Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Beeftweeter posted:

at the same time with elon's pie in the sky promises and tesla's dwindling talent, the board of directors is probably thinking they'd need acquisitions to make anything he's saying a reality

as Delaware courts have confirmed the directors are thinking whatever elon wants them to think

but no debt gives them lots of opportunity

the funniest option? maybe commercial real estate. or ibm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

evilweasel posted:

yeah: i have been convinced by 1 and 2 for a while that tesla at that time was relentlessly cooking the books. they had similar issues with chief legal roles too, where people were getting jobs they weren't qualified for and were huge career-makers, and then suddenly realizing they want any job but that one. but i don't know they're still doing it - but given how much of musk's net worth is tesla stock it seems likely they're gonna start again

they've had a ton of turnover in the past two weeks even. their head of investor relations left yesterday, literally right after their earnings call. there's definitely something fishy there

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

in a well actually posted:

as Delaware courts have confirmed the directors are thinking whatever elon wants them to think

but no debt gives them lots of opportunity

the funniest option? maybe commercial real estate. or ibm.

i think buying ibm would be impossible for elon. the federal government would never allow it

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

i cannot wait for elon to pull a roth and do this. like what would tesla buy? i guess they could go and grab companies like rivian or lucid much to the delight of detroit's automakers? this is an area i do not have a lot of knowledge in personally

I've no idea what Tesla could buy now, but I wonder if Hyundai's acquisition of Boston Dynamics (announced Dec. 2020, closed June 2021) is what inspired the stupid dancer-in-a-suit Tesla Bot announcement (Aug. 2021)

good thing that the Tesla board hired a leader who is definitely thinking very deep thoughts about this stuff, instead of spending all day every day posting racist memes while full of ketamine and hgh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

i think buying ibm would be impossible for elon. the federal government would never allow it

They let him launch their spy satellites. I am sure they could firewall ibm federal or whatever they care about.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lain Iwakura posted:

that's true, also their market cap kind of makes that hard with tesla's free cash flow, i closed the tab on the 10-Q but i think it was ~$50 billion

commercial real estate seems like a good possibility though. hell they're already kinda doing that by announcing new factories that never materialize, and there's always elon's company city in texas that could use some "new" investment

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1782845478801117567

yeah, democrats. why are you giving foreign aid to people of color in haiti and not poor people? that is racist

gently caress you elon. rear end in a top hat. go burn in a car fire.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I'm sure the banks that are still holding twitter paper would write some loans

think of it as aol time warner

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

gently caress you elon. rear end in a top hat. go burn in a car fire.

isn't hakeem jeffries the head of the congressional black caucus (as well as being minority leader)? if so, seems like he'd be concerned with people of color

e: minority leader in the house. not that "minority" lol

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Beeftweeter posted:

isn't hakeem jeffries the head of the congressional black caucus (as well as being minority leader)? if so, seems like he'd be concerned with people of color

e: minority leader in the house. not that "minority" lol

They're both being dumb imo. Jeffries is trying to score some pointless political points by framing it that way for NPR liberals instead of just saying "we also included aid to humanitarian disasters in parts of the world usually ignored by news coverage, etc"

Musk is just being a racist shitbird.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

nobody is doing this

it's happening often enough that a lot of people are noticing and getting annoyed. if the stock crashes, that's worth posting. babbling about why it might have gone up or down by 5 dollars today (i don't know or care who cathy wood is) is not interesting.

same deal as musk retweeting some nazi. we all know it happens. it's not interesting. no need to post it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

did anyone call it the Actual Lee yet

"never drive uphill, me boys" but it was too late

please call a tow truck

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

it's happening often enough that a lot of people are noticing and getting annoyed. if the stock crashes, that's worth posting. babbling about why it might have gone up or down by 5 dollars today (i don't know or care who cathy wood is) is not interesting.

same deal as musk retweeting some nazi. we all know it happens. it's not interesting. no need to post it

settle down. tesla's quarterly results were yesterday

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was probably part of the problem in terms of posting about the stock but I do try and focus only on a) when it drops a lot because that's funny b) how it behaves around quarterly reports

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, unless it drops a lot i promise you in probably a day (eh, and a half) from now we will have moved on

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
DID SOMEONE SAY NORTEL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is a really good 2 part series on why nortel so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6xwMIUPHss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDdC3-LT7pM

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Beeftweeter posted:

so that kinda answers my question about optimus i guess. their entire R&D expenditure for the quarter was $1.15 billion, compared to $771 million in 2023

assuming that was steady per quarter, that means tesla as a whole was previously spending less than $12 billion per year on R&D and might hit (or exceed) that number at the end of this year. doesn't seem like a lot to spend on allegedly cutting-edge tech across their whole enterprise

Just curious how these numbers add up? Less than a billion in one quarter does not sound like it adds to $12B over the year. R&D in a tech company is almost entirely human resources, so tripling the spend one quarter then shrinking it down again represents an enormous turnover of people.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/19/oxford-future-of-humanity-institute-closes posted:

Oxford shuts down institute run by Elon Musk-backed philosopher

Oxford University this week shut down an academic institute run by one of Elon Musk’s favorite philosophers. The Future of Humanity Institute, dedicated to the long-termism movement and other Silicon Valley-endorsed ideas such as effective altruism, closed this week after 19 years of operation. Musk had donated £1m to the FHI in 2015 through a sister organization to research the threat of artificial intelligence. He had also boosted the ideas of its leader for nearly a decade on X, formerly Twitter.

The center was run by Nick Bostrom, a Swedish-born philosopher whose writings about the long-term threat of AI replacing humanity turned him into a celebrity figure among the tech elite and routinely landed him on lists of top global thinkers. Sam Altman of OpenAI, Bill Gates of Microsoft and Musk all wrote blurbs for his 2014 bestselling book Superintelligence.

“Worth reading Superintelligence by Bostrom. We need to be super careful with AI. Potentially more dangerous than nukes,” Musk tweeted in 2014.

Bostrom resigned from Oxford following the institute’s closure, he said.

The closure of Bostrom’s center is a further blow to the effective altruism and long-termism movements that the philosopher had spent decades championing, and which in recent years have become mired in scandals related to racism, sexual harassment and financial fraud. Bostrom himself issued an apology last year after a decades-old email surfaced in which he claimed “Blacks are more stupid than whites” and used the N-word.

Bostrom – who popularized the theory that humanity may be living in a simulation, one that Musk often repeats – spoke about the closure of the institute in a lengthy final report published on its website this week. He praised the work of the center, while also saying that it faced “administrative headwinds” from Oxford and its philosophy department.

what is it with these guys who can't stop thinking about nukes and saying the N-word

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just curious how these numbers add up? Less than a billion in one quarter does not sound like it adds to $12B over the year. R&D in a tech company is almost entirely human resources, so tripling the spend one quarter then shrinking it down again represents an enormous turnover of people.

lol they don't, i got distracted by my dog while i was writing that and i guess i continued the thought while thinking i was talking about it being a monthly expenditure

so that'd be less than $4 billion last year, total, then

but either way i'd think "research and development" meant, well, that, and not "human resources"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

what is it with these guys who can't stop thinking about nukes and saying the N-word

can't believe the stupid bullshit foundation ran out of money when elon lost interest and also that the guy he threw money at is a racist

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

shackleford posted:

quote:

Bostrom – who popularized the theory that humanity may be living in a simulation

The man guilty of making me listen to people talk about this like it is a real thing deserves a harsher punishment than just losing his job.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cactrot posted:

The man guilty of making me listen to people talk about this like it is a real thing deserves a harsher punishment than just losing his job.

yeah, i was thinking that's probably the "headwinds" in the article, lol. something tells me that the oxford philosophy department probably cares less about him being a racist than just an annoying moron

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Beeftweeter posted:

lol they don't, i got distracted by my dog while i was writing that and i guess i continued the thought while thinking i was talking about it being a monthly expenditure

so that'd be less than $4 billion last year, total, then

but either way i'd think "research and development" meant, well, that, and not "human resources"

Oh no I just mean that it's mostly salaries, office space, benefits, etc. Actual materials are an expense but relatively small unless you're trying to build a fusion plant or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lain Iwakura posted:

looking at this, i wish it had more context. being that there were rumours of bugs having been placed at their headquarters, if true and defence was just trying to hide this fact, they had physical access to these computers which as you know, all bets are off especially in the early 00s. unfortunately it would require getting ahold of firmware from that point in time and then reversing 25-year old code, which would probably be unpleasant and only rewarding for clout reasons

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/did-a-chinese-hack-kill-canada-s-greatest-tech-company-1.1459269

a more recent article with more background and a better timeline. no real technical details of course and they spend most of their time speculating about the timing wrt huawei's ascendance, but it's something.

quote:

Nortel’s giddy, gilded growth also made it a target. Starting in the late 1990s, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, the country’s version of the CIA, became aware of “unusual traffic,” suggesting that hackers in China were stealing data and documents from Ottawa. “We went to Nortel in Ottawa, and we told the executives, ‘They’re sucking your intellectual property out,’ ” says Michel Juneau-Katsuya, who headed the agency’s Asia-Pacific unit at the time. “They didn’t do anything.”

By 2004 the hackers had breached Nortel’s uppermost ranks. The person who sent the roughly 800 documents to China appeared to be none other than Frank Dunn, Nortel’s embattled chief executive officer. Four days before Dunn was fired — fallout from an accounting scandal on his watch that forced the company to restate its financial results — someone using his login had relayed the PowerPoints and other sensitive files to an IP address registered to Shanghai Faxian Corp. It appeared to be a front company with no known business dealings with Nortel.

The thief wasn’t Dunn, of course. Hackers had stolen his password and those of six others from Nortel’s prized optical unit, in which the company had invested billions of dollars. Using a script called Il.browse, the intruders swept up entire categories from Nortel’s systems: Product Development, Research and Development, Design Documents & Minutes, and more. “They were taking the whole contents of a folder — it was like a vacuum cleaner approach,” says Brian Shields, who was then a senior adviser on systems security and part of the five-person team that investigated the breach.

Years later, Shields would look at the hack, and Nortel’s failure to adequately respond to it, as the beginning of the end of the company. Perhaps because of the hubris that came from being a market leader, or because it was distracted by a series of business failures, Nortel never tried to determine how the credentials were stolen. It simply changed the passwords; predictably, the hacks continued. By 2009 the company was bankrupt.

Whoever did it, the Nortel attack was in some respects even worse than other well-known cases of alleged cyber espionage. It lasted from at least 2000 to 2009, twice as long as any of the hacks in the Mandiant study. Shields says the techniques were sophisticated — obviously the work of state actors rather than a private company. Nortel executives, consumed by the company’s turnaround attempt, did almost nothing. Two board members say it never came up even though they were meeting management almost weekly in 2004. Dunn, the fired CEO, wasn’t informed, because he was ousted before the breach was detected and replaced by Bill Owens, a company director and retired U.S. Navy admiral.

But over the next five years — as its security team would discover the hack, probe it, then set it aside — Nortel, a global technological juggernaut, would respond to one of the longest-running Chinese hacks of the decade with a password update and a series of overtures to Huawei.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh no I just mean that it's mostly salaries, office space, benefits, etc. Actual materials are an expense but relatively small unless you're trying to build a fusion plant or something.

ah — well, they are undoubtedly burning a shitload of cash on elon's dumb whims, but who knows, you're right that the churn is probably contributing a lot there, too. it all wasn't itemized in the table i saw but it could be elsewhere i suppose

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

holy lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, i was thinking that's probably the "headwinds" in the article, lol. something tells me that the oxford philosophy department probably cares less about him being a racist than just an annoying moron

it's definitely "annoying moron"

getting caught having sent some racist stuff to a mailing list three decades ago wouldn't sink anyone's career. that's something that can easily be fixed with an apology letter and a promise to never do it again

on the other hand, when someone does that but half their apology letter is dedicated to a defense of eugenics, that's what makes people start thinking they probably don't want to be associated with that person anymore

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

infernal machines posted:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/did-a-chinese-hack-kill-canada-s-greatest-tech-company-1.1459269

a more recent article with more background and a better timeline. no real technical details of course and they spend most of their time speculating about the timing wrt huawei's ascendance, but it's something.

god. if nortel were a company in the 2010s with this poo poo going on, i would have been posting so hard about it in secfuck. huawei's ascendance largely came out of reverse engineering cisco and partnering with nortel--i am not a subscriber to the idea that they lifted from nortel through espionage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Main Paineframe posted:

getting caught having sent some racist stuff to a mailing list three decades ago wouldn't sink anyone's career. that's something that can easily be fixed with an apology letter and a promise to never do it again

on the other hand, when someone does that but half their apology letter is dedicated to a defense of eugenics, that's what makes people start thinking they probably don't want to be associated with that person anymore

yeah exactly, plus i'm sure if any of them spent any extensive time around the guy he'd eventually opine on race, seems like the type lol

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Main Paineframe posted:

that's less that they disagree with him though and more that he's saying the quiet part out loud, which you dont do in refined society

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mrmcd posted:

They're both being dumb imo. Jeffries is trying to score some pointless political points by framing it that way for NPR liberals instead of just saying "we also included aid to humanitarian disasters in parts of the world usually ignored by news coverage, etc"

Musk is just being a racist shitbird.

yeah i get that, but otoh it’s precisely because the affected are people of color that these things get ignored and drop off the news.

so like i’m pretty much fine with the original tweet as it is, it correctly points that out (indirectly).

and i’ll just add that “income based” is hilarious when we’re talking about disasters in other countries. you can’t just like go “bing bong kenyans make 66 dollars per day* so they deserve a billion; whereas vanuatans make 5 dollars per day so they get 10 billion”. that’s absolutely not how it works

*numbers are made up you get the idea

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lain Iwakura posted:

IBM has a history of helping Nazis though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m glad the effective altruist movement is being disgraced often these days.

sbf is a hero for championing it so hard, doing exactly what effective altruists say they’ll do, then blowing up his company and going to jail for 25 years while publicly being owned for being an effective altruist

absolutely a legend to disgrace the movement like that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lain Iwakura posted:

god. if nortel were a company in the 2010s with this poo poo going on, i would have been posting so hard about it in secfuck. huawei's ascendance largely came out of reverse engineering cisco and partnering with nortel--i am not a subscriber to the idea that they lifted from nortel through espionage

it seems pretty likely they were able to skip over a ton of hurdles because of espionage though

e: maybe not huawei directly, but the sector in china in general. they weren't like, technologically backwards back then, but they weren't really indigenously competitive with western tech companies (or even eastern now-peers like japan)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 24, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lain Iwakura posted:

yeah, but everyone loves a conspiracy and what better way to explain the death of canada's tech darling? the fact that this stuff was being published in 2020 probably has more to do with our current geopolitical climate than anything that actually happened at the turn of the century, but the breach was by all accounts pretty egregious

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Beeftweeter posted:

it seems pretty likely they were able to skip over a ton of hurdles because of espionage though

e: maybe not huawei directly, but the sector in china in general. they weren't like, technologically backwards back then, but they weren't really indigenously competitive with western tech companies (or even eastern now-peers like japan)

i think that this is a reasonable opinion. tech companies are incestuous so even if not directly, they likely did benefit indirectly

gschmidl posted:

IBM has a history of helping Nazis though.

i mean, you're not wrong

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

infernal machines posted:

yeah, but everyone loves a conspiracy and what better way to explain the death of canada's tech darling? the fact that this stuff was being published in 2020 probably has more to do with our current geopolitical climate than anything that actually happened at the turn of the century, but the breach was by all accounts pretty egregious

during this time, huawei was on the verge of being banned from operating 5g network infrastructure so yeah.

that said, sorry for derailing the tesla thread with talk about nortel, but it was hard to not make these comparisons the moment i saw poo poo about GAAP EPS

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i prefer your taking stock of nortel to the thread's takes on stocks :shobon:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Eeyo posted:

i’m glad the effective altruist movement is being disgraced often these days.

sbf is a hero for championing it so hard, doing exactly what effective altruists say they’ll do, then blowing up his company and going to jail for 25 years while publicly being owned for being an effective altruist

absolutely a legend to disgrace the movement like that.

love how many "longtermists" seem to think that climate change is no biggie because it 'probably' won't make humanity extinct

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Improbable Lobster posted:

love how many "longtermists" seemt o think that climate change is no biggie because it 'probably' won't make humanity extinct

more smart white babies -> free unlimited energy -> we all live in floating air conditioned domes in the sky. Simple as