting into my bandanna profits.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah its strange how little you interact with NPCs other than beating them up or buying stuff from them.

Bieng able to sign up with the city guard, working as a caravan hand or maybe even the various bandit groups would be great, and open up the early game where you have no support structure if something goes wrong.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The Band of Bones that are comming to get themselves pincushioned trying to raid my base seem to have spawned on an unpathable cliff. Is there any way to reset thier position?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Not that I know of. It would be great if something high lighted NPCs in general.

Also beware of the occasional bonedog that roams around the borderzone. They aren't common but they'll end your playthrough in a hurry if one decides it wants your limbs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
True, bone dogs don't run fast, but if your attention is elsewhere and a bonedog cripples your legs with its opening attacks theres not much you'll be able to do about it.

Everything else, yeah, as long as you have another character to pick your downed guys up and patch them up getting your rear end kicked is mostly a bonus.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Vakal posted:

Don't worry guys, I'm sure he'll pull through.

he just needs to be bandaged up a bit, he'll be fine.

That is the longest unconscious timer I've ever seen though, what exactly did you hit him with.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Turpitude posted:

I also bought a pupper it's name is captain woof. It got its head bashed in a fight so now it is my sweet comatose purse dog that my main dude carries around. One day captain woof will wake up and be the best boy.

You can actually stick animals, or at least dogs, in beds. You have to have another character pick them up and put them in, and the animation is bit wonky but it works really well.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's part of the jank tax you pay for playing a game that's so batshit crazy and expansive as kenshi is. Frankly, if kenshi didn't crash every now and then I'd be a little disappointed.

And probably get a lot less sleep, crashing is the games way of telling you to take a break.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

They're also really nice and have never done anything to hurt anyone. I wouldn't call that a reason, more "guilt by association." :shrug:

Don't they sell people lanterns of illumination and then tell people it will allow them to safely travel through the fog lands? I dunno about you but I consider telling people that they can safely travel through one of the most dangerous areas in the world if you buy this tchotchke, and knowing that it doesn't, to be relatively evil.

I will agree its lesser than what some of the other nations do, but still.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Sure, I'm not trying to equate what they do with slavery or genocide or anything else the big 3 get up to, but they are willing to prey on people's gullibility (and sometimes desperation) and knowingly send them to their deaths.Their terrible, horrifying, agonizing, drawn out deaths.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well, when the bandits actually starve it'll at least alleviate the problem.

If the starving people are cannibals maybe it can even solve the whole problem!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah I think the intention is that if you want the safety of living in a guarded city then you've got to pay the tax of having to buy your resources like iron plates/building resources/whatever at a store rather than being able to make your own for (nearly) free.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Fewd posted:

A thing I had forgotten but just found out again :frogsiren:

You can re-generate the pathing map for npc's with CTRL+SHIFT+F11

I made a new base yesterday and it's bugging the hell out of npc pathing, and I seem to recall that thing saved a previous base of mine. It makes the npc's acknowledge your walls and such and properly path around them.

In other news, United Cities is full of loving idiots. I even paid my taxes and all cause I don't wanna get rolled by a horde of samurai but yet, a noble hunter and his sycophants assault my base? I'm glad I already got some buff dudes and had couple harpoons up. But after wiping the floor with those morons, a samurai patrol comes by, "assists" the noble and also attacks my base. So I murder them too. Now so far the good part in this, along with some expensive swords to sell, is that my UC reputation hasn't gone in one direction or another. I would've thought they are opposed to me tearing a noble apart, stripping him of everything and dumping the guy in middle of Venge with his cock gently flapping in the wind as his last worldly possession.

The nobles and UC are actually different, allied factions.

The only way to stop the noble hunters from trying to scalp your guys is to ally with the UC, which I think also allies you with the nobles. Or at least flips a switch somewhere that makes them non-aggressive towards you.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've got 15 or so melee fighters and 3 crossbowers. I let the melee guys sort themselves out and run around the edge of the fights with the crossbow users and pick off exposed enemies or run interference if new enemies appear.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Nope!

From what I can tell, the bugmaster essentially has (N+1) bugs, where N represents waaaaaaay too many bugs for you to handle.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How strong are those, actually? I see them for sale but they always have something like a 0.01 stat multiplier which makes me wary of grabbing one.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That's incredible, I'll probably avoid getting any so as not to make the game too easy.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Once your guys start actually winning fights, or at least not getting totally demolished, you'll see melee attack and defence go up fairly quickly since you don't have these massive recovery breaks between fighting.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When you explore try and leave a few people behind to prevent catastrophic failure like that. They can also attempt to rescue the rest of the party, assuming you didn't wipe to something like a beakthing that'll just annihilate any follow up as well.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

That brings up the other question of what is weapon 1 and 2 slots?

It exists to make your martial artists inexplicably suck when you forget to take the crap weapons out of the slots after looting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Not that I could ever find, and you should look at it as free toughness training anyway.